• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

glaurung

Could someone link some weapon store/upgrade system screenshots?

Don't insert them into the thread if they're considered spoilers.

USD

I hope people actually use mics when playing the full game (maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 people used when in the demo). If I'm paired with a random person without a mic, I'm just going to quit.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
So let's say I'm playing SP and there would be a difficult boss fight or something I couldn't manage alone. Could someone drop in, help me, drop out and I would still be in my SP campaign?

Sectus

kamorra said:
So let's say I'm playing SP and there would be a difficult boss fight or something I couldn't manage alone. Could someone drop in, help me, drop out and I would still be in my SP campaign?
As far as I know this is how it works:
Person joining: Game reverts to previous checkpoint and both players gets a chance to check their equipment.
Person quitting: Second player is replaced with AI instantly and the game continues with no other changes.

So what you're thinking should work just fine.

Zenith

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
And if you think those puzzles were any easier than the ones in the classic RE games you probably should go back and play the old RE games again. The puzzles were on the same level, there was just less of them.

They really weren't.

USD

96 hours and this game shall be mine. I'm already hard thinking about it.

Also me and random guy perfected both stages of the demo, no damage, no grabs. It was beautiful.

x3n05 said:
I am amazed people still speak like this, as I was always under the impression anything from white to black was a colour...

fair enough...but thats the general term used out in SA, by whites and blacks...I dont really agree with the term, but the group is pretty damn ethnically mixed...indian, black, white, Filipino all in there... I agree its a bit of a stupid term though

I'm mixed race myself, not that it matters...

Nemesis_

ECapcom11.jpg
ECapcom22.jpg

ECapcom33.jpg
ECapcom44.jpg

ECapcom55.jpg

ECapcom66.jpg
ECapcom77.jpg

ECapcom88.jpg

Game disc was in my Xbox, hence why it's missing ^_^

(Special Thanks to VOOK for getting it to me =D)

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Second said:
Worst reviewed main RE game ever? :/
So far, yeah, it is. Even RE0 got better reviews. But hey, only Eurogamer's review was actually drivel. CVG gave it 7.3 but it didn't read like it was written by a slobbering monkey.

And people said I was a troll when I said the backlash was coming. :lol

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
From what I'm reading... if someone (like me) never played RE4, RE5 will be an awesome game?

Ridley327 said:
Let's see here...

-the dial puzzle behind the church for the green cat's eye
-the light puzzle in the church itself
-the portrait puzzle in the castle
-Ashley's slide puzzle

Sure, there's less of them compared to other games, but there were definitely more than one puzzle that fits your criteria.

I stand corrected, you're right still they we're awfully easy, forgettable and a small rock in a ocean of rocks of content.I don't know if RE5 has less puzzles or even none, but you hardly can say that RE5 lost the puzzle component of RE4 when RE4 was 18 hours of action and like 10 minutes of puzzles.

MiamiWesker said:
And if you think those puzzles were any easier than the ones in the classic RE games you probably should go back and play the old RE games again. The puzzles were on the same level, there was just less of them.

At least they take more time, the dial puzzle was like two movements same with the one in the laboratory, the only one who it's as hard and take as time as some of other RE is the light puzzle.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
TheCardPlayer said:
So far, yeah, it is. Even RE0 got better reviews. But hey, only Eurogamer's review was actually drivel. CVG gave it 7.3 but it didn't read like it was written by a slobbering monkey.

As far as I can tell, you're still an attention craving troll with delusions. The game's still not even technically released yet. We won't know a valid aggregate until over 30 reviews.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lakitu said:
I've not been reading the reviews, but can anyone tell me what they think are the negatives of the game?

- Doesn't play like older Resident Evils
- Sheva AI (some reviews commend it though)
- Better to play Coop (a pro and a con)
- Can't move and shoot at the same time
- Fairly linear
- Lack of puzzles

Lakitu

st5fu
GuardianE said:
- Doesn't play like older Resident Evils
- Sheva AI (some reviews commend it though)
- Better to play Coop (a pro and a con)
- Can't move and shoot at the same time
- Fairly linear
- Lack of puzzles

Thanks!

Davey Cakes

The negatives of the game are probably the little things that most RE fans (whether they enjoyed the old games, RE4, or both), tend to ignore anyway.

It doesn't matter whether the game gets 9's or 7's. RE5 is simply another case of "you already knew you were going to buy it." People who've been looking forward to it will most definitely have fun, and that's what matters in the end.

Screw these gigantic hype-trains.

Sectus

TheCardPlayer said:

I don't think it's very unexpected considering almost every RE5 thread has had lots of negativity.

I personally don't care at all, I realized a long time ago I can't trust reviews. Especially with their tendency to always rate games based on the amount of hype it has recieved. There's a few specific things which annoy me though. Several reviews complain about the AI, which is fair enough. I think it works okay but they are valid complaints. But can't they spend the same amount of space writing about how awesome the coop is?

"Another human player jumping into your game, which can be done online or offline at any time, makes RE5 an easier if altogether better experience." - That's *all* CVG wrote about the coop. They also failed to mention anything about the mercenaries mode, which almost as fun as the main story mode.

I suppose if Capcom hyped the game as purely a coop game and intentionally made the AI teammate even worse reviewers might have gotten the point. You don't see many reviews about L4D complaining constantly about the AI and only barely mentioning that it has support for coop with real human players.

The constant complaints about RE5 being too similar to RE4 is also annoying. I really really really wish they'll start complaining about the same thing about other games. We've got a few genres out there which have become so stagnant that all of the 20-50 games of that genre we get a year play the same.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
weirdly enough reading the CVG and Eurogamer reviews has made me more excited to play the game. all the negatives they list either don't matter to me or will be nullified (sheva's AI, i will always play co-op)

i really can't wait to play it now really

The one thing I would have liked for them to have put in the filter options was the choice to play with people who also haven't cleared the game. I beat a part of chapter 6 playing with some dude with infinite bullets, making the segment a total cakewalk.

Risette

A Good Citizen
People with the game:
Is the AI partner competent enough to beat the game on Hard by myself? I've been playing the demo recently by myself and it's.. pretty bad. (the partner AI, not the gameplay) Sheva wastes ammo like crazy and barely kills anything, so I switch out her rifle with my shotgun. At first (inside the house) it's good; she shoots them and it isn't a waste because the shotgun is like a one hit kill and ammo for it drops often enough.

When we get outside of the house with the axe guy, it's almost like her AI turns off. Once, when I got surrounded by 5+ Majini+the axe guy and called her over; she came to me but I was getting backed into a wall so she couldn't come right next to me. She was standing directly behind them all, with her shotgun fully loaded...and she decides to shoot a Majini in the distance (with a shotgun!) instead of taking out the crowd. The axe guy does his spinning-axe-attack-thing and kills us both! She also does other stupid things, like when I shoot the barrels and she's on the other side of the fire, she doesn't walk around it. She just runs straight through the fire, and takes a pretty large amount of damage. Reloading in front of the axe guy (you can guess what happens) is also common for her. I'm just hoping this is a demo thing, like the AI code was incomplete or the difficulty is set to the easiest and her AI scales with it.
I ask this because I'd prefer not to play online for my first playthrough, there could be accidental cutscene skipping (can an online partner playing as Sheva even skip a cutscene?) or connection dropouts during a cutscene.

Sorry if it's too long/hard to read/full of grammar mistakes. Also, if part of your answer says she has trouble on some bosses just say "she has some trouble on a boss or two." Please don't say which one/what boss (even if it's tagged) because I'll be tempted to read it. (<-- sorry if this part sounds a bit assholish/demanding but I just couldn't think of a better way to word it :D ) I've been unspoiled so far for everything except for one boss (that wasn't in the trailers I saw) when I looked at a trophy list waaay back in November (possibly fake), and some environments. So obviously, I'd want it to stay like that.

Thanks in advance! (especially if you read the whole thing :lol)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I haven't gotten super far with the AI on my Veteran playthrough, but my impressions are that she can potentially get irritating in Single Player Campaign Veteran. Remember that you can pretty much treat her like a mule this way and give her no ammo, if you're competent enough on your own. Just keep your finger ready on the Partner Command button to call her over. In my experience, she usually stops what she's doing and comes over to you if you call out to her.

You'll come across lots of weapons in RE5. If you're concerned about Sheva wasting ammo or not being effective, keep her in Cover mode and give her a gun/type of ammo you don't plan on using, and treat her as a backpack. :)

Lince

Banned
old? Spanish site Meristation.com

Link
8 / 10

+ story, fan service plot.
+ graphics and sound
+ coop mode, fun and intense
+ atmospheric
+ nice extras

- game play feels old (tank controls)
- straightforward levels from A to B, no exploring
- almost no puzzles
- RE4 reused

Well played to chapter 2-1 on normal single player, and then played to chapter 2-3 on vetran co-op. Wow what an awesome game. I haven't been this happy playing a RE game since well RE4 and I love it!

The first quick time event was bad ass and totally unexpected. I'm dying to get back to more though I went to the Renassaince festival this weekend and didn't have much time to play. So far my play time is at 3 hours and 53 minutes on chapter 2-3 on co-op vetran.

Sectus

Pop On Arrival said:
The one thing I would have liked for them to have put in the filter options was the choice to play with people who also haven't cleared the game. I beat a part of chapter 6 playing with some dude with infinite bullets, making the segment a total cakewalk.
There's a toggle when hosting which turns infinite ammo off (although there's 2 weapons in the game which has infinite ammo regardless, but they have other big disadvantages despite having unlimited ammo). And when searching for online games you can see which ones has infinite ammo toggled on/off. But yeah, it's still a problem. Even if infinite ammo is off, the person joining could have all weapons upgraded which would also make things stupidly easy unless you're playing on Pro difficulty.

USD

Rash said:
The negatives of the game are probably the little things that most RE fans (whether they enjoyed the old games, RE4, or both), tend to ignore anyway.

It doesn't matter whether the game gets 9's or 7's. RE5 is simply another case of "you already knew you were going to buy it." People who've been looking forward to it will most definitely have fun, and that's what matters in the end.

Screw these gigantic hype-trains.
Yeah, most of the complaints against the game are things that I don't care about or consider to be minor issues at best. Not like I care that about how the game reviews (good, great, or average) that much anyway, there's no way I'd play the demo as much as I have and not buy the full game the second it comes out.
Sectus said:
There's a toggle when hosting which turns infinite ammo off (although there's 2 weapons in the game which has infinite ammo regardless, but they have other big disadvantages despite having unlimited ammo). And when searching for online games you can see which ones has infinite ammo toggled on/off. But yeah, it's still a problem. Even if infinite ammo is off, the person joining could have all weapons upgraded which would also make things stupidly easy unless you're playing on Pro difficulty.
Yeah I'm worried about this kind of stuff too. It won't be a problem my first playthrough, since I'll be playing with a friend, but it might affect my latter ones (and it might be myself causing the problem).

RPGCrazied

There are files in this RE right? I love those, most of the time if gives you good backstory an stuff

What about the bottlecap thing from 4?

Sectus

RPGCrazied said:
There are files in this RE right? I love those, most of the time if gives you good backstory an stuff

What about the bottlecap thing from 4?
Yup, there's files in the game. Ingame there's probably the same amount of files that you'd find in RE4. In the menus you've got another option which has about 12 files which are VERY big and provides a ton of backstory, and also explains a few things which people might have thought to be plotholes.

xfactor

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Well, it didn't take me long to find an exploit in the saving system to give you a shit ton of ammo quickly.

Edit: This also works for money too. I said 'wow'. QA people need to be fired. :lol

You do know its done intentionally? Like how you're allowed to fight monsters which gives high EXP in RPG repeatedly to level up your character?

GQman2121

Banned
My import store has it already, so I'm going to stop by after work and pick it up. Hope to tear into it later this week with some of you!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
xfactor said:
You do know its done intentionally? Like how you're allowed to fight monsters which gives high EXP in RPG repeatedly to level up your character?

I can't imagine this was done intentionally. Maybe it was left in after seeing it, because Capcom didn't think it was worth changing, but I doubt it was put in deliberately. The whole point of saving things separately is if one character screwed up his profile while playing coop, or has to leave from online coop.

Grinding isn't really comparable to this trick, because it requires no skill and no gameplay to perform. It's like the Fable II experience trick with Coop. Same principle. I believe Fable II later patched it.

RPGCrazied said:
cool, thats better than nothing

so its alittle shorter than 4, and almost no puzzles? Thats fine with me.

Leaving puzzles out of it will end up being a good thing. Sure, it's fun to solve a puzzle for the first time, but RE5 is built around its replay value and doing a mindless puzzle you've sold 8 times before will just get tedious real fast.

fernoca

Well, I can't allow bigger Sheva pics than Chris' .. :p ...so.. (though compression damages it a little.. :( )

2z8vvrm.jpg

Where's 'mah "shirtless Chris" or "speedo-only Chris" DLC costume Capcom?!!!!

fernoca

Oh..
About that "secret" mode.. :p
Anyone knows if the music from it it's similar to the one in '4' (as in similar and/or taken directly from P.N.03)???

TheCardPlayer

fernoca said:
Oh..
About that "secret" mode.. :p
Anyone knows if the music from it it's similar to the one in '4' (as in similar and/or taken directly from P.N.03)???
No unfortunately. Even worse, each character has the same song.

TheCardPlayer

fernoca said:
Aww.. :(
Oh well, awesome game is still awesome. :)
I did cancel my pre-order but every friend of mine is getting the game so I'll play this bitch through in co-op. If it's good enough, I'll plop down some cash.

Top Bottom