• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

{Mike}

Banned
Hopes :

lot of secrets to find like the medallion in the demo
lots of unlockables
some old monsters (licker, etc.)
unique bosses
fun levels
a comprehensive story

That's all I really care about.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
I'm starting to get really hyped for this. I love the fact that spring break for me is all next week so I'll actually have time to play this.

Ridley327

Incidentally, I forgot about another puzzle (the one that opens Mendez's door, as easy at it was) and funny enough, there's more puzzles in RE4 than there are in Silent Hill 3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can someone put my fears to rest about Mercenaries mode? I haven't unlocked it yet. For the different characters, without spoiling anything, do they at least have different starting equipment, running speed, and health like they did in RE4? That gave the minigame such depth in that incarnation.

burgerdog

All of chapter 2 is so fucking awesome, the game kicks it up a notch right after chapter 1. Intro cinematic to chapter 3 is quite good, too. The game went from awesome to holyshityes I love RE.

Nikorasu

One of my friends got the game today
through somewhat illicit means >_>
and we got through the first 3 chapters together. The only real complaint I have is the utterly awful and disappointing
Gigante turret fight
. Otherwise it's pretty much more RE4, which is AWESOME. Seriously, there are more enemies at any given time and there are more frequent mobs but it's no more a straight action game than 4 was. I'm replaying 4 on professional right now and the pacing and intensity of combat is about the same. There are plenty of times where we were solving co-op environmental puzzles or exploring expansive areas searching for pieces of a crest to unlock a door. These are the kind of puzzles I prefer over abstract tile sliding or symbol matching deals.

It's still about 4 days until the thing lands in my part of the woods. Now that I've had a nice big taste it's gonna be excrutiating. D:

Yeah the
new El Gigante fight
is the only thing about the game that doesn't settle with me. Just seems pointless especially since
you fought not one, but two of those bastards at the same time in RE4 w/out the assistance of hardcore weaponry (sans the rocket launcher of course). It's just been there, done that, nothing scary because we've been in much worse circumstances

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, not able to get it today.

Tomorrow it is... hopefully. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Australian release date is the Thursday the 12th anyway. Ha-ha.

I WILL GET THIS GAME ON WEDNESDAY! MARK MY WORDS.

duckroll

brandonh83 said:
Yeah the
new El Gigante fight
is the only thing about the game that doesn't settle with me. Just seems pointless especially since
you fought not one, but two of those bastards at the same time in RE4 w/out the assistance of hardcore weaponry (sans the rocket launcher of course). It's just been there, done that, nothing scary because we've been in much worse circumstances

Seemed to me they just wanted to have a cool boss for the end of the rail sequence, but didn't want to reuse something already in the rest of the game. I thought it was pretty fun, and it might also be a testbed to see how well a RE4 enemy would work in a rail shooting sequence, no doubt to use in RE UC2! lolz.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rez said:
The Australian release date is the Thursday the 12th anyway. Ha-ha.

I WILL GET THIS GAME ON WEDNESDAY! MARK MY WORDS.

It is? That's odd...

Sidzed2

I had a couple of boss battles spoiled for me recently, but I must say that they've amped my hype up considerably.

I don't expect this game to polish my trousers and toussle my hair, so I hope I'm satisfied by it.

The only thing which could ruin the experience is the poor AI of that sultry minx, Sheva.

xfactor

Banned
GuardianE said:
Can someone put my fears to rest about Mercenaries mode? I haven't unlocked it yet. For the different characters, without spoiling anything, do they at least have different starting equipment, running speed, and health like they did in RE4? That gave the minigame such depth in that incarnation.

Yes. They have enough differences to seperate themselves. Also, there're 8 stages this time.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Progressing nicely through Mercenaries. I finally got to play co-op with a random Japanese player; we both kinda sucked and had to work hard to clear the levels with an A ranking, but we did it and now I'm on the seventh stage. Just one more to go!

{Mike} said:
Hopes :]

lot of secrets to find like the medallion in the demo
They're in.

lots of unlockables

Yes.

some old monsters (licker, etc.)

Yes.

unique bosses

Sorta.

fun levels

Yup; design isn't as good as RE4, but still decent and the action itself is damn fun.

a comprehensive story

Better than RE4's. It's not much but then this is RE. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Duck Amuck said:
There's a medallion in the demo?! I've played the demo 100 times or something and I've not encountered a medallion?!
It's at the bit where Chris throws Sheva over the building in the Shanty Town.

spoilers, I guess:
when you see the button prompt to trigger the assist move, do a 360 and look up and a little bit to the right.

Being able to look around in Type C sure is useful. =p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Thanks to online duo mode, with the help of a few Japanese players, I beat the shit out of Mercenaries and now just have the last stage,
the prison
, to go. It's an original stage with a modified boss character, based in a location you'll end up at when you get to the end of the game. Everyone is unlocked but a variation of
Wesker
. I think Tribal Sheva is the most-interesting of all the Mercs because of her bow. It's got unlimited ammo, extremely fast reload time, and kills all normal enemies in one hit, but the trade off is that there's no aiming reticule! You can also get this weapon to use in the main game, but only Sheva can use it (so after one play-through, you can too since you can then play as Sheva). You can buy it if you upgrade a rifle to the maximum setting.

Duo Mercs is so fucking awesome; with one guy I played with, we kept things going in the seventh (ship) stage for a good 5-7 minutes, getting over 115,000 points. That's still A rank though; I'd really like to know how the people with S and SS got those!

I'd actually love to see more Mercs DLC now, with new stages and some added characters. Another AWESOME option would be letting you use
Jill and Wesker
in the main game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished a run through of Public Assembly in the demo. Fuck, I love the level design of that area so much. Mercenaries is going to be fucking amazing.

Sidzed2 said:
The only thing which could ruin the experience is the poor AI of that sultry minx, Sheva.
I hated the demo repeatedly because of her AI. Tonight I got my brother over with his 360, we got him hooked up to a monitor, and we played co-op in the same room. It was good stuff. Both of the demo maps, which I couldn't get through originally, we went through in one go. The game is massively improved with a human partner, and I will no longer have to be cautious in my optimism for it. It can't come soon enough.

cvxfreak

I'm dying to play the 360 version myself.

Stupid RROD. But the wait will be worth it when I play it with my oh-so-sweet Red Elite. :D

How is the game from a story perspective? Are people satisfied with the amount of backstory, Weskers plotline and everything else they alluded to in all the trailers, that this game would finally bring answers and resolution to a bunch of questions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I turn on my 360 and see Wark, Nemesis and Sectus all playing RE5.

GAH :lol

getting over 115,000 points. That's still A rank though; I'd really like to know how the people with S and SS got those!

I only played the first merc stages (no coop), but I know that 60.000 points grants you a S ranks. Is S the max rank or is SS?.

I'd like to point out real quick that while I dislike the wrestlemania-izing of chris, I think sheva is great character, I love her accent, her costume, and I think she's very nice to look at. wish the game was JUST her, no co-op, no chris. :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
HorribleJames said:
I'd like to point out real quick that while I dislike the wrestlemania-izing of chris, I think sheva is great character, I love her accent, her costume, and I think she's very nice to look at. wish the game was JUST her, no co-op, no chris. :)

non-spoiler but tagging just in case ..

beat the game once and unlock the ability to play as sheva in SP, playing as her is WAY more fun compared to Chris, she moves noticeably faster, climbs up ladders and stuff faster, and she takes up half the screen space Chris does. Also her bee-hind is pretty nice to stare at.

the only drawback is that she pushes things a bit slower

GrayFoxPL

Fucking shit, I'm starting to want RE5 because of you guys. :lol

I'd like to ask about mercs:

Do unlock chars have different combat animations like Re4 or are they just skins?

It there Hunk? Other anti-terrorist type guy?

adamsapple

GrayFoxPL said:
Fucking shit, I'm starting to want RE5 because of you guys. :lol

I'd like to ask about mercs:

Do unlock chars have different combat animations like Re4 or are they just skins?

It there Hunk? Other anti-terrorist type guy?

no hunk, and the different characters are all noticeably different. Different animations and all.

GrayFoxPL

chandoog said:
no hunk, and the different characters are all noticeably different. Different animations and all.

Nice, thnx. No Hunk is a shame but maybe dlc to the rescue.

Damn, I'm just browsing best prices for the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
chandoog said:
Even the alt costume versions of the characters?

adamsapple

zoukka said:
Is Wesker in Mercs? I loved him in RE4. (you know what I mean)

yes..

in-fact ..

there's two versions of wesker in the mercs, with different outfits

adamsapple

Rez said:
Even the alt costume versions of the characters?

the starting load-out is completely different for every single one. The individual-character meelee attack animations are probably the same, i haven't played around much in it i'm sure someone else can confirm this.

wesker has the ability to super dash if you hold the taunt buttons for long

zoukka

chandoog said:
yes..

in-fact ..

there's two versions of wesker in the mercs, with different outfits

Oh fuck yes :D

The individual-character meelee attack animations are probably the same, i haven't played around much in it i'm sure someone else can confirm this.

Oh fuck no D:

Top Bottom