• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
chandoog said:
the starting load-out is completely different for every single one. The individual-character meelee attack animations are probably the same, i haven't played around much in it i'm sure someone else can confirm this.

wesker has the ability to super dash if you hold the taunt buttons for long
Excellent. :D

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so the soundtrack disc that comes with some versions of the game, does it have the entire OST on it or only a selection of tracks ?

chandoog said:
the starting load-out is completely different for every single one. The individual-character meelee attack animations are probably the same, i haven't played around much in it i'm sure someone else can confirm this.
That's like the extra mode in code V, nice!

Nemesis_

rockman zx said:
I only played the first merc stages (no coop), but I know that 60.000 points grants you a S ranks. Is S the max rank or is SS?.
I beat that score already. or is that the score for single mode?

EDIT: So, I have two xboxes, two TVs, two game discs and a ethernet cable that came with my 360. How do I go about doing system link?

(Also, is there anyway to use a VGA cable to connect my 360 to my laptop or computer monitor - is it as simple as plug and play? =P) I'm thinking the visual should be no problem but I've no idea how I'd get audio running =/

zoukka

chandoog said:
so the soundtrack disc that comes with some versions of the game, does it have the entire OST on it or only a selection of tracks ?

Only a few selected tracks. Which brings me to this. Why do people waste money on the "CE" editions :lol

Question about the save system...

Say I beat it first on Normal. And then want to play on hard with a friend with me as Chris and him as Sheva (it's his first time playing, too - so ignore the
Sheva-centered campaign option
). Is there anyway I can play hard as Chris without infinite ammo and without having to delete my save file? Wouldn't deleting my file kill Mercenaries mode and force me to have to unlock it again?

Haven't gotten the game yet (stuck waiting till Friday like most). But from what people are saying, this is what the save system sounds like. :(

adamsapple

HorribleJames said:
hope I can unlock a skimpier sheva outfit.

there's two, i'd call either one skimpy since they're both ... small (is that right word ? :p)

1st one
which is a gold colored mini skirt dress complete with fake-looking hair piece
is unlocked by beating the game once. 2nd one
a tribal african dress
is unlocked by obtaining all 30 BSAA emblems hidden in the game.

TenshiOni said:
Question about the save system.

you can turn infinite ammo options on or off at your own will from the "Special settings" tab in the main menu. (the sub-option of infinite ammo is ??????'ed out by default until you beat the game once and unlock infinite ammo on atleast one gun. The game won't force infinite ammo guns on you once you unlock them. Its your call whether you wanna use them or not.

burgerdog

Just completed chapter 3, difficulty ramped up big time >.> The game is going to be so much easier when doing coop, can't wait to try it out when others get it this friday.

Dyno

Success! I've been playing the demo, once per day, practicing the controls. Last night for the first time I successfully completed both levels, including killing the boss. Chainsaw dude always vexxed me, first by killing me everytime, and then once I got better he would kill Sheva. Last night I dinged him with every barrel, grenade, electric generator and uppercut I could use!

NOW the training is complete! I am truly ready for this game.

chandoog said:
you can turn infinite ammo options on or off at your own will from the "Special settings" tab in the main menu. (the sub-option of infinite ammo is ??????'ed out by default until you beat the game once and unlock infinite ammo on atleast one gun. The game won't force infinite ammo guns on you once you unlock them. Its your call whether you wanna use them or not.
Oh, ok. I guess I just read a post with someone jumping the gun on that. :lol

Thanks.

But uh...is it true you can only have one save file at a time? You can't start a hard one without saving over your normal run?

adamsapple

TenshiOni said:
Oh, ok. I guess I just read a post with someone jumping the gun on that. :lol

Thanks.

But uh...is it true you can only have one save file at a time? You can't start a hard one without saving over your normal run?

nope, the game has a single profile. The game has a level select option so you can select chapters or levels individually at different difficulties as you please.

chandoog said:
nope, the game has a single profile. The game has a level select option so you can select chapters or levels individually at different difficulties as you please.
Level select available as soon as you beat more than one chapter/part? or do you have to beat the game first?

The reason why I'm asking all this is because I see myself getting the game day 1 but I don't think my co-op buddy will be getting it until a few days after that. I don't really want to wait so I planned to play normal by myself until he gets the game and then start a co-op hard run with him.

Would I lose my normal run progress if I do so and I haven't beat the game yet? or can I just use chapter select at any time to return to my normal run?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You can choose to Continue or Load Chapter. So, you could play some, then go back and play previous chapters again with a buddy without losing any of your equipment.

Yeah, it seems like they adopted the Devil May Cry profile system for RE5, which may not necessarily be a bad thing, if War Hero mode is difficult enough to compensate like Dante Must Die mode does. I have a feeling it won't. (Obviously infinite weapons shouldn't ever be used unless you just want to blow through the game or mess around).

Nemesis_

Nemesis556 said:
EDIT: So, I have two xboxes, two TVs, two game discs and a ethernet cable that came with my 360. How do I go about doing system link?

(Also, is there anyway to use a VGA cable to connect my 360 to my laptop or computer monitor - is it as simple as plug and play? =P) I'm thinking the visual should be no problem but I've no idea how I'd get audio running =/
Quoted for emphasis =P

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Quoted for emphasis =P
For audio, you will need to have an RCA to 3.5mm adapter. If you want to plug headphones in, you will also need a 3.5mm coupler.

As for system link, I'm thinking RE5 does not actually support this and requires you to use XBOX Live. This isn't 100% certain, but that's how many games function. Simply plug both systems into a router that is connected to your internet and you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, this also means that you will need XBOX Live Gold on both systems. I tend to avoid this problem by having friends bring their own HDD along, but it can be a problem. I really hope they include system link, though. Can anyone confirm or deny its existence?

dark10x

GuardianE said:
I'm pretty certain Capcom or a review confirmed the functionality of the system link in Resident Evil 5.
If that is the case, I am extremely happy to hear it. Using Live would not be an issue for the most part, but if I wanted to enjoy the game with a non-360 owner or someone with Live Gold, it would have been a problem.

Nemesis_

Thanks. I am fairly certain on how to do it now.

XBOX Live Gold would've been a non-issue, I have lots of trial month codes sitting around =P

GuardianE said:
You can choose to Continue or Load Chapter. So, you could play some, then go back and play previous chapters again with a buddy without losing any of your equipment.
So if I got to Chapter 5 in Normal...and hosted a co-op hard game for a friend by using chapter select...I'd bring my fully upgraded weaponry from the normal run to hard mode's beginning?

If true, that kinda sucks. :[

Ekgar

Banned
dark10x said:
For audio, you will need to have an RCA to 3.5mm adapter. If you want to plug headphones in, you will also need a 3.5mm coupler.
What he said.
The official VGA cable comes w/ an RCA to 3.5mm adapter but the end is male. To connect headphones or computer speakers, you will need a female to female coupler like he said (Radioshack FTW). Mine looks like a gold-colored cylinder with two holes, one at each end. I connect my speakers' green cable to it and voila - sound.

adamsapple

TenshiOni said:
So if I got to Chapter 5 in Normal...and hosted a co-op hard game for a friend by using chapter select...I'd bring my fully upgraded weaponry from the normal run to hard mode's beginning?

the game's save system is very exploitable ... its just the way capcom made it

chandoog said:
there's two, i'd call either one skimpy since they're both ... small (is that right word ? :p)

1st one
which is a gold colored mini skirt dress complete with fake-looking hair piece
is unlocked by beating the game once. 2nd one
a tribal african dress
is unlocked by obtaining all 30 BSAA emblems hidden in the game.

.....any boob jiggle with the third outfit?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
TenshiOni said:

Yeah, it does kind of suck. You can always choose what to bring with you (ie bring a crappier gun). You're still limited by the inventory space.

Something people have been neglecting to mention, who have the game, is that you can't have uber powerful weapons at any point just by grinding (at least until after you beat the game, anyway). Just like in Resident Evil 4, there are limits to how much you can upgrade particular weapons until you progress further into the story. This prevents grinding abuse to an extent. It's still exploitable, but it lessens how overpowered you'll be on your first playthrough if you choose that route. This, coupled with the fact that you have limited inventory space, means that you won't have an entire arsenal with you at any given time. Until the Infinite Ammo becomes available, it's not that unbalanced.

Concerning the end of the on rails level when fighting the
El Gigante
me and my buddy had a blast and on veteran I think we died about 6 times till we really got the pattern down. It was a intense battle and thought it was alot of fun. Not sure why people were so bored with it. Then again, playing on veteran the first time through in co-op has made for quite a few heated moments.

Just stopped at chapter 3-2 and wow.... 3-1, Shit gets crazy. All I will say is that running up ladders will not help much!
When 3 of those tribal guys jumped straight up onto the balcony we "thought" we were safe on, we both said "holy shit" .

The game is just getting better and better as we progress.

Nemesis_

MiamiWesker said:
BTW if we end up playing Mercs co-op I am Wesker, if you choose Wesker I quit. :p
Looks like I will not be playing with you then!

As for Mercs Mode, it's amazing how much brutality is involved. I checked my gameplay records last night, and tonight, after about an hour of Mercs games, I'd defeated over 800 Majini. Insane.

Quick question I just thought about.

I'm guessing it got cut, but was anyone else dissapointed not to see the scene where
Chris is on top of the bus and the majini are throwing hooked ropes up to it and trying to pull it down
Unless I either a. missed it or b. its not what I thought it was in the trailer years ago.

adamsapple

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Quick question I just thought about.

I'm guessing it got cut, but was anyone else dissapointed not to see the scene where
Chris is on top of the bus and the majini are throwing hooked ropes up to it and trying to pull it down
Unless I either a. missed it or b. its not what I thought it was in the trailer years ago.

there's a lot of things they showed that weren't in the game .. basically anything you saw in the first ever trailers (like the zombie tackling and arm locking chris) isn't there at all .. also they cut out one story scene
with the "tube lady" opening her eyes while still in the statis tube that Chris and Sheva find empty in the game
that was completely absent from the game ..

chandoog said:
there's a lot of things they showed that weren't in the game .. basically anything you saw in the first ever trailers (like the zombie tackling and arm locking chris) isn't there at all .. also they cut out one story scene
with the "tube lady" opening her eyes while still in the statis tube that Chris and Sheva find empty in the game

Bummer... but I know this stuff happens all the time. I'm guessing the scene from the bus was before they ever even though about making the game co-op.

Zenith

Banned
chandoog said:

You do see that scene play out on a PDA after taking a USB stick from Josh

BTW if we end up playing Mercs co-op I am Wesker, if you choose Wesker I quit. :p

*sigh* 3 more days for the rest of us.

You can both be Wesker.

Also I appreciated how if you died in the first area of the game you saw a cutscene of
the villagers just going to town on you from a first person perspetive :D

So I was looking at gamefaqs and couldn't find the answer to:

are there pics of the different outfits out there? also, pics or at least a list of who you get to play as in mercenaires

Was just playing RE5 in Pro mode with a friend online coop. It was pretty awesome.

In Pro mode basically any 1 hit will put you in critical mode kill you. Even if you are wearing armor etc. And the timer for being rescued is only 2 seconds or so. So unless your buddy is very very close you will die.

We were playing with infinite ammo and it was still very very hard. We both had already beaten the game on veteran solo. Pro mode with infinite ammo is still much much harder.

Get RE5 for only $19.99 when you trade in two select titles!

8_5x11-TradeFlyer-ResidentEvil5-Front.jpg

8_5x11-TradeFlyer-ResidentEvil5-Back-223.jpg

Final promotional price is net after trades. Resident Evil 5 releases 3/13/09. Release date subject to change. Net retail will differ for special editions. Customer may be responsible for sales tax on full retail price in some states. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks. Offer expires 04/05/09.

Source: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/re5offer/?affid=3000&WT.mc_id=031009nl

Not a bad deal! I will be trading in COD4 and GT5P:D

adamsapple

Zenith said:
You do see that scene play out on a PDA after taking a USB stick from Josh

really? at a glance it looked like it was just a static image. i should have a look at it again, god bless theater mode

marwan

Banned
panning left and right in RE5 is making me sick dizzy! why is the camera so fucking close to the character....i hope they release a patch to move the camera further back a little!

marwan said:
panning left and right in RE5 is making me sick dizzy! why is the camera so fucking close to the character....i hope they release a patch to move the camera further back a little!

Ouch. Never had that problem. Though perhaps should try playing as Sheva since she is small, there is more of a view with her.

dark10x

Heh, I was hoping Gamestop would have included GTAIV for the 360 on that list as the game can be purchased at Blockbuster for $7.50. I would have been all over that. :p

It's basically the same camera angle as RE4, though. I highly doubt they would patch it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The camera isn't exactly like RE4. I was just playing RE4 yesterday, and the camera is set back... shifting and zooming in depending on the environment/view/room. It was constantly changing based on where Leon was in relation to the rest of the set pieces. There were times when all of Leon was visible on screen at once.

RE5's camera is more like Gears' camera, and partly because the strafing controls wouldn't allow for the more varied auto camera shifting from RE4.

I don't mind it, though.

adamsapple

GuardianE said:
The camera isn't exactly like RE4. I was just playing RE4 yesterday, and the camera is set back... shifting and zooming in depending on the environment/view/room. It was constantly changing based on where Leon was in relation to the rest of the set pieces. There were times when all of Leon was visible on screen at once.

RE5's camera is more like Gears' camera, and partly because the strafing controls wouldn't allow for the more varied auto camera shifting from RE4.

I don't mind it, though.

switch to control type A and it becomes exactly the same as RE4 (the right stick usage i mean).

Sectus

Well, I'm halfway through professional mode now, and I'm unfortunately a bit disappointed.

The good thing is that Pro difficulty is obviously designed for the player to have upgraded weapons (but not infinite weapons), and the secret weapons seems to be well balanced for it. The bad side is that it's difficult in a way which can be extremely frustrating. The differences I've noticed so far are these:
-Enemies are faster to get back up after being knocked down (doing the ground melee attack becomes almost impossible)
-Many items are removed (for instance, in one the shanty town buildings you'd normally find 1 red herb, some handgun ammo and 2 grenades, those are all gone)
-And the one huge difference: almost all enemies will kill you in one hit. And the dying state timer is insanely short. So short that you literally have to be standing right next to your partner if you want to be saved.

It can be fun at times and it's definitely a huge challenge. But it's also very frustrating at places, especially when you fight enemies who use molotov cocktails or crossbows. Some of the bossfights becomes very frustrating as well since missing one single QTE means game over. I don't think this is a mode you'd want to play with strangers because you'd easily become a huge liability unless the both of you work closely together and have a lot of patience.

I'm having fun with the mode (besides a few super frustrating boss fights, like the one in 3-3... if anyone has any tips on how to easily avoid those QTEs, let me know), but it's not a mode I'd be tempted to play again. And it just reminds me that Capcom really messed up the balance in the game. They never should have implemented persistent inventory across all modes. They should have reserved that for new game +. I think that's one of the reasons why they made Pro such a weird difficulty. They knew players might play the Pro difficulty armed to the teeth, so they made it difficult by giving enemies basically the same advantage that you have.

One thing which is a big disappointment is that I can't play the game the same way I played the demo. I enjoyed playing the demo with random people and see how their playstyle would be. That's impossible to do in the full game. If I host a game or I join someone else's game, there's no chance we have balanced weaponry. One of us will make things way too easy or way too frustrating. And jumping into random coop games with Pro difficulty won't work well (most people are just chickening out and playing that mode with infinite ammo anyway).

I checked out the settings for splitscreen and I noticed they have actually implemented 2 versions of it. If the second controller is logged into a gamertag, it works the same way as online coop. If the second controller is not logged in, he becomes a "guest" and everything is based on the host's savegame (which means both players can freely trade weapons, gold won't be doubled, and the second player will control Sheva with the weapons the host gave her). If they had added the guest option for online play too, that would have been a good solution. That and removing the stupid persistent inventory of course.

If I ever replay the game again I'll definitely do it starting with an empty inventory. And if I play it coop I'll make sure my partner does the same thing. At least Capcom didn't make any mistakes with mercenaries mode. That mode is still balanced and a ton of fun to replay.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
chandoog said:
switch to control type A and it becomes exactly the same as RE4 (the right stick usage i mean).

It has nothing to do with the controls. I said that in order to accomodate the new control scheme Capcom had to make the camera more Gears like (closer to Chris). Changing the control scheme does nothing to the camera except give you control over it, which is not what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the info on that Sectus, sounds crazy hard. But I believe it has to be, the pro mode should be the ultimate test of two people working togther. But if it significantly alters the way the game is played then it did probably go too far. Anyway I am excited to try it out.

Top Bottom