• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Volcynika

This week has been long, but RE5 is close! (at least for me)

Luckily MadWorld can help bide the time, so this weekend will be good times all around.

Sectus

Saint10118 said:
Just beat this game last night (got the game on Saturday :p) and overall this game is really a mixed bag on single player. I would be curious to know if people who've played the game through already found that it took a turn for the worse game play wise in chapters 5 and 6. I really loved the first four chapters but those last two.... not even near as fun to play especially the entirety of 6-3.

Specifically,
the gatlin-gun duo and Wesker fights were extremely limited in how you defeat them. I died a dozen times in the final Wesker fight jumping down off the cliff trying to pelt him in the head and back only to have Sheva commit suicide or running out of ammo in the process. Then when I tried fighting him where you start out... 60 seconds and he was down with one magnum hit to the back...WTF I should have been able to do it either way.

That said, I can absolutely see this game being a blast on co-op and would highly recommend playing the game that way if anyone has the opportunity to do so.
I definitely agree the first 4 chapters are the best ones in the game (well, except for the short sub chapter with the jeep), but I still enjoyed the last 2 chapters.

There's a bit more freedom than you think in the fights you're talking about.

Against the gatling gun duo, you can simply take a stand where you start (only works if you're armed to the teeth. Setting up a minefield helps too), or try to work your way around them and get to the stationary turrets, which will make things much easier.

The first fight against Wesker has many options. You can shoot him until he's stunned, and then inject him with the virus. You can move around and disable all the lights to make it easier to stun him. Or use the rocket launcher lying around to stun him.

Second and last fight has less freedom but there's still a few different things you can do. You can rush to the QTEs right away so you're done with them. Or battle Wesker at the start and stun him 2 times in order to get plenty of time to finish the QTEs stuff. Once you've got the QTE stuff out the way it's basically just unleashing all your firepower on him (there's also a secret melee attack here which is an instant kill against him).

Although, I've only played the game in coop, so some of the tactics I've mentioned may be hard or impossible to do with the AI.

cvxfreak said:
WTF @ the character model in this SPOILER-FILLED, NSFW URL: http://i42.tinypic.com/opsrqo.jpg

That character model appears in that game as is. YIKES!
Well, darn. I just checked and it's the same thing with my copy. I'm pretty sure it's only visible in the figure viewer though. But still, how long before this becomes a big controversy and RE5 has to be called back?

Nemesis556 said:
I was playing Mercenaries the other day, and I was battling one of those secondary plagas that still look human but just have a mutated top. Basically, it "bit" my whole torso off, and my player characters lower body just fell to the ground and twitched.

I was surprised, since I thought it was totally censored. =/
Really? What version are you playing? I'm really surprised if that happens in the japanese version. I've never seen any gory deaths for the playable characters.

if some guy who lives in europe wants to add me up for some co-op tonight i'll be in at 8.30 pm (7.30 for UKers).

my psn id: tommasoted (i have a mic too :p )

i played it online only on monday and there were only japanese and asian online, i'd like an english speaking person to talk to :(

If all the Resident Evil games were as horror-driven as the original and the remake, I'd be more disappointed in RE5's focus on action. But since RE3: Nemesis and RE4 I haven't seen Resident Evil as a purely horror franchise, but more of action-horror and that's what RE5 is.

°°ToMmY°° said:
if some guy who lives in europe wants to add me up for some co-op tonight i'll be in at 8.30 pm (7.30 for UKers).

my psn id: tommasoted (i have a mic too :p )

i played it online only on monday and there were only japanese and asian online, i'd like an english speaking person to talk to :(

Well you realize, like myself, I'm playing the asian version, thus it will show as such. So might not have been all non speaking english people. :)

brandonh83 said:
If all the Resident Evil games were as horror-driven as the original and the remake, I'd be more disappointed in RE5's focus on action. But since RE3: Nemesis and RE4 I haven't seen Resident Evil as a purely horror franchise, but more of action-horror and that's what RE5 is.

I definetly agree on this statement. Even Code Veronica imo wasn't very scary and went more action-ish with its cutscenes and whatnot. It still had the classic gameplay but still didn't find it scary. The original, REmake, and 2 scared me the most. In RE3 it was all about Nemesis just suddenly appearing and it made me tense as fuck. Though the same thing can be said when a mass ammount of ganados or majini attack in RE4/RE5.

{Mike}

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Man!

All this hate!!!

It is now virtually assured to be my goty.

I'm not hating RE5, i'm hating the tendency developers have to create underwhelming single player experiences, assuming everyone likes to play online.

Synless

Tomorrow night at midnight!!!!!!! The wait is finally almost over, I wish I had stores near me that broke street dates. Stupid fucking Michigan!!!!!!

Synless said:
Tomorrow night at midnight!!!!!!! The wait is finally almost over, I wish I had stores near me that broke street dates. Stupid fucking Michigan!!!!!!

Do I have you on PSN? I have so many people I can't remember. The more RE lovers on my PSN list the better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
{Mike} said:
I'm not hating RE5, i'm hating the tendency developers have to create underwhelming single player experiences, assuming everyone likes to play online.

the single player is far from shoddy, ignore the haters.

Davey Cakes

{Mike} said:
Yep. And this doesn't have to involve RE5. In fact, RE5 still probably delivers a fine single player experience, but would it have been as good without Capcom shifting their focus to more co-op centric gameplay?

Online is good, but its importance is overstated. I just think devs feel that they need a reason to push the $60 price tag, and therefore put something in the game that extends the replay value. Online play does this for them, though if there's too much focus on the online mode, then single player suffers.

It's more of an observation than a matter of "hate."

Rash said:
Yep.

Online is good, but its importance is overstated. I just think devs feel that they need a reason to push the $60 price tag, and therefore put something in the game that extends the replay value. Online play does this for them, though if there's too much focus on the online mode, then single player suffers.

It's more of an observation than a matter of "hate."

While the game was obviosuly shifted to co-op play sometime during development. I still don't feel that the single player aspect is degraded because of it. Least in this case. Then add on the other online modes and I think its a pretty sweet deal.

I was tempted to get MadWorld instead of this, but I love Resident Evil too much (even though people say the only thing RE5 has in common with earlier games is the name).

Oh well, will get Friday, or tomorrow at midnight.

If you're looking for a buddy to play with, add me on PSN:
kilgoreisdead

Dante

Holy crap at those sales :O

My brother was able to pick this up yesterday saw he was playing on PSN, I might check a few spots downtown here to see if I can get it.

woxel1

Playing PS3 co-op with a buddy on veteran, halfway through now.

Bad Things:
* Not frightening at all
* Weaksauce bosses
* Inconvenient system for upgrading your partner's weaponry (you have to drop it in the communal box first?!)
* Silly, but not self-aware (except for Irving
I JUST HAD AN EXTREME MAKEOVER
)
* Abundance of turrets, and turret related sequences
* No interesting weapons... yet
* Derivative challenges in regards to RE4, very few actual surprises (see point 1)

Good things:
* It looks nice
* Bonus features seem plentiful

Ugly Thing:
*Did the developers actually visit the continent or did they listen to Alvin and the Chipmunk's "Witch Doctor" instead?

woxel1 said:

Bad Things:
* Not frightening at all
* Weaksauce bosses
* Inconvenient system for upgrading your partner's weaponry (you have to drop it in the communal box first?!)
* Silly, but not self-aware (except for Irving
I JUST HAD AN EXTREME MAKEOVER
)
* Abundance of turrets, and turret related sequences
* No interesting weapons... yet
* Derivative challenges in regards to RE4, very few actual surprises (see point 1)

I'd really have to disagree\question you on a few things.

-The bosses have been alot of fun and I like the strategy involved in taking them down.
-The inconvennient system for upgrading is a quirk but really wouldn't consider it bad.
-The game has very minor sillyness to it, not sure what all your refering too. Could you clarify?
-Whats wrong with the turrets? I think there alot of fun and don't see how they are a bad thing.

edit Granted this is all personal opinion but doesn't neccesarily consist of making RE5 a "bad" game.

Sectus

woxel1 said:

Bad Things:
Sounds the second player is playing as a "guest". If the second player is logged into a profile, the game should use a unique savegame for him and he'll manage his own inventory completely. All gold drops will also count for both players.

That's how it works for the 360 version anyway. It may be different on the PS3.

Sectus said:
Sounds the second player is playing as a "guest". If the second player is logged into a profile, the game should use a unique savegame for him and he'll manage his own inventory completely. All gold drops will also count for both players.

That's how it works for the 360 version anyway. It may be different on the PS3.

Ahhh even I didn't know this. Thanks for clarify.

tass0

Banned
Anyone add me on PSN if they want to do a hardcore session of co-op, I'm talking playing the game from start to finish.

PSN: drk607

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Also considering that even the oldschool resident evil games had some crazy decaps and deaths, it's even more bullshit. Seriously. In CV you could get your head crushed in by a bandersnatch(sp...) and decap peaced out by hunters. smh...

grandyu

so ALL versions are censored the same way? where did you get this info duck amuck

this is real disappointing
wanted to see some HD mutilations

zoukka

The Finnish Pelit scored it 89 or 88 can't remember which. One of the cons was the games setting which surprisingly was described as overly stereotypical and ever racist? They don't usually comment thing like this...

I've played past chapter 3-3 so far. I've done some co op with a friend as well as gone through it single player. Also keep in mind I never played RE4, but was a huge fan of Resident Evil 2. My thoughts-

It doesn't feel like the RE I remember at all. It feels like an action game, something like Uncharted meets Resident evil. Its a solid action game for sure, with some great moments. But, I don't feel its a great game. A good one.

As far as horror goes, this is not a horror game. Its a creepy action title. Its just my opinion though, I absolutely loved Silent Hill: Homecoming, and found that a terrifying game. Others did not. I don't feel frightened by this one, although RE never really scared me to begin with. But, from playing it its like they threw out the survival horror mode and just went for an action game that retained the storyline and controls of a RE game. I'm not sure if this was the case with 4. To me, it feels a bit weird.

There have some really cool moments in the game. The sound is great. The graphics are wonderful. Cut scenes are terrific. Zombies and the character models look AWESOME.

Bosses are more visually impressive than a fun gameplay experience. They are pretty easy and I don't feel like I'm really in a fight for my life.

Its to early to fully rate the game. There is a ton of unlockables and the well spoke of mercenary mode. But, if you pulled my arm I'd say its worth a high seven, low eight.

zoukka

Fletcher said:
My favorite death was in RE4 when those guys would stab Leon in the face.

What about the Wolverine stabbing him in the face and dangling him in the air :lol

Also these negative comments make me feel blue. Oh well even if it doesn't live up to the greatest action game ever it still shits on most of this gens titles :)

REMEMBER TO PLAY IT ON VET GUYS. Nothing more irritating than a great game breezed through without any effort.

Neiteio

Sectus said:
Well, darn. I just checked and it's the same thing with my copy. I'm pretty sure it's only visible in the figure viewer though. But still, how long before this becomes a big controversy and RE5 has to be called back?
Wait, couldn't they just release a patch to cover up
Jill's
naughty bits with a texture? That'd be far more practical than a recall. Either way, Capcom will have to do something, since everyone knows that fine piece of rear will be checked by everyone at least once. That's why they made the figure viewer.

You know it's true.

Also, I'm so happy to see there's a figure viewer. Whether it's trophies in Smash Bros. or figurines in Wind Waker, they're always about the best in-game collectible you could ask for, imo. Could somebody please tell me how many figures there are, how you get them, and where I can perhaps find a list of all the figures?

Davey Cakes

When people say the game is censored, what exactly to they mean? Are we not going to see ANY deaths like like the ones in RE4?

It's not even a big deal to me. I just don't understand why they would shy away from the satisfying gore that was presented in the previous game. Seemed like it would become a staple for the series.

careksims

Tomorrow's the fuckin' day! Midnight release and all! Whoooooooooooooooo! Can't wait! Kinda' bummed that they censored ALL versions!?

My pre-ordered RE5 Xbox 360 elite edition arrived today at gamestop! Can't wait till friday to check it out. A bunch of people from my work are coming to see it, lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be playing in a matter of hours. :D

No limited edition, unfortunately, so I have to deal with hideous standard edition case. Oh woe is me. :lol

Top Bottom