• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Un4

Wow, never thought that i'll get a game sooner than most of GAF. I have it sitting right here next to me and i'm from the Netherlands.

Probably won't touch it today or tomorrow though.

I really hope i can get into the game after finishing Dead Space earlier this week.

Davey Cakes

Yeah. The Hedge Maze was especially great. Very tense, and very RE. The fact that you can hear the dogs around the corner, but don't know exactly where they are, makes it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame there was a map that showed you exactly where to go. :lol

I can't believe Verdugo wasn't on that list. Bad form.

Sectus

Neiteio said:
Wait, couldn't they just release a patch to cover up
Jill's
naughty bits with a texture? That'd be far more practical than a recall. Either way, Capcom will have to do something, since everyone knows that fine piece of rear will be checked by everyone at least once. That's why they made the figure viewer.
Well, look at games like Oblivion and GTA:SA which had similar issues, a patch wouldn't have been a proper solution to that. As long as it's on the retail disc (and even if it's not accessible without modding) that seems to enough reason for the game to be re-rated or be called back.

On the other side, it might be so minor that no one actually cares. Both in Oblivion and GTA:SA the objectional content was very very apparent (well, once it was unlocked via modding anyway). In the case of RE5, you have to looking at a certain angle, probably increase the brightness of your display and then you may think "Hey, that kinda looks like her vagina!". I think Capcom may have a valid excuse even if it's not true by saying "It's just a random texture glitch."

When thinking about, there's something kinda related in SF4 too. Look at Sakura's portrait and look at her elbow. It looks suspiciously like a vagina. I think there's some sneaky artist at Capcom Japan who's having some fun (and will probably lose his job soon).

Neiteio said:
Also, I'm so happy to see there's a figure viewer. Whether it's trophies in Smash Bros. or figurines in Wind Waker, they're always about the best in-game collectible you could ask for, imo. Could somebody please tell me how many figures there are, how you get them, and where I can perhaps find a list of all the figures?
There's a ton. 46 figures in total if I remember correctly. 2 for each playable character, and all the other are of NPCs, enemies and bosses. It's absolutely amazing to see all the detail they added to the characters.

Here's how one of the figures look like:
Comp10-00-00-00-1.jpg

grandyu

hmm yea the demos were censored.. but i thought the final releases might be different.
i'm playing my asian version and no decap :(
bullshit

the possibilities are limitless.. and HD!

careksims

Awesome on the 3-d figure viewer. Love it when they do that! Games like in Valkyria Chronicles for example.

Friend and I are gonna' cringe/laugh at watching Degeneration before we go. We'll pick up our games and have our two hdtv's set up in the same room hahaha! It's going to be a fun ride.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Duck Amuck said:
If RE5 has any places just BARELY as atmospheric as these I'll be happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPW0HUpM1I

IT wasnt quite so scary, but the return trip back through the village at night was very, very heavy on atmosphere. You could barely see anything save for what was in front of your flashlight and seeing the lightning light up the villagers far away for a brief second only for them to disappear...... great shit. Resident Evil 4 is so fucking classic.

Sectus said:
I definitely agree the first 4 chapters are the best ones in the game (well, except for the short sub chapter with the jeep), but I still enjoyed the last 2 chapters.

There's a bit more freedom than you think in the fights you're talking about.

Against the gatling gun duo, you can simply take a stand where you start (only works if you're armed to the teeth. Setting up a minefield helps too), or try to work your way around them and get to the stationary turrets, which will make things much easier.

The first fight against Wesker has many options. You can shoot him until he's stunned, and then inject him with the virus. You can move around and disable all the lights to make it easier to stun him. Or use the rocket launcher lying around to stun him.

Second and last fight has less freedom but there's still a few different things you can do. You can rush to the QTEs right away so you're done with them. Or battle Wesker at the start and stun him 2 times in order to get plenty of time to finish the QTEs stuff. Once you've got the QTE stuff out the way it's basically just unleashing all your firepower on him (there's also a secret melee attack here which is an instant kill against him).

Although, I've only played the game in coop, so some of the tactics I've mentioned may be hard or impossible to do with the AI.

Thanks for the reply I really was just refering to
gatlin gun bros (impossible I say with computer AI to do any other way but on the turret and the last Wesker fight which I guess I didn't think about battling him immediately but you're absolutely right that could be an option then. I was only referring to the part after the QTEs which in the end I shot him one time with the magnum and held him while Sheva stabbed the shit out of him. Maybe that's the secret melee attack I'll have to investigate on that.

Neiteio

Man, those figures look great. So how do you unlock them?

And about RE4... It's hard to pick a favorite death (lol), but one that always got a strong reaction from me was the Garrador stabbing you THROUGH THE FACE with one claw, lifting up your squirming body, then stabbing your stomach with the other claw as you hang there, still alive. Ouch! The face-melting and El Gigante in the firepit are classics as well.

Oh, and not to sound sick-minded or anything, but I was always fascinated by the mutilated corpses littered everywhere in RE4. I must've spent a good 15 minutes using the sniper scope to oogle the dead monks at the bottom of the impalement pit leading to Verdugo. (Fun tidbit: the attention to detail in RE4 was so insane that one dead monk is lying in the water with his hand on the ladder and blood flowing from him, as though he was wounded by the fall and died by the time he crawled to the ladder.) My favorite corpse is in Chapter 1; it's a lady with a pitchfork through her face, pegging her to the inside wall of the shed, the bloodstain seeping through the wood so that it's visible on the outside. It's in one of the little sheds along a path through the woods -- be sure to check it out.

Yeah.

Neiteio

Mesijs said:
You ARE sick-minded!
I swear, in real-life I'm the biggest pacifist you'll ever meet. I'm against war, the death penalty, etc. I'm a huge animal lover, and I go to great lengths to free insects trapped in the house. I wouldn't hurt anyone. But jeez, I just LOVED the corpses in RE4. I'm hoping RE5 is stuffed to the gills with 'em!

chandoog said:
its there from the start.

professional is locked.

When I first loaded up the game it appeared that I could only pick veteran but then when starting from any chapter it looked like I could pick professional. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Feindflug

MiamiWesker said:
The five correct choices.

Man I miss when RE4 looked like that, RE4 on an LCD HD set looks like complete ass.

Yeah I know...that's why we need RE4: HD Edition. :p

Oh god how much I love this game. :D

GQman2121

Banned
I was able to get through the first 2 1/2 chapters last night, and I think I'm done for the time being. The game is fun and is just what you would expect if you've played RE4. But everyone I've been paired (PS3) with is in Japan and doesn't have a mic.

Plus, the AI Sheva shoots all of her rounds almost as fast as I can hand them to her. I ended up just taking all of her ammo and having her stay close to me. She does a good job of using her knife and melee attacking when the opportunity presents its self. But its way to tedious and just doesn't feel like the way the game was meant to be played.

The game looks godly though. Especially the first part of chapter 3.

Can anyone tell me about how long all of chapter 5 and 6 are? Are they about the same lengths as 2 and 3? I've got 7 hours logged on veteran co-op and just got to 5-1.

Hm, Marcus Nispel (Friday the 13th 2009) directed that last viral video. He also directed that fantastic teaser trailer for Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Why don't they just get him to direct the movies? I mean I liked Extinction okay enough but Nispel would make an awesome RE film.

Vek

Gonna be picking up my copy in a few hours, and can barely wait any longer!

cvx/yama - Would one of you kindly add me to the PSN listing? PSNID: TGMouse, (PAL-Australia). Thanks :D

RPGCrazied

so is there any screen tearing in the 360 version?

some previews/reviews say there is, but I played the demo.. both levels was smooth as silk.

Sectus

Neiteio said:
Man, those figures look great. So how do you unlock them?
Most of them are unlocked by simply beating the game, or getting a bunch of emblems. The few last figures are unlocked by getting all emblems and beating all chapters with S ranks (which is a LOT easier than it sounds, thanks to amateur difficulty and having access to infinite weapons).

TEH-CJ

Banned
Up to the 3rd level and so far and this game is average is it gets. Horrible compressed sound, recycled resi4 assets,crappy physics, horrid tank controls and chris needs to lay of the roids because that mother fucker has deformed biceps. does it get any better?

RPGCrazied said:
oh, some say it mainly happens in 1080p

im using a 27" nonhdtv.. lol

I was kidding, just making a quip. I don't have a 1080p set but I didn't experience much tearing in the PS3/360 demos (played both a lot).

Sectus

TEH-CJ said:
Up to the 3rd level and so far and this game is average is it gets. Horrible compressed sound, recycled resi4 assets,crappy physics, horrid tank controls and chris needs to lay of the roids because that mother fucker has deformed biceps. does it get any better?
3rd level? Does that mean you're playing on chapter 2-1? You've already played some scenes which I personally think are amazing, so if you've only been disappointed so far I doubt you'll get impressed later on. Perhaps you'll enjoy mercenaries mode more, I dunno.

Neiteio

Sectus, I'm obsessed with the figurines. I suppose it'd be too much to ask you to list off all 46 of them?

For starters, is Irving's "extreme makeover" represented as a figure? And if so, does the figure show the whole bulk of the beast? Oh, and is that bat-scorpion repped as a figure? Gorgeous, gorgeous monster.

On a side note, I went to Wal-Mart today to see if they had the game. (I normally wouldn't shop there, Wal-Mart being run by baby-eating slavedrivers and all. But hey, it's RE5.) They said they're not carrying the game, that you can only get it online. I wonder why? I don't think it's because of violence or anything, considering they had Killzone 2 (which tempts me so, goddammit).

But yes, I wanna know about the figures!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fyrus said:
Is anyone able to understand the brightness adjuster? I don't get what they mean by slightly out of focus.
I also don't understand this. The demo's was always really clear for me. I just turned it down a ways to the point where things looked pretty good and the BSAA letters were slightly darkened.

consoul

RPGCrazied said:
so is there any screen tearing in the 360 version?

some previews/reviews say there is, but I played the demo.. both levels was smooth as silk.
360 version is OK at 720p, but screen tearing is frequent at 1080p.
PS3 version has v-sync locked on, so no tearing at any resolution.

Ganondorfo

@Jun takeuchi: you should be ashamed of yourself, I waited 4 years,
and I got to play most of the original resident evil 4 set pieces (only with amazing graphics).

Don't read this, because it spoils some of the boss fights

The boss fight against irving is almost the same as against salazar, he even has the same laughing voice if you shoot him, when he is exposing himself in that big water monster thing

That el gigante fight in re5 is almost the same as in resident evil 4, he even uses a tree to swing at you.

There is also a scene when a truck is trying to kill you, I also remembered this scene from resident evil 4. The same goes for that scene in resident evil 5 when you have to hold on with that black soldier josh against the maijns (it was the luis fight in the cabin all over again).

There is also a scene in re5 when everything is falling and you have to do a lot of QTE, well that scene also was in re4.

In resident evil 4 at the beginning you only fight weak ganados and later in the game you fight monks, ganados with grenades, ... It's the same in resident evil 5, you go into a room and there are always 7 majins waiting for you, just like in re4.

The whole first chapter was like the beginning of resident evil 4, only that the chainsaw guy is replaced with a big axe guy (you also fight chainsaw guys later in re5, like in re4).

Conclusion: for me 75% of resident evil 5 felt like resident evil 4.

Neiteio

Synless said:
No there's tearing at 1:20-1:22. It may be mixed footage though.
Yeah, from the sounds of it screen-tearing is only in the 360 version, which you can see in the footage at the link. As Synless said, though, it could be mixed footage. I can tell much of it is 360, though, because of the lighting; when they showed Public Assembly it had a more grayscale look, as opposed to the warm golden look that area has in the PS3 version.

Still waiting for an exhaustive list of the figures. ^_~

Synless

Neiteio said:
Yeah, from the sounds of it screen-tearing is only in the 360 version, which you can see in the footage at the link. As Synless said, though, it could be mixed footage. I can tell much of it is 360, though, because of the lighting; when they showed Public Assembly it had a more grayscale look, as opposed to the warm golden look that area has in the PS3 version.

Still waiting for an exhaustive list of the figures. ^_~
I was going to mention the lighting as well. It certainly looked like the 360's as opposed to the greenishy yellow tint of the ps3's. I dunno either way it doesn't make much of a difference. I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 has some framerate dips here and there as well.

GQman2121

Banned
Looks like game launching from HOME is a go for Friday's official launch.

That's something I'm looking forward to checking out, if only to see if the feature is practical since you can bring up your friends list and select invite from the XMB.

Edit: Looks like game launching is live RIGHT NOW if you have the game!!!

Letters2Kay said:
Are we talking 12:01 AM on Friday the 13th? I’ll be attending a midnight launch party with a friend and we plan to head back and link up online afterwards. Will we be able to connect our games through Home?

Jeff Rubenstein said:
It works right now - we just tried it :)

Top Bottom