• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

voltron

So I havent been following the thread. Whats this about normal being too easy? How easy are we talking here?

Is everyone playing on veteran first?

TEH-CJ

Banned
got to some dark cave, force to carry a lamp, no ammo. Fuck this horrible game. Glad i rented it. This is coming from someone that Loved resi4.

TEH-CJ said:
got to some dark cave, force to carry a lamp, no ammo. Fuck this horrible game. Glad i rented it. This is coming from someone that Loved resi4.

You can have sheva carry the lamp. It took me a while to figure that out too.

2real4tv

Neiteio said:
Sectus, I'm obsessed with the figurines. I suppose it'd be too much to ask you to list off all 46 of them?

For starters, is Irving's "extreme makeover" represented as a figure? And if so, does the figure show the whole bulk of the beast? Oh, and is that bat-scorpion repped as a figure? Gorgeous, gorgeous monster.

On a side note, I went to Wal-Mart today to see if they had the game. (I normally wouldn't shop there, Wal-Mart being run by baby-eating slavedrivers and all. But hey, it's RE5.) They said they're not carrying the game, that you can only get it online. I wonder why? I don't think it's because of violence or anything, considering they had Killzone 2 (which tempts me so, goddammit).

But yes, I wanna know about the figures!

They said the same thing to me about Killzone2:lol

However, I hope this is not true because I usually go at midnight on release day. No lines at least it was like that for Halo3, MGS4 and Gears2.

The final sleep before RE5!!! Good night everyone.

Totally random but not having Lost today sucked. Totally messed up my wednesday night, it went slow.

Blablurn

played it for some time now and i really like it. but i don't want to rush through the game. it's a great experience so far. still got some minor problems with the controls but it's ok for me. Really looking forward to the rest of the game!

I played both gears games throguh on hardcore my first time through, and overall found it a bit hard in a few spots, but fun and not overly hard.

should I play RE5 on veteran first time?

edit: and why the FUCK are the death animations censored? it's an M RATED GAME.

2real4tv

Biff Hardbody said:
I've played past chapter 3-3 so far. I've done some co op with a friend as well as gone through it single player. Also keep in mind I never played RE4, but was a huge fan of Resident Evil 2. My thoughts-

It doesn't feel like the RE I remember at all. It feels like an action game, something like Uncharted meets Resident evil. Its a solid action game for sure, with some great moments. But, I don't feel its a great game. A good one.

As far as horror goes, this is not a horror game. Its a creepy action title. Its just my opinion though, I absolutely loved Silent Hill: Homecoming, and found that a terrifying game. Others did not. I don't feel frightened by this one, although RE never really scared me to begin with. But, from playing it its like they threw out the survival horror mode and just went for an action game that retained the storyline and controls of a RE game. I'm not sure if this was the case with 4. To me, it feels a bit weird.

There have some really cool moments in the game. The sound is great. The graphics are wonderful. Cut scenes are terrific. Zombies and the character models look AWESOME.

Bosses are more visually impressive than a fun gameplay experience. They are pretty easy and I don't feel like I'm really in a fight for my life.

Its to early to fully rate the game. There is a ton of unlockables and the well spoke of mercenary mode. But, if you pulled my arm I'd say its worth a high seven, low eight.

Ive only played 1 and 2 myself but looking at some of those youtube vids seems like I missed alot in RE4. Hope RE5 catches me up.

I ended up playing a couple of cooperative rounds on the demo with a buddy of mine.

Pretty sweet coop game. Will be picking it up - and I will be enjoying it. From what I hear, you can unlock a single-player mode when you beat the game. Is this true? If so -- VERY cool.

jax (old)

Banned
I bought this this arvo - the PS3 edition but then I read the comments about slowdown + lack of water reflections and I'm beginning to think I should return it for the x360 edition.

?

eeehhh

TEH-CJ

Banned
Jax said:
I bought this this arvo - the PS3 edition but then I read the comments about slowdown + lack of water reflections and I'm beginning to think I should return it for the x360 edition.

?

eeehhh

Im up to the 4th level now and hardly experience any slowdown, so I dont know where that comes from. but the water reflections are indeed horrible. the 360 version has it beat there. Aside from that, everything else is identical, some would even prefer the warm colour temp of the ps3 version.

voltron

What? The death animations are censored? In all versions of the game or just Aussie?

Also any reason not to install to HDD that anyone knows about?

Was playing the demo again last night and can't believe I'm still finding new stuff in it. Turns out you can throw a grenade at a particular spot to blow the lock off the gate in Shanty Town and bypass a bunch of enemies :lol

RyuHayate

I'm crossing fingers that Capcom will ship my copy it today (I ordered from its official online store for $79.99 w/ free shipping).

God, I want this so badly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not going to type out any significant impressions, but I'm up to 3-1 (midway through, I just got all the
medallion pieces

I'm loving the game so far. I can't even imagine how much fun this is going to be on a repeat playthrough in co-op mode.

Just... awesome. So, so awesome.

Sectus

voltron said:
What? The death animations are censored? In all versions of the game or just Aussie?
All versions are the same. Which does kinda mean that no version is censored (considering there is no original which is non-censored), Capcom just didn't want gory death scenes this time around. Some of the death sequences are still very brutal though.

voltron

I agree with Rez. Didnt want to quote you and see the spoiler, but Im just so anticipating the rest of the experience.

Is it perfect? no. But its awesome. awesome beats perfect.

that made no sense I know

BeeDog

Woooo, my PS3 LE copy just arrived, but too bad I can't play it now. :lol :~( Beautiful PAL boxart though, screw the haters.

eso76

just got to chapter 5
the game started slow, but it's a constant crescendo so far, with several holy shit moments thrown at you in every chapter.
It might get its 7's and 8's but you can be assured this is one of the few titles that will be remembered this gen, and one of the titles that will be mentioned in every "just got me console x, what game should i buy ? " thread.

Also I'm having a very hard time believing there's a better looking title out there.
I already mentioned how in my opinion re5 cutscenes surpassed those found in mgs4 and by a huge margin even. The level of detail and realism they achieved with facial expressions and lip synching especially is so much better than anything else,

eso76 said:
just got to chapter 5
the game started slow, but it's a constant crescendo so far, with several holy shit moments thrown at you in every chapter.
It might get its 7's and 8's but you can be assured this is one of the few titles that will be remembered this gen, and one of the titles that will be mentioned in every "just got me console x, what game should i buy ? " thread.

Also I'm having a very hard time believing there's a better looking title out there.
I already mentioned how in my opinion re5 cutscenes surpassed those found in mgs4 and by a huge margin even. The level of detail and realism they achieved with facial expressions and lip synching especially is so much better than anything else,

Personally I think the high quality models shown in the ffxiii trailer look alot more impressive than those in RE5, but then I suppose FFXIII used different character models. I also don't agree at all that the facial animation is as good as MGS4...not that close really. Cutscenes do have more detail perhaps, but are not as well directed...

I have some info on unlockable weapons from the strategy guide that some people might not know about:

-Finish the game in under 5 hours to unlock an infinite ammo rocket launcher.
-Fully upgrade the M92F to unlock the M93R (burst-fire handgun).
-Fully upgrade the Ithaca M37 to unlock the Hydra (Triple-barelled shotgun).
-Fully upgrade the VZ61 and complete all chapters to unlock the gatling gun.
-Fully upgrade the S&W M29 to unlock the S&W M500.
-Fully upgrade the S75 and complete all chapters to unlock the longbow.

If anyone wants info on the DLC mode then I can post that as well.

jax (old)

Banned
eso76 said:

I gotta say... once you got to the first area with the containers + water, the lighting solution was making weird arse patterns on the container boxes and looks pretty horrible so I'd completely take it out of the "best looking titles" criteria. It looks good but its doesn't look great.

still on chapter 2 myself.

on chris's model. WTF happened there... when he had his coat on - his head and body was so disproportionate looking and he looked really stupid. It becomes less apparent once the coat is off but they really ruined how he looks. REmake Chris was hot. RE5 chris is... ..... ... not.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So it is possible to play on a higher difficulty than normal for an initial playthrough? I was concerned that normal would be too easy for CO-OP, so that would be wonderful.

dark10x said:
So it is possible to play on a higher difficulty than normal for an initial playthrough? I was concerned that normal would be too easy for CO-OP, so that would be wonderful.

Veteran is available from the start. You have to unlock professional.

Jax said:
on chris's model. WTF happened there... when he had his coat on - his head and body was so disproportionate looking and he looked really stupid. It becomes less apparent once the coat is off but they really ruined how he looks. REmake Chris was hot. RE5 chris is... ..... ... not.
I thought his model in the very first trailer was awesome. It wasn't too bulky, or anything like what we have now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish we could have played for longer Nem, but I really need to get some sleep. :lol I can't wait to play again.

The game just keeps getting better and better (I'm up to 4-2). Despite everyone saying how the game is just RE4HD, I'm having a very different experience with it than I did with RE4. I can't quite word it yet, but it's just pure fun.

For now, sleep. This weekend? Lots and lots of RE5 playing.

Oh and for those wondering, I initially said I was going to play through single player, but playing co-op elevates the game to a whole other level. So far I've only played chunks of it in co-op (the drop-in, drop-out system is great), and its been the most fun when playing like that, as I don't have to worry about setting Sheva up with the right ammo and items.

jax (old)

Banned
Pein said:
this game has virtually no load times when installed on the 360 hard drive, its awesome

it has almost no load times when installed on ps3. I'm sometimes never even get to read the "HISTORY OF RE" bits before the game boots. Love harddrives. :)

Pein

Banned
Jax said:
it has almost no load times when installed on ps3. I'm sometimes never even get to read the "HISTORY OF RE" bits before the game boots. Love harddrives. :)
yeah thats a bitch, sometimes I want it to load a bit slower just so I can read those :lol

grandyu

almost at the end of the game

-pretty decent game, albiet not much horror in it. though i didnt find RE4 horrific at all, i do think it had more atmosphere. the parts that had the most potential for horror were the indoor parts.

-the lack of gore bothers me, wanted to see some HD skull caps and spouting aortas.

-graphics are really really nice

Anyone possibly interested in a veteran playthrough Friday evening? I'm a pretty good player.

Looking for guys who are hopefully somewhat serious about the gam. Don't need any "HEEHEEHAHA" 12 year olds who make fun of every cutscene and treat the game like Madden. You know the types. HOLA.

Xater

Finished the game today. Great game but it took the first chapter to pick up the pace. I will definately continue to play it though. Just like RE4 this game has great unlocks and the co-op should help too. :D

About the ending and some other stuff:

Bringing in the Lickers was a great fanservice. I am also glad that they finally finished the Umbrella and Wesker storyline. Bad guy is done, we know what happened to all the fan favorites and now we can move on. Now I know why they already said that RE6 will be something completely new.

Top Bottom