• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

TChirath

Neo Member
Quick question:

Can you replay missions over and over for money? If not, are there places where you can try to "grind" money for weapon upgrade? Thanks.

eso76

nelsonroyale said:
Personally I think the high quality models shown in the ffxiii trailer look alot more impressive than those in RE5, but then I suppose FFXIII used different character models. I also don't agree at all that the facial animation is as good as MGS4...not that close really. Cutscenes do have more detail perhaps, but are not as well directed...

they all use different models for cutscenes. You can't really compare to FFXIII since it goes for a totally different style, which is a lot easier to pull off. Also, i didn't say facial animation is as good as MGS4's...i think it's a LOT better. As for the direction itself, MGS4 is better, but it has more ingredients to work with , emotions and characters you actually sort of care about.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
eso76 said:
they all use different models for cutscenes. You can't really compare to FFXIII since it goes for a totally different style, which is a lot easier to pull off. Also, i didn't say facial animation is as good as MGS4's...i think it's a LOT better. As for the direction itself, MGS4 is better, but it has more ingredients to work with , emotions and characters you actually sort of care about.
I recall reading an article detailing certain aspects of the creation process used for MGS4 and I believe they stated that the gameplay segments use the same models as the "polygon demos" (cutscenes).

Captain N

Xater said:
Finished the game today. Great game but it took the first chapter to pick up the pace. I will definately continue to play it though. Just like RE4 this game has great unlocks and the co-op should help too. :D

About the ending and some other stuff:

Bringing in the Lickers was a great fanservice. I am also glad that they finally finished the Umbrella and Wesker storyline. Bad guy is done, we know what happened to all the fan favorites and now we can move on. Now I know why they already said that RE6 will be something completely new.

What ever happened to Barry?

Xater said:
Finished the game today. Great game but it took the first chapter to pick up the pace. I will definately continue to play it though. Just like RE4 this game has great unlocks and the co-op should help too. :D

Bringing in the Lickers was a great fanservice. I am also glad that they finally finished the Umbrella and Wesker storyline. Bad guy is done, we know what happened to all the fan favorites and now we can move on. Now I know why they already said that RE6 will be something completely new.
Nicholai is still out there if they want to bring him back in some capacity, though the people who paid his wages are all gone and there's nothing particularly special about him. I still want to see the RE323Make thing I've posted about happen and that could get people thinking about Nicholai again. And, of course, Sherry is still out there somewhere, and TriCell still exists. I'll miss Umbrella, but it looks like they're transitioning back toward the 'evil corporation' end of things instead of Wesker Wesker Wesker, which can only be a good thing. Maybe we'll even go back to having a game or two set in the middle of a city. There are still plenty of main cast members to revisit - Chris, Jill, Rebecca, Barry, Claire, Leon, Ada, Carlos, Billy - and RE4/Degeneration/RE5 show that various bioweapons including many of the ones engineered by Umbrella are still out there and no longer controlled by the one company either.

Daigoro

Rez said:
I'm not going to type out any significant impressions, but I'm up to 3-1 (midway through, I just got all the
medallion pieces

I'm loving the game so far. I can't even imagine how much fun this is going to be on a repeat playthrough in co-op mode.

Just... awesome. So, so awesome.

oh shit!

im actually thinking of doing the midnight release thing tonight. very unusual for me, but i get out of work at 10pm and otherwise id have to wait until 10 tomorrow morning...

oh god. i might actually be pre-ordering a game here!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xater said:

but since this is a Chris game .. it would have been better if
they'd brought back the hunters instead of the lickers

Xater

Captain N said:
What ever happened to Barry?

Ok maybe we don't know exactly what's up with every character, but Barry is kinda secondary. You could also ask what's up with Rebecca... :lol

I thought it was satisfiying and I could see a new RE game without any of the old characters.

Daigoro

TEH-CJ said:
got to some dark cave, force to carry a lamp, no ammo. Fuck this horrible game. Glad i rented it. This is coming from someone that Loved resi4.

so weve gone from RE fans not wanting an all action game, to action gamer fans not wanting an RE game.

we've come full circle GAF.

NO AMMO!!!!! OMFGa;lskjdf'lsijf 'jaf

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Jax said:
I gotta say... once you got to the first area with the containers + water, the lighting solution was making weird arse patterns on the container boxes and looks pretty horrible so I'd completely take it out of the "best looking titles" criteria. It looks good but its doesn't look great.

still on chapter 2 myself.

Are you playing on PS3? I noticed that on PS3, but not on 360. The PS3 version's frame rate is also lower in a lot of places. (dons flame-retardant suit)

eso76 said:

Fair enough, I completely disagree though...facial animation looks somewhat ackward and uncovincing from what I have seen so far...also regarding FFXIII, thats a bit silly... all the stuff is still in engine, just with higher quality models, facial animation, even from that trailer, looked superior, its not 'easier to pull off' to any extent of the imagination

Honestly I wish they would have included
Mercenaries
without having to
beat the game
because I want my first playthrough to be by myself, single player, but I also want to dig into some co-op. Oh well. Since the game is 154 hours shorter than RE4 it shouldn't take too long but the 12fps+screen tearing on the PS3 version might slow it down.

Sectus

Xater said:
Ok maybe we don't know exactly what's up with every character, but Barry is kinda secondary. You could also ask what's up with Rebecca... :lol

I thought it was satisfiying and I could see a new RE game without any of the old characters.
I think something like Degeneration is a big hint of how the series will progress. Keep the main characters they have and make the storyline be about various not-so-nice factions getting hold of the t-virus, las plagss, or something else. I really doubt they'll start 100% from scratch and not use any of their established characters, that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

brandonh83 said:
Honestly I wish they would have included
Mercenaries
without having to
beat the game
because I want my first playthrough to be by myself, single player, but I also want to dig into some co-op. Oh well. Since the game is 154 hours shorter than RE4 it shouldn't take too long but the 12fps+screen tearing on the PS3 version might slow it down.
Once you play mercenarise mode, you'll understand why it's locked away. It would spoil a ton of the game.

Although, it might still be possible to play it if you really want to. Find a friend who's beaten the game and ask him to send a mercenaries invite, it might work.

BeeDog

Alright, been playing it for a short while now, good stuff so far. A bit past the first boss (what a pushover) and just reached the
shipyard, where you have to shoot down the key from the metal bar that's through the hanged guy's chest.

Daigoro said:
so weve gone from RE fans not wanting an all action game, to action gamer fans not wanting an RE game.

we've come full circle GAF.

NO AMMO!!!!! OMFGa;lskjdf'lsijf 'jaf

Not at all, RE4 drew in some non-resident evil fans (like me) who just loved it as a top-notch shooting game. Especially the Wii vesion. But I understand Capcom can't please both groups, horror fans like being short of ammo and scared in the dark. I simply enjoy distributing mass quantities of death.

I'll plow through it to earn the infinite ammo... and then the real fun starts for me, in the form of mowing down crowds of bad guys. And bystanders. I really don't care.

BeeDog said:
Alright, been playing it for a short while now, good stuff so far. A bit past the first boss (what a pushover) and just reached the
shipyard, where you have to shoot down the key from the metal bar that's through the hanged guy's chest.

Well it was the first boss. Also are you playing on Veteran?
He take either 2 or 3 (forget but its more then one) times in the fire to kill him on that difficulty

BeeDog

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well it was the first boss. Also are you playing on Veteran?
He take either 2 or 3 (forget but its more then one) times in the fire to kill him on that difficulty

Nope, playing on Normal since I don't want to be babysitting Sheva too much.

RPGCrazied

id rather they offer another campaign(side story) like most devs have been offering for DLC.. like fable 2 or prince of persia.

don't even have gold either.

MacBosse

Coin Return said:
My friend is lugging his 360 over tonight for some system link co-op. Hopefully we can finish before sunrise, it shall be epic!

I have two wishes ...
I wish I was your friend lugging my 360 to you.
I wish I had a 360 friend like you.

Wait ... three wishes ... I want a girlfriend looking as hot or more as Sheva.

Hellion

Yeah My cousin just informed me that the game clerk at his gaming store tried to sell him Re5 on Wednesday. :lol

I might Pick it up for co-op

tass0

Banned
I played for a bit and I must say, I am not impressed in the slight, the whole thing just seems... mediocre. I'll try it again but playing by myself this time, hopefully that will make it more "playable"

btw, does anyone know how to use voice-chat in RE5?

kuYuri

Yay, my RE5 copy is ready for pick-up tomorrow at Best Buy. :D

Still, I wanted to try and finish RE Dead Aim before the release. Damn school. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
tass0 said:
btw, does anyone know how to use voice-chat in RE5?
Which version?

For the 360 version I would suggest simply using the built-in chat feature. For PS3, however, who knows.

Volcynika

dark10x said:
Which version?

For the 360 version I would suggest simply using the built-in chat feature. For PS3, however, who knows.

As far as the PS3 demo was concerned, just talking into a connected mic works.

Kayas

Neo Member
MacBosse said:
I have two wishes ...
I wish I was your friend lugging my 360 to you.
I wish I had a 360 friend like you.

Wait ... three wishes ... I want a girlfriend looking as hot or more as Sheva.

Hell, I'm willing to bet you would accept a girlfriend at least as hot as Al Roker. :D ;)

panda21

are there spoiler videos of the whole thing anywhere yet? on the fence because shevver is really annoying but i want to see the awesome grafx

adamsapple

TheCardPlayer said:
Annnnnd I am buying this officially now. :lol Please tell me, you can use that in the main game.

yeah you can, it even appears in all the cutscenes. But you gotta unlock it first by obtaining all 30 BSAA emblems in the game.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
chandoog said:
yeah you can, it even appears in all the cutscenes. But you gotta unlock it first by obtaining all 30 BSAA emblems in the game.
I AM BUYING THIS GAME TOMORROW

adamsapple

~Kinggi~ said:
im assuming theater mode allows for a mixing and matching of costumes?

Also, new RE retrospective focusing on the files.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46616.html

pretty awesome.

yeah, you can do that in-game as well. The game doesn't divide the costumes into "sets" like RE4 did, Chris and Sheva have separate selection menu's. You can have Chris in his default set and Sheva in the one's shown in the pictures if you want to.

burgerdog

1UP Review said:
One example is a later level where two nearly indestructible gatling-gun-toting behemoths stalk you in a fiery warehouse, while lesser minions rush you from every angle. The behemoths won't go down using conventional means, so you have to figure out the trick to killing them, which isn't easy when you're running for your life.

Not true, I killed them just like any other enemy. Separated the two and straight up shot them down. It wasn't until AFTER I killed them that I found something that would've made that a lot easier.

Sushen

nelsonroyale said:
Fair enough, I completely disagree though...facial animation looks somewhat ackward and uncovincing from what I have seen so far...also regarding FFXIII, thats a bit silly... all the stuff is still in engine, just with higher quality models, facial animation, even from that trailer, looked superior, its not 'easier to pull off' to any extent of the imagination
FFXIII comparison is just silly. Nobody knows what kind of frame rate/loading time it's going to have.

Top Bottom