• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

scarybore

Playing solo first time through, just finished chapter 2-3 and it's awesome so far a part from
one section with a lantern which I daresay is much less annoying in co-op. Also dogs, damn they are freaky. Is that really a spoiler? probably not but I don't wanna piss anyone off.
Saving seems to take forever mind you.

chriskun

Damn, it got a B, I don't know if I should trust James Mielke's tastes anymore though. First I see him sporting Ruehl gear, and then he blogs about how much he likes a Crazy Town song, I think he might actually be living in crazy town now.

Daigoro

David H Wong said:
Not at all, RE4 drew in some non-resident evil fans (like me) who just loved it as a top-notch shooting game. Especially the Wii vesion. But I understand Capcom can't please both groups, horror fans like being short of ammo and scared in the dark. I simply enjoy distributing mass quantities of death.

I'll plow through it to earn the infinite ammo... and then the real fun starts for me, in the form of mowing down crowds of bad guys. And bystanders. I really don't care.

thats cool. i wasnt referring to you though.

USD said:
Seems like everyone in this thread is already playing the game. Everyone but me. :(

i dont have it yet either. i am actually doing the midnight launch thing tonight though. im a bit shocked myself, but im really looking forward to it now.

im sending you a FR on live btw.

TheCardPlayer said:
I AM BUYING THIS GAME TOMORROW

bu bu bu- worse than RE0!

burgerdog

Deathcraze said:
Saving seems to take forever mind you.

Try performing maintenance on your drive. Go to memory, press Y for device options then press X X LB RB X X. After I did that it only took around two seconds to save.

Daigoro

burgerdog said:
Try performing maintenance on your drive. Go to memory, press Y for device options then press X X LB RB X X. After I did that it only took around two seconds to save.

dont neglect to mention that this also clears all of the DLC off of your drive.

The new reviews actually have correct information, so much better than the ones a while back. Gamespy's review is the best I have read so far.

Amir0x

Banned
ResidentEvil5Small.jpg

LOVE THE CASE :D

Anyone want to play co-op, hit me up on Xbox Live @ Amitr0n. Will do a little tonight, but the weekend is where it'll be at!

scarybore

burgerdog said:

Cheers, that fixed it. Was taking 10 seconds to save and now it around 2.

From previous experience using the code (must be about 2 years back now), it only removed game updates and not DLC. In either case it's done now, I'll maybe test Halo in a bit to see if it affected DLC but I would doubt it.

the GT review claims the cutscenes are pre-recorded using the in-game engine.

If they are, Capcom are using the best compression ever. :lol During one cutscene however, the audio went 5 seconds out of sync which I am puzzled as to how it occured, possibly due to me having the 360 guide on display before it started or maybe a install to hard drive issue? Maybe it just buggered up, who knows.

Sectus

chandoog said:
the GT review claims the cutscenes are pre-recorded using the in-game engine .

wat ?
Gah, they said the same thing on one of their podcasts. A bit silly they still claim that when they've been doing comparisons between the PS3 and 360 versions, it's insanely obvious the cutscenes are realtime rendered.

Amir0x said:

LOVE THE CASE :D

Anyone want to play co-op, hit me up on Xbox Live @ Amitr0n. Will do a little tonight, but the weekend is where it'll be at![/QUOTE]

Oh man that looks nice, can't wait to pick up my red 360 tomorrow. I sent you a FR, I need someone to play co-op with this weekend!

Teknoman

PS3 PSN co-op tomorrow night hopefully.

Toys R Us
" Free $20 Gift Card when you purchase Resident Evil 5 (PS3/360)"

Everyone is supposed to have the game on the 13th right? If thats the case, I can get the game and snag PS:p at the same time.

Davey Cakes

Baloonatic said:
The difference in review scores is interesting.
Definitely. It's like the game is getting "mixed reviews" but they're merely "mixed" on the higher end.

I think it's great news that the game is getting good, but not blowout review scores. Means that the game "goodness" isn't being bloated by hype.

~Kinggi~

Banned
mjc said:
So he's ripping on the fact that there are black people in Africa? What should Capcom have done, put Chinese and German people East Africa and call it day? Jesus, what a mess.
meh, after listening to the review (dont watch, there are spoilers) it didnt sound too bad. I can see how someone might feel that way about it. Personally i dont care about control issues and the racism stuff.

Only thing that can bring the game down is if I find the Sheva AI to be really bad that it causes me problems.

That xplay review is one of Adams weaker efforts. I mean he faults an RE game for having cheesy dialog of all things. Then he brings up the racism issue and harps on that awhile. Then bashes the AI and controls. *shrug*

It seems like he expected a different type of game and because of that he didn't really review what the game is, but rather what he wanted it to be.

~Kinggi~ said:
let me guess, control issues?

Pretty much everything. The clunky inventory system, lack of run n' gun, the partner AI, pacing, lack of evasion moves, tank movement and inability to do melee attacks at will

:*(

I loved the demo though. Haters just don't know how to play and don't understand Resident Evil! (That, and I recently played RE4, so the controls are still fresh in my mind).

Davey Cakes

If Sheva's AI is "bad," then what's good AI?

I mean, there are two settings for her. One is more aggressive, while the other is more reserved.

Did anyone expect her AI to be mindblowing? From what I've played in the demo, she's fine. Yeah, sometimes she gets in the way, but that's just an issue with AI in general.

Rash said:
If Sheva's AI is "bad," then what's good AI?

I mean, there are two settings for her. One is more aggressive, while the other is more reserved.

Did anyone expect her AI to be mindblowing? From what I've played in the demo, she's fine. Yeah, sometimes she gets in the way, but that's just an issue with AI in general.

Yeah I have yet to play one game where your AI partner doesn't want you to go batshit insane. (KZ2 and Gears 2 Im looking at you.)

That is a ridiculous criticism.

[Nintex]

I got it yesterday, badly wanted the Limited Edition, forgot to pre-order, went to about 6-8 stores and all were sold out. It bodes well for the next Dutch charts though, RE5 on the number one spot without a doubt. Settled for the normal version and wow, I've been waiting for a gem like this. It's great so far, Sheva is doing a better job than she did in the demo. There's plenty of ammo to go around and most of all the game has a great atmosphere. :)

burgerdog

Daigoro said:

It doesn't delete your DLC, it deletes the dinky patches that take one or two seconds to download for titles that have received updates.

Daigoro

6hrs 15min to go!

tonight is going to be so fun. :D

Deathcraze said:
From previous experience using the code (must be about 2 years back now), it only removed game updates and not DLC. In either case it's done now, I'll maybe test Halo in a bit to see if it affected DLC but I would doubt it.

burgerdog said:
It doesn't delete your DLC, it deletes the dinky patches that take one or two seconds to download for titles that have received updates.

ah ok, thanks for the correction.

I really like adam sessler usually, but his RE5 review borders on moronic and seems to lack a sense of context.

and racism angle... wow.

in many parts of africa, most the folks are black. we can kill them as well. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY SLAYING. live with it.

I'd like the game more if it were even MORE like RE4. the controls being so similar doesn't bother me in the least. RE4 was my favorite game of the generation and probably nothing yet in the current gen has matched it.

edit: BTW, is there a spoiler free way someone could tell me how that
tribal sheva costume
is unlocked? I rather like it, to say the least. I still haven't secured the game, I should have it tomorrow.

ezekial45

Banned
HorribleJames said:
I'd like the game more if it were even MORE like RE4. the controls being so similar doesn't bother me in the least. RE4 was my favorite game of the generation and probably nothing yet in the current gen has matched it.

Try the type A control set-up.

The XPlay review was one of those reviews where he generally liked the game but spent 90% of the words bitching about flaws. It gives the impression of a horrible review when in reality he could have (presumably) spent just as much time on the positives.

And complaining about the silly story? In a Resident Evil game?

I guess that may be the difference; RE fans assume the controls will be one generation behind, they tolerate the cheeseball story and bad voice acting. It's all part of the Resident Evil package, for whatever reason. You can either knock off points or accept it and focus on what the game (and the series) does right: atmosphere, action, etc.

I have to admit, I can't get a grip on the game's difficulty. We've got people in this thread saying don't dare play it on the normal setting, because you'll breeze through it even playing alone. Adam acts like playing without a friend makes the game impossible.

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game is FUCKING AMAZING. It is fucking jesus on co-op mode goddamn. I am going to play through this shit a hundred times. 9/10 from the first few levels of co-op.

The graphics are just fucking melting my mind. In my mind definitely one of the best looking Xbox 360 games yet.

That aside, after playing through just the first few levels... I can definitely see why people think it may be racist. There are some extremely insensitive imagery in the game. When I saw some
red eyed black dude dragging a beautiful blonde chick through the mud, what it was evocative of is extremely negative racist connotations

I don't think it's wrong to have a game in Africa with primarily African enemies, but some of the things they did here should have been slightly more sensitive.

I'm positive that I cancelled my preorder for Resident Evil 5 from gamestop because I got money but I just got a call from Ashley. What are the odds of me getting the game still? :lol

Risette

A Good Citizen
The only issue I have with the controls is that you can't access items with diagonal presses. I don't understand why Capcom limited it to up/down/left/right.

VaLiancY

Amir0x said:
Man this game is FUCKING AMAZING. It is fucking jesus on co-op mode goddamn. I am going to play through this shit a hundred times. 9/10 from the first few levels of co-op.

The graphics are just fucking melting my mind. In my mind definitely one of the best looking Xbox 360 games yet.

That aside, after playing through just the first few levels... I can definitely see why people think it may be racist. There are some extremely insensitive imagery in the game. When I saw some
red eyed black dude dragging a beautiful blonde chick through the mud, what it was evocative of is extremely negative racist connotations

I don't think it's wrong to have a game in Africa with primarily African enemies, but some of the things they did here should have been slightly more sensitive.

You're playing with me tonight damnit!

Yeah the Africa setting was a bad idea from the start. It forces you to have the "white man with high-tech weapons performing genocide on a village full of black savages" scenario that most of humanity isn't cool with, due to, you know, history.

The fact that they tried to alleviate this by giving you an African partner... and then having her 1) be several shades whiter than the bad guys and 2)
have an unlockable mock tribal bikini that might as well have come with a bone in her nose
, it's pretty cringe-worthy stuff that I think a western developer wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole.

Not that I want to re-start that whole discussion though.

Concerning X-plays review. Playing on normal by yourself is fine the first time through. Though if you go to co-op its highly suggested you start on veteran. Veteran on single, your first time, will prove quite difficult imo.

I'm sorta shocked at that review. I mean its his review and opinion on the game but I really disagree with Adam Sesslers review on this one.

Ethereal

RE4 was revolutionary for its time but if you've played Gears 2, or more specifically Dead Space, then any of RE5's myriad of control options seem like taking a massive step backwards. I think Sessler got it right, and if you think he's mention of racism is out of place then clearly you didn't follow this game through its development very much.

Amir0x said:

Yeah this game is damn amazing. Glad your enjoying the hell out of it.

Top Bottom