• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

I thought Adam's point about racism was somewhat agreeable.

Adam Sessler said:
Capcom is definitely toying with loaded imagery that has, at various times in our history, been used to demean an entire people.
This is the statement that looks like it would get the most controversy. He should have left this out of a television review.

Adam Sessler said:
While that isn't the case with RE5, its use in the game lacks any real point of view. This visual symbology is hear solely for entertainment, which is both troubling and unnecessary.
This is a much better, but still kind of an iffy statement to me. When I consider what he said, I agree, but at the same time, don't care that much.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Concerning X-plays review. Playing on normal by yourself is fine the first time through. Though if you go to co-op its highly suggested you start on veteran. Veteran on single, your first time, will prove quite difficult imo.

I'm sorta shocked at that review. I mean its his review and opinion on the game but I really disagree with Adam Sesslers review on this one.

I don't know how familiar you are with XPlay but they worship RE 4. When it was out they were outright begging people to buy it, they declared it one of the best games ever made, over and over. They'd insert references into other reviews. So it's extremely possible that Adam was hoping RE5 would be every bit the game-changer that RE 4 was.

I personally had lower expectations, in the sense that if they had just given me an expansion pack with five more levels of RE4, I would have paid full price for it. HD, Co-op, etc, that's all just gravy for me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ethereal said:
RE4 was revolutionary for its time but if you've played Gears 2, or more specifically Dead Space, then any of RE5's myriad of control options seem like taking a massive step backwards. I think Sessler got it right, and if you think he's mention of racism is out of place then clearly you didn't follow this game through its development very much.
I think the people complaining about racism should have followed the development as well, since the devs have basically said in one of the first games they established that Africa was the origin of the virus, thus they are returning to Africa to end the story.

This game is a great example of the artist versus the politically correct critic.

The artist is told the setting is Africa. RE is a horror game. They immediately exploit what they think looks scary. So they make the black villagers extra high contrast, give them bright red eyes, and to them they think this is successful design that creeps people out. Same thing with he tribal dress on the enemies. They use this to create a real yet disturbing and foreign atmosphere to make the player feel uneasy.

The critic looks at all this and claims blatant racism, not really understanding the thought process behind the decisions.

There isnt racism here, its just a perception problem.

seat

Going to pick this up for rent tonight at a midnight release. I'm worried I'll be disappointed, but I can't help but get excited. It's Resident Evil, how could I not?

Daigoro

Amir0x said:
Man this game is FUCKING AMAZING. It is fucking jesus on co-op mode goddamn. I am going to play through this shit a hundred times. 9/10 from the first few levels of co-op.

The graphics are just fucking melting my mind. In my mind definitely one of the best looking Xbox 360 games yet.

UNFHG

David H Wong said:
Yeah the Africa setting was a bad idea from the start. It forces you to have the "white man with high-tech weapons performing genocide on a village full of black savages" scenario that most of humanity isn't cool with, due to, you know, history.

The fact that they tried to alleviate this by giving you an African partner... and then having her 1) be several shades whiter than the bad guys and 2)
have an unlockable mock tribal bikini that might as well have come with a bone in her nose
, it's pretty cringe-worthy stuff that I think a western developer wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole.

Not that I want to re-start that whole discussion though.

all very good points.

Ethereal said:
RE4 was revolutionary for its time but if you've played Gears 2, or more specifically Dead Space, then any of RE5's myriad of control options seem like taking a massive step backwards. I think Sessler got it right, and if you think he's mention of racism is out of place then clearly you didn't follow this game through its development very much.

I really disagree. We already have a bunch of shooters where you run around blasting everything. We don't need RE5 to be the same as everything else.

Moving and shooting was around before RE4. RE4 and RE5 lack running and shooting because it's a design choice to make the game have a certain feel... helps with suspense.

David H Wong said:
I don't know how familiar you are with XPlay but they worship RE 4. When it was out they were outright begging people to buy it, they declared it one of the best games ever made, over and over. They'd insert references into other reviews. So it's extremely possible that Adam was hoping RE5 would be every bit the game-changer that RE 4 was.

I personally had lower expectations, in the sense that if they had just given me an expansion pack with five more levels of RE4, I would have paid full price for it. HD, Co-op, etc, that's all just gravy for me.

I'm familiar with it and I adore RE4. I loved the hell out of it. RE is by far my favorite series in gaming history. Yet I still am head over hells in love with RE5. More then halfway through it as well. If X-play was seriously expecting RE5 to one up RE4 in terms of innovation, ground breaking changes and more.... They're fucking high. Also why is it that once a series re-invents itself and people are blown away, that they expect the sequel to do what took the developers 2-3 sequels to finally change. Blows my mind everytime.

Davey Cakes

HorribleJames said:
I really disagree. We already have a bunch of shooters where you run around blasting everything. We don't need RE5 to be the same as everything else.

Moving and shooting was around before RE4. RE4 and RE5 lack running and shooting because it's a design choice to make the game have a certain feel... helps with suspense.
I can agree with that. It certainly is about "feel."

This is what separated RE4 from the pack in the first place. It added action elements, but I can't think of any other action game that has the same "feel" to it. It blended fun, addictive action and shooting with tense environments and suspense. It wasn't just a run n' gun shooter. And, RE5 isn't that way either. It's finding a way to not just be another action game to throw amongst the pile, even though it does rely heavily on action elements.

RPGCrazied

wow, that was a pretty harsh review.

stop with the racism already.. its in Africa, of course there is going to be plenty of black folk around.

geeze

Rash said:
I can agree with that. It certainly is about "feel."

This is what separated RE4 from the pack in the first place. It added action elements, but I can't think of any other action game that has the same "feel" to it. It blended fun, addictive action and shooting with tense environments and suspense. It wasn't just a run n' gun shooter. And, RE5 isn't that way either. It's finding a way to not just be another action game to throw amongst the pile, even though it does rely heavily on action elements.

This, exactly what I feel about RE4.

5 hours!!!!!!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I noticed something funny. 1Up's RE5 cover story used to say

Capcom's new masterpiece

now it says

Capcom's controversial new survival-horror

What the fuck happened there? :lol Wait, it's still says it down there. They forgot to change one. Mielke calls the game masterpiece in his preview and then gives it a B. Seriously?

TheCardPlayer said:
I noticed something funny. 1Up's RE5 cover story used to say

Capcom's new masterpiece

now it says

Capcom's controversial new survival-horror

What the fuck happened there? :lol Wait, it's still says it down there. They forgot to change one. Mielke calls the game masterpiece in his preview and then gives it a B. Seriously?

That could be proof right there that media outlets look at other reviews and the controversy of said game and change their views on it to fit with the other. *shakes head* :lol

Sectus

careksims said:
I have played a game with good A.I. and her name is Alyx Vance from HL2. I dunno' about you but she really took good care of herself!
Wasn't Alyx also literally invincible? Sheva's AI is the best proper teammate AI I've seen in a game so far.

farnham

Banned
Im gonna play and enjoy RE 5.. but really eat that capcom and jun takeuchi.. thats for ignoring the real maste of RE mikami shinji

voltron

Baloonatic said:
Are some people playing with one hand or something? I just do not find this game at all difficult to control.

Youve sort of missed the point there. Its not *difficult* to control. Its annoying and awkward not being able to more or strafe while aiming your laser sight. Even if you when you actually pull the trigger you had to be stationary - that would be fine. But not being able to move at all while aiming it silly.

Anyway this argument is as as old as the hills now. No point rehashing it.

Sectus said:
Wasn't Alyx also literally invincible? Sheva's AI is the best proper teammate AI I've seen in a game so far.

Yeah its not really fair to compair the two because Alyx couldn't die and had her own ammo and all. So yeah little unfair. Though Alyx, I love you still. No hating.

Amir0x

Banned
Cross-post from other thread MY IMPRESSIONS:

1. The experience of playing through it with a friend, even a random person who talks, really makes it feel entirely different than RE4 though it plays very similarly. It's obvious but when I am fighting crazy ass monsters and one is coming down on the other, the co-operative horror is quite amazing. More amazing on VETERAN obviously.

2. I love RE4 gameplay, and basically this is RE4 gameplay with a few (great) tweaks and real-time inventory, which makes tense moments even tenser. The level design is medium step back from RE4, but the actual action is a medium step forward - in the end what you get is a package that overall stays about the same level of entertaining though they each excel in different ways.

If you are ABSOLUTELY OPPOSED to co-op, then I can see why the game would be a little disappointing. I tried the game on single player to wet my feet and immediately it feels like something was missing... set pieces were clearly designed to have that sort of swing-back-and-forth friend play that makes it so amazing. If you don't have that, the computer fills an impossible role and it won't ever be quite as good.

AS a co-op game, I am having just as much fun with RE5 as I ever had with RE4. Alone, I did not quite get that feeling.

With all this said and as RE4 was one of my favorite games of last generation, RE5 continues this tradition and quickly becomes one of my favorite games of current gen. Mercenaries co-op is going to be amazing.

It also goes without saying that the graphics are like a 9.5/10.

cryptic

Should I get the shit version of this now on the ps3 or wait for the pc version?

How will co-op even work on the pc?

Also, does anyone else think Capcom failed on their initial plan to revolutionize RE5 by using light and dark cues or whatever they wanted to do at the beginning and so decided to just shoehorn co-op into the game?

Does anyone know how saving progress and such works with the chapter select? I decided to stop in the middle of chp 4 and go back and replay some earlier chapters, mostly for BSAA medallions. I noticed that I could take my current weapon set up into the earlier chapters, but will any items and money I earn go back out with me to the main game?

BeeDog

Die Squirrel Die said:
Does anyone know how saving progress and such works with the chapter select? I decided to stop in the middle of chp 4 and go back and replay some earlier chapters, mostly for BSAA medallions. I noticed that I could take my current weapon set up into the earlier chapters, but will any items and money I earn go back out with me to the main game?

When you replay and finish a specific chapter, I believe the game will ask you if you want to save the new item status, so if you had a bad run and wasted tons of ammo, you can opt to not save, and keep your items the same as when you began the mission. I might be wrong though, someone will need to confirm!

duckroll

Die Squirrel Die said:

The game uses a single unified inventory. This means your money and equipment will carry over to anything. Unfortunately the game only saves the last checkpoint location you have played. So if you played half of say 4-1 but didn't beat it, if you load 2-1 or 3-2 or whatever, you'll have to play all of 4-1 again later from the start of it. I recommend switching chapters only when you've beaten the sub chapter. All money and items carry over regardless though, if that's what you're asking. You can grind in earlier chapters to better prepare yourself for later chapters if you want.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Rash said:
If Sheva's AI is "bad," then what's good AI?

I mean, there are two settings for her. One is more aggressive, while the other is more reserved.

Did anyone expect her AI to be mindblowing? From what I've played in the demo, she's fine. Yeah, sometimes she gets in the way, but that's just an issue with AI in general.

Not sure about Normal, but on Veteran she's trash. She does a metric ton of stupid shit. Don't wanna begin listing it all, and I can imagine it's much easier to cope with on Normal, but certain parts have birthed a part of me that is a mix of sexist, racist, Tourette's having and mildly insane amidst bouts of yelling and hatred aimed at her.

~Kinggi~

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Not sure about Normal, but on Veteran she's trash. She does a metric ton of stupid shit. Don't wanna begin listing it all, and I can imagine it's much easier to cope with on Normal, but certain parts have birthed a part of me that is a mix of sexist, racist, Tourette's having and mildly insane amidst bouts of yelling and hatred aimed at her.
hmm, ok so what you are saying is Veteran is ungodly hard on single player?

Thats what killed Killzone 2 for me. I got invested in Veteran mode and threw a hissy fit on the last level when i sounded like the girl from the Exorcist.

Thanks for the info. I probably should have realised it wouldn't let me resume mid-chapter, but it sounds like, by far the most sensible approach to an ongoing chapter select in a game.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
~Kinggi~ said:

Thats what killed Killzone 2 for me. I got invested in Veteran mode and threw a hissy fit on the last level when i sounded like the girl from the Exorcist.

Yeah if you get easily aggravated I'd suggest against it on the first go. If you're a masochist who's stubborn like me, then by all means go for it.

duckroll

~Kinggi~ said:

I don't think he's saying it's hard. Just that as the challenge ramps up, Sheva's AI shows more and more of it's shortcomings. Since the AI's shortcoming become more obvious, the player will have to do much more work in single player. The problem is an issue of design, not so much of AI. There are things you cannot expect the AI partner to be able to do, because if it is smart enough to do those things, then the game would be rendered too easy.

The AI partner will never use things in context. Even if you set it on aggressive there are certain things it will NOT do. It will not wait for enemies to line up and then throw a grenade. It will not switch to a sniper rifle to take up enemies far away while there are enemies near-by, even if you're covering that. It will often not solve puzzles that involve shooting an enemy before the game will proceed, even if you're low on health and hiding hoping it does the job instead.

In Normal most of these things are fine, even though the game is designed to be a co-op experience, you just accept these things and you can beat it without too much of a fuss. With higher difficulties these shortcomings get annoying, because you actually want to count on a partner who can react to you and work with you. This is where the SP of RE5 shows it's weakness of being designed as a co-op experience. But as long as you can find a friend to play with you, it should be a blast.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Holy crap X-Play just ripped RE5 a new one. I already knew RE4 was there favorite game of last generation by far so they pretty much hit the nail on the head for anyone who loved 4 and may have problems with what RE5 did for the sequel. 3 out of 5.

Ganondorfo

Does anyone know the track of this amazing boss battle(BIG SPOILER, DON'T READ, IT'S ALMOST AT THE END, ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEATEN THE GAME)

When you have fight against jill and pull the device from her, so only the solo fight against her

It's a very amazing track.

Pojo

Banned
Quick question before I start:

Does the game allow you to go back and play sections of chapters ala Killzone 2 (or even single chapters by themselves), or is it a system that when you beat it you can't go back? I ask this because I will collect all of the items, but I never do it on my first playthrough.

duckroll

Pojo said:

Does the game allow you to go back and play sections of chapters ala Killzone 2 (or even single chapters by themselves), or is it a system that when you beat it you can't go back? I ask this because I will collect all of the items, but I never do it on my first playthrough.

You can go back on any chapter you've already cleared.

Also: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15093919&postcount=2852

BeeDog

Pojo said:

You can replay whatever chapter you want, but you always start from the beginning of that particular chapter.

Shaheed79 said:
Holy crap X-Play just ripped RE5 a new one. I already knew RE4 was there favorite game of last generation by far so they pretty much hit the nail on the head for anyone who loved 4 and may have problems with what RE5 did for the sequel. 3 out of 5.
Just saw that myself. They hit my biggest gripe with the demo - Sheva's AI. I'm still planning to pick this up for the co-op experience though.

Guled

Shaheed79 said:
it makes no sense, they love RE4, but bash RE5 for having the same cons as RE4. Whatever its not like they weren't a joke when it comes to reviews to start off with

MvmntInGrn said:
I am surprised Reviews have been so varied for this game, I expected everyone to give it 92-100 and move on.
One of the things I always liked about X-Play's reviews is that they gave just about everything a 3/5. It took something special for them to give it a 4/5, and something unbelieveable for a 5/5. They've given reviews that I've disagreed with a few times, but for the most part, in my experience, they've been pretty solid about not drinking the hype flavored kool-aid.

It's a rarity to see a reviewer put anything outside the scale of 8-10.

[Nintex]

This game is amazing, I've just completed a few chapters and damn it just keeps throwing shit at you at a breakneck pace. Die B.O.W's, die!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Honestly this is my opinion so far as I'm playing the game mostly by myself. Unless you play RE5 with a partner the game does not even begin to touch RE4 on its own merits. I'm at the end of Chapter 3 at the docks and this game has foiled nearly every attempt I've made to play the game the way I want to play because of the AI. Item management was my expertise in RE4 in fact I would skip over the first inventory space upgrades just to save on Pesetas. Having said that I absolutely hate the Inventory system in RE5. Why in the world would they not allow me the option to use a heal item on pick-up like every other freakin RE game in existence?

They designed the game so completely around playing with a human partner that they completely ignored what was so great about playing RE4 by yourself. I can write an essay about all of the little differences that eventually add up into an experience not quite as thought out and polished as RE4. I think I will wait until I have an opportunity to play splitscreen with a friend before I take on chapter 4 because my frustration is at the point where I have stopped enjoying moving foward.

[Nintex]

Shaheed79 said:
Honestly this is my opinion so far as I'm playing the game mostly by myself. Unless you play RE5 with a partner the game does not even begin to touch RE4 on its own merits. I'm at the end of Chapter 3 at the docks and this game has foiled nearly every attempt I've made to play the game the way I want to play because of the AI. Item management was my expertise in RE4 in fact I would skip over the first inventory space upgrades just to save on Pesetas. Having said that I absolutely hate the Inventory system in RE5. Why in the world would they not allow me the option to use a heal item on pick-up like every other freakin RE game in existence?

They designed the game so completely around playing with a human partner that they completely ignored what was so great about playing RE4 by yourself. I can right an essay about all of the little differences that eventually add up into an experience not quite as thought out and polished as RE4. I think I will wait until I have an opportunity to play splitscreen with a friend before I take on chapter 4 because my frustration is at the point where I have stopped enjoying moving foward.
I've set Sheva to cover and that's what she does. She heals me when I'm down, helps me if I'm under attack and unlike the demo she looks after herself pretty well. She got in trouble only because of me and having her around doesn't bother me at all.

Pojo

Banned
bmf said:
One of the things I always liked about X-Play's reviews is that they gave just about everything a 3/5. It took something special for them to give it a 4/5, and something unbelieveable for a 5/5. They've given reviews that I've disagreed with a few times, but for the most part, in my experience, they've been pretty solid about not drinking the hype flavored kool-aid.

It's a rarity to see a reviewer put anything outside the scale of 8-10.
The problem with that is putting RE5 in the "just about everything" category, when it is clearly so much more than that. It works both ways.

I rate games like this: If I bothered to put enough time into it to complete it, I'll say so and give a list of its shortcomings if need be. People get too wrapped up in reviews. If it's a game that provides enough incentive to keep playing, how is it a mediocre game? Being forced to play through a game like these guys are is another thing, but I doubt they had to struggle through RE5.

Ganondorfo

Shaheed79 said:

They designed the game so completely around playing with a human partner that they completely ignored what was so great about playing RE4 by yourself. I can write an essay about all of the little differences that eventually add up into an experience not quite as thought out and polished as RE4. I think I will wait until I have an opportunity to play splitscreen with a friend before I take on chapter 4 because my frustration is at the point where I have stopped enjoying moving foward.

That is also a thing I hate in RE5, you have to scroll fast in your inventory because the enemies are coming as you are selecting a weapon you want to equip, or use a herb.
In resident evil 4 you had free time to choose a weapon you wanted to equip.

They screwed also up with the ammo.
For example
You find 5 shotgun shells and later you find again 5 shotgun shells, you think it becomes 10 shotgun shells in the inventory, but no, these shotgun shells use 2 spaces in the inventory.

Shaheed79 said:

As somebody who doesn't have any game-playing friends (that own the same consoles as me) I sympathize with you, not just on this but on all games that have moved toward a multiplayer-first model. I heard relentless hype about Gears of War and found myself baffled upon my attempts to play it, because I didn't realize that all the hype was about the multiplayer. And no, I have absolutely no desire to go play with strangers (that is, play with 12 year-olds squealing racial slurs into their headset).

That's one area where gaming has just left me behind, but damn it I can't be the only one.

[Nintex]

Ganondorfo said:
That is also a thing I hate in RE5, you have to scroll fast in your inventory because the enemies are coming as you are selecting a weapon you want to equip, or use a herb.
In resident evil 4 you had free time to choose a weapon you wanted to equip.
Use the d-pad or press R when your cursor is on the weapon you want. You don't actually have to press A > equip. There's alot of shortcuts that the game doesn't mention.

2real4tv

Teknoman said:
PS3 PSN co-op tomorrow night hopefully.

Toys R Us
" Free $20 Gift Card when you purchase Resident Evil 5 (PS3/360)"

Everyone is supposed to have the game on the 13th right? If thats the case, I can get the game and snag PS:p at the same time.

thanks

Pojo

Banned
Ganondorfo said:
They screwed also up with the ammo.
For example
You find 5 shotgun shells and later you find again 5 shotgun shells, you think it becomes 10 shotgun shells in the inventory, but no, these shotgun shells use 2 spaces in the inventory.
I think they did that so you don't have to give your entire ammo stash to a friend. You can just split it.

Top Bottom