• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
Does this look different than the game to anyone? I mean, this trailer in general. The color and lighting is much warmer. The sun feels really bright and oppressive in this trailer...it's a bit duller and flatter in the game.

The game definitely doesn't live up to that. That trailer was a motion bullshot.

Sectus

That 2007 trailer definitely has more of a stylish look to it, but I wouldn't say it looks better. I think that look would quickly become tiring if they used it in the entire game. And there's certain things which definitely looked less than amazing (like the sky is literally 100% white all the time). I think this is back when Capcom was serious about trying the style where it was so bright it could blind you for a few seconds.

It's interesting to see how many things were different in the trailers. 2007 shows a few cutscenes we know from the full game, but without Sheva. Was Sheva added that late into the project? When they made that trailer in 2007, was it still only Chris? I think that 2007 trailer definitely makes the game seem a lot more creepy and scary, for instance the scene at the beginning where Chris suddenly sees the whole village empty.

On the other hand, gameplay wise I definitely think they made the right choice. There's no way in hell that playing the game as one single person would be more fun.

There's a bunch of other things which are different in the trailer, even in the new trailers from 2008. Those flying las plagas enemies in the garden. Townfolk majini in the ruins. 1:07 from the E3 2008 trailer shows an awesome outdoor scene in pure darkness with enemies approaching Chris. 1:10 in the same trailer shows Sheva in an open area which I can't remember in the full game (although looking at the tires to the left, I think I recognize the area from a cutscene). But I'm gonna bet most of those scenes weren't ever real gameplay scenes in the game, just some devs playing around and spawning enemies in specific maps just to record some nice footage.

Captain N

quick question about a trophy / Achievement...

Bad Blood

How many times do you need to hit Wesker to get the Trophy?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Captain N said:
quick question about a trophy / Achievement...

Bad Blood

How many times do you need to hit Wesker to get the Trophy?

it's based on points of damage, if you want to be 100% certain, you can use a rocket launcher. Or a couple of magnum shots or a bunch of close up shotgun shells ...

BeeDog

Wait wait wait, just read this at GameFAQs regarding one unlockable (minor, but I'll hide it anyway):

"Unlimited ammuntion for a weapon - Max out the upgrades for that gun."

Does this actually mean that if I upgrade a weapon fully during my Normal run, I can get unlimited ammo for it, and use that on my Professional run?

jax (old)

Banned
gotta say, the new gametrailers video is SO spoilerific. I watched a bit but had to stop past the re4esque [spoilerl]GOLEM[/spoiler]

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sheva is unbearable. I just love how she's always scurrying behind you...so fucking annoying. And you can't even keep her at bay with the commands.

razorman

Having fun so far in single player, can't wait to do a co-op run as well.

The graphics are truly amazing. Best looking game I've seen on any console to date.

Captain N

chandoog said:
it's based on points of damage, if you want to be 100% certain, you can use a rocket launcher. Or a couple of magnum shots or a bunch of close up shotgun shells ...

Do Counterattacks count?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like some of the bosses "wait" for you to empty all your rounds and then die, like the end boss in the first Silent Hill.

For example:
the Bat boss.

Davey Cakes

Sectus said:
On the other hand, gameplay wise I definitely think they made the right choice. There's no way in hell that playing the game as one single person would be more fun.
It could've been more fun, if the game was, you know, actually not built for co-op play. After all, I am hearing that RE4 was a better SP experience than RE5, but RE5 is as good or better in co-op (and that's because, in general, co-op improves most games by extending olayability and replayability).

I, personally, am not totally against the co-op direction. But really, who's to say that RE5 wouldn't have been as fun if it was purely single player like RE4? What if, instead of getting this co-op-centric game, we got a game that was just like RE4 action-wise, but also included elements such as extreme brightness, heat (hallucincations, possibly), and fear-inducing darkness? Some of the additions that were potentially early ideas scrapped in favor of the co-op mechanic.

To be honest, I think if Capcom went with that direction, this game would be getting even better received than it is now. It would be the next logical and preferable step for Resident Evil. It would be a showcase game for the series, and would be truly and fully differentiated from other games in the action and survival/horror genres, rather than seemingly struggling through its current "identity crisis" where it can't figure out if it's an action game or an RE game (where, of course, RE4 was impressive because it struck the balance).

mattso

Chiggs said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like some of the bosses "wait" for you to empty all your rounds and then die.

For example:
the Bat boss.
much tougher on pro especially since it seemed like they did not give you any
land mines
in pro for a quick easy knock over.

Bought the
longbow
. A few more bsaa emblems and I can go full out tribal on their majini asses.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Got the game and am having some problems with the loading on the 360 version. I started a new game and i waited until i read the entire RE story it shows before going to the dashboard then starting the game again. After that the game loaded in like 2 sec. I watched the cut scene and the screen froze during part of it but the audio continued. I went to dashboard then started the game again. I finished the cut scene no problem then it got stuck on the next loading screen again.

My xbox RROD on me like 2 months ago and MS just sent me a new one. I'm installing it to the HDD now to see if that gets rid of this. I installed the update when you first pop the disc in too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chiggs said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like some of the bosses "wait" for you to empty all your rounds and then die, like the end boss in the first Silent Hill.

For example:
the Bat boss.

every boss has a certain way for it to kill easily besides pumping all your rounds into it ..

for the bat boss, wait for it to come on the ground, then use a proximity mine, if it hits the mine it'll flip to its side revealing its soft stomach for a decent period of time for you to inflict maximum damage. It shouldn't take a lot of bullets if you're hitting it properly .

Ryn

Been playing this game all day, taking a mini-break at the 5-2 mark. Playing this game co-op is definitely more fun than playing it solo, though the AI is not stupid, which is a good thing. Well, most of the time. >:eek:

Is it just me or did Chapter 4 (especially 4-2) seem like it came straight out of Tomb Raider, puzzles and all (lol mirrors+lasers)?

HOLY SHIT LICKERS ARE BACK! I definitely felt pretty cool sneaking past a whole hallway crawling with them (ch. 5), and then i accidentally ran into one at the end =(

mattso

Ryn said:
Been playing this game all day, taking a mini-break at the 5-2 mark. Playing this game co-op is definitely more fun than playing it solo, though the AI is not stupid, which is a good thing. Well, most of the time. >:eek:

Is it just me or did Chapter 4 (especially 4-2) seem like it came straight out of Tomb Raider, puzzles and all (lol mirrors+lasers)?

HOLY SHIT LICKERS ARE BACK! I definitely felt pretty cool sneaking past a whole hallway crawling with them (ch. 5), and then i accidentally ran into one at the end =(

I made sure to alert them and kill em all on purpose to get all their precious lion heart's for gold.

Seems like the chicken audio is the same from OoT. Maybe chicken noises are pretty generic, but it sounds exactly the same to me. :lol :lol

Ryn

mattso said:
I made sure to alert them and kill em all on purpose to get all their precious lion heart's for gold.

aaand this is the part where I feel dumb and wondering why I'm so poor in this game. :|

Oh well, there's always a second runthrough.

mattso

Ryn said:
aaand this is the part where I feel dumb and wondering why I'm so poor in this game. :|

Oh well, there's always a second runthrough.
I mean it's not dumb to sneak past them. It took me a ton of ammo for my grenade launcher, a first aid spray, andseveral tries to do it so if you'd rather not use your ammo if you're low and so on then a few thousand gold isn't worth it.

Played a bit further and YES!!! Its like someone strapped a rocket on this game cause its taking off and doing things I have never seen a RE game do. In fact at parts its more MGS level epicness than the usual RE slower paced type of game. The areas you visit, mind blowingly beautiful, yes I know Killzone 2 is supposed to be the best looking game around, call me crazy, this game looks better.

My complaints about it not having a good mix of different scenarios is now gone as the game is now constantly surprising me with the situations its throwing at me. All sorts of new enemies are appearing, they are vicious, what slow zombie like AI, did some of these reviewers only play the first area, these guys are running full speed and JUMPING on me! Its complete insanity.

Oh and the amount of weapons and upgrades to do, yikes. I am starting to see that this game is clearly meant to be played more than once, hell I would say its designed more for the subsequent playthroughs more than the first one. I can totally see a whole layer of strategy come in when you do have a full aresenal and you have to choice which weapons to take with you in a certain chapter. I still struggle with having an AI partner, not cause she is bad AI, more of the fact that I am not in complete control of the situation, I do have to think about her. Above all its the inventory that messes me up, there was one section where you are in small paths and tons of enemies are coming at you, so many that I was running out of ammo fast, well my partner had what I needed, to find time to exchange items in that mess was suicide. Also becuase I was with AI Sheva basically only know to stay with me so having to players cramped in such a small area was not ideal, it was messy. If I had a human partner he could go off to a different side and cause the enemies to split allowing much more room to actually take them down.

I fought the boss fight against the new El Gigante you have all seen in the trailers, WOW. I know its basically a turret fight, doesn't matter, its executed so well.

The story, well it was dragging along until... WESKER!!!!! OMGWOWOWOWBBQBLAASIKASGEGY1!!!! BEST CUTSCENE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN RE HISTORY!! And that was just the backstory, i can only imagine what awaits. Screw Metal Gear, this is the most epic finale ever, Chris vs Wesker.

Spoilers about chapter 2-3 and 3-1

Car chase was MGS level awesome. Its at that moment where I saw that this game is not just RE anymore its full a blown action extravaganza. As I said before I loved the boss fight that followed.

But by far my favorite part of the game so far was the giant lake. First off the tribal enemies are fantastic, oh and the crazy plagas thing that comes out of them woah, and the big boss dudes are badass too. So many great enemies in this game. But what I loved about it most was how it was like a big playground to just explore, land on this island and see what traps await, find a shipwreck in the middle and get a rocket launcher, avoid the enemies perched in the towers. It was like a minurature version of Wind Waker, I loved it.

jax (old)

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Played a bit further and YES!!! Its like someone strapped a rocket on this game cause its taking off and doing things I have never seen a RE game do. In fact at parts its more MGS level epicness than the usual RE slower paced type of game. The areas you visit, mind blowingly beautiful, yes I know Killzone 2 is supposed to be the best looking game around, call me crazy, this game looks better.

My complaints about it not having a good mix of different scenarios is now gone as the game is now constantly surprising me with the situations its throwing at me. All sorts of new enemies are appearing, they are vicious, what slow zombie like AI, did some of these reviewers only play the first area, these guys are running full speed and JUMPING on me! Its complete insanity.

Oh and the amount of weapons and upgrades to do, yikes. I am starting to see that this game is clearly meant to be played more than once, hell I would say its designed more for the subsequent playthroughs more than the first one. I can totally see a whole layer of strategy come in when you do have a full aresenal and you have to choice which weapons to take with you in a certain chapter. I still struggle with having an AI partner, not cause she is bad AI, more of the fact that I am not in complete control of the situation, I do have to think about her. Above all its the inventory that messes me up, there was one section where you are in small paths and tons of enemies are coming at you, so many that I was running out of ammo fast, well my partner had what I needed, to find time to exchange items in that mess was suicide. Also becuase I was with AI Sheva basically only know to stay with me so having to players cramped in such a small area was not ideal, it was messy. If I had a human partner he could go off to a different side and cause the enemies to split allowing much more room to actually take them down.
I fought the boss fight against the new El Gigante you have all seen in the trailers, WOW. I know its basically a turret fight, doesn't matter, its executed so well.

The story, well it was dragging along until... WESKER!!!!! OMGWOWOWOWBBQBLAASIKASGEGY1!!!! BEST CUTSCENE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN RE HISTORY!! And that was just the backstory, i can only imagine what awaits. Screw Metal Gear, this is the most epic finale ever, Chris vs Wesker.

Spoilers about chapter 2-3 and 3-1

Car chase was MGS level awesome. Its at that moment where I saw that this game is not just RE anymore its full a blown action extravaganza. As I said before I loved the boss fight that followed.

But by far my favorite part of the game so far was the giant lake. First off the tribal enemies are fantastic, oh and the crazy plagas thing that comes out of them woah, and the big boss dudes are badass too. So many great enemies in this game. But what I loved about it most was how it was like a big playground to just explore, land on this island and see what traps await, find a shipwreck in the middle and get a rocket launcher, avoid the enemies perched in the towers. It was like a minurature version of Wind Waker, I loved it.

your spoiler tagging sucks. spoiler tag better.

Sectus

Well, I played through one chapter with the AI for the heck of it. I don't really get all the complaints about the AI. As long as you keep the AI in attack stance most of the time and cover the AI whenever needed, everything works out just great. Shotgun and sniper rifle seems to work especially well for the AI. I was almost able to do the coop tag team attack twice, something I rarely get to do with human players unless it's set up properly.

Rash said:
It could've been more fun, if the game was, you know, actually not built for co-op play. After all, I am hearing that RE4 was a better SP experience than RE5, but RE5 is as good or better in co-op (and that's because, in general, co-op improves most games by extending olayability and replayability).

I, personally, am not totally against the co-op direction. But really, who's to say that RE5 wouldn't have been as fun if it was purely single player like RE4? What if, instead of getting this co-op-centric game, we got a game that was just like RE4 action-wise, but also included elements such as extreme brightness, heat (hallucincations, possibly), and fear-inducing darkness? Some of the additions that were potentially early ideas scrapped in favor of the co-op mechanic.

To be honest, I think if Capcom went with that direction, this game would be getting even better received than it is now. It would be the next logical and preferable step for Resident Evil. It would be a showcase game for the series, and would be truly and fully differentiated from other games in the action and survival/horror genres, rather than seemingly struggling through its current "identity crisis" where it can't figure out if it's an action game or an RE game (where, of course, RE4 was impressive because it struck the balance).
Well, it's all speculation. I can at least say that RE5 (in both singleplayer and coop) is a lot more fun than RE4. And one of the biggest reasons for that is the coop play, even if it's just with the AI.

I think it's unfair to assume that Capcom had to abandon other ideas because of coop, there's really no way to prove that. I personally think they dropped the whole bright/dark concept because it didn't work. But well, we'll never know for sure.l

Risette

A Good Citizen
2i6nucx.jpg

Finally got mine. :D Framed thing is from Blockbuster (got it free, preorder bonus I guess)
Installing now.

Lakitu

st5fu
Been playing co-op with my brother, and we have just done chapter 3-2 or 3-3 and it has been a blast so far, really fun for co-op and really intense. I mean it's no way scary but just really tense, we had some really awesome moments so far.

The one that pissed me off though is being attacked by a fucking chicken. So I sliced that sunofabitch.

USD

Been playing nonstop since I got my copy, got though 3-1 and am now taking a food break. The starting handgun with fully upgraded crit is utter destruction (and vital for quickly taking down enemies). I'm liking the challenge of Veteran, and I do like that you actually have to manage your inventory. The game isn't really scary but the tension can get pretty high. There aren't any set pieces that have really stuck out, but everything has been good fun so far.

TwIsTeD

played co-op last night on live until 2-2.... this is one of the best co-op experiences i have had period, kudos to capcom for being not only the best dev this gen, but also of all time!

Question about a something that changed in the full version from the way it was in the demo:

The chainsaw guy comes back to life after you take the key from him in the full version and goes into a berserker rage. Is it possible to kill him in that state, or are you just supposed to run away and exit the level? I tried putting a few more shots into him, but I didn't want to risk getting killed and took off.

Lakitu

st5fu
ThirstyFly said:
Question about a something that changed in the full version from the way it was in the demo:

The chainsaw guy comes back to life after you take the key from him in the full version and goes into a berserker rage. Is it possible to kill him in that state, or are you just supposed to run away and exit the level? I tried putting a few more shots into him, but I didn't want to risk getting killed and took off.

Really? That didn't happen to me.

woodchuck

Chiggs said:

For example:
the Bat boss.

ohhhh that makes more sense...i thought i just got lucky :lol

and yeah, i did
flip him over with the land mines then shoot his underbelly. it still took all the ammo i had

Lakitu said:
Really? That didn't happen to me.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it. I took
the key off his corpse, and he got back up and ran around swinging the chainsaw non-stop and laughing like a freak.

I'm playing on Normal, what are you on?

TwIsTeD

ThirstyFly said:

did not happen to me either, sounds fun :D

Just got this for PS3. I can't get over how nostalgic it feels to be playing this on a Playstation, like I did when the original RE came out in 96 and then RE2.

Pics from the pick up thread.
nmm88w.jpg

jtuovq.jpg

300vgn7.jpg

TwIsTeD said:
did not happen to me either, sounds fun :D

It was pretty funny, but I was a little worried it would be a 1-hit death so I got my ass out of there. I'd like to know if it's possible to kill him for a $ reward, but it didn't seem like it was worth the risk at th time.

USD

ThirstyFly said:

Yeah that shit came out of nowhere. :lol
You can kill him though, does it take too much more after he rages.

BeeDog

BeeDog said:
Wait wait wait, just read this at GameFAQs regarding one unlockable (minor, but I'll hide it anyway):

"Unlimited ammuntion for a weapon - Max out the upgrades for that gun."

Does this actually mean that if I upgrade a weapon fully during my Normal run, I can get unlimited ammo for it, and use that on my Professional run?

Anyone? :(

Lakitu

st5fu
ThirstyFly said:
Yeah, I wasn't expecting it. I took
the key off his corpse, and he got back up and ran around swinging the chainsaw non-stop and laughing like a freak.

I'm playing on Normal, what are you on?

I'm playing on Normal aswell, but maybe I didn't catch it because we just booked it as soon as we got the key.

Did anybody manage to kill the executioner, and if you did, what is the reward?

LordK

I'm sort confused how all the inventory and money works. So right now I'm playing a single player game (since my friends are gonna be on later). I plan to join as Sheva on their games... do I have like a unified set of money/inventory? So my money/inventory will follow me wherever I go?

Or.. what?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, I'm playing on easy and.. um.. I can't beat the first boss. You know the
wormy thing that looks like it came from Princess Mononoke. I knocked over the canister, be picked it up, I shot it while he was holding it. Did the same for the second. He was still alive, Shiva and I threw every bullet and grenade we had at it, to no avail. Help?

USD

RurouniZel said:
wormy thing that looks like it came from Princess Mononoke. I knocked over the canister, be picked it up, I shot it while he was holding it. Did the same for the second. He was still alive, Shiva and I threw every bullet and grenade we had at it, to no avail. Help?
Lead him into the furnace and pull the switch to incinerate him. After a few times he'll go down.

Dead

well not really...yet
RurouniZel said:
You need to
have him chase you around and when he gets into the furnace room, quickly get out and shut the door and activate the furnace while he is still in it

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Four hours in now and I've died at least eight times (playing on normal). That might seem like an awful lot, but really, it's at two specific places:
the chainsaw guy managed to kill me three times or more, two of those because I was reloading and couldn't cancel it. And then five times by those fucking crocs. Four of those were at one area where you're collecting pieces of an emblem and once when you're on a raft. Man, I don't like 'em.

jsrv

RurouniZel said:

Lure the monster into the incinerator room, while the canister is stuck to him shoot it (Stuns him), then run outside the incinerator room, push incinerator button. Repeat process again with the other canister, and it dies.

LordK

RurouniZel said:

Dear god I hope I know which one you're talking about so I'm gonna take a guess (so just highlight like the first few words first):

The boss that's a ton of worms? I don't remember any other worm type boss before that. If that's the case, you need to run back to the room where you got the furnace key, then when it's in the furnace room, go to the control panel and set the furnace off.

Top Bottom