• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
jsrv said:
Lure the monster into the incinerator room, while the canister is stuck to him shoot it (Stuns him), then run outside the incinerator room, push incinerator button. Repeat process again with the other canister, and it dies.

I didn't do it quite like that.

I didn't know you could knock the canisters over -- I just shot them when he was close by. So I had Sheva push the button. The doors closed and I lured the monster away until they opened again. Then I ran into the furnace and he followed me, and I saw Sheva pushing the button. I stood in the doorway and then just shot at him, slowing him down and blocking him from getting out.

neoism

So, I was going to buy this and then I watched the gametrailers review,(Trust me I don't trust them or reviews in general, it just the why the put it.) How bad is the AI, will I have to babysit it, and the inventory, I hate how it doesn't pause the game, and if it's full you have to combine something or throw it away to say "use a herb on the ground". I don't like the fact that this game is centered around CO-OP, I like CO-OP, but not when it is the "way" to play the game. RE games are single player damnit! So, should I just buy it, I know I could ask some GAFFER's to play, with me, I just mainly want to play this single player!
And I never really liked mercenaries mode in RE4.

Azrael

Should I be saving the little gemstones or is it safe to sell them for cash? I don't want to sell them and find out a few chapters later I can combine them with other treasures to make them more valuable.

Risette

A Good Citizen
SaitoH said:
Same here. I just left it where it was.
I set it to -9 (just kept going down one and back into the game until it looked good) in the demo because Shanty Town looked really washed out otherwise. I just use the same in the full game but I'd rather have a normal brightness pattern to make sure it looks right.

mikew3st

So I was playing somewhere in chapter 4 and after leaving the inventory screen and loading the game my P8 had infinite ammo, so did I meet some requirement or is this just a glitch?

It's my first play through on normal btw

The premium theme that's free with the elite bundle is very nice. It says it's exclusive on the card, can you just buy it off the marketplace though? It's called "Kijuju Theme (premium)".

{Mike}

Banned
WTF

That majini with the chainsaw GETS BACK UP AGAIN when you kill it and is berserk on veteran difficulty?! ROFL. Also, that level is a complete bitch with A.I. Sheva..oh god, I'm still trying to complete it

This game is probably the biggest dispointment of my personal gaming history. I don't know how someone here can say that this piece of shit is better than RE4. No wonder Mikami said he won't play it.

Capcom almost screwed and/or simplyfied every single aspect of RE4. It's like the dumb version of RE4.

FU Capcom. Come back Mikami!! ;-(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
{Mike} said:
WTF

That majini with the chainsaw GETS BACK UP AGAIN when you kill it and is berserk on veteran difficulty?! ROFL. Also, that level is a complete bitch with A.I. Sheva..oh god, I'm still trying to complete it

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Amir0x

Banned
After playing on VETERAN, it is confirmed: game is INSANELY INCREDIBLE.

10/10 confirmed for me, jesus christ. One of the best co-op experiences I have ever had. Fuck I think I love this game more than RE4 :lol

VaLiancY

Awesome game. Just finished it. AI gave me a little problems but nothing game breaking or big time aggravating.

I yelled at my tv when you fight Jill. "HOLD THAT BITCH DOWN"

Time to get secret weapons now.

Majora

Up to chapter 4 now and my opinion is still the same. A solid, fun game but absolutely nowhere near as inventive, varied or atmospheric as 4. So even though it's a good game I can't help but be disappointed. It's also missing the funny, crazy edge 4 had with it's ridiculous plot and characters. The plot and characters in 5 are nowhere near as interesting. It so desperately wants to be as good as 4, right down to downright copying loads of setpieces but it just doesn't match up.

The positive, like I said though, is that it's still a fun 8/10 kind of game. Just not the omg 10 I think we all somehow hoped could be repeated.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
so um, about a trophy:

I just saved Jill, with CPU ai, arent you supposed to get the masters of removal trophy for that?
I didnt get it :(

{Mike}

Banned
OMG that
bikes!!
QTE was both awesome and ackward at the same time

What I don't like is how, so far, the game has ZERO imagination - everything seems recycled not only from RE4 but also Outbreak.

Here's my stats on Veteran with Sheva AI for chapter 2-1

Precision - 60,6%
Killed monsters - 90
Death - 16x (lol)
Time - 1'30'29 (rofl)
Rank - B (WTF, B for dying so much?) 1000 pts

:lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
TheExorzist said:
This game is probably the biggest dispointment of my personal gaming history. I don't know how someone here can say that this piece of shit is better than RE4. No wonder Mikami said he won't play it.

Capcom almost screwed and/or simplyfied every single aspect of RE4. It's like the dumb version of RE4.

It really is. It's like they made Resident Evil: The Ride at Universal Studios. This will be getting traded as soon as I'm done with it. Huge letdown.

BeeDog

Chiggs said:
It really is. It's like they made Resident Evil: The Ride at Universal Studios. This will be getting traded as soon as I'm done with it. Huge letdown.

I've gotten to chapter 5-3 now, and I do agree in a certain way (but I still find the game to be good, a semi-solid 8/10 perhaps). Until now, the game feels disjointed; it's like every setpiece exists in its own world; you arrive to an area, kill stuff, perhaps find an item and keep on going with some cutscene or hallway to fill in the gap. I never get the sense of exploration or making any factual progress; in this sense, Resident Evil 4 rapes 5. Also, all the setpieces thus far I find worse than the ones in 4.

But still, it's a fun game despite my complaints above, and I bet when I try out the online co-op I'll like it even more. Also, if my previous question gets answered in the way that I hope, then I commend Capcom for truly having a great design philosophy with their New Game+ stuff (and the potential of achieving trophies).

Loxley

I'm about 3/4's of the way through RE5 at the moment, and I have to say the biggest surprise about the game so far to me actually has nothing to do with the game itself, but some of the overzealous negative reactions some of you are having.

THIS ISN'T THE SINGLE GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED BY HUMAN HANDS?!? FUCK OFF CAPCOM. MIKAMI WOULD BE ROLLING OVER IN HIS GRAVE IF HE WERE DEAD.

I honest-to-god have no idea why some people's expectations for RE5 became so fucking sky-high. I have to say that thus far, the game is exactly what I expected and have been expecting since I saw he first bits of gameplay. It's a really fun game that ties up a lot of loose ends.

I have no problem with people not liking the game, not at all. But some of you seriously need to take the fork out of your asses and chill out.

neoism

FUCK WALMART IN THE ASS! I wanted this tonight :(( O'well good thing I have the weekend off, I've basically convinced myself to buy it!
I did the same thing with RE4, I was jobless, and just had enough money to get it! First RE game I bought, I played 1 and 2, but they were borrowed! Best month of jobless boredom I ever had!

cvxfreak

Loxley said:
I'm about 3/4's of the way through RE5 at the moment, and I have to say the biggest surprise about the game so far to me actually has nothing to do with the game itself, but some of the overzealous negative reactions some of you are having.

THIS ISN'T THE SINGLE GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED BY HUMAN HANDS?!? FUCK OFF CAPCOM. MIKAMI WOULD BE ROLLING OVER IN HIS GRAVE IF HE WERE DEAD LIKE HE PROMISED HE WOULD BE IF HE ACTUALLY CUT HIS HEAD OFF.

I honest-to-god have no idea why some people's expectations for RE5 became so fucking sky-high. I have to say that thus far, game is exactly what I expected and have been expecting since I saw he first bits of gameplay. It's a really fun game that ties up a lot of loose ends.

I have no problem with people not liking the game, not at all. But some of you seriously need to take the fork out of your asses and chill out.

Fixed.

This game is awesome I'm on chapter 4-1 and I haven't had a break. It's impossible to put down. Almost every damn setepiece has been entertaining. Chris' huge sweaty arms sure look gross in this underground lighting though.

TEH-CJ

Banned
TheExorzist said:

FU Capcom. Come back Mikami!! ;-(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game is incredible so far, I got to 4-2 in pretty much a single play. I did up until 2-3 with the AI then jumped to co-op with a friend(on Veteran from the start) and have been having a blast. I really like Veteran difficulty in general, I'm low on ammo and health a lot.

The stun rod is such an awesome weapon, I love killing chickens with it. :lol

ThirstyFly said:
Yeah, I wasn't expecting it. I took
the key off his corpse, and he got back up and ran around swinging the chainsaw non-stop and laughing like a freak.

I'm playing on Normal, what are you on?

Oh yeah that scared the hell out of me, I didn't notice
he got back up, so he got me from behind in his mad rage. Made me have to redo that whole part, and he doesn't actually drop anything after he actually dies. It's weird though, because not every chainsaw guy does that, though it does make me have to listen for their chainsaw revving when they first fall down.

MechaX

{Mike} said:
Wow, how ridiculous and cheap are the
dogs+coyotes
??? :lol

I'm playing on veteran.
Long story short, dog latches onto Chris' face and takes his health from full all the way to near-dying levels.
Personally, it seriously made me consider turning the difficulty down a notch. But then again, Veteran mode is giving me more of a challenge than anything in RE4: Pro, SW, AA, Mercs, anything.

Also, I'm having a blast. I pretty much expected RE 4.5, and I'm pleasantly surprised. And this is even before getting a hold of an actual, human team mate. I just find it hilarious how people had their hype for this game up to the fucking stratosphere, like it was destined to blow RE4's ratings out of the water. I tried to replay RE4 yesterday and.. well, nostalgia goggles can only be effective for so long. But that was just my experience.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MechaX said:
I'm playing on veteran.
Long story short, dog latches onto Chris' face and takes his health from full all the way to near-dying levels.
Personally, it seriously made me consider turning the difficulty down a notch. But then again, Veteran mode is giving me more of a challenge than anything in RE4: Pro, SW, AA, Mercs, anything.

My first experience with that was also painful,
I had mid-low health already, so the dog just leaped on me and just completely devoured my head off before Sheva could even help.

I also seriously love the stat tracking of how many times you've died and by what.

Oh man, I just spent all my money on a melee vest not knowing it took a precious inventory slot to use. I thought it would be like RE4's vest. What a waste of money :(

Loxley said:

THIS ISN'T THE SINGLE GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED BY HUMAN HANDS?!? FUCK OFF CAPCOM. MIKAMI WOULD BE ROLLING OVER IN HIS GRAVE IF HE WERE DEAD.

I honest-to-god have no idea why some people's expectations for RE5 became so fucking sky-high. I have to say that thus far, the game is exactly what I expected and have been expecting since I saw he first bits of gameplay. It's a really fun game that ties up a lot of loose ends.

I think you don't get "our" point. If you loved RE4 you can have MANY issues with RE5.

Pick the whole upgrade system for instance. It was one of the best aspects in RE4. In fact it was so good designed that, if you collected every gold and combined every treasure, you could have all the weapons on top level at the end of that game. This really made you rethink your collecting every time you played the game again. In RE5 on the contruatry.... Well, it's boring. Boring, boring, boring. No merchant, you can't combine the treasures any more, the treasures aren't even really hidden any more and so on, and so on.
And on top of that, you have WAY to much weapons WAY to fast - and you can buy many things pretty fast. This really takes away my motivation to collect anything, because I know I won't be able to upgrade everything I want in one playthrough anyway. I mean, I'm now in chapter 5 and haven't even leveled up pistol and shotgun to the top.... I didn't touch any of Shevas weapons so far. Wouldn't make a bloody sense anyway because she is way to dumb to use them properly.....
That said, I'd also say that the Coop makes upgrading the weapons useless from the start. You simply miss the impression to gain something with an upgrade (like in RE4) because there is always this bitch helping you out...

And this is only one of a dozend big complains I have about this game.

Pojo

Banned
MechaX said:
Also, I'm having a blast. I pretty much expected RE 4.5, and I'm pleasantly surprised
Pleasantly surprised by RE5? That's like being pleasantly surprised by the next Mario or Zelda game.

I was pleasantly surprised to reaffirm my suspicion that people can be idiotic sheep. Some RE fans did the same thing with RE4, only now the reviewers caught wind of the complaints before they had time to formulate an unbiased opinion, hence some of the scores.

MrDaravon

copybeaver said:
I'm sort confused how all the inventory and money works. So right now I'm playing a single player game (since my friends are gonna be on later). I plan to join as Sheva on their games... do I have like a unified set of money/inventory? So my money/inventory will follow me wherever I go?

Or.. what?

I'm wondering this too.

tass0

Banned
Chapter 6-2 atm and I must say, this game is very addicting and man, that fight with
Jill and Wesker
, and then
Jill by herself
is awesome, the only part of the OST I like.

george_us

The facial animation is awful in this game. Come on Capcom, I know you can do better than this. Also, is there no motion blur in the PS3 version?

Pojo

Banned
george_us said:
The facial animation is awful in this game. Come on Capcom, I know you can do better than this. Also, is there no motion blur in the PS3 version?
*insert witty comment here*

From the moment the game was announced to the first time I booted it up today, I knew that Capcom would surely never be able to match the experience that was RE4. Maybe that's why I'm enjoying RE5 so damn much. It reminds me a lot of how I felt about RE3. That game certainly wasn't as good as RE2 (some could argue otherwise), but it still was a fun and highly polished follow-up to that masterpiece. Much can be said similar in regards to RE5.

Just got through Chapter 1 and some of Chapter 2 on Co-Op Veteran with a friend. The game is great, I'm really pleased with the difficulty level. Scarce ammo, hard fights, it's really a good fun challenge and we're still so early in.

How does it work going back and forth between single player and co-op. Tonight I joined his game, now if I go to single player will I have to start over or can I continue from the last section we played... if so, say I get a chapter or two further, then backtrack again tomorrow to play more co-op in his game, would that effect my solo game?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Chiggs said:
I have died once in this game.

I'm trying this tomorrow. I hope it changes my opinion.

Veteran is brutal. One hit from a normal enemy drops you from full to less than half health, AND they give u less ammo. I would assume that the demo was normal mode and the difference is quite clear. It shifted from me trying to kill everything to me being nervous as hell and running for my life because I only have one clip left and there's 10 african assholes trying to eat me.

Pein

Banned
after I finish this in single player i really wanna run through this in co-op on veteran, I hope I can find someone decent to play with.

mattso

Pein said:
after I finish this in single player i really wanna run through this in co-op on veteran, I hope I can find someone decent to play with.
I'm sure I'll be going through this on veteran again many times this week to get more and more gold to upgrade. I'll definitely be up for some online co-op.

Working on a pro run through with a buddy at school that is now on hold with spring break.

_tetsuo_ said:
Veteran is brutal. One hit from a normal enemy drops you from full to less than half health, AND they give u less ammo. I would assume that the demo was normal mode and the difference is quite clear. It shifted from me trying to kill everything to me being nervous as hell and running for my life because I only have one clip left and there's 10 african assholes trying to eat me.

getting the melee/bulletproof vests significantly decrease enemy damage.

In pro a melee hit even while wearing the vest takes out pretty much your entire health.

Davey Cakes

Loxley said:

That's fine and dandy, but, what do you have to say to those who are licking the game's ass? Are they over-enjoying it? Or, is there something about them loving the game to death that's more legitimate than someone not loving it to death?

The people who are enjoying the game less are merely saying so. The people who are enjoying it extensively are criticizing the less-likers for liking the game less. Why? Is it so impossible for RE5 not to be an outstanding game? Is every opinion that the game is not a 9/10 or 10/10 illegitimate?

Top Bottom