• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

cryptic said:
The water in the ps3 version is some of the worst I've ever seen. It's just so bland looking an you can't see into it at all, like melted metal.

It looks good to me in motion. The surfaces moves and reacts to the boat etc.

Been tracking and fully informed about the game, but wasn't likely to go with the initial $60 asking price, even if said game is a new Resident Evil.

But the TrU $20 gift card deal took care of that. Got the game for Xbox 360 during lunch and using the card towards a birthday gift for my nephew this afternoon that I was already planning on buying there.

Dahbomb

Duck Amuck said:
Should i get the Dragunov svd? Is that a good upgrade over the past rifle?
Yes because you can upgrade it to be semi-automatic. That property is really useful for obvious reason and well worth the price.

I know that there will be new weapons available and what not to get later on so I'm the type of player who will constantly avoid upgrading because I'm afraid I'm upgrading bumass Pistol A only to get badass pistol B later. I know there are improved rifles and machine guns later in the game, but I don't remember seeing screens of new pistols.

So...what should I upgrade? I've only bought melee vest at this point in the game. When can I expect to find better shotguns/ak47's and all that?
You can upgrade guns that you already have especially the default pistol as it has the ability to perform Critical hits that is very useful and is not seen in any other pistol. The default Shotgun that you are carrying is also probably the best except the last one which you will probably not get until the last walkthrough. The 2nd sniper, the one which is slightly modern looking is the better sniper rifle because it can be upgraded to semi-automatic.

Bottom line is that your default guns when upgraded are extremely reliable. And Stun Rod is a MUST in this game if you are playing Veteran for the first time. It really saves your ammo and rapes those fat zombies.

Dark FaZe said:
GOT A QUESTION ABOUT UPGRADES !!! Someone help!!!

I know that there will be new weapons available and what not to get later on so I'm the type of player who will constantly avoid upgrading because I'm afraid I'm upgrading bumass Pistol A only to get badass pistol B later. I know there are improved rifles and machine guns later in the game, but I don't remember seeing screens of new pistols.

So...what should I upgrade? I've only bought melee vest at this point in the game. When can I expect to find better shotguns/ak47's and all that?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/929198/55939

All the weapons have trade offs you really can't go wrong with picking any one of them.

Like the 3 pistols. The starting one the M92F has the lowest dmg (250max) but has the biggest clip at 100 rounds. The second one you get is medium dmg but has piercing ability. The last one you get, the SIG, has the most damage but the clip is only 16 rounds even when fully upgraded. If you are playing through it the first time the SIG is a pretty good primary weapon for Sheva though.

The starting shotgun is more than good enough to get through the whole game on Veteran. The M3 is more powerful on paper, but I like the starting one (Ithica) quite a bit. The last shotgun is the lowest damage but has the biggest clip.

The assault rifles and SMGs are all useless. Don't even bother unless you are out of ammo on your other weapons. They are weak, use lots of ammo, and lower your accuracy rating if you care about rankings.

The sniper rifles are all decent enough. And the first sniper rifle is quite good and has the highest damage potential. But the other 2 are automatic rifles so they have their advantages.

All magnums have way more power than you will need on Normal or Veteran so you can't really go wrong. And ammo is so rare so its not like you will be using them very much anyway.

cryptic said:
The water in the ps3 version is some of the worst I've ever seen. It's just so bland looking an you can't see into it at all, like melted metal.

Go jump in a swamp and tell me how well you see into the water. You're lucky to get a half inch of visibility.

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess I'll go with standard shotgun and then maybe buy the second sniper rifle on the cheap since my partner picked it up.

I'm still torn on the pistol. What would you guys recommend? I preferred the Red 9 in RE4. I'd like to wait for a stronger pistol, but I don't want to wait until the last couple of chapters to start upgrading. I'm currently on chapter 2.

xfactor

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
GOT A QUESTION ABOUT UPGRADES !!! Someone help!!!

You can only find the weakest weapon of each type within the game (if I am not wrong). The new, superior weapons will have to be purchased through the menu. Its personal preference but I think its better to upgrade the weak weapons you find in the game, as you save money from purchasing a new weapon, but maxing those weak weapons are one of the criteria to unlock the secret weapons for purchase.

Dahbomb

Dark FaZe said:
I'm still torn on the pistol. What would you guys recommend? I preferred the Red 9 in RE4. I'd like to wait for a stronger pistol, but I don't want to wait until the last couple of chapters to start upgrading. I'm currently on chapter 2.
My recommendation is to fully upgrade the pistol you already have. You aren't going to find a better pistol in the campaign unless you buy one and if you do it will be pretty weak compared to your souped up default pistol. If you are around Chapter 3 then the time to buy a new pistol has passed, stick with your starting one and start upgrading ASAP!

Awesome RE5 co-op moment: We were playing the area in Chapter 3 where you are in this oil refinery type area and you have to extinguish the flames to get through. You have to split up and there is this gate that can only be opened from one side. Right at that moment that we extinguish the flame, the new chain saw guy jumps in. At that moment I had a hand gun, shotgun and rifle. Rifle and shotgun had very few bullets, handgun is weak against him plus only one grenade. In our position I had to directly engage him alone while my partner was perched up far away all safe and stuff but he was busy engaging the regular enemies.

Due to my limited ammo I had to keep running around like a crazy guy and get quick shots off on him to reduce his health. Eventually my ammo for handgun started running low and I pulled out the Shotgun. I waited for his attacked, stepped back and unloaded. Did this a few times and then once I made a mistake where I didn't step back for enough and was in range while I was still recovering from the shot gun blast. By this time I had reduced his health to fairly low that's why I had risked the shot. As the chain saw came crashing down my death was imminent.... I saw a laser sight trained on the chain saw guy and heard one handgun fire on him.... HE DIED!!!! My partner saved me with a stray bullet. :lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Fixed2BeBroken said:
Dude, I just got my 360 re5 elite bundle as well....I hate the red color console, but the red color controller seems much nicer than normal 360 controllers for some reason.

Now, I forgot, but how do I ensure that this is a jasper model? anyone know?

It was confirmed by Eurogamer a while back that the RE5 360s were Jaspers. My 360's power supply outputs 150w so it's definitely a Jasper.

Dark FaZe said:
Thanks for the info guys.

I guess I'll go with standard shotgun and then maybe buy the second sniper rifle on the cheap since my partner picked it up.

If you want to unlock all the weapons you have to fully upgrade the starting pistol anyway. So might as well do that.

The 3rd pistol you get in chp5 is nearly twice as powerful though in raw damage.

The P8 has the piercing on it. Which is very useful in certain situations.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Sweet, finally picked up my collectors for the 360!! I'm the last one right!!!???

Oh man tonight is gonna be so awesome. I'm gonna play RE 5, get a niuce buzz going, watch the new Battlestar Gallactica, play more RE 5, maybe watch Let the Right One In.

oh boy!!!

next week is gonna suck though as i head back to reality and my job hunt.

:(

Alright alright you guys have convinced me. Guess I'll put all my money into default pistol and shotgun. The 3rd pistol sounds great but I don't want to wait until chapter 5 to upgrade.

cryptic

Bloodworth said:
Go jump in a swamp and tell me how well you see into the water. You're lucky to get a half inch of visibility.

If it's swamp water then why doesn't it look like most swamp water? Also, there are some jewels hidden in the water that make me think visibility at the bottom should be better and probably is in the other version. Biggest complaint though, is the complete lack of reflection, that's what I was talking about earlier when I said the water was bland.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dark FaZe said:
Alright alright you guys have convinced me. Guess I'll put all my money into default pistol and shotgun. The 3rd pistol sounds great but I don't want to wait until chapter 5 to upgrade.

the third pistol is GREAT for new game+ , when maxed out its power can go up to 400+ points damage per bullet. That's pretty damn strong for a handgun.

Synless

What's the reasoning behind not letting me upgrade my weapons any further even though there is clearly room for improvement and I have money to do it?

Amir0x

Banned
Game is so fuck amazing, goddamn I wish I could be playing it right now... but things today.

And tomorrow St. Patrick's day parade in Scranton.

If any GAFer wants to settle in and really plow through RE5 on professional Saturday Night around 5:00pm(EST) til whenever, give me a PM on Xbox Live @ Amitr0n or on GAF itself.

Quick question:

When you get the inventory/shop screen at the end of a chapter, how does the bottom inventory box work? I can't seem to move anything from Chris or Sheva's inventory down there. Does stuff you buy go in there and that's it? I can't save my picked up grenades for a rainy day?

Synless said:
What's the reasoning behind not letting me upgrade my weapons any further even though there is clearly room for improvement and I have money to do it?

Pretty sure the game only lets you upgrade so far before reaching certain chapters. Keeping you from ugrading your stuff early the first time through. I'm gonna go with that answer lol.

ThirstyFly said:
Quick question:

When you get the inventory/shop screen at the end of a chapter, how does the bottom inventory box work? I can't seem to move anything from Chris or Sheva's inventory down there. Does stuff you buy go in there and that's it? I can't save my picked up grenades for a rainy day?

Click on a item in your inventory and hit remove. That will put it in the bigger inventory box for you. So yes you can save your grenades for a rainy day! :D

Just got back with the Red elite bundle. This thing is nice. I like the shade of red on it, very attractive. I'm pissed though cause I already own HD remix, but I want the RE5 premium theme. The problem is the code is for both, and you can't "gift' games over XBL as far as I know...

Definitely a jasper, 12 volt is 1amp and power connector is jasper. Manufacture date of 1-16-09.

It's going to be a long 3 hours till I can get home to play...=(

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Click on a item in your inventory and hit remove. That will put it in the bigger inventory box for you. So yes you can save your grenades for a rainy day! :D

Ah, the one thing I didn't try. Thank you sir!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Just got back with the Red elite bundle. This thing is nice. I like the shade of red on it, very attractive. I'm pissed though cause I already own HD remix, but I want the RE5 premium theme. The problem is the code is for both, and you can't "gift' games over XBL as far as I know...

Uh...I opened up the SFIIHD/Theme card, and there were two seperate codes. should be right above/below each other.

And yeah, definitely Jasper.

BeeDog

For the "upgrade all weapons to their fullest" trophy, I guess you only have to upgrade one 'copy' of each weapon, right? So let's say Chris' first pistol is fully upgraded; I won't have to upgrade Sheva's gun as well?

demigod

Synless said:

It's probably like RE4 where you cannot upgrade until a certain chapter.

Just got the CE in the mail, but I haven't opened it yet, is the stuff inside supposed to be rattling around? Doesn't sound like they packaged it as well as the SFIV CE.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So...just to be clear about the whole treasure issue...

I've found some [square] and [pear] cut gems....they don't go into anything, correct?

Amir0x

Banned
rainking187 said:
Just got the CE in the mail, but I haven't opened it yet, is the stuff inside supposed to be rattling around? Doesn't sound like they packaged it as well as the SFIV CE.

Yes the stuff inside is crap you find in quarter machines, except the Tricell bag which is merely crap you'd find in a horrible thrift store for a buck fifty.

Dyno

In RE4 I did a fair bit of agonizing over when to buy a weapon and what weapon to buy. Space of course was a factor, there was no point in holding on to two handguns.

But in this game you can store lots of stuff so I look forward to fully upgrading every weapon there is.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lol@ people complaining about sheva's AI being bad. Play the game with someone else like it was fucking designed from the ground up for. Jesus.

Metroidvania said:
So...just to be clear about the whole treasure issue...

I've found some [square] and [pear] cut gems....they don't go into anything, correct?
INo they don't. You can't combine any treasures. Pretty damn lame.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm a few hours in now, in the mines. The game's pretty cool and I like the constant variation of scenery, but there are definitely some annoyances:

- The no walk while aiming feels even more annoying than in the demo.
- I think you find too much shit laying around, each with just a few bullets, 100 pts gold and etc.
- Is it just me or does Chris look really stupid?

Just started playing the 360 version. Dear God, the screen tearing is horrendous! The cutscene was awful and the game itself isn't much better. This is at upscaled 1080p vis HDMI. A V-sync option should have been added. Why is it the PS3 version has V-sync on but the 360 doesn't? Is screen tearing really preferable to a slight drop in frame rate?

Kolgar

Aquanox said:
Gametrailers Ultimate Comparison:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46683.html?type=flv

I think this settles it down.

Contrast, texture detail, maybe some aliasing differences, but definitely some smoke and lighting effects missing from the Triple version (I especially noticed this when shooting the big monster and the lens flare in the train scene).

These comparisons are endlessly annoying and fascinating at the same time. :lol

I'm still on the fence about purchasing this game. I loved RE4. The demo of RE5 turned me off. No, it enraged me. But there's a part of me that thinks I might still like it once I get my RE4 chops back.

I don't know.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Slackbladder said:
Just started playing the 360 version. Dear God, the screen tearing is horrendous! The cutscene was awful and the game itself isn't much better. This is at upscaled 1080p vis HDMI. A V-sync option should have been added. Why is it the PS3 version has V-sync on but the 360 doesn't? Is screen tearing really preferable to a slight drop in frame rate?

play it on 720p. Tearing isnt an issue at that resolution.

Top Bottom