• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
{Mike} said:
OMG that
bikes!!
QTE was both awesome and ackward at the same time

What I don't like is how, so far, the game has ZERO imagination - everything seems recycled not only from RE4 but also Outbreak.

Here's my stats on Veteran with Sheva AI for chapter 2-1

Precision - 60,6%
Killed monsters - 90
Death - 16x (lol)
Time - 1'30'29 (rofl)
Rank - B (WTF, B for dying so much?) 1000 pts

:lol

Is veteran really that much of a step up? I'm playing on Normal, up to 2-1 and haven't died once. Maybe its the beginning of the game that counts too.

VaLiancY

tass0 said:
Chapter 6-2 atm and I must say, this game is very addicting and man, that fight with
Jill and Wesker
, and then
Jill by herself
is awesome, the only part of the OST I like.

The last two fights against Wesker at the end
have some great music.

Pein

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Is veteran really that much of a step up? I'm playing on Normal, up to 2-1 and haven't died once. Maybe its the beginning of the game that counts too.
yes it really is that much of a step up.

oh yeah this game has some really good cut scenes

fernoca

Been a fan of the series since day one with the Resident Evil game in the large case and the 'The Punisher'-like Chris in the cover..

And..HOLY ****!! (FUCK!) .. :p
Awesome game so far...incredible visuals, great sound/music..each chapter looks and feels different than the previous one (starting 3-1 right now)...tons of extras..darn..and that's single player only for now.; plus to top it all constant teases to the overall Resident Evil storyline, and even the loading screens reminding you what happened in the previous years (only game I wish loading screens were longer.. :p )

Overall exceeded my expectations, thought after the demo I was going to find the game boring and play the first chapter and then go to sleep since I've only slept like 4 hours between yesterday and today (thanks to working at 5AM...).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for dieing repeatedly on that one enemy during 6-3 Sectus. :lol

Otherwise it was a great run through. I hope you weren't lagging too bad. ;)

Chapters 5 and 6 basically need a human partner in my opinion. The gameplay changes up pretty drastically during certain parts of those chapters, and having to deal with the AI, or rather, the lack of assistance and logical human thought from the AI, makes the whole experience, while still fun, completely different from the amazing experience it is when working together with someone else.

Not quite finished yet. I think I'll have to replay chapter 6, as I accidentally skipped the cutscene just before what I assume is the final encounter, unless someone can link me to it on Youtube or something (which would be greatly appreciated).

Anyway, I'm loving the game. It's hard for me to compare it to RE4, because honestly the experience I'm having with it feels completely different from the one I had with RE4.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheExorzist said:
This game is probably the biggest dispointment of my personal gaming history. I don't know how someone here can say that this piece of shit is better than RE4. No wonder Mikami said he won't play it.

Capcom almost screwed and/or simplyfied every single aspect of RE4. It's like the dumb version of RE4.

FU Capcom. Come back Mikami!! ;-(
Question: are you playing single player or co-op?

Ganondorfo

VaLiancY said:
The last two fights against Wesker at the end
have some great music.

The music against jill alone was much better and more dramatic

Some of the boss battles look awesome in HD

These were the boss battles that amazed me with the graphics.

irving fight, you are middle in the sea fighting against a big water thing and it's becoming dark

that big spider thing in the room with all the tubes

The rejected uruboro, when you are using your flamethrower on him, damn best fire graphics ever

Blame!

just started a; few hours ago and am loving it.

i haven't played RE4 in a long time but this is such a nice return.

the graphics? also incredible. i feel bad for some of you who can't seem to enjoy it.

gdt

A couple (2?) hours in, and I'm loving it.

Lost a alot of money before I figured out upgrading though. I bought a shit load of pistols thinking I was upgrading :lol .

Edit: I had an upgraded pistol in my inventory, and a normal one on Chris. Apparently Chris cant carry two pistols, so cant I just exchange one for the other? I had to sell the normal one to equip Chris with the upgraded one...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
gdt5016 said:
A couple (2?) hours in, and I'm loving it.

Lost a alot of money before I figured out upgrading though. I bought a shit load of pistols thinking I was upgrading :lol .
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that did that. I felt so stupid when I saw I had 4 extra pistols sitting in my inventory. :lol

U K Narayan said:
I know. It's dumb.

I can't combine stuff. I can't move stuff. Dumb.

On PS3 (same controls on Xbox):
Triangle - Open Inventory
X - Open item menu
Square - Move item

You can equip, give, or combine from the item menu. All in-game. The only think you can't do while playing (you have to actually be at the store) is move items from your reserve inventory, upgrade weapons, or buy/sell stuff.

fernoca said:
You can..but not in the game per se but before each chapter or in the inventory management menu in the..ehr..menu.

Of course you can combine stuff, right in your quick inventory window, as per above!

Just got to 2-2. Enjoying it but I can understand those that disapprove of the action-heavy gameplay. Controls aren't an issue for me. The game doesn't play like you need to be able to run and shoot, just like RE4. It has good atmosphere, but I wish there were more quiet, exploratory moments. Sound is amazing though, great use of surround/5.1 and trademark ambient RE music. Running @ 720p over HDMI I have seen no tearing, graphics are outstanding, lighting, character models, etc.

Playing on normal and it seems as easy or easier than RE4 on default. Only played single so far. Sheva hasn't been a problem other than she uses to much ammo, I think. Must just be the old survival/conserve RE instincts, lol. Can't wait to try out co-op and check out the upgrades. So far just been dumping $$$ into upgrading my handgun.

fernoca

Houston3000 said:
On PS3 (same controls on Xbox):
Triangle - Open Inventory
X - Open item menu
Square - Move item

You can equip, give, or combine from the item menu. All in-game.
I think he' s talking about doing all that between Chris and Sheva (i.e.Sheva has a green herb, Chris has a red herb choose combine and Chris ends with the Mixed Herd)..instead you have to send (or request) the item to (or from) Sheva; to combine them.

Though you can do it in the Management item screen..thing.

Zoc

I've being playing through RE0, which has its won partner system. It works really well, and one of the best features is that you can switch between the two characters at any time. You can even control both characters at the same time, using the two sticks.

Is there a reason you can't switch between the characters in RE5 when playing alone? Is there some point in the game where this would break something?

I got the last copy at blockbuster just now (rented PS3 version). The guy infront of me was asking for a copy also but I had called earlier to reserve mine ;) I felt bad when they told him they were sold out so I waited for him to leave the store before I asked the lady for mine . :D

gdt

Ok, I'm on chapter 2-something (I think), it's right after when you first hit the beach/port area (the first time you're able to walk in the water). I just picked up the port key (I had to shoot it down off of a skeleton). There is a treasure box inside of a little square surrounded by just wooden stands (pretty much in front of where I have to use the key). I walk all around it and cant jump over any of it. What do I do to get that treasure?

Blueblur1

I'm @ 1-3 and I turned it off. I'm disappointed so far as its very ho-hum. I'm also very very very tired from a busy day so maybe that's a factor.

Amir0x

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Ok, I'm on chapter 2-something (I think), it's right after when you first hit the beach/port area (the first time you're able to walk in the water). I just picked up the port key (I had to shoot it down off of a skeleton). There is a treasure box inside of a little square surrounded by just wooden stands (pretty much in front of where I have to use the key). I walk all around it and cant jump over any of it. What do I do to get that treasure?

The stand is breakable

Ryn

Loxley said:
I honest-to-god have no idea why some people's expectations for RE5 became so fucking sky-high.

Depends on who you talk to. I hear a lot of "Not gonna be as good as RE4 because Mikami didn't work on it" which annoys me. Just because he didn't work on it doesn't automatically deem it subpar, but whatever.

I'm on 6-2 now and I'm still trying to decide which RE is better than the other. It's difficult. And I'm really enjoying RE5 at the moment. Though normal mode is seeming a bit too easy for me. Shoulda gone with Veteran.

Only complaint I have so far is the change of the save feature and all the checkpoints now. It's now just too easy to bulk up on first aids and stock up ammo, etc, if you're stuck in a certain section or whatnot. no choice as to where you can save/when blah blah blah. All you have to do is die, and you're back in the ready screen and can buy weapons and whatever whenever.

The whole inventory/item managing seems to be a bit of a catastrophe every now and then too. Or maybe I just suck at adjusting.

Amir0x

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Thank you! I just did the same.

Interesting fact: That is probably the hardest "puzzle" in the game - and it's not even a puzzle! mmmm pure action Resident Evil is the greatest thing ever :D

Picked it up earlier, absolutely love it so far. The earlier post is right; the game is based around the controls, just like RE 4. You can't run and gun but the game doesn't put you in a position where you need to.

I think the inventory system is an improvement, with the gigantic suitcase you can access between levels. Upgrade system is simpler.

Oh, and if you have a red and green herb in Sheva's inventory, she'll combine them automatically. Try it.

RE 4 was a 10... but so far this is a 10 for different reasons. It's lacking in some areas, improved in others. Overall a great experience. Totally lived up to my expectations.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Okay, so why does anyone want to use Las Plagas for super-soldiers? As far as I can tell, the enemies I'm battling, at least the drones, can't drive and can't shoot.

neoism

So, guys does anyone remember what difficulty the demo was on, just downloaded it again because I couldn't buy it tonight! The Chainsaw guy took a lot of bullets! :0

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Just beat it. Chapters 5 and 6 are the best parts of the game by far. Will replay on Veteran after I unlock some cool sh*t in mercenaries mode. BTW concerning merc characters
RE4 Wesker >> RE5 Wesker in this mode. His sprint move is fairly hard to control and doesn't do the same damage that his palm smash did in RE4. He also does this uppercut move which sent Chris flying up in the air during the games cut scene but doesn't have the same affect in merc mode. Jill is nice.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Finished the game. Took me 7:04 hours with my RE expert pal. I don't think I loved it as much as RE4 but it had it's moments. It's certainly amongst the upper echelon of the RE series. I just really hated Chapter 4 and the last boss. Really, really bad design right there. But I was expecting ass and I got a pretty damn good game.

An early candidate for GOTY in my eyes. Two questions.

1) Where the fuck is Mercenaries. It says I unlocked it.
2) It said I unlock Sheva in single player...Where?

Schwabby

Neo Member
I think some of you guys just have to play it co-op. The single player experience lands in some strange place between frustrating and boring, but playing it with a friend is incredible.

It's basically RE4 with better graphics and co-op, which is a dream come true if you ask me.

vilmer_

Just got to 3.2, and I'm enjoying it so far. The visuals are absolutely fantastic, one of the top 3 of the gen in this regard without a doubt. I haven't noticed any tearing of major fps dips at all, even in some hectic areas, well done! On the other hand, it's extremely easy on normal, so I need to get some veteran action going or something. I was also expecting more of that atmospheric creepiness and classic b-movie horror 'vibe' of the earlier games, when even 4 had phases of it. In all honesty, it doesn't feel "Resident Evil-ish", but I guess that's the direction the series is headed. Where the hell are the puzzles? Regardless, the game will undoubtedly be in my top 3 of the year come December :D

Played 6 hours of online co-op, up to 3-2 on Veteran. Very awesome.

The lag with Sheva is annoying as shit though. Especially when you get a clean head shot and the enemy still hits you when he should be stunned. Something really needs to be done about that.

Top Bottom