• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Kai Ozu

Schwabby said:
It's basically RE4 with better graphics and co-op, which is a dream come true if you ask me.
RE4 had amazing level design, this game dose as well for about 70% of it, but it's still no RE4. When you get to the final chapters you will see.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the last boss. It was absolutely fantastic, and I played it in Single Player (on normal). What were the complaints? I just gave Sheva my heavily upgraded rifle, a bit of rifle ammo, and set her to attack, and she did what she was supposed to do easily.

I had such an amazing time with the game, and I played it mainly in single player (with Nem dropping in to lend a hand during 4-1 and Sectus doing the same from 5-3 through most of 6-3). So many amazing moments throughout. I don't even know where to start as far as impressions go, so I'm going to stew on it for a bit.

As good as RE4 from a pure single player perspective? No, definitely not. As a pure fun co-op experience? Most definitely the best co-op game I have ever played.

The game was just a joy to play, I can't really ask for anything more. For anyone not enjoying the game, I highly recommend getting a friend and playing with them, or inviting someone from GAF into your game. JUST DO IT.

My main complaint is that Capcom showing FAR TOO MUCH of the game in trailers.

TheCardPlayer said:
Seriously where the fuck is Mercenaries. I just finished the goddamned game. Let me play fuckers.
Click "Play Game" then choose "The Mercenaries" (it's at the bottom).

Schwabby

Neo Member
Kai Ozu said:
RE4 had amazing level design, this game dose as well for about 70% of it, but it's still no RE4. When you get to the final chapters you will see.

How does the story hold up? I'm still pretty early in the game, but I'm enjoying the cinematic approach the game takes. In my opinion, this game has a more hectic of a narrative than 4, which is drawing me in and making me take an active interest in the plot (tying in characters and story arcs from the previous titles is also a big help). In 4, I felt like the story was just a back drop to the action.

One of my favorite parts of 4 were the crazy enemies, most notably Salazar and the crazy cloak-wearing cult-ish guys. Are there any enemies in that vein in 5?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Rez said:
Click "Play Game" then choose "The Mercenaries" (it's at the bottom).
It's not there. And I just finished the game. I'll try finishing the last chapter again to see if it works.

{Mike}

Banned
Just finished 3-2, awesome setting, INCREDIBLE visuals, seriously wow. It surprised me too, wasn't expecting this, and it got a lot of freedom too, with a simple puzzle. Can't wait to try it out with friends online!

Mamesj

Banned
Christopher said:
Does anyone think that beign "too realistic" kinda kilsl the charm that RE4 had?

realistic? If anything, the layout of the map of this game and frequency of item drops makes it more arcadey. It's like if mercs was panned out into a story mode (with some QTE cutscenes thrown in.)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kai Ozu said:
I'd say that the level design is about on par with RE4, but as I've said a lot already, when playing in co-op mode, and realizing how cleverly laid out everything is with two people playing in mind.

{Mike} said:
Just finished 3-2, awesome setting, INCREDIBLE visuals, seriously wow. It surprised me too, wasn't expecting this, and it got a lot of freedom too, with a simple puzzle. Can't wait to try it out with friends online!
3-2 was one of my favourite chapters. I can't wait to play it with a friends as well.

Hell, I can't think of any area in the game that I didn't actually like.

Schwabby

Neo Member
Rez said:
As a pure fun co-op experience? Most definitely the best co-op game I have ever played.

I gotta agree with you. The game forces you to be extremely involved with your partner. Its chaotic and I love it.

It's right up there with Left 4 Dead and Gears 1 & 2 regarding my favorite co-op experiences as far as I'm concerned.

As soon as I got to the part where
one player has to lure the worm-covered black gooey boss into the furnace room and the other has to pull the switch,
I knew this game would be one of my favorites.

Ryn

I played co-op for the first part of the game, then soloed the rest up til where I'm now chillin at (6-2)....awesome as I said, but I know I would be having a hell of a lot more fun if I played through this game co-op. Agh.

Dahbomb

I honestly feel sorry for the people who are unable to enjoy RE5 in co-op glory.

And as far as the inventory/upgrade system is concerned, I see no problem with it other than the inherently game breaking bull shit that is the item duplication which can easily be avoided if you want to.

You can easily manage Sheva's inventory, give her the weapons that you want or exchange/give/request items during the game and when you are in the Organize inventory section. At no point in the game that this system hinder my game play experience, she basically works like an extra backpack as long as you restrict her to one powerful weapon, especially the Rifle which doesn't make her run through the ammo that fast.

Upgrading is also fine. It takes longer to upgrade weapons and because of the huge reduction in sale value it gives you incentive to stick with your original weapons rather than selling your old ones and buying new ones. Farming is obviously easier this time around but once people get to Pro mode they will realize why they made it thus. Even the most super powered weapon will make Pro mode fucking hard because of how powerful the enemies are so you better the hell be fully prepared or else you will get raped.

Diuretic

"Your reputation proceeds you, Mr. Redfield."

My enjoyment of the cutscenes is inversely proportional to the quality of the dialogue. It's off to a good start so far!

Am I missing something on how to setup a game with someone I know in the PS3 version? Did they really gimp letting you join someone on your friends list?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Marty Chinn said:
Am I missing something on how to setup a game with someone I know in the PS3 version? Did they really gimp letting you join someone on your friends list?
When you (or a friend) start the game, you have to set it to either open or invite only.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished 4-1.
That cave area was jaw dropping. It felt like something out of Uncharted. Seeing as Uncharted and RE4 are my most replayed games ever, I was really pumped over that chapter.
The game has been excellent so far and just keeps getting better. It's an incredibly polished experience and I really hope that a lot of people that are on the fence come around and pick it up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Marty Chinn said:
Ya, my brother set it to invite only but how do I get invited or find his game?
I've only played the PS3 demo, not the full game, but I'd imagine he has to open the XMB, go to his friends list, choose you, then choose "send invite" or something along those lines.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Duck Amuck said:
I love Irving :lol
3-3 Spoilers
The fight with his "Extreme Makeover" was one of the most jaw dropping boss fights I have ever seen. The lighting, animation, and explosions during that scene were incredible. I can't wait to do that one again.

jax (old)

Banned
Gotta say.. um to chapter 3.3 (?)
boat escape

and now I'm playing solo on normal and the game now feels like a resident evil game. Because the enemies are a bit easier and sheva's tard AI doesn't impact as much as enemies are killable. It does make the game a bit too easy.

VETERAN should never have been made available for the SP game at the start. Almost broke the game.

Visually the game is nice but so far, not OMFG, better than this/that..etc. Its competent at best. I like it but its well, RE4HD.

The problem I have with co-op is that the sense of exploration gets a little lost in favour of move and kill gameplay.

right now:

score 7.5/10

inventory system I don't like
lack of creepy sales guy I don't like

Ryn

Duck Amuck said:
Anyone else having trouble with the QTE's in fights? I'm fighting (3-3 spoiler)
Irving as a sea monster, and I try doing the X+A and LT+RT qte's and I rarely ever manage to pull it off

What the fuck? I mean, I press the buttons and Chris just stands there.

Keep mashing them's the best advice I can give you.

fernoca said:
I think he' s talking about doing all that between Chris and Sheva (i.e.Sheva has a green herb, Chris has a red herb choose combine and Chris ends with the Mixed Herd)..instead you have to send (or request) the item to (or from) Sheva; to combine them.

Though you can do it in the Management item screen..thing.
This, as a matter of fact, is what I'm talking about. I know you can do it in the intermission menu, but it's so dumb that I can't do it while actually playing.

cvxfreak

I agree on the menu complaints. I also wish getting rid of items meant putting them onto the ground instead of discarding them entirely. That was one of Zero's better aspects, in fact.

Captain N

6-3 Help needed!!!!

I knocked down the HUGE rock and now I can't jump on it and Wesker just keeps knocking me down to my death! What is wrong?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game is so god damn good. On chapter 2,
in the mines playing with my friend with him holding the light
. Love it.

cvxfreak

Captain N said:
6-3 Help needed!!!!

I knocked down the HUGE rock and now I can't jump on it and Wesker just keeps knocking me down to my death! What is wrong?

After you knock it down, I believe you should wait for Sheva to get there and then run back to the plateau and continue your assault there.

Captain N

cvxfreak said:
After you knock it down, I believe you should wait for Sheva to get there and then run back to the plateau and continue your assault there.

How do I get by Wesker? I can't jump onto the big rock and Theres no way I can sneak by his arm!

cvxfreak

Captain N said:
How do I get by Wesker? I can't jump onto the big rock and Theres no way I can sneak by his arm!

I see now. You're doing it in the wrong order. After the battle begins, head to the plateau area and assault Wesker until a cutscene occurs, and Wesker goes after Sheva. Then Sheva should jump a gap and then will be clinging onto her life; shoot Wesker to stop him from advancing. Then run to the boulder and push it down, and then return to the plateau with Sheva and begin the final assault.

tass0

Banned
Just finished the game today. Ending really sucked like I knew it will suck,
Wesker
doesn't remind me of classic
Wesker
at all, but this ugly loser voiced by a pretty shitty VA.

On the bright side though, boss fights were really fun (although they ALL look the same), I like some of the locations that take place and I always had this thing with QTEs, and I liked RE5's much ;)

Overall 8/10 for me (PS3 btw)

Captain N

cvxfreak said:
I see now. You're doing it in the wrong order. After the battle begins, head to the plateau area and assault Wesker until a cutscene occurs, and Wesker goes after Sheva. Then Sheva should jump a gap and then will be clinging onto her life; shoot Wesker to stop him from advancing. Then run to the boulder and push it down, and then return to the plateau with Sheva and begin the final assault.

I was totally doing it in the wrong order. After I finally got the final fight..he tore me up. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but He killed me. Tomorrow seems like a much better time to try and beat the game. Well later today.

cvxfreak

Captain N said:
I was totally doing it in the wrong order. After I finally got the final fight..he tore me up. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but He killed me. Tomorrow seems like a much better time to try and beat the game. Well later today.

Once you get to the final bout, just shoot him enough for yet another cutscene showing his weakspot to occur. Then run up to his chest; hopefully it'll have a QTE sequence. Trigger it and the battle should end there. It's not too difficult. We can co-op this mode if you like, too.

Teknoman

Blueblur1 said:
I'm @ 1-3 and I turned it off. I'm disappointed so far as its very ho-hum. I'm also very very very tired from a busy day so maybe that's a factor.

Its probably just being tired. I know im abit tired and made a few mistakes in co-op with Volcynika. Drove right on top of a bomb :lol

Lack of finding important documents does take some getting used to...

So far, my favorite part was the
lantern tunnel in co-op

Bosses are crazy looking...and if RE5 is any indicator as to how far MT Framework engine has come, 4 player Lost Planet 2 co-op is going to be insane.

Captain N

cvxfreak said:
Once you get to the final bout, just shoot him enough for yet another cutscene showing his weakspot to occur. Then run up to his chest; hopefully it'll have a QTE sequence. Trigger it and the battle should end there. It's not too difficult. We can co-op this mode if you like, too.

That would be great! Want to co-op the mode now or later today?

My PSN name is Captain_N

cvxfreak

Captain N said:
That would be great! Want to co-op the mode now or later today?

Love to.

I can't seem to find your name in the OP though. PS3 or 360?

EDIT: nm, just saw your edit. I'll be on in a few moments. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
Its probably just being tired. I know im abit tired and made a few mistakes in co-op with Volcynika. Drove right on top of a bomb :lol

Lack of finding important documents does take some getting used to...

So far, my favorite part was the
lantern tunnel in co-op

Bosses are crazy looking...and if RE5 is any indicator as to how far MT Framework engine has come, 4 player Lost Planet 2 co-op is going to be insane.
There are more files later in the game. Still not a huge amount, but much more relative to the beginning.

voltron

OMFG

So I want to pick up a herb but I have no room in either inventory, and I discarded a some ammo. It disappeared! I thought it would drop on the ground!

Real fucking smart Capcom. Jesus christ. That is so incredibly dumb.

Lucky I didnt attempt to drop the shotty, which is exactly what I was about to do. Fuck me.

mattso

cvxfreak said:
you can
run up to his chest and kill him that way? I pumped tons of magnum and rifle ammo into that orange spot when I beat him...your way sounds easier

Nikorasu

voltron said:
OMFG

So I want to pick up a herb but I have no room in either inventory, and I discarded a some ammo. It disappeared! I thought it would drop on the ground!

Real fucking smart Capcom. Jesus christ. That is so incredibly dumb.

Lucky I didnt attempt to drop the shotty, which is exactly what I was about to do. Fuck me.

Yeah, that's one of the few egregiously glaring flaws about the game and a surprising oversight considering you could use healing items on the spot in 4.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:

WHAT THE FUCK?!

There's a chest QTE to finish him off?! Fuck! When I beat the game last week I just used the shotgun to expose his chest, and unloaded a gazillion magnum rounds into it! Took FOREVER! ARGH!!!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

gimz

i have a question, when i was playing RE5 co-op in the Demo from before, when i was playing with my friend split screen, we could use the whole wide screen
but when i tried to play co-op in the real game, the screen got smaller, any way to fix that?

mattso

man I could have swore I got the bsaa medal in the worship area earlier today. I have 6 more total including that one to get.

Top Bottom