• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Mets39

Hi there!

I'd like to know if the Uk version of RE5 contain other languages than English!

Edit: nevermind, got my answer :)

diss

Banned
graphics in this game are fucking amazing. it's funny to me that capcom can make rather appealing looking characters where developers like bethesda and bioware fail so so hard. or maybe not that funny. it's a third person shooter rather than a wrpg i guess. why am i talking to myself?

I still haven't started yet, but I'm curious that since the beheadings are censored (I know this from the demo) are there ANY cool/gory deaths in the game, or is anything good forced to be happening off camera? no specifics, just yes or not, please.

btw, the whole idea of censoring ANY player deaths is shocking and bewildering to me. this is an M rated game. perhaps they thought the idea of having a pretty female protagonist be killed gorily was too unpleasant for people? didn't that shit happen in previous REs though? altogether the decision to censor deaths seems random and pointless and lacking precedent.

Dahbomb

HorribleJames said:
I still haven't started yet, but I'm curious that since the beheadings are censored (I know this from the demo) are there ANY cool/gory deaths in the game, or is anything good forced to be happening off camera? no specifics, just yes or not, please.

btw, the whole idea of censoring ANY player deaths is shocking and bewildering to me. this is an M rated game. perhaps they thought the idea of having a pretty female protagonist be killed gorily was too unpleasant for people? didn't that shit happen in previous REs though? altogether the decision to censor deaths seems random and pointless and lacking precedent.
There is an adequate amount of censoring of this game in the US version but there is still some gore and cool death sequences in this game. I agree this is beyond being retarded as this is already an M rated game and it has been done before with RE4 with few complaints from the general press so why start now? And on the US version where 360 fans are already used to chainsaws slicing people in half with bits and pieces of blood flying all over the screen.

Costanza

Banned
Only up through 1-2 but the game is pretty fucking excellent so far. Most of my complaints from the demo haven't really been an issue for some reason.

Dead

well not really...yet
Beat the game! :D 11 hours and a half total.

Wish there was a bit more of an ending sequence than just the helicopter going into the sunset, but oh well

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Only up to about chapter 2-3 but the game is pretty freaking cool. The cattle prod is almost as cool as the gravity gun from HL2. But i wish the upgrade/inventory system was more like RE4. I miss the "Welcome!" "What 'r ya buyin?" What 'r ya sellin'?"

diss said:
graphics in this game are fucking amazing. it's funny to me that capcom can make rather appealing looking characters where developers like bethesda and bioware fail so so hard. or maybe not that funny. it's a third person shooter rather than a wrpg i guess. why am i talking to myself?
Capcom hire people for physical motion capture.

http://www.residentevilrealm.com/attori/index.html

Up to 6-1. I really got into the game halfway through chapter 2, and I played some online co-op with some dudes. It's fucking fun. It's hard for me to say if RE5 is better than RE4.

Professional is stupid in this game... It HAS to be played Co-Op or you get owned. I like the fact that you die really easily, but the AI takes too long to heal me when I'm RIGHT NEXT to them. Not to mention the AI wastes ammo like crazy, I'd rather have nobody than the AI. I don't want to play Co-Op because most of my friends aren't very good at RE5 and I'd probably end up moaning at them for dying too much :(.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
WickedLaharl said:
besides the chainsaw beheading what else was censored for the NA release?
It's the same in all versions and it really doesn't seem censored. It's not like in the demo where he just hits you and you fall. It still does the same struggle that Leon does, you just don't see the head rolling because the camera pans down.The body is really bloodied up too. It's not the same as in RE4 but it's still entertaining and has a similar impact, just not as outwardly gory.

I honestly think you should be able to move while shooting in the next game, it should just completely destroy your accuracy, like the awp in counter-strike or something. Not being able to step the the side while aiming your weapon gets me hit a lot...

BeeDog

darkpaladinmfc said:
Professional is stupid in this game... It HAS to be played Co-Op or you get owned. I like the fact that you die really easily, but the AI takes too long to heal me when I'm RIGHT NEXT to them. Not to mention the AI wastes ammo like crazy, I'd rather have nobody than the AI. I don't want to play Co-Op because most of my friends aren't very good at RE5 and I'd probably end up moaning at them for dying too much :(.

Isn't it possible to upgrade the good weapons on the easier difficulties, get (unlockable spoiler)
infinite ammo for them
, give Sheva one of the better weapons, and then pwn?

BeeDog said:
Isn't it possible to upgrade the good weapons on the easier difficulties, get (unlockable spoiler)
infinite ammo for them
, give Sheva one of the better weapons, and then pwn?
Yes but that defeats the point :p. If I used the IRL and Longbow (Much better than Gatling Gun) it would be way too easy. I don't want to use any infinite ammo.

ezekial45

Banned
Jesus, those tribal majini are fucking brutal! I'm playing this on veteran and my partner had a hard time with them. Once those guy with the mask come, i was like fuuuuuuuuck!!

I LOVE this game! :D

USD

And what's up with Capcom's games? Why do I always have to select my storage device every time I play the game? Never understood that.

Costanza

Banned
beelzebozo said:
folks playing single player who were massive re4 fans:

enjoying it?
Yep. Having to deal with Sheva kinda sucks but it's still really fun.

Just don't go in expecting something as great as RE4 or you'll be disappointed.

Sean

Banned
I really hate the HUD sometimes - on chapter 3-1 and after finishing turning the bridge crank it tells me to press X... wasn't paying attention though and Sheva was currently crossing the bridge, soon as I let go it collapsed and she fell to her death :lol

Now I gotta do this whole damn section over again :(

Aske

beelzebozo said:

enjoying it?

Every bit as much as I thought I would. Only complaints are Sheva's presence - but she hasn't been much a hinderance so far in terms of gameplay - and the shop. I miss upgrading in-game, and doing it in a menu is pretty jarring.

But all the important stuff - core mechanics, atmosphere, exploration, environmental diversity, fun...all here in spades for the RE4 fan; even in single player. I have no plans to play co-op, and certainly don't feel a pressing need.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm going to play through it all the way in co-op, is Veteran the best difficulty to start at or is it too difficult?

360 owners in online co-op, have you ever been randomly kicked out of the party thus losing your progress?

It sucks because the person playing Sheva (me) does not get credit for completing the chapter segment.

J2d

Just started this and I gotta say that I cant remember
Jill getting killed
, when did that happen ?

Can you keep your stuff if you complete the game and select a higher difficulty?

Neiteio

beelzebozo said:

enjoying it?
Hell yes. I'm going through it by myself first and I'm currently at 3-2. I did replay the first couple levels to try out splitscreen co-op, which was a blast, but I'm having just as much fun by myself. I'd like to clear a couple misconceptions:

- The game is genuinely creepy. You'll see this immediately upon taking control of Chris.
The Majini glowering at you in dead silence, coupled with Chris' inexplicable commentary on the pitfalls of capitalism, is PRICELESS.
Also, the whole bit about the contrast between harsh light and extreme darkness? It's here in spades, especially at the beginning. Everytime you drop into a tunnel, it's so dark you can hardly see three feet in front of you. There might be an enemy ready to lunge forward... But your eyes adjust. Then, when you're standing in the darkness looking out into the light, the light looks glaring, to the point where you can hardly distinguish what's outside. It's only when you step into the light and are vulnerable that your eyes adjust. There's a pervasive sense of creepiness to everything, too; slaughtered animal carcasses, human sacrifice, shrines of skulls and candles, et al. Some nasties are foreshadowed by an especially high number of corpses... So, the game nails RE4's sense of atmosphere and world-building.

- Sheva is smart if you know how to use her. She DOESN'T take ammo willy-nilly. What she does do is take ONE ammo cartridge for herself whenever she's empty, just so she has something to defend herself with. If there are two ammo carts out in the open, and her gun is empty, she'll run ahead and grab ONE of them, then stand beside the other so you can take it (and loot her inventory for the ammo, should you feel so inclined). Know this and the pack-horse strategy of using her to carry ammo, and keep her in Cover mode (except for bosses; switch to Attack for the bat-scorpion), and you'll be fine. Honestly, her AI hasn't been a problem.

This game is amazing. The best single-player experience this gen, really. And it looks fabulous on PS3. The comparison screenshots are misleading; in the screens Chris' machete looks all muddled, but in motion on my PS3 it looks crisp and clear, with every divot detailed for a strong sense of three-dimensionality. I bet if you forced the PS3 to output at 720 and cranked up your TV's sharpness, it'd look even better (but I'm content where I'm at with the default). I'd also say the Dualshock3 is the best controller for RE4-style gameplay yet; I'm kicking ass more effortlessly than I recall on the Cube. To PS3 users sitting on the fence: get it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
J2d said:
Just started this and I gotta say that I cant remember Jill getting killed, when did that happen ?

Can you keep your stuff if you complete the game and select a higher difficulty?

dude, spoiler tag, and it'll be discussed in this very game.

and yes to your second question.

BeeDog

beelzebozo said:

enjoying it?

Yep, though RE4 still has better everything (environments, setpieces, etc.). It's still a very fun game, so if you liked RE4, you'll still like this game.

jax (old)

Banned
PLOT discussion (up to 5.2)

BIG SPOILER
Its so apparently bird face woman is jill. I think the first scene she showed up and jumped, I was like its Jill. The mask gave it away. I hope I'm wrong. But once we got to chapter 5, her tank is empty.... If I'm not, please don't spoil it. Will come back to this

Game picks up once all the daylight leeches out and we get interiors + dark areas. More RE like. still think the game is broken.

and oh the chapter 5 bosses are AMAZING.
flamethrower looked AMAZINGGGGGG

Sean

Banned
What's up with the leaderboard scores (360 version)? The top people have times of 11-12 minutes for completing the entire first chapter, there's no way those are legit are they?

gimz

chandoog said:
that's probably it, i've read people saying that they got full screen partitions in SD resolutions.
but when i was playing the game in single player mode, it gives me wide screen tho... :/
and the demo too

So far it's pretty fun but definitely lacking the charm of RE4. The inventory system is weak, as is the shop system (I thought I was upgrading my gun but actually just buying the weapon over and over). I'm also not impressed with any of the boss battles, as they lack the originality of those from 4. And how many times have I seen this Saddam Hussein zombie? And are the controls different? I don't remember having so much difficulty running and moving in previous games.

Captain N

Sorry about last night cvxfreak! I had just finished the game and my son started crying like it was his job. Now maybe we can play through again on Pro.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
evilromero said:
So far it's pretty fun but definitely lacking the charm of RE4. The inventory system is weak, as is the shop system (I thought I was upgrading my gun but actually just buying the weapon over and over). I'm also not impressed with any of the boss battles, as they lack the originality of those from 4. And how many times have I seen this Saddam Hussein zombie? And are the controls different? I don't remember having so much difficulty running and moving in previous games.
Because you're a goddamned furry!

Anyway...yeah. This game is the shit. So much awesome and amazing in one package. It blows RE4 out of the water just with it's plot.

mattso

goal for today:
find the last 5 bsaa emblems and then pop online and play some veteran/pro while finishing upgrading my pistol/magnum

Sean said:
What's up with the leaderboard scores (360 version)? The top people have times of 11-12 minutes for completing the entire first chapter, there's no way those are legit are they?
Well me and my bro did it in 15 and took the effort to kill some enemies.

Captain N

mattso said:
goal for today:
find the last 5 bsaa emblems and then pop online and play some veteran/pro while finishing upgrading my pistol/magnum

There is a video online if you want to see it I can find the link. I believe its on Youtube and has the locations of them all.

beelzebozo said:

enjoying it?
And for a completely different perspective, I completely hated playing through RE4, although I did enjoy watching my 10 (at the time) year old brother play through it, but I really enjoyed 5 and already beat it once with no co-op whatsoever. And my bro who loved RE4 so much hates 5 because of the new inventory system. I'm trying to get him to play through with me on veteran with no luck so far.

VaLiancY

I got a massive crush on
Wesker
, I mean who doesn't?! That awesome Falcon Punch
he pulled on Sheva while Jill and Chris were fighting
:lol

TheCardPlayer

I've been reading some RE fansites, where everybody hated RE4 and for some reason they all love RE5. :lol Even the IGN RE board.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
beelzebozo said:

enjoying it?

I thought it would be pretty crappy but I really enjoy it so far. I'm on 4-1. The AI isn't that bad and I just let her have the crappy gun all the time so that she doesn't waste any precious ammo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
beelzebozo said:

enjoying it?
Absolutely. This is RE4-2 in every way and a more than worthy successor. I'm not even done, just finished 5-1, and I can say that without a doubt. It seems as if there is even more unlockable stuff too. I'm going to be playing this just as much as RE4.

TheCardPlayer

Dimmuxx said:
I thought it would be pretty crappy but I really enjoy it so far. I'm on 4-1. The AI isn't that bad and I just let her have the crappy gun all the time so that she doesn't waste any precious ammo.
True. I thought it would suck and it's pretty much the best RE ever.

1Up: It's on par with RE0. :lol :lol :lol

Ganondorfo

This is not only a resident evil 5 question, but a question for the whole resident evil series.

This is something that bothers me when I am playing a resident evil game...

When someone get himself mutated, can they go back to their human form?

Volcynika

Played about 4-5 hours with Teknoman last night, got to 3-1 I think.

This game is so enjoyable, we've actually died or some at the bosses, especially where we made it
those tribal guys fucked us up.

Also the bosses have had hilarious chatting between us:

Spoilers for bosses up to 3-1.

Mines boss: "Hey volc run past this proxy mine to get teh boss to set it off when chases you"

*stops and waits for the boss to set it off, even though it doesn't.

"OH GOD IT DIDNT SET IT OFF, ITS CHASING ME, KILL IT NOW.

Loving this game so much.

Also, this game has the intensity I felt in RE4 as well.
To hell with those dog enemies, they freak me the fuck out. Also, Tekno likes to run into tripwire traps.

Top Bottom