• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
voltron said:
Good idea. Might do that myself (trade in her gun:lol )
It's funny, when you give Sheva a stun rod, and set her to cover mode, she will ALWAYS use it, no matter what. So it makes for a good way of having cover mode be the pack mule mode, where she basically does nothing, and attack mode the mode where she pulls out, say, the rifle you've given her, and watching her go headshot crazy. :lol

xfactor

Banned
voltron said:
So heres something.

I spend god knows how much upgrading key areas of my trusty pistol. And then wait, what the fuck is that? A new pistol!?

FUCK U GAME

I obviously want the better pistol, but you only get around 4k after spending way over 20k upgrading the original.

Fully upgrade your starting weapons will unlock the secret weapons for purchase.

voltron

cant believe I just found the rocket launcher on that level with the boat and the plates. Whos said theres no exploration in this!

Assemble!

Played a couple hours in. At first, I tried to play with the old RE4 controls, but couldn't. Playing with their default (option D). It's starting to really get fun now, and Sheva hasn't bothered me all that much.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Holy crap Sheva actually did something intelligent! Replaying 1-3 we were trying to trap the Boss in you know where to you know what to him and we ran out the door and hit the button but the boss got out before the door closed and sheva used her shotty to shoot him back into the room just in time for the door to close on him for an easy victory. I mean she just shot once to knock him back in then didn't waste anymore shotgun ammo on him. That has got to be by far the smartest thing she's done in this entire game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well I was a cheap bastard and did the rotten egg trick to get a tonne of money. I usually have a short attention span with games, so I figured I'd speed the process of upgrading weapons so I can focus on my subsequent run throughs. I've beaten the game already, of course.

My first order of business was getting the hand cannon and unlocking unlimited ammo for 20,000 points. Unlimited ammo at 5,000 damage a shot. :lol It's a shame it's quite a bit slower than the Magnum/Desert Eagle...not sure if either one is better. I'd say the Deagle might be better just because it has better piercing damage.

Also, I'm looking at the Hydra's stats, and I'm really confused. It seems much worse than the M3...I doubt the added range is even worth it. I should get it and see if the triple barrel perhaps means it shoots 3x the shots, meaning it does 3x the damage it actually says there. I'll test it tomorrow.

CosmicGroinPull said:
Sheva + unlimited ammo machine gun is so nice, hee hee...

I think I may try setting her up with an unlimited ammo MG and rifle. I'm guessing a semi auto rifle would be choice if I'm going unlimited.

smik

Finally Finished this Game :p

Played this Co- Op spanning over 3 nights with a friend, wow awesome all the way through what a roller coaster ride! i loved every minute of it, really enjoyed killing the horde of infested villagers i gotta say im happy they stuck with the RE4 formula.

now i gotta do a solo run bymyself cant wait to upgrade and get those achievements :p

oh good lord those graphics are astonishing, it really looked liked CG to me, i have been spoilt with Killzone 2, SF4 (purchasing real soon) and now RE5 these will last me a good long while.

Good work Capcom this is a keeper.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just earned infinite ammo for my semi-auto rifle. I'm now ready for a solo vet run. :D

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Shouta said:
I haven't had an issue with Sheva myself. Mostly because I figured out how the AI works. Once you figure out what it prioritizes, you can give it equipment to best fit your situation. For me, leaving her with a pistol was just dumb, took it away from her. :lol
Give us some tips then. I already know she prioritizes the stun rod over everything, grenade launcher over ever bullet weapon, Magnum over Bowgun, Bowgun over Rifle, Rifle over Shotgun, shotgun over machine gun and machine gun over pistol. So what do you giver her besides the stun rod?

Chinner

Banned
Rez said:
Just earned infinite ammo for my semi-auto rifle. I'm now ready for a solo vet run. :D
That cheapens the experience thouigh doesn't it? Also, although its cool you can take your equipment into pro, its not really gonna be as hard (or am I underestimating it?). In Resi 4, you had to start with beginner equipment again and it made the game alot more challeneging. You could always say "Well, I won't use my good equipment" but thats still exactly not the same ;p

Shouta

Just finished. Great fun overall. Kinda wish for a bit more story overall and just a little longer in length but this shorter run time means doing multiple difficulties is a lot easier, something I could barely do with RE4's length.

While the feel isn't quite as fresh as RE4, I gotta admit that the action is a lot more intense. In RE4, I didn't feel in danger as much as I was in this. Most of the time I was like "oh fuck, where are the enemies coming from now!?" where as I would know where they were coming from in RE4. There's some fantastic co-op sequences even using the AI. I LOVED the mine. One person flashlight and one person gunning was pretty awesome.

While I do agree that the game isn't "horror" in atmosphere, this is a lot more "survival horror" than previous games to me. Just a lot more "Can I make it out of this alive!?" kind of scary.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Houston3000 said:
So I just went back and played some earlier levels with some random people online, as opposed to my RL friend...

Do people not realize the point is to not blow every damn zombie's head off? Me and some random quiet guy were playing Chapter 2-2, at the part after the crank gates where you're rushed. I swear he spawned 5 head monsters, he just kept shooting their faces off with the rifle, then backing into corners. All I can say is thank god for the shotgun.
Flash grenades destroy all exposed plagas on contact just like in RE4. For some reason flash grenade pickups are really rare in the beginning of the game but eventually show up later on. I suggest stocking flashes if you don't have the appropriate grenade launcher ammo.

Shouta

Shaheed79 said:
Give us some tips then. I already know she prioritizes the stun rod over everything, grenade launcher over ever bullet weapon, Magnum over Bowgun, Bowgun over Rifle, Rifle over Shotgun, shotgun over machine gun and machine gun over pistol. So what do you giver her besides the stun rod?

Personally? Sniper Rifle and Machinegun. Then give her all the ammo you can nab for them, which is pretty plentiful.

One of the larger reasons is because I believe the AI differentiates between the two's range. My Sheva always whipped out the Machineguns (I gave her the AK-47) whenever fighting fairly close to medium and would switch to the Sniper Rifle at a little more than medium to long range. It worked surprisingly well as she also knows exactly where the best spots are to tag enemies.

One of the particular reasons to not give her some weapons is she's an absolute terrible shot. The pistols are wasted ammo if you give it to her and you're better off with it as you'll make all your shots count (also, upgrading it for higher damage makes them rockin). By the same token, crowd control weapons are not something you should be giving her because the AI isn't likely to be programed to fire for maximum spread. So Pistols, Shotguns, and explosives were out of the question (she never uses grenades either). What's left is the Sniper Rifles and the Machineguns, which ironically are her most effective weapons in my experience.

In fact, my Sheva was tapping her AK-47 pretty often to save ammo. That surprised the crap out of me. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
That cheapens the experience thouigh doesn't it? Also, although its cool you can take your equipment into pro, its not really gonna be as hard (or am I underestimating it?). In Resi 4, you had to start with beginner equipment again and it made the game alot more challeneging. You could always say "Well, I won't use my good equipment" but thats still exactly not the same ;p
Well, I've played through the game once in its entirely by myself mixed with some co-op sprinkled in throughout, plus a LOT of co-op in random sections throughout the game, so I'm at the point now where I'm ready for an relatively stress free fun run through, in order to unlock Pro. I've played through most of the game on vet as a guest on my friends 360, so I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. But justification aside, it's going to be fun as hell, and that's all that really matters to me. Plus, it basically means that Sheva will be able to look after herself without me having to worry about her ammo and well-being, so it will feel a lot more like a co-op experience, or even a solo Sheva-less run, in that regard, as I only have to take care of myself.

I think Pro is balanced with over-powered weapons in mind. One hit from an enemy sends you into dieing mode. :lol Plus, infinite ammo is togglable, so you don't have to use it during a Pro run.

edit: I forgot to mention one very important fact, I'm giving my infinite ammo rifle to Sheva, and leaving that as her only weapon. :D

Love this game so much. Been playing it co-op with a friend, so I haven't really gotten to experience Sheva's AI. Well, except when I played through 1-2 again, but for that one, I didn't even give Sheva a weapon. Surprisingly, she didn't actually get hurt at all.

123rl

I finished it yesterday solo and went straight into co-op with a mate last night. Four words: Game Of The Forever! I can't fault it at all and it is pretty much my idea of a perfect action game. I loved every minute, I have loads and loads left to do, I will re-play every bit multiple times to find everything and finish every mode, I have Mercenaries left to play, and I have the option of doing all of this co-op if I want. Best Game. Ever.

I actually like playing with AI Sheva though. She isn't really that bad and it's fun to micro-manage her guns and ammo. Co-op is where the real fun lies though

neoism

OK, I have a question???
I've been playing with my cousin on my tag and his tag on the same xbox, I heard that if I pay single player, sense he was Sheva, my AI Sheva will have nothing!
If I use Sheva for my second play through, can I use the equipment I got form Chris. Also, is Chris' AI just as stupid or do you play the game solo with Sheva!!??????????
NOT REALLY A SPOILER PLOT WISE

Ricker

Shaheed79 said:
. God I wish Capcom would have included an option to play WITHOUT THE AI PARTNER! That would have fixed 60% of what was wrong with the actual gameplay.

I know...don't get me wrong co-op online and the split screen co-op is awesome but I hate for example,playing the solo campaign,Rogue,that when I want to use a grenade there's a big "B" button that comes up on the screen that says "Give"...wtf,I wanna throw the damn thing that's it hehe...stopped at the chainsaw guy last evening but so far,besides that,the game is awesome.

Dahbomb

So I just learned how to use the Proximity bombs the right way:

Place them at a far distance from the enemy. Position yourself so that you are facing the enemy but the bomb is between you and the enemy. Then press the Right and Left stick together (L3 and R3) which will initiate a taunt. The enemy will move towards you to attack and will completely ignore the bomb on their feet.

The taunt tactic is also good to lure enemies away from your co-op partner or the AI. That's always good for people who are still adamant on playing this game single player (god have mercy on your souls!).

Edit: Oh and I have my Sheva on Rifle and Machine gun too. I don't even use the Machine gun because it messes with my hit percentage accuracy rating and using the Rifle normally means that stupid parasite will come out if I get a head shot. Sheva is surprisingly effective with both weapons especially the Rifle. Also give her all the health packs, she is very prompt with her healing skills. Also Stun Rod is GODLY!

123rl

Dahbomb said:
So I just learned how to use the Proximity bombs the right way:

Place them at a far distance from the enemy. Position yourself so that you are facing the enemy but the bomb is between you and the enemy. Then press the Right and Left stick together (L3 and R3) which will initiate a taunt. The enemy will move towards you to attack and will completely ignore the bomb on their feet.

The taunt tactic is also good to lure enemies away from your co-op partner or the AI. That's always good for people who are still adamant on playing this game single player (god have mercy on your souls!).

HOLY SHIT! I had no idea you could taunt your enemies to get their attention. Thank you! That would have solved SO many problems when I played it through :D

Aske

Houston3000 said:
So I just went back and played some earlier levels with some random people online, as opposed to my RL friend...

Do people not realize the point is to not blow every damn zombie's head off? Me and some random quiet guy were playing Chapter 2-2, at the part after the crank gates where you're rushed. I swear he spawned 5 head monsters, he just kept shooting their faces off with the rifle, then backing into corners. All I can say is thank god for the shotgun.

I always thought they spawned regardless. Plenty of them pop out when I 'kill' an enemy with torso shots or melee moves.

I'm up to chapter 3-?, and really hating Sheva. Not because she's stupid; just because her constant presence doesn't feel right. That part in the
mines
when you leave her behind for a few seconds as she waits for you to open the gate...that was bliss. It made me realise just how much I hated having her around. Also, she makes the game too easy and needlessly frustrating by turns. Sometimes I want to explore an area for items myself; or make a kill in my own time. Like, not when the dude is on the other side of a fence where I can't collect his loot. Sheva taking the initiative doesn't break the game, but it stops me from playing the way I want to. I hope they patch in a few more commands, like "do nothing but stay close and hold my stuff" or "stay totally out of sight unless called". I'm actually wishing she was more like Ashley. I'd take away her weapons, but I can't carry everything I need to access quickly by myself. Hopefully Veteran difficulty will change my mind, and she'll feel like an essential tool. And I'll be buying her the stun rod which just hit the shop as soon as I have a bit of cash.

I still love the game, but I hate the fact that Capcom felt the need to jump on the co-op train. Also, Sheva feels like Poochy. "Hey partner! I'm your new partner, partner!" I'm pretty sure I'd be more open to Jill/Leon/Barry etc in the same role. At least I know who they are and give a damn about them.

Do the weapons carry over to new difficulties, or do you go back to square 1 as in RE4?

Dahbomb

123rl said:
HOLY SHIT! I had no idea you could taunt your enemies to get their attention. Thank you! That would have solved SO many problems when I played it through :D
LMAO I know, I just read it on a site. :D

BeeDog

I have two questions:

1. TheExodus mentioned a rotten egg trick to earn lots of money. What is this, and how do you do it?
2. I now have the choice of unlocking infinite ammo on two weapons, the Dragunov rifle and the Magnum (the first one you find on the corpse). Which one should I unlock infinite ammo for, or should I wait altogether with spending the points on another weapon?

robot

Glad I disregarded my disappointment of the demo and picked this up. Once you get used to the controls (it's been awhile since RE4) it's all good. And like Shouta, I haven't had an issue with Sheva at all. It's just a matter of learning how to work with her - honestly she's come in handy a lot. She's great at healing (I've yet to heal myself thanks to her) and drawing out enemies. She's by no means perfect, but not as frustrating as everyone is saying.

I am pretty early in the game (2-2) so maybe my opinion will change. Great to know what weapons are best suited for her, because I did notice she wastes a ton of pistol ammo.

Dahbomb

BeeDog said:
I have two questions:

1. TheExodus mentioned a rotten egg trick to earn lots of money. What is this, and how do you do it?
2. I now have the choice of unlocking infinite ammo on two weapons, the Dragunov rifle and the Magnum (the first one you find on the corpse). Which one should I unlock infinite ammo for, or should I wait altogether with spending the points on another weapon?
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvp-ZMsypxk&feature=related <- there are more varieties of this with other items
2) Once you use that trick and wouldn't even matter which you upgrade first...

More people need to be aware of this in the game. It also unlocks an Achievement.

Zenith

Banned
MechaX said:
1. Capcom, I seriously don't think people liked
Lickers that much in RE2 for you to decide to flood entire rooms with them in this game. And the part where you enter the temple in 5-3 I think... Ugh. That part is going to be an absolute nightmare with AI Sheva.

You would be wrong.

ezekial45 said:
So how do you unlock the
Samurai Edge?

That's just the pistol you see Wesker use in cutscenes. You get to use it in Mercs. For a burst pistol get the M93r.

BeeDog

Dahbomb said:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvp-ZMsypxk&feature=related <- there are more varieties of this with other items

More people need to be aware of this in the game. It also unlocks an Achievement.

Thanks. Regarding 2), it does matter, since points =/= money. I still need to know which one I should upgrade first, since 15.000 points for one infinite ammo upgrade is a lot.

Chao

Picked up my copy last night, liking it quite a bit so far.
But screen tearing is driving me nuts sometimes, it's SO annoying. Is there any way to "fix" that?

123rl

Melee Ping Pong looks ace. I have to try that later on :D This is EXACTLY what I wanted from the game. I wanted a game I'd enjoy but one that gives me an endless line of replay value and new ways to play. Capcom are amazing and this is in the top 3 best games of this generation

Llyranor

A buddy and me played this co-op yesterday. We're at the beginning of chapter 6 now, after a 12-hr gaming marathon. I don't remember the last time I played a game for that many hours straight.

Fantastic game, fantastic co-op, fantastic variety. Very strong GOTY for me at this point. The game still has at the very least 2 more playthroughs for us (the two highest difficulties), and I'm expecting some good things from Mercs co-op.

The controls are absolutely fine. I've never ever played a RE game before. Playing through the demo 2-3 times was enough to get me used to the controls. It's really too bad that some people are skipping the game over this, but that's their loss, ultimately.

BTW, stun rod in co-op + reactions ON = :(

Kolgar

I'm here to eat crow...

Having despised the demo and sworn not to purchase this "outdated" game, I have to admit I had a lot of fun with it last night. Only progressed a handful of levels but it was a damn good time, and control configuration D suddenly clicked for me.

I even think my girlfriend digs it OK. She's a huuuuge fan of RE4 and has been begging me to play that through for her again (would be our third time, not including Separate Ways and Assignment Ada).

Would I still love to be able to move and shoot? Sure. But what we have here is still a heap of fun after all. Well done, Capcom.

xfactor

Banned
BeeDog said:
I have two questions:

Spend on the magnum. It makes farming gold and points easier.

demigod

Dahbomb said:

I got that trophy with AI. I was at the stairs during that one chapter where the girl attacks Chris. Sheva usually knocks me down whenever she does it, I guess I got super lucky.

I didn't play much of the demo, I really hated the control! I'm just so used to RE4 so I'm playing Type A still.

Has anyone unlocked the trophy/achievement where you have to headshot a majini jumping at you? That shit seems hard :( . Maybe I need a shotgun for that.

Pojo

Banned
Chao said:
Picked up my copy last night, liking it quite a bit so far.
But screen tearing is driving me nuts sometimes, it's SO annoying. Is there any way to "fix" that?
PS3 version.

But it has other problems than that, so just be happy.

How is split screen on the PS3 version anyway? Never tried it.

neoism said:
OK, I have a question???
I've been playing with my cousin on my tag and his tag on the same xbox, I heard that if I pay single player, sense he was Sheva, my AI Sheva will have nothing!
If I use Sheva for my second play through, can I use the equipment I got form Chris. Also, is Chris' AI just as stupid or do you play the game solo with Sheva!!??????????
NOT REALLY A SPOILER PLOT WISE
When playing with an AI controlled character, you can outfit either as you see fit.
Sheva will start with nothing, but you can give her any weapons, ammo, or armor that you've collected through your game.

Dahbomb

demigod said:
Has anyone unlocked the trophy/achievement where you have to headshot a majini jumping at you? That shit seems hard :( . Maybe I need a shotgun for that.
Yeah I have done it, it's pretty easy.

Go back to the area in Chapter 1 where you have to evade the Executioner until the helicopter comes. You will notice that there are areas up high where you can jump across the platforms and stuff. When you get high, make a jump straight across a platform and wait there. The enemies will follow you up and attempt to jump so that they can get to where you are. Bust out your shotgun, make sure it's the default one with the Critical upgrade on MAX. After that it's a matter of luck and timing. When the Majini attempts to jump at you, aim your shotgun and when he is in mid-air let go of a shot. It helps to stand at the very edge of the jump from your side so that you can get the maximum effect of the headshot. Should take a few tries though.

I personally am having trouble with the "Use your knife to deflect an arrow from a Majini" achievement. I can't get the timing right for this. Do I have to be really close or really far for this to work? Where's the best place I can practice this?

MutFox

Banned
Pojo said:
PS3 version.

But it has other problems than that, so just be happy.

How is split screen on the PS3 version anyway? Never tried it.

Split Screen runs fine, just finished the game that way,
what an awesome experience!!! :D

eXistor

I just finished the game (sp) and it was good. Good in a non-RE way. It really doesn't feel like the RE I loved back in the day, which is my main complaint with it. The first few RE's were great horror-adventures, cheesy as they were (part of the charm). RE4 and 5 are action games that fit nicely alongside GoW and the like and I generally don't even like those kind of games. It's only due to the RE name that I liked 5 and I really can't say it's a bad game, because it's actually a pretty great game.

I didn't exactly feel exhilirated during the game, it just kind of...went by. The things that excited me in the older titles were the puzzles and the tension and they just dropped all that and made place for non-stop shoot-outs, which to me got pretty boring after a while. It's a shame they decided to go this way with the main series instead of making it a new IP or subseries, but I guess this new direction has just as many fans and for the lucky ones you'll like both the old and the new. For me, I miss the old RE.

voltron said:
cant believe I just found the rocket launcher on that level with the boat and the plates. Whos said theres no exploration in this!

Really enjoyed that area.

Reminded me of Wind Waker.

Which makes it so good.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
x3n05 said:
That would be torture :lol
Not with infinite ammo turned on any upgraded machine gun in fact I think it would be almost too easy.

Yes it does cheapen the experience. This is why I only used the infinite hand cannon in RE4 to do pick up runs so that I could play the game in my own little challenge modes like for instance beating the game on professional only using the starting pistol including Boss fights.".

Just finished it. I'd barely give a 3/10.

The game is just a piece of shit. The only good thing about it is that some old story leaks got explained and sometimes the gameplay is pretty fun - but even this impression gets destroyed because through RE4 I know what Capcom could have done with the gameplay.

Besides of that the rest is junk. I wouldn't even know where to start critcising it.

Capcom simply destoryed my most favourite game series. I can't believe it....

Top Bottom