• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Prezhulio

disappeared said:
I played to 3-1 solo and had no problems besides the early stages where Sheva would take and use all the damned pistol ammo. That was until I gave her the machine gun and now she's awesome. She even held the lamp in the mines and did a fine job lighting the way ahead. The AI's pretty competent, I think.

i was pretty impressed with the mine part when she picked up the lamp....until she wouldn't put the damn thing down and help me fight. i was telling myself i wanted to play through it solo the first time through just to sit back and enjoy it, but damn, i played a level with someone co-op split screen, and it is freaking great co-op.

Neiteio said:
Also, who else loves the
tribal Majini
? Of all the Ganando-like enemies, these are the best. The so-called
Giant Majini
is simply awesome. I can oogle its mask all day.

I really love these enemies and the places they are located. I'm still in awe from last night.

Chiggs

Gold Member
robot said:
She's by no means perfect, but not as frustrating as everyone is saying.

I am pretty early in the game (2-2) so maybe my opinion will change.

She's a moron, especially against some of the bosses and later enemies.

BeeDog

Hopefully someone can answer fast: is there any reason NOT to fully upgrade the PSG-1 rifle and buy the infininte ammo unlock for it? Looking at stats, the PSG-1 seems to be better in all regards than the Dragunov; is there any other difference the FAQ at GameFAQs doesn't list?

FartOfWar

Banned
FabCam said:
I understand why people say that the game is "meant to be played" CO-OP but that doesn't mean you can brush aside the poor execution of playing solo.
I'm not brushing it aside. Just saying that everyone here is on a hardcore gaming forum and isn't Joe Gamestop with only a box and a clerk to guide him. If co-op is an option for a GAFer, I can't see why you're not taking it.

Captain N

I actually liked playing with the CPU and wish there were more co-op events added to the game. Hopefully that will be there in Resident Evil 6. I want to split up and have events one person is doing change what the other is doing.

finished some days ago resident matrix 5.

quite good, especially in co-op. there are some cons (anime crap story, shitty cover mechanics, bad characters like Excella and Neo-wannabe Wesker, etc), but in the end is a solid enough game. i really hate though how capcom is turning his games in anime crap with all those abysmal new characters...

Zenith

Banned
Teknoman said:
. Oh and was the first boss some advanced form of
the leeches from RE0?

well, Excella says
"it shares some similarites" with the leechmen because they both used Progenitor as a base/

Kayas

Neo Member
Should I be selling my treasures as soon as I find them, or should I be holding onto them for any reason like combining them to make super treasure?

Man, after 4-1 I couldn't wait to go shopping. I fucking cleaned house in that shit. Totally awesome. That was a wild level. I really wish Capcom would release some kind of Resident Evil: Generations disc with reflourished versions of all the previous games. I never played RE4 and I really want to. Hell, after this I want to play all of them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
USD said:
Fuck, The Mercenaries is awesome. But fuck the Experimental Facility, that stage is a bitch. Those stun rod fucks (essentially everyone) get annoying fast, the recovery time is soooo long. And then all the fucking Lickers...

And I haven't even tried duo mode yet. Fuck this game is awesome.

That's actually the stage I have my highest score on(106K), I love it. I find the ship to be the most difficult, there's a TON of chainsaw guys that all take 3-4 magnum shots, and most/all(?) of them get back up after they die. There's also a few time crystals I see and have no clue how to reach.

The final level is really amazing though, the enemies can navigate it so well that it gives a good sense of claustrophobia.

Christopher

BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, after 4-1 I couldn't wait to go shopping. I fucking cleaned house in that shit. Totally awesome. That was a wild level. I really wish Capcom would release some kind of Resident Evil: Generations disc with reflourished versions of all the previous games. I never played RE4 and I really want to. Hell, after this I want to play all of them.

Sorry the rest of resident evil isn't gears of war you might be dissapointed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Neiteio said:
The game tells us. If you read the computer on the platform where you fight
U-8
, it says the only side effects of the experiment conducted on her at the time was a change in hair color and a slight whitening of the skin.
Wow, I must have missed that. Or I read it and didn't remember.

Speaking of
U-8
, I think the hulking monstrosity is easily more mindblowing than any boss in RE4. EASILY. What's crazy is its file says Irving sold more of them on the black market, including a stronger
U-8 Prime
, which makes me think we'll see this creature again in future REs. That's fine by me;
U-8
is amazing.

Boss is left over from Lost Planet and Dead Space. :D

BenjaminBirdie said:

wat

BenjaminBirdie said:

You should definitely play RE 4.

The rest come from a different age of gameplay so there is no guarantee you will like them as much but RE 2 back in the day was amazing for its time.

Gowans

Just finished this, half with Super Mackem and the other half with Baka Zeitgeist playing as Tribal Sheva. (thanks guys!)

Co-op all the way was awesome, really enjoyed it alot, loved the variety of environments and the visuals are the best I've seen on the box.

Now to replay and get unlocks.

Volcynika

Stoney Mason said:
I think I'm gonna play solo first time through and then co-op later at a higher difficulty. How are other people approaching it?

Co-op on vet first, but I played with a friend who was at the beginning in normal last night.

diss

Banned
disappeared said:
I played to 3-1 solo and had no problems besides the early stages where Sheva would take and use all the damned pistol ammo. That was until I gave her the machine gun and now she's awesome. She even held the lamp in the mines and did a fine job lighting the way ahead. The AI's pretty competent, I think.
AI Sheva has been pretty competent for me, but she cannot hold that damn lantern in the right direction. I wanted to go into inventory and combine "lamp" and "gun".

Volcynika said:
Co-op on vet first, but I played with a friend who was at the beginning in normal last night.

I have taken this same route.

Although I played up to chapter 2-2 on Normal by myself...

I don't see myself going back it's co-op from here on out.

Teknoman

I really shouldn't have asked most of that stuff early on since im only at chapter 3. So no Jax, not that far yet (didnt highlight spoilers) to have seen anything other than the newer enemies to the series.

EDIT: Do you get trophies for Normal and Easy if you beat it on Vet?

Stoney Mason said:
I think I'm gonna play solo first time through and then co-op later at a higher difficulty. How are other people approaching it?

I'm playing solo first time through. No problems at all, especially when you get better weapons to spread around. There was one instance where she didn't help at all when I really could have used it,
Alligators
, but other than that, it's not a problem at all.

Nice gal.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:
I really shouldn't have asked most of that stuff early on since im only at chapter 3. So no Jax, not that far yet (didnt highlight spoilers) to have seen anything other than the newer enemies to the series.

Yeah, I've read it does.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I went to 2-3 with the AI on veteran then did it co-op for the rest and it worked fine for me.

Teknoman said:

Yeah, they all stack.

Kayas

Neo Member
What is the best way to get easy cash? I have gone back into 2-1 a few times because there is a chest in the beginning of the level and then exit out with about 1200-1500. Cheap I know, but I want to upgrade.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Kayas said:
What is the best way to get easy cash? I have gone back into 2-1 a few times because there is a chest in the beginning of the level and then exit out with about 1200-1500. Cheap I know, but I want to upgrade.

Besides the rotten egg/weapon/whatever trading exploit, 3-1 can be done pretty fast for like 4 idols and some assorted gems.

4-1 has the most gold I've seen, but it takes a while to get to the best stuff.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is that weird? I didn't have a Gamecube, I'd moved on from the PS2 by the time it came out for that. What else was I supposed to play it on?

Moved on to what? RE4 PS2 came out like a month before the 360 launched.

Okay starting to play now and I came to the attack reaction option and I'm too lazy to read through this thread without risking hitting spoilers. What is this and what does it mean in practical game terms if I pick Yes or No.

Also what control style are most people using?

Volcynika

Stoney Mason said:
Okay starting to play now and I came to the attack reaction option and I'm too lazy to read through this thread without risking hitting spoilers. What is this and what does it mean in practical game terms if I pick Yes or No.

Also what control style are most people using?

I'm pretty sure Attack Reaction = Friendly Fire. Yes = FF, No = No FF

Also, I'm using A.

careksims

Beat the game last night with my buddy. Awesome good times! I really enjoyed it. One of my favorite games this year! Now to get the symbols and money for weapons and tons more unlockables! Yikes! :D

Just finished it. It was good, but the game's environements felt uninspired and rushed. So much potential in the first half of the game that went to waste. Long corridor, flavored arena, long corridor, flavored arena, etc.

Anyhoo, does anyone know a way to make the Resident Evil games on Gamecube look playable on an HDTV?

If there's one thing that RE5 succeeded, it's making me want to replay the old games.

SketchTheArtist said:
Just finished it. It was good, but the game's environements felt uninspired and rushed. So much potential in the first half of the game that went to waste. Long corridor, flavored arena, long corridor, flavored arena, etc.

Anyhoo, does anyone know a way to make the Resident Evil games on Gamecube look playable on an HDTV?

If there's one thing that RE5 succeeded, it's making me want to replay the old games.

Isn't Capcom bringing out REremake and REzero to the Wii? I just wonder if they will be playable in 480p in widescreen.

Solideliquid said:
Isn't Capcom bringing out REremake and REzero to the Wii? I just wonder if they will be playable in 480p in widescreen.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. So I wonder if I should wait out on my RE-rush for now.

USD

I've been looking for an optimal control scheme for The Mercenaries. The faster pace of gameplay totally negates the advantage of a strafe, as you'll be running around the whole time, giving the advantage to Type A and B, which have the viewpoint shifting (very useful for quickly finding enemies and quickly targeting flanking ones). Type B still allows you to do point-blank shooting on stunned enemies because of the separate melee and shoot buttons (especially useful for when downing mini-boss characters close-up , which makes me prefer that control scheme. You just have to deal with switch from face buttons to right stick all the time. I might end up switching to Type B controls permanently.

But man, all the constant viewpoint shifting hurts my head. I'm taking a break right now because of it. I'm not sure I can adjust to that.

Chinner

Banned
Anyone want to comment on the melee and bullet proof vest? Whats the damage reduction like? Any use to them on the higher difficulties?

Chinner said:
Anyone want to comment on the melee and bullet proof vest? Whats the damage reduction like? Any use to them on the higher difficulties?

I used the melee vest on Veteran. It helps a lot, maybe like half the damage taken.

xfactor

Banned
Kayas said:

You can try this method if you haven't clear the game yet for an infinite ammo magnum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrjNQckZnj0

Basically you go through Chap 3-1, as it have lots of gems and the enemies will not appear at all if you don't pick up the key item.

If you have infinite ammo magnum, try 5-2 with auto-save and on amateur setting. Get past the majini warzone, and get to the
licker
corridor. Kill all of them with the infinite ammo magnum (have both Chris and Sheva to carry one for best result) and take the lion heart gems they drop (you should have 3~5 gems). After you pick up the last gem, quit , auto-save, then choose continue and you be back in the corridor with those enemies respawned. Proceed to kill them which should take more than 2 minutes, and take the gems again. 5 gems (12500 gold) per session for every 2 minutes.

Top Bottom