• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Nemesis_

So apparently the Biohazard Degeneration Artbook mentions that TriCell was originally called SeaShell. Company S = TriCell?

Can anyone with the artbook confirm this? >_>

TheExorzist said:
Just finished it. I'd barely give a 3/10.

The game is just a piece of shit. The only good thing about it is that some old story leaks got explained and sometimes the gameplay is pretty fun - but even this impression gets destroyed because through RE4 I know what Capcom could have done with the gameplay.

Besides of that the rest is junk. I wouldn't even know where to start critcising it.

Capcom simply destoryed my most favourite game series. I can't believe it....
wow overreaction time

God's Beard said:
wow overreaction time
No overreaction. I'm just not even try to be "objective" - which is, by the way, impossible anyway.

I loved the old gameplay, I loved the RE4 gameplay, I love the RE story (ok, except Zero maybe) - Capcom destoryed all of that with part 5. Shame.... Sad thing is only that there is Mikami anymore who will make it right again - you know, like he did after Zero almost killed the series.

Dead Man Typing said:
Sorry if this has been answered already, but are the cutscenes real time or video files? Possibly a mix.

Yes, this does matter to me.

seems to be real time.

the only part that made me question it is when the
oil place explodes. the explosions looked just a tad too spectacular,
but who knows.

MutFox said:
Split Screen runs fine, just finished the game that way,
what an awesome experience!!! :D
I just finished a splitscreen run on PS3 and I have to disagree. Why not fill the entire screen and why offset the two frames?

Anyways, the last half of the game picked up considerably with the cool RE-style laboratory environments. But I must say this has some of the worst dialogue of any RE game to date. The final words out of Chris are just wince-inducing. I guess that is just a facet of derivative storytelling in videogames. But thank god the labs were as cool as they were because the first half just disappointed so much.

Volcynika

Anyone wanna play online PS3 version now? I haven't beaten the game (only made it to 3-1), and I'm in North America. Have a mic too.

Solideliquid said:
I think the entire chapter 5.1 is my current favorite. I love the old abandoned facility/base feel. And
LICKERS!!!!!!
This saved the experience for me.
Walking through the glass holding cells trying not to alert the Lickers was just a classic RE moment.

evilromero said:
This saved the experience for me.
Walking through the glass holding cells trying not to alert the Lickers was just a classic RE moment.

Is it just me or are they tougher to kill in this game (on normal)? Is it because of the gene therapy they got or were they always this tough? It would have been great if they worked on hunters instead.

eso76

Dead Man Typing said:
Sorry if this has been answered already, but are the cutscenes real time or video files? Possibly a mix.

Yes, this does matter to me.

all real time.
A hint of screen tearing here and there and the fact alt. outfits on main characters show in cutscenes confirms it.
Biggest improvement compared to ingame graphics seems to be lighting, which is just amazing.
i've been watching (all of) them again and some parts are so realistic and natural looking you won't even notice the unbelievable amount of stuff going on. From a techical pov this just destroys MGS4 (which i've also been re-watching lately).. Facial animation and lip sync in re5 truly are light years beyond anything i've seen,

eso76 said:
all real time.
A hint of screen tearing here and there and the fact alt. outfits on main characters show in cutscenes confirms it.
Biggest improvement compared to ingame graphics seems to be lighting, which is just amazing.
i've been watching (all of) them again and some parts are so realistic and natural looking you won't even notice the unbelievable amount of stuff going on. From a techical pov this just destroys MGS4 (which i've also been re-watching lately).. Facial animation and lip sync in re5 truly are light years beyond anything i've seen,

Not sure myself if from a TECHNICAL pov, but I disagree that RE5 > MGS4 cutscenes.

eso76

Solideliquid said:
Not sure myself if from a TECHNICAL pov, but I disagree that RE5 > MGS4 cutscenes.

like i said earlier mgs4 has better direction and better characters and 'stuff' to work with, but technically speaking re5 takes the cake. i don't know what tech they used for motion capuring of facial expressions but it goes way beyond what mgs4 offers in that dept.

Just finished 3-2. I forget who said it, but yeah, the horror isn't in shit jumping out at you, it's in "JESUS CHRIST OPEN THE DOOR GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE GO GO GO GO FUCKING GO!!!!" So much fun, especially with Shotgun Chris and Rifle Sheva. The first few stages were a bit of a bore with only the pistol but now, oh such fun. I definitely look forward to playing through it again with better weapons.

I'm playing on Amateur, by the way, because I am one.

Beat the game last night online on Veteran. Fantastic game. It's been treated too harshly as I feel it's at least in the 9/10 category.

Graphics don't get enough cred. Yes there is some annoying screen tearing in the 360 but it just looked amazing. Best looking game I've played (I cannot get Crysis to look this good on my computer).

Setpieces are amazing, especially the area after you beat
Irving
. The whole
marshland
area looked sooooo good in general.

Bosses were up and down.
Excella fight, Wesker fight in the hangar, and Jill by herself fight, were sweet. Somewhat disappointed that you don't fight Jill as bird lady but the uniqueness of the fight was great

Cover system later on works surprisingly well.

And wow so much to unlock it's not even funny. Absolutely getting my money's worth.

If I could change one thing...

Grenade guys. RE4 would at least show you where new enemies come from. RE5 does not. So it pisses me off when I'm doing my thing when I blow up all of a sudden. The game should at least show a small cutscene to let you know.

Volcynika

^to Grimm (not quoting due to spoiler stuff)

Yeah, the intensity of this game is crazy and some things can come out of nowhere. I remember this situation when I was playing with Teknoman Friday:

The chainsaw guy getting back up? Didn't expect that. I took care of him, took his key, and turned around to take care of a Majini that was still alive. Suddenly I hear Tekno going "LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!" and I thought it was just another Majini about to grab me and he could just knock him off. Before I know it, I get a freakin chainsaw in the back. Oh man that freaked me out.

Pojo

Banned
eso76 said:
like i said earlier mgs4 has better direction and better characters and 'stuff' to work with, but technically speaking re5 takes the cake. i don't know what tech they used for motion capuring of facial expressions but it goes way beyond what mgs4 offers in that dept.
I disagree completely (the characters almost look like caricatures, with very exaggerated facial expressions), but it looks good nonetheless. It's well animated, but MGS was far more natural.

Great game so far. Feels a bit like Resident Evil: Missions, though. I guess it'll get more cohesive as a get further along.

Captain N

cvxfreak said:
I like controlling Sheva a lot better than Chris, actually.

I think I like being on the left more than right and that could be why I find myself picking Chris over Sheva.

I noticed some things are different when you play through her in the actual game.

jax (old)

Banned
well, tried to play merceneries ... and

um, what's with the weird lag when you attack - I get this both with the online game and offline. Its like the system can't keep up. No matter who I connect with in mercenecies, the lag = getting hit despite shotgunning the enemy. I dunno. I couldn't get enough of merceneries RE4 but here, just not feeling it.

as for additional play... to upgrade shit + get infinite ammo... got that for the magnum and a rifle... and I've got no desire to upgrade the rest. RE4 made it fun. This... somehow, its tedious here. The amount of money you need to max out a weapon.. and then its followed by... points!

UPGRADE .. with monies.
then UPGRADE with points. (to get unlimited ammo).

grind hell.

USD

Fuck, The Mercenaries is awesome. But fuck the Experimental Facility, that stage is a bitch. Those stun rod fucks (essentially everyone) get annoying fast, the recovery time is soooo long. And then all the fucking Lickers...

And I haven't even tried duo mode yet. Fuck this game is awesome.

Teknoman

Volcynika said:
^to Grimm (not quoting due to spoiler stuff)

Yeah, the intensity of this game is crazy and some things can come out of nowhere. I remember this situation when I was playing with Teknoman Friday:

The chainsaw guy getting back up? Didn't expect that. I took care of him, took his key, and turned around to take care of a Majini that was still alive. Suddenly I hear Tekno going "LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!" and I thought it was just another Majini about to grab me and he could just knock him off. Before I know it, I get a freakin chainsaw in the back. Oh man that freaked me out.

Speaking of which, i'll be up for co-op later on tonight if you're good for it.

EDIT: There are still areas that give you tense feelings, like the
Lantern cave
and that one
sewer area thats really dark early in the game

Personally, I think Capcom succeed with the light/dark area contrasts. The dark areas are really slow paced and creepy looking, while the sunlit/artificially lit areas are fast paced and full of action.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
USD said:
Fuck, The Mercenaries is awesome. But fuck the Experimental Facility, that stage is a bitch. Those stun rod fucks (essentially everyone) get annoying fast, the recovery time is soooo long. And then all the fucking Lickers...

And I haven't even tried duo mode yet. Fuck this game is awesome.
The mine is unplayable because of the reapers. 2-3 come at you at once...it's just bullshit.

Teknoman

Volcynika said:
Yeah! I haven't had much of anyone to play with this weekend. :/ Just message me on Steam or something.

I would've been on last night, but Buy 2 get one free at Gamestop makes for one long ass busy work day. Then again, I was able to sell alot of people RE5 (more on PS3 than 360 this time around).

Also has anyone noticed any framerate drops, because I havent. Even during the beginning, where the demo would occasionally drop, things have been really smooth. I thought they would slow down abit during the
first chase turret senario
but everything stayed smooth there as well.

tass0

Banned
eso76 said:

RE5's facial expressions SUCKED
imo

Teknoman

Sheva face ftw.

EDIT: Wait, Lickers are back? Wow..really bringing things full circle. Oh and was the first boss some advanced form of
the leeches from RE0?

USD

Dahbomb said:
I personally am having trouble with the "Use your knife to deflect an arrow from a Majini" achievement. I can't get the timing right for this. Do I have to be really close or really far for this to work? Where's the best place I can practice this?

Just play on Normal, get to an area with archers and kill everyone else. Take your knife out and swing the moment you see the archer shoot. If you swing late, back up, early, move forward. That's all I did. I think I was around 30 feet away from the archer when I did it.
Y2Kev said:
The mine is unplayable because of the reapers. 2-3 come at you at once...it's just bullshit.
I didn't have too many problems with the Mines, but multiple Reapers are annoying.

licker things just killed sheva. I didn't save her fast enough. was brutal.

anyway, I'm so much happier with sheva's AI performance now that I limit her only to machine guns and rifles. with those, she does quite well. seriously. just keep the handguns and shotguns away from her. I use primarily handgun and shotgun as chris, and my sheva has MG and rifle, and she's pretty smart with it. she pretty much only uses the rifle when it's an appropriate time to use a rifle, and not other times. plus, she handles almost all the healing so I don't have to micromanage it, I just let her hold the healing items.

jax (old)

Banned
Teknoman said:
Sheva face ftw.

EDIT: Wait, Lickers are back? Wow..really bringing things full circle. Oh and was the first boss some advanced form of
the leeches from RE0?

any of the beauties in MGS4 would have shat on the RE5 models. Hell, any model. Just look at
wesker/jill
the former looks like a cartoon character and the latter ... the skin map, teeth..etc etc are all pretty janky. Its RE4HD. MGS4 is next gen

also regaring
lickers
have you not played the main game? Honestly though..... I wonder

2nd spoiler - again have you not played the game? BIG BIG SPOILER
it is uroboros, the progenitor/plagas blend and its the main virus in this game, comes up altogether 4 times in this game - chamber, angery urobobos, erika (sp?) uroborous + wesker uroborous

USD

Minor character spoiler.

Oh shit, if you click in the right stick, followed by the run button (or vice versa)
Wesker can do a sprint charge. Drains a small amount of health though.

MoogPaul

I just finished chapter 3, I'm a little behind due to madworld, pikmin, and DQ5, but I'm hoping this really picks up. This game is the very definition of linear and I hope that changes. RE5 might be the nail in the coffin for Resident Evil and marks the true birth of Gears of Resident Evil. That makes me a saddddd panda.

Been enjoying it quite a bit. Single-player Normal up to 3-3. Controls now feel as good again as they did in RE4 after some reacclimation. Deaths so far have only been of either the surprise type (f'ing
alligator raft attack
) or the only time I've been annoyed with the otherwise competent Sheva AI:
the long open mountainside trek after birdlady grabs up Irving
. Sheva AI just didn't seem to understand--when sent up alone to try to cover me--during that sequence that molotov cocktails to the face won't keep her looking pretty...

But when working back-to-back she really hasn't failed me yet.

I like this latest incarnation of main character Chris a lot too. Kicks ass but with a more sober attitude than wise-cracking Leon (RE4 version). Good va as well.

FartOfWar

Banned
MoogPaul said:
I just finished chapter 3, I'm a little behind due to madworld, pikmin, and DQ5, but I'm hoping this really picks up. This game is the very definition of linear and I hope that changes. RE5 might be the nail in the coffin for Resident Evil and marks the true birth of Gears of Resident Evil. That makes me a saddddd panda.
You're playing solo aren't you?

Zenith said:
Well, the serie won't (without a doubt) ever be as it once where. Only seeing how much people seem to love the Coop here tells me that the series never EVER will be pure single player again.

On top of this I will never ever be able to play any of the old parts without knowing that Wesker

is a FUCKING EXPERIMENT or whatsoever.

This is so god damn riddiculus and makes so little sense when looking at the old parts I almost started crying after game revealed this.

Mercenaries is GODLY. Holy crap is it tough as well. Trying to learn all the layouts and get a feel for the characters.

This game is so amazing.

FartOfWar

Banned
MoogPaul said:
yes, but does that make any difference? Playing with another person doesn't make you have to back track or unlock hidden puzzles.
If it doesn't make a difference, how did I call it? It doesn't make the game less linear. It makes the game exponentially more enjoyable. Seriously, I'd stop now and pick it up with a friend.

FabCam

FartOfWar said:
You're playing solo aren't you?

I understand why people say that the game is "meant to be played" CO-OP but that doesn't mean you can brush aside the poor execution of playing solo.

Kayas

Neo Member
I originally wasn't going to get this game based on the controls and the demo. But someone mentioned that the controls get better and actually lend itself very well to the overall game, so I rethought the purchase.
I picked it up and have been having a great time with it. The controls are not bad at all, a little odd at times but not the game killer I originally thought they would be. I have also never played a RE game before and am loving this game so far. I haven't even finished it and can't wait to go back through multiple times.

The stopping to shoot is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and I'm actually starting to like it, just like people said I would. I'm surprised. :D
It really does add to the tension of the game and the mob coming after you. The game does a great job of really making you question where you shoot from. Not only do you have to make sure you have a good exit strategy after shooting. But you have to pay more attention to the shots you take before you re-position yourself, and take the time to aim to maximize your bullets and shot opportunity, but not enough time to expose yourself to the mob. You cannot just unload your magazine till the mob is all dead like in most games.
I'm loving it. :D

FabCam said:
I understand why people say that the game is "meant to be played" CO-OP but that doesn't mean you can brush aside the poor execution of playing solo.

I played to 3-1 solo and had no problems besides the early stages where Sheva would take and use all the damned pistol ammo. That was until I gave her the machine gun and now she's awesome. She even held the lamp in the mines and did a fine job lighting the way ahead. The AI's pretty competent, I think.

I'd say aside from a few small annoyances, the AI is fine and single player experience is fine. I honestly don't get what the crying and bitching is about.

Neiteio

Y2Kev said:
I want to know when she went blonde...
The game tells us. If you read the computer on the platform where you fight
U-8
, it says the only side effects of the experiment conducted on her at the time was a change in hair color and a slight whitening of the skin.

Speaking of
U-8
, I think the hulking monstrosity is easily more mindblowing than any boss in RE4. EASILY. What's crazy is its file says Irving sold more of them on the black market, including a stronger
U-8 Prime
, which makes me think we'll see this creature again in future REs. That's fine by me;
U-8
is amazing.

And the best part is I'm at 5-3, and I hear there's ANOTHER huge boss coming up... I love me some monsters, and between Irving's transformation, Popokarim, Ndesu, all the Uroboros (especially the one with the
flamethrower
, omg), the
Lickers
and
Reapers
and now this, the game delivers. IN SPADES.

And goddamn this game has the best bonus features. The figures are wonderful; I haven't been this addicted to collecting something since Pokemon Diamond. And the ability to play all 53 cutscenes, with Scene Select and the game automatically transitioning from one to another like an 80+ min. movie, will make for good television down the road. :D

Also, who else loves the
tribal Majini
? Of all the Ganando-like enemies, these are the best. The so-called
Giant Majini
is simply awesome. I can oogle its mask all day.

Love this game. Like RE4 before it, this game will probably end up the most-played game of its console. It's that good.

Top Bottom