• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

fernoca

I still have no complaints with Sheva..
I have a handgun, so she picks it's ammo around and then give it to me..I'm dying she comes close and heals me....and with the electric/stun..thingie she goes around stunning Majini making it easier to me to kill them..
Heck, 10 hours so far, on 4-2 right now..played 1-1 through 3-2 by myself without dying, lots of ammo and with lots of herbs and sprays....

Played today 2-1 though 4-2 with a friend in Co-op and died 5 times (4 of those in the same areas I played by myself without dying)... [though still awesome, nothing beats the experience of playing it with a friend]

Then again I'm playing on Normal..and according to GAF only Veteran counts.. :p

Still have no complaints, exceeded my expectations, blah blah blah..though I never jerked off to Resident Evil 4 even when I really liked it so maybe that's why..(RE4 was like a 8.5/10 to me...RE5 so far is a 9/10; so I'll see...)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If you insist on using the AI Fernoca, then playing on Normal is the right thing. Unless you're a sadist, or want to hate the game. =p

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
AnonymousNoob said:
Mark Hamill

:lol

Hmm...what have people found to be the best money grinding stage?

Personally, I'm fond of 4-1 or 3-1, 4-1 is a bit more cash, but 3-1 is a bit quicker.

Well, just finished it. My score is an 8/10.

I get the feeling the only reason Sheva is in the game is due to a rather lamebrain effort on Capcom's part to pour water on the racial firestorm. Jill Valentine's role in the plot felt tacked on. And she deserves more than that.

I actually kind of thought this too while I was playing, especially given how much effort Capcom went into with the whole actual element of it.

so am I safe to just sell all these treasures as I get them, or is there actually any combining? I can't see that there is any.

Sell 'em all, no combining.

VegaShinra

Rez said:
If you insist on using the AI Fernoca, then playing on Normal is the right thing. Unless you're a sadist, or want to hate the game. =p
I beat it on Vet with the Sheva AI. She only screwed me over a few times but nothing too major.

I'm about 4 hours in and honestly I don't have any major complaints with sheva. I don't know what all the frenzy is about.

sure, she shoots indiscriminately, and sometimes wastes ammo shooting me in the ass with it... but, really, she generally stays out of my way, she aims fairly well, and she follows me. not sure how much more I'd really expect. I keep most the healing items on her because she uses them when we're hurt (which is the time to use them) so I don't have to worry about micromanaging healing that often.

earlier I got FUCKED UP by
that turret guy in the back of the truck. I finally kill him, then someone else gets in it before I knew they would do that. :)
they removed this behavior from gears 2 for a reason, capcom!

PROTIP: when you level up capacity, you also refill your ammo count. So wait between chapters to level up capacity for guns with rare ammo and you'll have a full clip each time.

demigod

Loxley said:
I actually found a way to keep Sheva from, more or less, wasting ammo; I sold her pistol. As such she doesn't even bother running off and stealing pistol ammo and wasting it. I kept the shotgun and pistol, and as such horded all the ammo for myself, and gave Sheva the Rifle and SMG, she's actually a getter shot with the rifle than me :p

It's worked out pretty well. She whips out the rifle at the appropriate times and actually goes through the SMG ammo pretty conservatively, she doesn't just spray and pray, she actually bursts enemies. Not a perfect solution, she's still pretty dense, but ammo-wise it did help just getting rid of her damn handgun.

Man, Yahtzee is going to have a field day with RE5 ;)

Oh trust me, I even tried putting her weapon in the inventory and forcing her to use the Shotgun. But then what does she do? RUN AHEAD leaving me behind, she barely even used the shotty.

I still love the game tho. I wonder how much harder it would be with AI on Pro mode.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
AnonymousNoob said:
But isn't L4D's buddy AI surprisingly competent?

Like, possibly better than live people you have access to?

That said, the main reason I'm playing single player first is to:

A) Get all of the items. THEY'RE MINE, ALL MINE!

B) Experience the game without someone VOIPing in my ear.

After this run, it will most certainly be nothing but co-op.

Thats a big negative

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just did a crazy long Merc run that ended up with me finally getting all of the characters, hell yeah. I now have like 1800 common town Majini killed. :lol

S.T.A.R.S. Wesker is ridiculously awesome, once I saw him shoot the triple barrel shotgun I bought it asap for the campaign. The other Wesker is also good, I love the proximity mines. I've mainly only played as him so far so I'm not sure about the rest, Jill seems great for downing people then doing a double knee drop, each melee kill adds 5 seconds so it can easily add up.

Papercuts

cvxfreak said:
I like controlling Sheva a lot better than Chris, actually.

She gives a lot more space to see, but I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting to her being on the other side of the screen. I ended up getting 30 kills with her bow earlier, and some of the kills were so embarrassing to see. :lol

Having no reticule with that obviously contributes, but my accuracy in general is a lot worse with her.

omg rite said:
Hey so what was the update for? There was an update for the game as soon as I popped it in.

It makes Mercenaries online.

xfactor

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Yeah I read all that and enjoyed the backstory but wished it was fleshed out in the actual game. I just wonder if that is the direction this game is headed next.

I guess it was done to serve an ownage to those people which judged the game by the live feed immediately without owning the game :lol Everything they pointed out as plothole few weeks ago after the live feed were actually explained in the Library section which they can't read.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Has anyone tried this yet?

Kill all of the first Majini horde
Jumping off of a window at the first encounter with a Majini, you will be attacked by a horde of Majinis. Don’t run away into a hut, but try to kill them all. If you do, the last Majini will drop a topaz gem for you to keep. It will be hard to kill all at the first try. Challenge it after clearing the stages lavishing with as many weapons as possible.

I've attempted this several times and never get a topaz from the last enemy. Does it only work on certain difficulty settings or do I have to find the topaz or is not working for anyone else either?

hteng

Banned
anyone here thinks that Dead Space was much more tense, disturbing and scary than RE5, at least DS had awesome jump scare moments?

Papercuts

hteng said:
anyone here thinks that Dead Space was much more tense, disturbing and scary than RE5, at least DS had awesome jump scare moments?

DS is easily more tense, but I find RE5 to not only blow it away, it atleast has the initial impression on me to be above RE4(which also is less tense than DS was).

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Oldschoolgamer said:
Me three. Chris takes up too much of the screen being so unbelievable roided up and sheva has overall better frontal melee attacks like the flip kick and turnaround kick. The flip kick even hits downed enemies. Having said that none of the new melee attacks are as good and effective as Leons roundhouse and suplex moves. God I wish Capcom would have included an option to play WITHOUT THE AI PARTNER! That would have fixed 60% of what was wrong with the actual gameplay.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:
Most definitely. Dead Space was, first and foremost, a horror game, whereas RE was more of a mix between survival and action.

senahorse

hteng said:

Totally, the only moment that I can think of that was remotely tense was when being chased by
the chainsaw guys
. The way I see it was that the horror from previous RE games has now been totally removed. IMO RE4 is a mix of horror/action whereas RE5 is just a pure action game, not to say there is anything wrong with that, it's just what the series is now.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Anyone know wtf I'm doing wrong at the last boss fight on the PS3? This only seems to happen on PS3 but..
When I go in to knife Wesker, Chris ends up dying while I'm doing it, via damage from the leeches?? I never had this happen in the 3 times I beat it on 360, so wtf? I've weakened him to the point of absolute death, but we still die, even with full health. WAATT

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Shaheed79 said:
Me three. Chris takes up too much of the screen being so unbelievable roided up and sheva has overall better frontal melee attacks like the flip kick and turnaround kick. The flip kick even hits downed enemies. Having said that none of the new melee attacks are as good and effective as Leons roundhouse and suplex moves. God I wish Capcom would have included an option to play WITHOUT THE AI PARTNER! That would have fixed 60% of what was wrong with the actual gameplay.

Sheva is faster too, right?

As for more (lol) dead space comparisons...I really would say Dead Space and RE4 are close to being equal in terms of horror and action. That being said, RE5 is like a billion times more action based than both, and neither one of the two was short on excessive gun/laser battles.

Papercuts

WickedLaharl said:
how do you do combos?

Shoot an enemy in the bicep, punch the enemy and your partner needs to kick them back for you to be able to pull off the new move.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Sheva is faster too, right?

As for more (lol) dead space comparisons...I really would say Dead Space and RE4 are close to being equal in terms of horror and action. That being said, RE5 is like a billion times more action based than both, and neither one of the two was short on excessive gun/laser battles.

Sheva is faster but pushes stuff slower, both seem like a hard to notice difference though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
x3n05 said:
Totally, the only moment that I can think of that was remotely tense was when being chased by
the chainsaw guys
. The way I see it was that the horror from previous RE games has now been totally removed. IMO RE4 is a mix of horror/action whereas RE5 is just a pure action game, not to say there is anything wrong with that, it's just what the series is now.
I was actually pretty creeped out during the beginning of 5-1, most of 6-2 and a bit towards the end of 1-1.

I'd like to see the action RE coexist with the old-school RE. Having the Wii is the perfect excuse to go all out with old school pre rendered backdrops ala REmake and RE0. It boggles my mind that Capcom haven't been making old school RE games.

Christopher said:
Wesker now that you beat it impressions, and do you have PSN? If you do why aren't you on my list >: (

My PSN is dvader654 add me.

I gave a lot of impressions in my other posts but for final thoughts on story I have this post I made on another site, I am responding to other posts so thats why I mention other people.

End game spoilers

Totally agree with Yama on practically everything. I had the same final time as well.

As you guys know for me this whole game was all about how they were going to handle Wesker. I always felt that if they killed him I would be angry. But what they did was give him a proper backstory, it was a bit out of the blue and could have used a lot more time on but it finally explained why Wesker is the way he is without being a "mystery virus" that you always wondered why it wasn't being mass produced. They also gave Wesker a purpose. Yes he wanted power but he was kind of just gathering viruses for what, the whole human evolution thing kind of just fits. And I LOVE that they explained Spencer, from the very beginning Spencers true motives were always in question. And we finally find out that it wasn't just to be a big powerful BOW selling company, he wanted ultimate power and I like how that passed on to Wesker.

Now that Wesker has a final goal and purpose we finally saw him in action. He is still arrogant, he is still a total ass not caring about anyone, case in point Excella. To the very end he was larger than life, the ending of this game actually gave me a finish so incredible, so huge that I was satisfied with Wesker's death. Plus it helps that it practically takes place in the same location where Anakin and Obi-wan battle, as a SW fan it was like the merging of two of my favorite things.

The revelation of other Wesker's help the sting of losing him for sure. We know there is an Alex Wesker, which in a way is Wesker's father. I guess the series can go in that direction but at this point I am still wonder what is next. With the PS1 era RE games they all had Raccoon City and Umbrella as their base of the story, once RC was blown up in RE3 I was left wondering now what? The series had to branch out, sure there was still Umbrella but it was heading to all new territory. CV established Wesker as the new anchor for the story, all games after that always had a purpose cause there was always Wesker out there, it gave the overall story a direction. Now that Wesker is gone once again I am left with now what? While going on this Wesker origins storyline can be cool it still wont feel the same cause it wont have any ties to the original. That is what was special about this series cause even now 13 years later we are still feeling the effects and getting closure to events that started from the very first game. I know the heroes remain but to be honest I never viewed them as the stars, they are basically your typical hero character taking turns as the main lead, the villains is what holds this series together. Thats the thing, there is nothing to connect the future with the past, there is no more Umbrella, no more Spencer and no more Wesker.

On Jill, like Yama said they should have spent more time on it. I dont need this game to go all MGS on me but come on. Chris finds out what is going on and it all gets resolved in the same moment. I wanted them to explore the pain Chris must have felt of having Wesker turn Jill against him. I thought it would be an on going process throughout the story. But it was just a quick bullet point. The other new characters, they made the cast of RE4 seem brilliant. I am so glad they all died miserable deaths, especially Excella, horrible character, glad Wesker betrayed her. You guys are totally right, the trailers had it all, what the hell. Thats probably why I was expecting more meat to this story cause I figured the trailer was just showing us the outline of a deeper story, no, that was the whole story right there. Seriously the files is what made this story great, without them its just a series of badass cutscenes with little substance outside the Wesker stuff.

I am sad that they basically completely ignored what happend in Separate Ways. Guess we will never know what is S, who Ada works for, and how Wesker reacted to being betrayed. That kind of sucked cause without that stuff, RE4 is basically pointless, it just introduced Las Plagas.

I am not a fan of Uroboros, ANOTHER virus, come on you have enough already do something with the ones you have! They keep introducing these viruses and totally discarding them in the next game. I totally forgot how it was created though, there was a file on it but I forgot what it said. It basically did what Wesker went through right, if a host is worthy it will turn them Wesker like but if not they become a giant blob.

Barry, where's Barry? The story is not over until Barry shows up damn it! He should have been flying the helicopter at the end.

As for the actual game, I LOVED IT. I put my expectation level at below RE4, and for a while I thought it should have even lowered it some more. But from chapter 3 on the game completely came into its own, it started having situations and setpieces as fun and imaginative as any of the stuff in RE4. The bosses, they give RE4's bosses a run for their money, visually stunning, it takes boss size to a whole new level. Again the shooting stuff never bothered me. The cover system was like RE4, I never felt confused or lost, it was simply a way to hide while bullets went flying around, it provided for some great sniper moments. Chapter 5-1 was easily the best, Lickers, the lab, the files, the boss fight, all so classic RE. The fact that I was bothered by the fact that I was not alone, I always had an AI partner, but still managed to love this game so much shows how well made it was. With online co-op it will even be better, plus there is so much to do after.

I think the best way to describe how I feel about RE5 is how I feel about RE2 and RECV. RE2 is my favorite of the old school but CV is right there. When RE3 came out it was a disappointment when compared to RE2, i dont feel like that with RE5 compared to RE4. When CV hit I loved it, it still wasn't as good as RE2 but it was so great, had such a strong identity and memorable moments that I was completely satisfied. Thats how I feel about RE5.

Just a fyi for anyone having issues with hitting the correct buttons for the quicktime events. You can literally just hit all four faces buttons with your thumb and then the shoulder buttons all at the same time and constantly during a quicktime event sequence and it will work everytime. A friend was having real issues when I figured this out for him. Think of it like button mashing, quick time event style. :lol

Ok, since I'm at college right now, I'm playing on a 15 inch SDTV with shitty speakers. Oh, and split screen since I'm doing co-op with my roomate.

And yet it manages to kick ass. :D

In a few days I'm going back home (with my lovely 50 inch plasma and home theatre system) and I cannot wait to see the difference. It already looks amazing on a SDTV.

the qte bits seem way more forgiving with timing this time around then they were in re4

or maybe i'm just getting better at qte's since developers constantly force me to suffer through them

voltron

So heres something.

I spend god knows how much upgrading key areas of my trusty pistol. And then wait, what the fuck is that? A new pistol!?

FUCK U GAME

I obviously want the better pistol, but you only get around 4k after spending way over 20k upgrading the original.

voltron said:
So heres something.

I spend god knows how much upgrading key areas of my trusty pistol. And then wait, what the fuck is that? A new pistol!?

FUCK U GAME

I obviously want the better pistol, but you only get around 4k after spending way over 20k upgrading the original.

give the original upgraded pistol to sheva. :)

I haven't upgraded ANYTHING yet in my game.

voltron

HorribleJames said:
give the original upgraded pistol to sheva. :)

I haven't upgraded ANYTHING yet in my game.

FUCK Sheva.

Literally. Maybe then Ill give her some good gear.

But seriously, why havent you upgraded? Just started? Am I being a tool complaining about the new pistol thing? It just annoys me. The game should tell you "hang on, before you spend all your cash upgrading that hunk 'o' junk, theres another pistol coming soon to a store near you!".

whateva

Question:

I've played split-screen co-op with a friend up to Chapter 2-2. However, in a few days I want to go play the game solo from the beginning.

How can I do this but save the progress (inventory, money, treasures, etc) I made in the co-op? So that I can jump right back into where I was with my friend?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
voltron said:
So heres something.

FUCK U GAME

You're over thinking it. Stockpile your old weapon and buy the new one. It doesn't really matter, you'll always have enough money to buy what you need. When you see a new weapon, buy it, and stockpile the old one, it doesn't really matter.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
Question:

I've played split-screen co-op with a friend up to Chapter 2-2. However, in a few days I want to go play the game solo from the beginning.

How can I do this but save the progress (inventory, money, treasures, etc) I made in the co-op? So that I can jump right back into where I was with my friend?
You'll need to have either a memory card, or be playing on the same console. The game links your save game (and as such, your inventory) to your profile. When you start a co-op game, it will ask you to sign in to whichever profile you want to play as, as well as where you want to save your game.

voltron

Rez said:
You're over thinking it. Stockpile your old weapon and buy the new one. It doesn't really matter, you'll always have enough money to buy what you need. When you see a new weapon, buy it, and stockpile the old one, it doesn't really matter.

Yeah. Its just years of gaming conditioning that requires my mind to need certain things. Like having the best version of any particular weapon in a game the one that is upgraded.

Youre right though, they do dole out the treasures. (I spent much of my money on critical head shot percentages, like I assume most others do to).

Oh yeah one more complaint about Sheva.... STOP walking in front of me you stupid cunt! I feel like Im playing with an insecure coop partner.

Anyway about to play some coop for the first time later, so looking forward to that.

I always find it amusing watching Chris and Sheva in the cutscenes acting all special agent with their weapons at the ready and walking about. Then when you get to control them they forget all their training and act like newbies (Chris even holds his pistol pointing up which you just don't do, unless you want to shoot yourself in the face).
As for Sheva, I generally have no problems with her. Sure she's somewhat implausibly pretty, but her AI seems able and she's saved me a few times.
As for her weapons she has a pistol and the SMG. If I put her on Attack she uses the SMG and on Cover she uses the Pistol. Seems straight forward to me.

Rez said:
You'll need to have either a memory card, or be playing on the same console. The game links your save game (and as such, your inventory) to your profile. When you start a co-op game, it will ask you to sign in to whichever profile you want to play as, as well as where you want to save your game.

We're playing split-screen on my elite and i've saved it all too my HDD. So i should be fine in resuming in then, right?

senahorse

Rez said:
I was actually pretty creeped out during the beginning of 5-1, most of 6-2 and a bit towards the end of 1-1.

I'd like to see the action RE coexist with the old-school RE. Having the Wii is the perfect excuse to go all out with old school pre rendered backdrops ala REmake and RE0. It boggles my mind that Capcom haven't been making old school RE games.

It would be nice if Capcom did make a new RE in the same fashion as the old games, but they probably see them as being too difficult for today's audience, especially on the Wii, after them saying that UC was too hard in the control department it doesn't really surprise me. Since I haven't played RE0 and REmake in so long I will probably pick up the Wii versions, however it's a shame they won't even support widescreen, though I suppose that could possibly break the game, unless they just cropped the original view.

Shouta

I haven't had an issue with Sheva myself. Mostly because I figured out how the AI works. Once you figure out what it prioritizes, you can give it equipment to best fit your situation. For me, leaving her with a pistol was just dumb, took it away from her. :lol

voltron

x3n05 said:
It would be nice if Capcom did make a new RE in the same fashion as the old games, but they probably see them as being too difficult for today's audience, especially on the Wii, after them saying that UC was too hard in the control department it doesn't really surprise me. Since I haven't played RE0 and REmake in so long I will probably pick up the Wii versions, however it's a shame they won't even support widescreen, though I suppose that could possibly break the game, unless they just cropped the original view.

They fuckn BETTER.

Id be happy with two different games in the Resident Evil universe. One thats like the current Res games (4/5) and one that looks as good but is more focused on puzzles and exploration, and of course hardcore scary as fuck horror.

Or combine the two. Capcom could do it. They are probably one of the finest developers in the world right now. (At the very least in Japan anyway).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
We're playing split-screen on my elite and i've saved it all too my HDD. So i should be fine in resuming in then, right?
You'll be fine then, as long as you had your profile selected while playing co-op. You'll just have to choose continue. Simple as that. :)

Caved in and bought it at work yesterday. Played for damned near five hours straight and hit 3-1. Loving it so far. And the graphics... good lord.

Rez said:
You'll be fine then, as long as you had your profile selected while playing co-op. You'll just have to choose continue. Simple as that. :)

But if I play single-player from the beginning, wouldn't 'continue' take me to whatever I was at in my single-player game? Since I would be using the same profile for both my co-op and solo games?

What happens to my co-op save?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
But if I play single-player from the beginning, wouldn't 'continue' take me to whatever I was at in my single-player game? Since I would be using the same profile for both my co-op and solo games?

What happens to my co-op save?
Oh, wait, I forgot you wanted to start from the beginning. You'll have to pick Chapter Select, and then Chapter 1-1, and you'll start from the beginning, but with your inventory from your previous save. Your co-op save will be over-written to the extent that when you pick continue from that point forward it will start you from Chapter 1-1 or wherever you last saved, but you'll still be able to choose 2-2 from the Chapter Select menu if you wanted to, and, like I said, you'll still have you inventory, as it is linked to your save file and is persistent across any chapter you play.

I hope that makes sense. :lol

MirageDwarf said:
When is stun rod available for purchase? I wanna buy one for Sheva.
You can buy them starting from 3-1.

Top Bottom