• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

MechaX

Played up to the last chapter with a friend today in one sitting originating from Chapter 2-3. So far, the game is cool, but also contains some of the most wildly frustrating moments since a Don't-Shoot-Ever run in Mirror's Edge, mostly stemming from poor enemy design.

1. Capcom, I seriously don't think people liked Lickers that much in RE2 for you to decide to flood entire rooms with them in this game. And the part where you enter the temple in 5-3 I think... Ugh. That part is going to be an absolute nightmare with AI Sheva.

2. Insta-kill bugs = No good. Especially since it's quite possible for them to use their instant kill attack the very moment they land before you can even turn around.

3. Shoving in every single puzzle in one chapter makes things get boring pretty fast.

4. The entire fight with Jill made me realize exactly why super-high speed enemies just don't work with RE tank controls. Jeez, I'd expect this kind of enemy out of Devil May Cry rather than RE. I mean, yeah, it's awesome to have an enemy run off walls and run around like a lunatic cheetah, but it doesn't make things fun for both players when you're clumsily trying to get the restrain command. Wesker was okay mostly because he acted a little bit like Krauser; only does the high speed stuff when evading shots. Jill pretty much runs around the entire stage like a damn lunatic.

Fun game, but it falls prey to some rather.. boneheaded gameplay choices thus far.

Chiggs said:
In the AI world, Sheva is mashing a keyboard and making retard sounds because she's a fucking idiot.

In the AI world, Josh is confused about why he wasn't the main character of the game.

Sheva was all like "Josh taught me everything I know" and I'm wondering why he wasn't my patnah. Josh just made Chris look like more of a bitch.

RE6 should be Josh, Leon and a Time Machine solving old situations the way they should have been solved.

jax (old)

Banned
jill. did anyone else think she looked like nina from tekken/death by degrees. The whole time in that fight, that's all I could think of.

um yes...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jax said:
jill. did anyone else think she looked like nina from tekken/death by degrees. The whole time in that fight, that's all I could think of.

um yes...
I want to know when she went blonde...

I just get the impression there was a team of Japanese people sitting in a room with a copy of Gears of War and 3 issues of People and US weekly as they were designing the characters. Chris needs bigger muscles! Bigger! Bigger! Give him a second dick coming out of his forehead so he can fuck the majini with it while he's looking so manly with that perfectly chiseled chin! Wait, make the chin smaller. No, smaller.

Y2Kev said:
I want to know when she went blonde...

I just get the impression there was a team of Japanese people sitting in a room with a copy of Gears of War and 3 issues of People and US weekly as they were designing the characters. Chris needs bigger muscles! Bigger! Bigger! Give him a second dick coming out of his forehead so he can fuck the majini with it while he's looking so manly with that perfectly chiseled chin! Wait, make the chin smaller. No, smaller.

speaking about Gears of War influence, there is a part in chapter 6 where...well, you probably already know what I'm talking about. I laughed when it happened.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jax said:

um yes...
I just mentioned this to someone.

Yeah, that was the exact thing that came to my mind when I saw her

Jax said:
FINISHED THE GAME

7.5/10 (re4 in comparison was 10/10)

comments on plot
I thought the story resolved itself quite well but I can't get over the fact that they killed wesker... ... I think I feel a little sad, not happy
.... everything else leading up to this was servicable. Fun to a degree, co-op play isn't resident evil and well, I enjoyed it. Its not OMFG awesome that RE4 was to me. The cult/plagas + gothic neo horror setting worked so much nicer in RE4. Not to mention it started in the woods.

The last few fights were ammo dumps, with a human it would have been easier, but AI sheva doesn't seem to understand the whole "shoot X" concept of the final game.

Non of the QTEs in this game met the awesomeness of Krauser. Non of the villians in this game matched the evil gnomey henchman or krauser. RE4 wins!

/sad

Totally agree. RE4 also had Ada. Nonetheless, RE5 is still awesome for giving us RE4 with HD polish and strafing. RE6 really needs something new, though.

Nikorasu

MechaX said:
Played up to the last chapter with a friend today in one sitting originating from Chapter 2-3. So far, the game is cool, but also contains some of the most wildly frustrating moments since a Don't-Shoot-Ever run in Mirror's Edge, mostly stemming from poor enemy design.

1. Capcom, I seriously don't think people liked Lickers that much in RE2 for you to decide to flood entire rooms with them in this game. And the part where you enter the temple in 5-3 I think... Ugh. That part is going to be an absolute nightmare with AI Sheva.

2. Insta-kill bugs = No good. Especially since it's quite possible for them to use their instant kill attack the very moment they land before you can even turn around.

3. Shoving in every single puzzle in one chapter makes things get boring pretty fast.

4. The entire fight with Jill made me realize exactly why super-high speed enemies just don't work with RE tank controls. Jeez, I'd expect this kind of enemy out of Devil May Cry rather than RE. I mean, yeah, it's awesome to have an enemy run off walls and run around like a lunatic cheetah, but it doesn't make things fun for both players when you're clumsily trying to get the restrain command. Wesker was okay mostly because he acted a little bit like Krauser; only does the high speed stuff when evading shots. Jill pretty much runs around the entire stage like a damn lunatic.

Fun game, but it falls prey to some rather.. boneheaded gameplay choices thus far.

1. I thought the "licker rooms" were amazing. They were going for sheer tension and I think they nailed it. You're not supposed to fight them. Fighting one or two was pretty tough I sure as hell took care not to rile the horde and it was one of the most frightening things in the game when you have to kick down the door and see them barreling down the hall after you. So many of them... D:
The temple fight in 5-3 was tough, but I only died about 3 times playing with sheva AI on normal. I just brought out the big guns for that one...I mean that's why you have them right?
2. If you mean the novistador-like things, i was only killed once by them. Their weak spots are pretty obvious and you can kill them pretty easily with a pistol.
3. Sort of agree...it did seem a little imbalanced, but it sort of was appropriate to the setting in a way.
4. I didn't find Jill frustrating at all. She stayed on the ground long enough for you to run up to her and "entreat." Maybe playing with the AI made this fight a lot easier for me because Sheva was always where she needed to be to restrain her. If you actually needed to shoot Jill I would agree with you.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Y2Kev said:
It's because she's just so shitty and stupid that you can't help but love her. Why is it that when she heals herself-- when I'm not even near her-- she asks me if I'm okay in her pensive, inquisitive tone? Why does she yell at me to be careful when she has no health and I have full health? Why does she punctuate, "I need help," as if help was its own sentence? Why does she confirm every major story event exactly after it happens?

Bad guy: MUHAUHAUHA I AM USING X TO DO Y MUHUHAUHA

Sheva: Chris, do you think that they could be using X to do Y?

And instead of Chris telling Sheva to shut the fuck up and get him a cold drink, he never positively confirms her suspicions as if he doesn't know himself. After this game I am 100% sure that Chris is a retard. He's the only one in the freaking world that didn't know exactly who
Duckwoman
was, and he never pieces shit together. Big meathead.

Back to Sheva. "Oh dear me, look at that new beast!" right after a new monster pops up. "Chris, we should be quiet here. LOOOK OUUUUUUT," she screams, before she loudly kicks in a new door. "THANKS PAHTNAH," she says, before she wastes the shotgun rounds I gave her firing six times into a downed majini.

Oh, yes, Sheva, we truly can confirm that you do in fact need

HELLLLP

kaneklapqo6.gif

Ryn

AI Sheva rocked those rocket aiming skills against Wesker, whereas I'd always somehow miss with him.
Sheva has proven herself useful in some areas. Other's she's just...not smart.

CryptiK

I remember a while back
people mentioned that the old zombies return DO YOU ACTUALLY GET TO SEE THEM? or do you just hear them?

one thing I don't think the new director "gets" is surprise. the level design has been good so far, very fun, pretty decent atmosphere and so forth as well... but so far they keep warning me when something bad is about to jump at me, either with a cutscene (such as with the first chainsaw guy) or with the first dogs (they show you the dogs and sheva goes "look, dogs!"). don't they understand that if these things just SUDDENLY jump out at you with ZERO warning, it puts the player on his guard throughout the game and makes the whole experience more exciting.

btw, something funny happened. sheva kicked my ass. I was standing near an enemy that she flip kicked, apparently, and I went flying and hit the ground. cracked me up. I could be mistaken and it was some coincidence and something else actually knocked me donw, but it sure as hell seemed liek she did.

and yes, now that I've played a bit into it, I agree that sheva is wasteful with ammo and it's a bit annoying. however, so far the game has given us enough ammo for sheva to be wasteful, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

How do I give some ammo to Sheva? It either everything or nothing. She starts acting crazy again. Now, whenever she picks ammo first, she doesn't keep it for herself. Instantly gives me. She is always out of ammo and crying for help. Fuck this retarded AI.

I missed one machine gun in chapter 1-1. It doesn't show up in item management either. Will I get another chance to pick it up or to buy it without restarting a game?

jsrv

MirageDwarf said:
How do I give some ammo to Sheva? It either everything or nothing. She starts acting crazy again. Now, whenever she picks ammo first, she doesn't keep it for herself. Instantly gives me. She is always out of ammo and crying for help. Fuck this retarded AI.
Open up item inventory (The one with the hotkey for weapons) and select an item you want to give. Press X and then go to Give. 360 version is probably more or less the same

I think it also only works if you are near her

Blablurn

started a second playthrough with a friend yesterday. online co-op is so awesome. we're playing on veteran to win the trophy and it's a great experience- especially with improved guns :>

but
I really hope they are going to use real zombies in RE6. Maybe fast running zombies like in 28 Weeks Later. that would be awesome!

The Licker Room was so awesome!!! AWESOME!

jsrv said:
Open up item inventory (The one with the hotkey for weapons) and select an item you want to give. Press X and then go to Give. 360 version is probably more or less the same

I think it also only works if you are near her

I'm searching on the net and I think there is some magic number for each weapon.

Handgun - 30

Rifle - 10

SMG - 100

So she will get ammo in increment of these numbers.

MrOctober

Banned
MirageDwarf said:

I missed one machine gun in chapter 1-1. It doesn't show up in item management either. Will I get another chance to pick it up or to buy it without restarting a game?

Go back and play 1-1 again it will be there again. Just keep it this time.

MrOctober

Banned
AnonymousNoob said:
Uh, what the hell?

Since when do chainsaw d00ds come back to life?

That happens randomly (more so on Veteran) and it's fucking awesome. If you hear the chainsaw still revving they will come back.

phalestine

aka iby.h
MrOctober said:
That happens randomly (more so on Veteran) and it's fucking awesome. If you hear the chainsaw still revving they will come back.

Shit, was it like that in re4 too? I dont mind fighting them, I just hate that chainsaw sounds, I try to keep a safe distance from them.

chriskun said:
This may have been complained about/asked already, but is there anyway to start a lobby before starting the game, or do i have to start the game and then invite my friend??
Well, your game is the lobby, it's drop-in and drop-out. When your friend tries to join the game it will give you the option of restarting with them or the option to make them wait until the next checkpoint. Since it's only 2 players and you can choose to restart the level when they enter I don't see the point of a lobby

MrOctober

Banned
iby.h said:
Shit, was it like that in re4 too? I dont mind fighting them, I just hate that chainsaw sounds, I try to keep a safe distance from them.

Not that I know of (I played RE4 countless times) I'm pretty sure this exclusive to RE5.

demigod

ezekial45 said:
I was pleasantly surprised by that too.

Me 3. He whacked me when he got up.

The AI is really effed up. I REALLY wish I could tell her what to equip. I give her a shotgun and MG and she equips the damn pistol against the pack of dog/hyenas. I tell her to cover and she goes ahead. I let her do the crank and she kills all of them, I thought she was going to die since I climbed up to look for the crank, lol. I just don't like that she's wasting bullets on ME, because I'm meleeing the mobs.

Veteran is really hard on first playthrough, oh well it's lasting me a LONG time at least.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
All this complaining about AI Sheva is annoying. The game was advertised as a co-op game. Play the game how it was meant to be played. It's like someone calling Left 4 Dead shitty after only having played the single player.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, just finished it. My score is an 8/10.

I get the feeling the only reason Sheva is in the game is due to a rather lamebrain effort on Capcom's part to pour water on the racial firestorm. Jill Valentine's role in the plot felt tacked on. And she deserves more than that.

Playtime was 15:01

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'll finish this game tomorrow, when I wake up. I really want to know what the fuck Capcom was doing with some of the shit they added in the game.

So...yea. Bosses. Easy as fuck. They have all taken less skill to kill than any of the ones in RE4. They aren't as good either. I did have fun fighting Irvin though.

Why are there so many lickers in this game? The first section was creepy enough, and I like how it was one of the only genuinely eerie areas. It was one of the only two sections that even remotely resembled some type of horror aspect. The second area being parts of the tribal village. But yea...why no hunters or anything else?

The death animations are terrible in comparison to RE4. Seriously.

I kinda dig the gears segments. Had fun with my friend, but...it lead to this comment we both made:

This isn't resident evil anything anymore...

I mean, RE4 was stretching it. It managed to retain the horror feel. This shit is less creepy than RE4 was, and has way less atmosphere.

Wtf was on jill's chest, and how is she still alive after they pulled it off? Clearly it was rooted deep in her chest...

LOL @ 1 hit kill bugs. Seriously, getting KO'd as soon as the bug drops is retarded as hell. I do like them better than the novistadors.

Wish we could have the chance to actually kill the old zombies. I kinda felt bad for them when I saw them. :(

Also...I LOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEE Sniper rifles in this game. Love them more than in RE4. God...upgraded rifles = destruction.

Edit: Sheva owns. Fuck the hate!

Rez said:
All this complaining about AI Sheva is annoying. The game was advertised as a co-op game. Play the game how it was meant to be played. It's like someone calling Left 4 Dead shitty after only having played the single player.

But isn't L4D's buddy AI surprisingly competent?

Like, possibly better than live people you have access to?

That said, the main reason I'm playing single player first is to:

A) Get all of the items. THEY'RE MINE, ALL MINE!

B) Experience the game without someone VOIPing in my ear.

After this run, it will most certainly be nothing but co-op.

Chiggs

Gold Member
U K Narayan said:
Heh. No.

She's fucking dumb.

She's completely worthless. Case in point: when she runs off and starts smashing crates, then only takes, say, some ammo, but leaves the gold for you...so you have to walk to where she is and retrieve it yourself. While this is happening, she just stands there looking at you.

I think Capcom deserves an "S" rating for creating the most believeable "retarded dog" AI ever. That's what Sheva is: a retarded dog. While finishing the game tonight, that's what I came away with.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I like her as a character. I'm playing co-op with a friend, so I'm not dealing with the AI. LOL

I didn't have a problem playing with her solo. She's no alex vance, but still.

Rez said:

RE5 single player would be 50x better if Sheva even approached the AI in L4D.

ZeoVGM

Banned
omg rite said:
So guys, I grabbed the collector's edition today, because I didn't want that to slip by.

For those who beat it, should I beat RE4 first? I only got like 3/4 through the original, as amazing as it was, my GameCube died and I never got around to finishing it.

Nothing guys? : (

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Red Blaster said:
RE5 single player would be 50x better if Sheva even approached the AI in L4D.
But then there's the inevitability of people whinging because "the game is playing itself". The AI works so well in L4D because of how simple the base gameplay is in relation to RE5.

It's a lose lose scenario, ultimately. Long story short: AI in games will always behave like a retarded step-child in relation to real human interaction. So play with a human and take the AI out of the equation.

VegaShinra

Well I just finished the game myself on Veteran. Was an absolute blast.

Also, who thinks
Wesker is actually gone for good? Can they really kill him off like that?

So I just went back and played some earlier levels with some random people online, as opposed to my RL friend...

Do people not realize the point is to not blow every damn zombie's head off? Me and some random quiet guy were playing Chapter 2-2, at the part after the crank gates where you're rushed. I swear he spawned 5 head monsters, he just kept shooting their faces off with the rifle, then backing into corners. All I can say is thank god for the shotgun.

Loxley

demigod said:
Me 3. He whacked me when he got up.

The AI is really effed up. I REALLY wish I could tell her what to equip. I give her a shotgun and MG and she equips the damn pistol against the pack of dog/hyenas.

I actually found a way to keep Sheva from, more or less, wasting ammo; I sold her pistol. As such she doesn't even bother running off and stealing pistol ammo and wasting it. I kept the shotgun and pistol, and as such horded all the ammo for myself, and gave Sheva the Rifle and SMG, she's actually a getter shot with the rifle than me :p

It's worked out pretty well. She whips out the rifle at the appropriate times and actually goes through the SMG ammo pretty conservatively, she doesn't just spray and pray, she actually bursts enemies. Not a perfect solution, she's still pretty dense, but ammo-wise it did help just getting rid of her damn handgun.

Man, Yahtzee is going to have a field day with RE5 ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
omg rite said:
Nothing guys? : (
If I were you, I'd play through RE5 first. The link between the stories is very thin, and nothing that happens in RE5 will spoil RE4.

But do play RE4 at some point though, it is one of the best games ever made and all that jazz.

Rez said:
But then there's the inevitability of people whinging because "the game is playing itself". The AI works so well in L4D because of how simple the base gameplay is in relation to RE5.

It's a lose lose scenario, ultimately. Long story short: AI in games will always behave like a retarded step-child in relation to real human interaction. So play with a human and take the AI out of the equation.

Heh, funny you mention that.

I basically assigned Sheva to the mounted guns during the fight against
Mark Hamill
and she did most of the damage, while I just walked around dodging stuff or covering her from
tentacles
while she shot
Mark Hamill

Chiggs

Gold Member
Loxley said:
I kept the shotgun and pistol, and as such horded all the ammo for myself, and gave Sheva the Rifle and SMG, she's actually a getter shot with the rifle than me

This is what I did, too. She's such a twat.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Rez said:
If I were you, I'd play through RE5 first. The link between the stories is very thin, and nothing that happens in RE5 will spoil RE4.

But do play RE4 at some point though, it is one of the best games ever made and all that jazz.

Yeah, that's all I wanted to know, is if I needed RE4's story to play RE5.

Definitely one of the best games ever made. I only had a quarter of the game left to play, and my GC broke. I'm going to get back around to it on Wii eventually.

Top Bottom