• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

You get so much extra gold on professional mode. I'm going through it at the moment single player with infinite ammo on certain weapons obviously. Going pretty well so far.

Played it with myself for a while, had fun, certainly worth the purchase.

Convinced my wife to play it with me, and suddenly it became one of the best games I had ever played. You can't compare it to RE 4 because it becomes a totally different game at that point; they could have easily changed out the characters and called it something else. But that element adds such a new, awesome dimension that RE 4 didn't have... it'd be hard to rank RE 4 higher. Or rank them at all, since the experiences are so different with the multiplayer element.

It's just a totally different game. The co-op adds so many great, laugh-out-loud moments and a whole new level to the strategy that single player barely scratches the surface of.

So more than half way through it, I'd say single-player, it's a 9. If you have somebody to play it with...

It's an eleven.

mattso

I don't know about some people but I like working towards a goal. Makes replaying more fun while collecting my money for upgrading guns. No exploits for me.

I've only used inf. ammo once when I had to replay one chapter for the 3rd time in a row because I was an idiot and kept missing a bsaa emblem.

Davey Cakes

Just finished Shanty Town.

I'm really enjoying these first parts of the game. The atmosphere is what I've always expected from RE5, just without any horror gameplay elements.

I will say that the inventory system bugs me, just as I thought it would. Not game-breaking, though.

The single player experience is pretty strong. Definitely better than some people made it out to be. Sheva's AI can be bothersome at times, but that was expected. And, when the AI is actually smart, the game's a blast.

zoukka said:
Who the fuck brainstormed that money exploiting and single save file? His balls should be collected :mad:

I don't understand how the money exploiting thing is considered a glitch. You don't have to do it. It's not like you start the game and suddenly find you've got a million bucks in your pocket.

It's an option that's there if you want it, presumably for gamers like me who want to be able to use good guns the whole time, even if it shortens the game. That's my option; I can grind for gold and upgrade everything ahead of the curve, or I can play it as a terrified couple in the dark, out of ammo and running for our lives. They've left me that choice, I can play it either way. I thank them for it.

And the limited upgrade system does make a difference, you can only upgrade the weapons so far before you advance levels.

But the ability to quit, save and keep the stuff you gathered so far is clearly an intentional design decision, because you have several levels where you're given bullets and cash before enemies arrive. If you want to exploit it, it's there. But nobody is making you.

eshwaaz

Duck Amuck said:
The lack of gore is disheartening. RE4 had the best game over screens in a game. Period. I died on purpose to see the gore, it was that amazing. RE5 doesn't even have decapitations, something even RE1 on the psx had. Rarely any disembowels. I never saw Chris or Sheva get cut in half either. Even in RE1, you're cut in half or swallowed whole by a friggin huge snake. Ridiculous.

I would also die on purpose just to see the brilliant Leon-death animations in RE 4, so hearing this is extremely disappointing. It's just one more aspect that's keeping me from buying RE 5.

I've been keeping up with thread regularly, as I'm still on the fence as to whether I should purchase it or not. Some comments make it sound like a game I'd really enjoy in spite of some annoyances, while others address issues that so specifically irritate me that I just can't commit. I can't remember every being so torn on a purchase, and as a long-time RE fan, it's extra painful.

eso76

Pojo said:
I disagree completely (the characters almost look like caricatures, with very exaggerated facial expressions), but it looks good nonetheless. It's well animated, but MGS was far more natural.

heh i honestly think no other game compares as far as main character's "acting" goes, not even close really. Well, not really talking about the quality of the 'acting' itself, rather the number of facial muscles moving. I don't think facial expessions are exaggerated, they're just perfectly translated to 3d models, which can look strange on some characters (especially on Chris - his face is just weird at times) and incredibly natural on others (Sheva, Excella especially. Holy shit, her acting is way, like way beyond what any other videogame character's has ever attempted achieving).
To be honest i always thought a lot of mgs4 chracters often looked like mannequins, Snakes' wrinkles often looked like they were painted on his face and he generally looked 'wrong' to me: Otacon on the other hand was an impressive achievment for example, but overall i was far more impressed with mgs3 cutscenes and characters: the look on big boss face as he walks into the room and refuses to shake hands with the president is one of the few moments deserving a place in the history of videogames, and The Boss is probably still the most "powerful" and believable female 3d model ever. Mgs4 had nothing like that, imo. I believe most Mgs4 characters faces had too much detail on them, and too few moving parts to look natural. Mgs3 ones had a much better detail/bones balance, I generally am against trying to depict realistic characters in videogames, because they always turn out weird, MGS3 and RE5 are the only cases where they didn't turn out creepy imo.

oh well, not meaning to start a mgs4 vs re5 debate, obviously, It's just that mgs is always bound to be the term of comparison when it comes to cutscenes.

TheExodu5

Banned
eso76 said:
all real time.
A hint of screen tearing here and there and the fact alt. outfits on main characters show in cutscenes confirms it.
Biggest improvement compared to ingame graphics seems to be lighting, which is just amazing.
i've been watching (all of) them again and some parts are so realistic and natural looking you won't even notice the unbelievable amount of stuff going on. From a techical pov this just destroys MGS4 (which i've also been re-watching lately).. Facial animation and lip sync in re5 truly are light years beyond anything i've seen,

I'm almost thinking they'd have to be a mix. If they're 100% real time, I'm absolutely astounded. I'm guessing the models are overlayed (like in FF7), with some very clever filters applied.

Prine

Banned
I dont think any game comes close to RE5 fire effects. Looks better than real fire.

Actually, i remember RE4 holding the crown for best fire. Not anymore

Its one the best effects i've seen this gen

DrBo42

So having played and loved RE4, is this worth picking up? I have keys in-hand and am ready to deal with Gamestop employees. I love co-op too.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
DrBo42 said:
So having played and loved RE4, is this worth picking up? I have keys in-hand and am ready to deal with Gamestop employees. I love co-op too.

Absolutely. Anyone who says otherwise is nuts.

Prine

Banned
DrBo42 said:

Was RE4 worth picking up at the time? This should answer your question

robot

Prine said:
I dont think any game comes close to RE5 fire effects. Looks better than real fire.

The way barrels explode in this game is unreal. Like Lost Planet but so much flashier.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm confused on how to beat the
boss that you battle with the flamethrower

I shoot the bubbley parts and then burn it with the flamethrower. Is that not right?

DrBo42

Prine said:

This gets me hot.

I have to agree with a lot of people that co-op is the way to go for the real experience. There are so many parts in the game that I either wouldn't have wanted to do with AI or that were just extremely enhanced by having a human partner playing.

I did find the narrative and storytelling to be really mixed. It felt like they didn't have a firm grasp on how to correctly pace the game early on but eventually found their way. Character development was atrocious even by RE standards too. They also seemed to know how to make really good action packed or tense situations but never managed to make anything scary. Also, can't say I was a fan of turning
Jill
into Nina Williams but that ultimately wasn't a big deal.

Overall it was a fun game and a really good experience. Quality wise, if RE4 was Robocop then RE5 was Robocop 2. Still good but...y'know...

{Mike}

Banned
Finished it.

Chapter 5 ruins this game for me. So much crap.

Every idea = recycled from RE4. NO imagination at all. Fuck you Takeuchi.

Also Sheva's AI on veteran is so much bullshit

First4 chapters were fine, but omg the end game sucks so much

Amir0x

Banned
Resident Evil 5 is gorgeous.

I am almost to the end now, and I don't want to be... but everything great must end. I will extend it five hundred hours with Mercenaries and later: VERSUS

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Playing through the game again and still not tired. So, so awesome. The game is easily more replayable than RE4 thanks to better setpieces and slightly shorter length that hits the right spot.

This is going to be my most played game this gen, I am sure of that, unless Capcom comes out with an even better RE6 soon.

neoism

TheExorzist said:
Well, the serie won't (without a doubt) ever be as it once where. Only seeing how much people seem to love the Coop here tells me that the series never EVER will be pure single player again.

On top of this I will never ever be able to play any of the old parts without knowing that Wesker

is a FUCKING EXPERIMENT or whatsoever.

This is so god damn riddiculus and makes so little sense when looking at the old parts I almost started crying after game revealed this.
CreepyTree030109a.jpg

Neiteio

Fantastical said:
I'm confused on how to beat the
boss that you battle with the flamethrower

I shoot the bubbley parts and then burn it with the flamethrower. Is that not right?
Just burn it. With incendiary grenades, blown-up oil drums or the flamethrower. Targeting the orange bulb seems best for slowing it down when you're working your way around the room to the flamethrower.

And man, the flamethrower is so amazing. It eats other games' flamethrowers for breakfast. The stream is a thick, pulpy blend of smoke and flame several feet in diameter. Loosing a gushing torrent of smoldering death and roasting
Uroboros
at point-blank range is so satisfying. God golly it's great.

Later tonight I'll start 5-3. So far I've loved every level. I don't think I could pick a favorite, although the sense of place in Chapter 1's shanty towns was very memorable, especially the very first town in the sunlight. And the
underground ruins
of Chapter 4 are simply jaw-dropping in their beauty. It's the Temple of Doom meets Resident Evil! And holy shit at the starting area of 5-1, and everything that followed, and how the level ended. Definitely a best-level contender.

I'm still reeling from
U-8
at the end of 5-1. Was anyone else blown away by
U-8
? The way it just TOWERS over you, this monstrous almagation of every crustacean/arachnid imaginable, and thunders about like a whirling dervish of three-story pincers and claws, was just such a full experience, filling up the screen with copious amounts of living, breathing detail. A friend passing by staggered to a stop when he saw the screen. And it turns out there were QTE opportunities I missed to stuff grenades in the behemoth's maw. I gotta go back and try that!

USD

Stoney Mason said:
Jeez. They couldn't have localized that to the term most American/Euro gamers are familar with...
Calling it friendly fire would be a bit of a misnomer. The only way that you can actually damage your teammate is with explosive attacks and the electric boxes (which always hurt your partner, regardless of whether attack reaction is turned on or not). With attack reaction on, your teammate absorbs bullet attacks, preventing you from shooting through him. If you do a melee attack with your partner in front of you, you will most likely knock him over.

TheCardPlayer

Loxley

I'm surprised more reviews haven't pin-pointed the cut-scenes as a positive (or mentioned them at all), they're the easily some of the best I've ever seen. The virtual steady-cam worked perfectly, they achieved a form of cinematic quality that I've never come across before in a game.

As such, I was elated when i found out that you can go can go and just watch the cut-scenes like a scene-selection from a DVD :D

*Side note: Holy fuck @ the lighting in this game. It eerily approaches photo-realism in quite a few places.

Yama

First DUO mode attempt with my friend Detrimantix:

detrime1.jpg

Will continue to break apart the mode in hopes of at least a Top 10, but for now the first North American on the Top 100 is nice. It'll slide rather quickly though.

Anyone know the bonus requirements? Time left? Bonus Time counts towards the total if it is still running? Lots to learn, fun doing so though!

GC|Simon

I just saw the ending. It's a very good game, but not nearly as good as Resident Evil 4. Part of my critic:

- to many areas, RE4 had three really big areas and they were all logical connected. Also they had a better design. Some parts of RE5 feel a bit generic.
- where are the great charakters? Sure, Chris is great, Wesker and
Jill
, too. But when I remember Slazar, Krauser & Co. I feel taht something is missing in RE5
- it isn't scary anymore. RE4 was scary: After the first fight with El Gigante and on the islands with this Regenerados

Anyway, great game. But not one of the best games ever.

Loxley said:
*Side note: Holy fuck @ the lighting in this game. It eerily approaches photo-realism in quite a few places.

Hell yes. The lighting during the
second Uroboros fight (especially when your character pushes a gas canister, the lighting from the floor looks real) and Excella fight
are just mind-blowing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Beat it last night on Veteran.

That shit was AWESOME. I played single player, and half the time my mouth was open. My play time for veteran was like 14 hours and change. Game felt pretty long to me. The environments were varied and beautiful. I particularly liked
the tribal ruins. I loved the worship area, and the cave before how all the bats flew around. So many nice details. Also, the volcano area at the end was insane. Best lava ever!

The game is addicting as hell. I LOVE the fact that you can actually "grind" the game and level up and build up inventory and money. I was stuck on the last level because i had no money and limited ammo, and so rather than being frustrated by never beating it, i took a break from the chapter and returned to early in the game started stocking up, getting treasures and selling them and getting ammo. One of the best things about the game is the persistent upgrade system. Im a collector and i love filling up my item box.

I only had issues with the controls on one boss fight, because i felt they were stretching what you could do a bit. The people saying the single player is ruined because of the coop.....i thought this a few times, but then tried a few things and found for every boss they specifically coded the character to fill a role. The boss almost became easy once i learned how to use the AI partner. I'd say overall Sheva was actually one of the better AI partners. There was one time she kept getting stuck on this conveyor belt and that pissed me off, but that was rare.

The game is definitely every bit the big blockbuster event for detail whores. You could spend hours just looking at all the fine details in the levels. And the character figurine viewer is so awesome. The graphics are some of the best i've seen. And the boss battles are really epic.
I loved the tentacle monster on the ship, with all the spotlights flying around, it felt like classic monster movie. It looked so good. I also liked the Wesker fight at the end. When he stuck his arms into he ground and the giant tentacles came up, and that awesome motion blur effect came on. Looked like prerendered cg.

If there was one disappointment i had it was the ending.
if this was supposed to wrap up their storylines, they sure did a shitty job with a 1 minute cutscene showing them fly off into the sunset.
I thought the cinematics overall were fantastic, really only second to the Metal Gear games for real-time action.

I see myself playing this a while getting the unlockables and upgrading my weapons. People are crazy if they dont like this game. I cant believe its actually gotten 8's.

Also, what does mercenaries unlock beside giving points to buy stuff in the bonus page? I mean i can get points just playing the main game. There are a bunch of things that need to be unlocked in the bonus page, but all the requirements are basically BSAA emblems.

razorman

Finished the game, enjoyed it in single player, and co-op is sure to be a blast. I would agree with other posters that while it may not have the same impact as RE4 as a overall experience, the gameplay is top-notch. The visuals are incredible, this is definitely the graphical benchmark for others devs to aspire to now in my opinion.

With Wesker gone, what becomes of Sherry Birkin - and Steve Burnside for that matter?

careksims

Yeah the music isn't that good. I miss the old save music, but still so pieces were epic. I actually love replaying some of the levels with upgraded weapons and inf ammo. Mwahahaha! 2nd favorite game of this year. Maybe they should 2 kinds of RE. One like this and the other like the old kinds or try their hardest to do a hybrid for 6.

And for 6: Put the horror back in!

eso76

TheExodu5 said:
I'm almost thinking they'd have to be a mix. If they're 100% real time, I'm absolutely astounded. I'm guessing the models are overlayed (like in FF7), with some very clever filters applied.

i also thought they might have done that, but then there's tearing and slowdown..plus some of the cutscenes involve bosses and some of them will look different depending on how you wounded them (5,1)
it's all real time, besides, while better looking than ingame, it's still comparable.the kind of difference you would expect from ingame with physics and ai and a fully controlled and predetermined environment.
heck, but i would expect 1 on 1 beat em ups to look like that nowadays,,,well, fight night maybe does.

but enough talking about cutscenes, playing mercenaries now and it rocks.
definately a great game, while not on par with re4 and especially with what re4 represented back when it was released,

it pisses me off they wasted el gigante like that though, and there's nothing memorable about the sountrack. but this is often the case with games getting longer and resorting to orchestrated action movie soundtrack playing in the background. actually though,the musicwhich plays in the chapter complete screen basically is a rearrangement of the save room music.

question: how do i earn points used to unlock special items and action figures besides mercenaries ? and how do i unlock figures themselves ?

Hey, has anyone else encounter this bug? (Or if it's not a bug what happened)

Playing as Sheva in online co-op and
finally defeated Wesker at the end of the game.
When it got the 6-3 evaluation screen and it showed no grade for Sheva. I didn't get the achievements either. When I go to continue it says New Game+ and I have the end game cutscenes in the cutscenes area.

Just don't want to go through that battle in SP.

TheCardPlayer

GC|Simon said:
- where are the great charakters? Sure, Chris is great, Wesker and
Jill
, too. But when I remember Slazar, Krauser & Co. I feel taht something is missing in RE5
Excella and Irving are better villains and characters than Salazar and Saddler. Far, far better. One of the game's best points is the lack of over the top, bland villains.

Zeouterlimits said:
Hey, has anyone else encounter this bug? (Or if it's not a bug what happened)

Playing as Sheva in online co-op and
finally defeated Wesker at the end of the game.
When it got the 6-3 evaluation screen and it showed no grade for Sheva. I didn't get the achievements either. When I go to continue it says New Game+ and I have the end game cutscenes in the cutscenes area.

Just don't want to go through that battle in SP.

Happened to me in a couple of subchapters due to Live kicking me out of the party for unknown reasons. Did you jump into it midway? If so, you won't get the achievement. You need to do the whole subchapter from the beginning, no jumping into checkpoints.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TheCardPlayer said:
Excella and Irving are better villains and characters than Salazar and Saddler. Far, far better. One of the game's best points is the lack of over the top, bland villains.

true that.

Excella is/
was
easily one of the best new character additions to the series.

chandoog said:
true that.

Excella is/
was
Hows that? She first shows up in the far second half of the game and even then has barely a dialog....

jax (old)

Banned
chandoog said:
true that.

Excella is/
was

Totally unbelievable how a hot italian bird with a perfect bun and wearing that dress would be a mad psyciopathic type. I mean, she had no "mental" issues like the CV female
male/cross dressing
lead.

Top Bottom