• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Kusagari

TheCardPlayer said:
Excella and Irving are better villains and characters than Salazar and Saddler. Far, far better. One of the game's best points is the lack of over the top, bland villains.

Lack of over the top villains? Irving is more over the top than any villain in RE4. Not even Salazar can match
I JUST GOT AN EXTREME MAKEOVER

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You're nuts if you think that
Irving or Excella (Excella? wtf?)
are better than Salazar. Salazar ROCKS. Mrrrr. scotttt kenneddddy. Your right hand comes off?

The extreme makeover line was hilarious, but the rest of Irving's crap is so stupid. Fireworks!! BOOOOOOM. And his retarded stare...I thought the whole gag was that he was retarded.

Grimm Fandango said:
Happened to me in a couple of subchapters due to Live kicking me out of the party for unknown reasons. Did you jump into it midway? If so, you won't get the achievement. You need to do the whole subchapter from the beginning, no jumping into checkpoints.
I did though :-/...

Oh well I'll try again.

Haven't started the game yet (Will start tonight.) I got the RE Elite 360 as a gift and I have to say the Kiujuju Premium Theme that is included is very very sweet. I wonder if they will put it on the marketplace anytime soon.

Ganondorfo

Y2Kev said:
are better than Salazar. Salazar ROCKS. Mrrrr. scotttt kenneddddy. Your right hand comes off?

The extreme makeover line was hilarious, but the rest of Irving's crap is so stupid. Fireworks!! BOOOOOOM. And his retarded stare...I thought the whole gag was that he was retarded.

YOU TOOOOOOO MEIKIIIIIIIIII MIIIII LOOOOOOOOOOOOK BADDDDDD

Neiteio

Excella's hot, but that doesn't make it unbelievable that she'd do what she does. She seems to take a perverse pleasure in dominance. I suspect she's a sadist; the soft pur of her voice as she watches
that man turn into Uroboros
suggests she derives pleasure from destroying lives.

Also, kudos to Capcom for being mature and NOT fixing the camera squarely on Excella's "ballistics" in every shot. In most shots the camera was ABOVE Excella's chest, focusing on her expressive face instead (and her face is possibly the best in the game; the smugness is palpable when she says "vigilante mission"). Then again, the camera seems to have a fetish for Sheva's patooty, so maybe it's a matter of the DOP's taste in women...

And people, I haven't experienced ANY framerate problems with the PS3 version. Smooth as silk for me. It seemed only the slightest bit choppy in the opening cutscene, and that was only the first time I viewed it. I rewatch it now and it doesn't happen, so maybe I imagined things. Either way, the framerate for both single-player and splitscreen co-op has been rock-solid on the PS3 version so far. Also, I looked at HD videos of the 360's marshlands and the water looks identical to the PS3 version. All this hoopla is a bit inane.

MirageDwarf said:
Is melee vest worth buying? It costs 10,000 gold. Want to make sure before I purchase it.

Absolutely IMO.

If you find yourself getting hit by melee guys a lot, it will help. Reduces melee damage by half or so I think.

Synless

JB1981 said:
Is it true that the PS3 version received a patch and it improved the frame rate? ......
I don't think so, but with that said, the PS3 versions framerate really isn't that bad at all. It's been far overblown.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just read through some more pages of this thread. I love the "objective" reviews. Hilarious. :lol

Risette

A Good Citizen
Synless said:
I don't think so, but with that said, the PS3 versions framerate really isn't that bad at all.
Agreed, I'm at 5-1 and I haven't noticed anything pointed out in the comparisons. Except for the water, which was really bad looking in places.

Synless said:
I don't think so, but with that said, the PS3 versions framerate really isn't that bad at all. It's been far overblown.

It really has ...and it does HAVE VSYNC, so to me it's worth it.

Not to mention loadtimes are really small and the whole reflective water thing in the boat level was ...well just stupid as the water itself is reflective

Synless

AgentOtaku said:
It really has ...and it does HAVE VSYNC, so to me it's worth it.

Not to mention loadtimes are really small and the whole reflective water thing in the boat level was ...well just stupid as the water itself is reflective
I did notice the water does reflect, but I think it's just bad water overall, on both versions. That said I think the framerate on the PS3 is far better deal then the screen tearing on the 360. This is opinion of course, so it's really not up for debate as some of you will most likely try and do.

careksims

JB1981 said:
Is it true that the PS3 version received a patch and it improved the frame rate? ......

I received an update when I popped in on launch day, but I don't what it does. Still... What framerate issues? Throughout the whole game I never even noticed any of that. Never even saw any screen-tearing either. I agree that that the whole frame rate issues are overblown. Sheesh!

The only hiccups that happen was when either me or my friend's connection would lag or something.l That's about it. It's totally playable and I really love the sniping. It's satisfying sniping them as they run.

I can't comment on the MGS4/RE5 model comparisons, but I can say these are awesome models. Love them!

Edit: Talkin' about the PS3 version.

schick85 said:
Is it me or did the character models in RE5 blow MGS4 out of the water.
I mean they were so lively!
I wouldn't say they blow them out of the water at all, I find snake's model superior to any in RE5, but for the rest, I would say its up there...very impressive looking game. I'm hoping Uncharted 2 will up the ante from here (expect it to as well)...Kind of wish the game was seamless like uncharted though

Synless

One thing that has been bothering me lately is the inventory system. I have to carry so much stuff at any given time and when I need to pick something else up I don't have room. The problem with this comes with the fact my friends I play with keep everything as well so it's not like we can swap stuff. Other than that the game is fantastic. I give it a 9/10 and I haven't even beat it yet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
why are you guys complaining about the water, its marsh water, its dirty, its not meant to look nice ..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The water looked absolutely fantastic in the 360 version, with the exception of the bit where you can run out in the water in 2-1 and the mines in 2-2.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Synless said:
I did notice the water does reflect, but I think it's just bad water overall, on both versions. That said I think the framerate on the PS3 is far better deal then the screen tearing on the 360. This is opinion of course, so it's really not up for debate as some of you will most likely try and do.

Screen tearing on 360 pops up rarely, if at all on certain levels. There were 2 boss fights where there was slight tearing, but thats the last thing you notice with so much going on. I couldnt imagine playing this game with anything less than a silky smooth 30fps the 360 has. Also, loading is almost non-existant if you install the game on the 360. Installing probably takes less time than the mandatory install on the ps3.

I just got to Chapter 4 and I've got to say the AI for me hasn't been that bad once taken off Cover mode. I put Sheva on Attack since I was really low on health after 3-2 while I was running for my life. 3-3 she ran around killing enemies with a Shotgun Sniper till she found handgun ammo and health, and brought both to me. I don't know of anyone on my friends list who would've acted so loyally :lol. I took her handgun away because she'd just unload clips into their stomachs - high firepower weapons are her friend. I was surprised when I told her to man a turret and that not only was she smart enough to jump down and help me release a lever but also to go back up to the turret and cover me while I was scouring for much needed ammo.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Y2Kev said:

Weapon dealer and phamaceutical company CEO = Resident Evil
Napoleonian Midget = What the fuck is that shit?

I love RE4 but I prefer Resident Evil. And RE5 is RE. RE4 was a big, dumb over the top adventure. It was agressively stupid but it was fun. But good writing? It had none.

And it's my favorite game ever.

Just hit the El Gigante fight, once again the game cop-outs. Why didn't they let us fight it RE4 style before running to the Humvee?

Also I've had zero issues with framerate on the PS3 version. The Public Assembly area was much smoother than in the demo.

This game is awesome... it's like MGS4 without the sneaking around and the overblown expository cutscenes (which I love, no trollin here).
schick85 said:
Is it me or did the character models in RE5 blow MGS4 out of the water.
I mean they were so lively!
IMO, yes. The character models look GREAT.

Neiteio

~Kinggi~ said:
Screen tearing on 360 pops up rarely, if at all on certain levels. There were 2 boss fights where there was slight tearing, but thats the last thing you notice with so much going on. I couldnt imagine playing this game with anything less than a silky smooth 30fps the 360 has. Also, loading is almost non-existant if you install the game on the 360. Installing probably takes less time than the mandatory install on the ps3.
Installing the PS3 version took about a minute or two. Now the loading screens appear for a couple seconds, and some are literally a splitsecond. It's great.

Really, there's nothing wrong with the PS3 version. No slowdown at all so far, in either single-player or co-op splitscreen. It's silky smooth all the way through. And the water looks the same as the 360 version. It looks good in the marshlands, and not-so-good in 2-1 and 2-2, which as Rez points out is the same in the 360 version. Both versions should note their water looks the way it does because it's overcast; the water in the streams behind in Public Assembly, by contrast, sparkles because the sun's out.

Add in the best controller for the game (for me the Dualshock is closest to the GCN controller), better sound and free online, and anyone not picking up the PS3 version because they think it's "broken" are fooling themselves. Both versions of the game are great; get whichever one you think you'll find more people to play with and be HAPPY.

zenbot

~Kinggi~ said:
I dunno, man. I'm only a couple of levels into the 360 version and the tearing has been pretty distracting. (I am pretty sensitive to screen tearing, though, I will admit.)

Has the PC port been confirmed yet? I'm looking forward to giving Capcom yet more money for it, heh!

~Kinggi~ said:

Rarely for you? Happens during most cutscenes for me and I installed it. Heck even viewing figurines I see it.

Red Blaster said:
Also I've had zero issues with framerate on the PS3 version. The Public Assembly area was much smoother than in the demo.

Yeah it's ALOT smoother ...completely forgot to mention this.

...but there's also alot less enemies

Neiteio said:
Add in the best controller for the game (for me the Dualshock is closest to the GCN controller), better sound and free online, and anyone not picking up the PS3 version because they think it's "broken" are fooling themselves. Both versions of the game are great; get whichever one you think you'll find more people to play with and be HAPPY.

Yep ...DS3 feels amazing when playing this

Question

Who here is playing with Type-D controls????

I went with Type-A of course

careksims

Yes love playing with the DS3 Controller. It's one of the reasons I prefer the PS3 version.

I stay away from Type-d. Type-B player here!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
Rarely for you? Happens during most cutscenes for me and I installed it. Heck even viewing figurines I see it.
I definitely have not had this on my end. I'm playing 720p through hdmi.

Neiteio said:
Installing the PS3 version took about a minute or two. Now the loading screens appear for a couple seconds, and some are literally a splitsecond. It's great.

Really, there's nothing wrong with the PS3 version. No slowdown at all so far, in either single-player or co-op splitscreen. It's silky smooth all the way through. And the water looks the same as the 360 version. It looks good in the marshlands, and not-so-good in 2-1 and 2-2, which as Rez points out is the same in the 360 version. Both versions should note their water looks the way it does because it's overcast; the water in the streams behind in Public Assembly, by contrast, sparkles because the sun's out.

All i know is my own personal experience with the demo, 360 was clearly out ahead on most fronts. On the retail release, i got the RE fans i know who are collecting every version of the game that upon playing both versions they say the 360 one is quite a bit ahead when it comes to the technical aspects.

Feindflug

Neiteio said:

From what I'm reading the PS3 version must be really improved from the demo, the frame-rate in the demo was almost all the time below 30fps...and the water in the eurogamer comparison shots definitely looked inferior in the PS3 version.

Also about the tearing in the 360 version - at 1080i/p there's plenty but at 720p there's zero tearing (same as Lost Planet & Dead Rising)...if you hate tearing like me you should just play the game at 720p - it's so much better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Grimm Fandango said:

wow that sounds bad, you aren't playing upscaled are you ? because on 720p tearing is a very minor issue.

JB1981

careksims said:
I received an update when I popped in on launch day, but I don't what it does. Still... What framerate issues? Throughout the whole game I never even noticed any of that. Never even saw any screen-tearing either. I agree that that the whole frame rate issues are overblown. Sheesh!

The only hiccups that happen was when either me or my friend's connection would lag or something.l That's about it. It's totally playable and I really love the sniping. It's satisfying sniping them as they run.

I can't comment on the MGS4/RE5 model comparisons, but I can say these are awesome models. Love them!

Edit: Talkin' about the PS3 version.

Did you notice frame rate issues with the demo?

Christopher

Oh my my the water is something craptastic...but playing with my friends is better than graphics.

Can someone post a video with the 360's water for comparison sake?

I like it better than RE4 so far to be honest although I might be in the minority on that one!

Also if you have a sound system set up it's pretty nice

Teknoman

Playing online PS3 co-op, didnt notice any slowdown (demo caliber slowdown anyway) even during scenes with tons of explosions. The beginning didnt have the framerate problems the demo of shanty town had either.

People need to stop reviewing games before they get the true release date version or something.

Dartastic

I do not like getting killed in 1 hit on 5-3. Fucking hell. And the
bugs
WON'T FUCKING GO DOWN. I've wasted like 10 electric rounds on them! How do I get them to go down!

Top Bottom