• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Chinner

Banned
Johnas said:
How exactly do you increase maximum HP in this game?

I haven't run across any yellow herbs yet and I just started 3-1. I don't think I've tried combining two green with one red yet though, or reds with each other.
you don't.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm fighting the
Uroboros second version
and I must say I'm really enjoying it much more than RE 4, a lot of it is due to the story. Obviously this is a changed RE, and I'd much rather have the older more scarier versions; but it's been a great experience so far. I've been playing on co-op.

I wasn't that impressed with the first chapter, but everyone since has been from average to fucking awesome. There is alot of variety. I love
the tribal feel
of Chapter 3, and Chapter 4 to me feels like
one huge puzzle to me, it was fantastic
to the highly influenced Chapter 5
which really felt like older RE to me, besides the guys with AKs

Co-op is hilarious and alot of fun, I'm enjoying it much more than RE 4 which pleases me.

Johnas

Thanks guys. That makes me feel better, I thought I was missing something hugely obvious. ;)

I've been enjoying the game, but not as much as RE4. 4 was my first RE game, that may or may not have something to do with it, but I played REmake after 4, and enjoyed it almost as much. This game has seemed to lack atmosphere compared to 4, which lends a lot to the overall creepiness factor for me. I also loved the GC controller setup for 4, and it took me some adjusting to the DS3 before I got used to it. I'm managing better now, but I still think the GC controller works better. I just feel like the controls are sloppy and loose, but I'll chalk a lot of that up to my inabilities.

I just got to Chapter 3, which seems to be darker and more foreboding (based on the little I've played), maybe more of the creepiness will kick in soon.

Side note, the graphics, while very nice overall, definitely don't top (or match) those of MGS4, imo.

Dartastic

Ok, so I just did the boss fight at the end of 5-3, and I SWEAR TO GOD we did the QTE bit like FOURTY TIMES and the stupid fight never ended.

mattso

Dartastic said:
Ok, so I just did the boss fight at the end of 5-3, and I SWEAR TO GOD we did the QTE bit like FOURTY TIMES and the stupid fight never ended.
yeah it was pretty ridiculous I swear the other 2 times I've done that fight it was much easier.

Let me know if you want to play again sometime it was fun

My best two times on Mercs so far are:

Stage - Public Assembly
Mode - Solo
Score - 103940
Rank - in the 800's

Stage - Missile Area
Mode - Solo
Score - 98320
Rank - 78 (#1 US player)

This mode is so awesome!!!

Snaku

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
...this ....this Type-C control scheme ...whoa!

Can't believe I never bothered to check it out! :D

Yep, my favorite control scheme. :D I'm on 4-1 solo, and I'm loving it so far suprisingly. Sheva is every bit the ammo whoring retard I thought she'd be, but unlike the demo I haven't been killed due to her stupidity...yet.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This game really would be much scarier if it didn't show you everything before it came at you. I just replayed 2-1 on veteran so I can be well equipped for 5&6 (still haven't finished the game), and I killed the chainsaw guy
kinda...
-- after I cleared out the rest of the enemies I went over to pick up the key and then he
came back to life!
right after I picked it up. Totally unexpected, made me jump.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Shit, mercenaries just gained a ton of value to me once i discovered how many points it cost to buy the unlimited ammo stuff.

The whole game balancing/difficulty is one of the best things about RE 5.

Everything is so finely tuned to exactly what you would want from it. Like professional mode. All the gold drops are like double, but you die in one hit if you arent saved. Its the uber difficulty mode, that really rewards upgrading all you weapons and stockpiling huge amounts of herbs in your box.

DrBo42

A few questions for you guys. Are there better pistols gained throughout the game, or should I start upgrading my 92F? Also, is it worth upgrading Sheva's weapons?

mattso

DrBo42 said:
A few questions for you guys. Are there better pistols gained throughout the game, or should I start upgrading my 92F? Also, is it worth upgrading Sheva's weapons?
stick with that one. it unlocks the most amazing weapon in the game.

VicVip3r

Just finished the game yesterday, awesome action movie...i just hated the QTE's and the one hit KO's. Fully upgraded the L.Hawk with unlimited ammo and here i am starting the game on veteran mode.

Forgot to mention this earlier, but:

Man, the audio mix (especially 5.1) in this game is pretty terrible.

The entire thing (especially character vocals) lacks pop.

MGS4 spoiled me.

:(

DrBo42

AnonymousNoob said:

MGS4 spoiled me.

The bass level for gunfire absolutely sucks, but I think even RE4 was plagued with that.

DrBo42 said:
The bass level for gunfire absolutely sucks, but I think even RE4 was plagued with that.

Dead Space is still the winnar of weapon sounds

OMFG the default Plasma Cutter ...SO FUCKING SATISFYING! :D

JudgeN

I love how your weapons and shit carry over, you can make sure chris doesn't have a pistol and spam the first stage for cash/ammo. Bad design choice IMO but shit i'm use it to upgrade all me weapons :lol

Love the game, co-op is a blast.

NZNova

Just started chapter 6 last night, playing through on co-op and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. There have been plenty of hilarious moments as our particular version of Chris and Sheva are perhaps the most incompetent BSAA agents ever fielded :D

oh and the stun rod is absolutely awesome :D

DrBo42

AgentOtaku said:
Dead Space is still the winnar of weapon sounds

OMFG the default Plasma Cutter ...SO FUCKING SATISFYING! :D
I couldn't agree more, fantastic sound design. If 99% of your game involves gunfire, how can you not go the extra mile? Baffles me.

Edit: Avatar quoting time but I thought MGS4 had fantastic weapon sounds as well.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My opinion after a few hours of playing RE5 with a good friend: GOTY. It'll take something huge to topple this big bastard from that pedestal. Everything about it just clicks in place. Fantastic graphics (zero aliasing, but some pretty shitty tearing every now and then) and great set pieces.

NZNova

oh yeah, now that you mention tearing - the tearing is pretty abysmal here, 360 version, but the guy I'm playing co-op with says he's not getting any tearing at all. Weird.

industrian

The other thing to mention is that I actually like the story as well. It's not a "LOL URE SMALL TIME" affair, and it follows up the serious tone of RE3 and RE:CVX well. The fact the voice acting is great just adds to it.

NZNova said:
oh yeah, now that you mention tearing - the tearing is pretty abysmal here, 360 version, but the guy I'm playing co-op with says he's not getting any tearing at all. Weird.

I've got the RE5 Elite, running at 1378x768.

DrBo42

industrian said:
My opinion after a few hours of playing RE5 with a good friend: GOTY. It'll take something huge to topple this big bastard from that pedestal. Everything about it just clicks in place. Fantastic graphics (zero aliasing, but some pretty shitty tearing every now and then) and great set pieces.
Speaking of set pieces, I've found myself knowing exactly when they're going to happen so far in this game. Spoiler from Chapter 2 I think.
That area underground where Alpha Team was slaughtered. You see the elevator is out of order, then the gas tanks in the furnace room and you just know shit is about to go down :lol. I think some part of me feels like this is a flaw, and I shouldn't know what's about to happen. At the same time though, it puts me on the edge of my seat in terms of anticipation. I find myself saying "Oh shit.." out-loud during those moments and tension pumps me up.
Is that happening to you guys too? What's your reaction to it?

NZNova

industrian said:
I've got the RE5 Elite, running at 1378x768.

mine's a reasonably recent Arcade, 1080p via HDMI. Tears like crazy during cutscenes, and occasionally during the game too. I've kind of adjusted to it by now but it's still a bit annoying.

NZNova said:
mine's a reasonably recent Arcade, 1080p via HDMI. Tears like crazy during cutscenes, and occasionally during the game too. I've kind of adjusted to it by now but it's still a bit annoying.

It's the upscaling to 1080p. If you set your 360 to 720p, you'll see little to no tearing.

industrian

Vyse The Legend said:
It's the upscaling to 1080p. If you set your 360 to 720p, you'll see little to no tearing.

I figured that the scaling had something to do with it, but nevermind, it still looks good and the tearing is only in cutscenes.

i.. can't...stop playing. I have to do more combos in
mercenaries co-op
. Fucking fantastic :D

is there anyone that it is doing a run alone on professional without any money or weapons from the last game ? it is really hard at the beginning (later became less difficulty because in professional you have more money and you can upgrade your weapons early), and the task is simply too much for the AI, but i found it really rewarding to exploit the game to the max.

Decided not to run to the end game yet on Normal and sample Veteran with the AI. No big problems. First one I tried was stage 3-2, where the Sheva AI had me nervous with the second
chainsaw s.o.b.
triggered when turning off the
fire-spewing pipes
. She handled the first well enough but there were a couple times I thought she was toast, so I tried to skip him. Of course, those who have played that stage know it isn't that simple...but we got out of there.

I also love the stage-selection replayability (to find medals and ranks, not "grind" up the weapons), all the unlockables, and never mind the local and co-op options to try later and most importantly I haven't yet opened up good ol' Mercenaries that I loved so much in RE4.

Glad I didn't wait to pick this one up.

TheExodu5

Banned
AnonymousNoob said:

MGS4 spoiled me.

You can tell just from the sound of the voices that the sound is quite compressed.

lupinko

Probably already mentioned, but this thread is quite big, so anyway does anyone know why Capcom USA removed the bonus video stuff from the domestic PS3 version of RE5? The Japanese release was a hybrid disc with bonus content (the cover even shows "+Video" on it as well). Kinda cheesed me off about that, since I chose the domestic version due to exploding heads over the import.

Is this still in the Collector's Edition (if it is, then that's even more lamer since the regular version of the game in Japan is a hybrid disc as well) here or it's just not there?

=/

lol at the video for the rotten egg money glitch. You can do that online too if you really want to, though I think it ruins the game a little.

I would think it would be more fun to get about 10k each time for both players if
you go to the last level before you fight wesker with the 3 doors, you can run straight to the checkpoint after you grab the second door's lever which deletes all enemies, and then two reaper's come out. They are easy to kill even on veteran if you bring at least 7 proximity mines (what i used). run straight up the ladder to the catwalks, and place mines in groups of two on the upper walkway, you kill the reapers pretty easily. Afterwards either quit and reload or go straight to the left side watery area to go straight for the minigun to decimate the JJs
. The bonus here is that you're actually finding a quick way to get through the level to get an S rank or top the leaderboards while getting about 10k each run for both players compared to the
licker run
posted earlier or the rotten/gold egg exploit.

Also somebody was talking about the
flamethrower/UROBOROS fight
, I think the point of the fight is to
use the flamethrower to make the uroboros docile and pop his glowing balls out. Then, the other player can sit there and snipe or magnum the balls until he dies. either that or use a huge waste of money like some guy I was playing with and buy two 10k rocket launchers and shoot it twice to end the fight immediately with no flamethrower usage at all.

Another thing that made me think of was the
excella fight, where you use the big ass laser gun. First time through it took forever because I was using the big ass laser while the other guy healed and protected me from the little gremlins that get puked onto the bridge. took FOREVER. Little did I realize that your partner can shoot the balls to get them to go motionless, making the laser lock on very easily. Wish I realized that sooner.

One final thing, anybody have any basic strategies for ridiculous scores on co-op mercenaries? I can usually score around 60-80k on solo for most of the characters/maps which nets me an S or even an SS rank rarely. But online, S ranks are given at about 120k and SS even more which I never seem to get no matter who i play with. My best guess for co-op is you both have to be self sufficient and go on opposite sides of the map in order to lure in as many ganados as possible to keep a combo up. When we inevitably camp because my partner
/me
gets hit far too often, combos are stopped after about 10-20 ganados because the game seems to start spawning them farther away from you. I also wonder if running to every time bonus at the start is a good idea or not because I bet it's impossible to rack up a high score unless you kill every enemy you see as you get the bonuses.

By the way don't make the mistake i did.
The wesker dash takes away some of your health so it's not all hugs and kisses even though it can allow you to invulnerably plow through multiple enemies at a time.

Nizz

AgentOtaku said:
I noticed this with cutscenes ....threw up a "wtf!?" as they have a damn blu-ray for the extra space
How's the game holding up for you on the triple graphics wise? Better than the demo?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Can someone give me hints on Mercenaries? Or link me a video? I can only get rank D lol. And i have 45 rotten eggs if anyone wants me to trade them on LIVE. GT is in my profile.

dagZ

AnonymousNoob said:
I have 2.

:D

All I need is a Rotten Egg.

hey, can you add me and do the egg glitch with me? you will still have your 2 eggs but it will clone one and give one to me.

xfactor

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Just hit the El Gigante fight, once again the game cop-outs. Why didn't they let us fight it RE4 style before running to the Humvee?

Also I've had zero issues with framerate on the PS3 version. The Public Assembly area was much smoother than in the demo.

Because then, the gamers will say:

"why can't I attacking it with the humvee turret? I won't be carrying the turret to continue my mission after the fight isn't it? so might as well spend all its ammo on the boss fight?"

Top Bottom