• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Dot50Cal

Banned
Any tips for the
NDesu
fight on professional? Maybe its cause I was playing with a random pub guy, but we couldn't beat him. We nearly got him to
3 master plagas emerges
but always fell short.

voltron

Hey Resident Evil 5:

You know when a chapter ends, and you give us the choice to finish playing or continue playing? Well if one of us players chooses to finish playing and doesnt continue right then and there, FFS DONT display the message "ARE YOU SURE- UNSAVED PROGRESS WILL BE LOST".

IT IS GODDAM MORONIC FOR A COUPLE REASONS...

1. Its the end of a chapter. SURELY the game autosaves at the end of a chapter.
2. The inventory/item system is essentually backed up every 5 secs, so not much chance of losing anything there.
3. There isnt even a option you can choose to SAVE anyway, so saying "if you quit now all unsaved progress will be lost" at the end of a chapter is just fucking DUUUUUUMB.

/taking out my anger on something petty rant

Dot50Cal said:
Any tips for the
NDesu
fight on professional? Maybe its cause I was playing with a random pub guy, but we couldn't beat him. We nearly got him to
3 master plagas emerges
but always fell short.

one guy shoots him/master Ps the entire time. The other shoots majini when they show up and the barrels when he grabs a rock or pole and also always shoots him when he uses his foot or double hands or charges forward. never miss a QTE.

voltron said:
Hey Resident Evil 5:

You know when a chapter ends, and you give us the choice to finish playing or continue playing? Well if one of us players chooses to finish playing and doesnt continue right then and there, FFS DONT display the message "ARE YOU SURE- UNSAVED PROGRESS WILL BE LOST".

2. The inventory/item system is essentually backed up every 5 secs, so not much chance of losing anything there.
3. There isnt even a option you can choose to SAVE anyway, so saying "if you quit now all unsaved progress will be lost" at the end of a chapter is just fucking DUUUUUUMB.

The item system isnt saved unless you tell it to when you're done. Thats why you can duplicate items. It's that way so you dont get screwed if you trust some random pub co-op and he leaves after you give him all of your magnum ammo because he has a handcannon.

Although, if you choose to quit, it should just ask you if you'd like to save or not or just quit if its the end of the chapter. But yeah, I'm pretty sure even if you hit a checkpoint you can quit and tell it NOT to save your equipment, which is what my point was and was contesting #2 on your list.

So yeah I love this game. Already spent 15 hours playing the game, which will definetly increase.

RE5 Video Review

I think highly of it, did a video review with a little bit of live action intro and bloopers, final score 9.7. My major beef, and it wasn't even that big of a deal to me was the Sheva AI. Aside from that I loved the entire experience.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So yeah I love this game. Already spent 15 hours playing the game, which will definetly increase.

RE5 Video Review

I think highly of it, did a video review with a little bit of live action intro and bloopers, final score 9.7. My major beef, and it wasn't even that big of a deal to me was the Sheva AI. Aside from that I loved the entire experience.

you say the sheva AI was not that big of a deal to you, but did you ever try playing solo with sheva AI on veteran or professional after
the majini get aK-47s and rocket launchers
?

A 2 year old with no arms could play better than sheva at those points. Unacceptable, and just about makes solo play on veteran want you to kill something. But not in the good, wholesome
slaughtering the animals before the first licker appearance
kind of way.

Ice Monkey said:
you say the sheva AI was not that big of a deal to you, but did you ever try playing solo with sheva AI on veteran or professional after
the majini get aK-47s and rocket launchers
?

A 2 year old with no arms could play better than sheva at those points. Unacceptable, and just about makes solo play on veteran want you to kill something. But not in the good, wholesome
slaughtering the animals before the first licker appearance
kind of way.

This sorta changes once you get unlimited ammo for weapons, imo, but on the first play through I wouldn't recommend playing on vetran on solo and definetly not pro.

Insaniac

without spoiling things, does RE5 have a lot of cool weapons to unlock, like how in RE4 they had the chicago typewriter, handcannon, plagas laser etc?

I'm suffering from a particularly nasty crash with my new RE5 copy D:

Save for an aggravating visual glitch (some sort of color banding problem - a nuisance, but not really important), it had been running great...up until a particular sequence.

Right when you
discover the oil fields, there is an area in which you need to turn wheels in order to do clear fire from the path which leads to your destination.

I turn the wheels, sprint past the chainsaw twins, and enter the room which prompts you and Sheva to be next to one another.

And then? Nothing. The screen remains blank. The game was sucking me in like a quick sand, and then this happened. Is it a problem with the PS3? Has anyone else suffered from similar crashes?

Dot50Cal said:
Any tips for the
NDesu
3 master plagas emerges
but always fell short.

Really?, maybe is because I beat it offline, but on PRO mode he only have
2 master plagas

voltron

Ice Monkey said:
The item system isnt saved unless you tell it to when you're done. Thats why you can duplicate items. It's that way so you dont get screwed if you trust some random pub co-op and he leaves after you give him all of your magnum ammo because he has a handcannon.

Although, if you choose to quit, it should just ask you if you'd like to save or not or just quit if its the end of the chapter. But yeah, I'm pretty sure even if you hit a checkpoint you can quit and tell it NOT to save your equipment, which is what my point was and was contesting #2 on your list.

Fair enough. I assumed someone would poke a hole in my rant. It was a response to something else unrelated in the game that was making me angry.

Insaniac said:
without spoiling things, does RE5 have a lot of cool weapons to unlock, like how in RE4 they had the chicago typewriter, handcannon, plagas laser etc?

there are TONS of weapons to unlock, just dont expect completely ridiculous overpowered hilarious things like the P.R.L. to be there and you'll be more than satisfied. I prefer it that way anyways. Would it be really be spoiling things to say you can get an
infinite rocket launcher
?

If you want a tip thats not really a spoiler but oh well,
upgrade all the FIRST variations of any given weapon. For example, upgrade any weapons you obtain that first has that (mg) or (hg) or (sg) at the end of it.
That unlocks nearly every unlockable weapon.

voltron said:
Fair enough. I assumed someone would poke a hole in my rant. It was a response to something else unrelated in the game that was making me angry.

Your rant was more than justified though. Thats why i edited and added the last paragraph. At the end of the chapter everything is probably saved anyway, the asking if unsaved yada is completely unnecessary.

More infinitely annoying to me however is how when searching for a mercs or coop game and trying to join and failing due to someone else joining before you or whatnot, you get shuffled back to a main menu and all the filters get defaulted. Also, ESPECIALLY in mercs, sometimes you have to give the impression you wish to continue in a game or whatnot just to tell the other person you want to quit (by selecting from a menu).

If it makes no sense, what i mean is, to end a mercs game like after you JUST played a round, you cant quit from the end round graded score menu. instead, you must either go to the character select screen if the host didnt want to continue or wait till he presses select (or listen to josh be an annoying host dick because the host doesnt realize he can press select to bypass the boring initial prompt) in order to quit the mercs session. Yet even with all these parameters, the (ps3 at least) mercs session browser only has a few available rooms that are all on public assembly. Regardless of mercs, even story co-op if you intuitively hit start to continue after a chapter, you have to wait and then quit after loading. It's really mercs thats unreasonable though because most of the random pubs on mercs never get anywhere because everyone just wants to unlock characters instead of get s or ss ranks.

Anticitizen One said:
Just beat the game. Anyone think the final battle was a bit goofy? Other than that Fantastic game right up there with REmake and RE 2.

I've never been much of an RE diehard, but I guess my opinion was the final battle ended with what the whole "RE5 experience" kind of lead to
(UROBOROS corrupts everyone OMG we must destroy it LOL etc)
, I thought the SECOND to final battle was really the climax and the final battle itself was to
end ALL RE CHAPTERS before it
and yet failed, as evidence by comments on youtube (showing the average opinion) where they are like
OMG THE ROCKETS DIDNT HIT HIM LOLOL RE6 FTW LETS GO WESKER I LOVE YOU"

Ice Monkey said:
I've never been much of an RE diehard, but I guess my opinion was the final battle followed with what the whole "RE5 experience" kind of lead to, I thought the SECOND to final battle was really the climax and the final battle itself was to
end ALL RE CHAPTERS before it
and yet failed, as evidence by comments on youtube (showing the average opinion) where they are like
OMG THE ROCKETS DIDNT HIT HIM LOLOL RE6 FTW LETS GO WESKER I LOVE YOU"

If they wanted to end all RE's they should have shown what happened to Sherry and steven burnside who were taken captive by wesker and what about Ada who was she working for?

Also,
Why was Jill's hair blonde?

see my edit, but yeah I agree they could've said what happened to
sherry at least but I was under the impression that steve was arguably dead? (at least with what happened in veronica)

I dont know for sure whats up with
jill's hair
but i read somewhere that it was explained in the files in RE5's files somewhere. Anyone care to elaborate? From what I remember, something involved with
making her "better"[/SPOILER

EDIT 4: I thought by wii RE4 it was established
ada was working for wesker
etc etc?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Capcom even know or care what happened to Sherry or Steve. I highly doubt there is some RE story bible sitting around the offices, put it that way. :lol

Rez said:
I don't think Capcom even know or care what happened to Sherry or Steve. I highly doubt there is some RE story bible sitting around the offices, put it that way. :lol

I totally agree. I bet 1 million kijuju nothing will ever come from those two storylines or whatnot.

Not to mention, prior to RE5's release I read everything I could about all the RE before 5 even though I played them, and not once did I give half a shit about sherry or steve or wonder what happened to them even though i played every RE since 1 on the PS1 except completing veronica. Maybe thats the reason they arent cared about. I hardly remember steve except as some bad male sidekick that has to
kill his dad
and sherry as some bad sidequest that has to push some boxes when my brother has to play because I'm too damn scared to.

Ice Monkey said:
see my edit, but yeah I agree they could've said what happened to
sherry at least but I was under the impression that steve was arguably dead? (at least with what happened in veronica)

I dont know for sure whats up with
jill's hair
but i read somewhere that it was explained in the files in RE5's files somewhere. Anyone care to elaborate? From what I remember, something involved with
making her "better"[/SPOILER

EDIT 4: I thought by wii RE4 it was established
ada was working for wesker
etc etc?
In the RE 4 seperate Ways chapter its implied that she is a double agent and actually working for a different organization (the same one she worked for in RE 2) and she was instructed to send wesker a fake sample of las plagas. It could be that ada was working for Tricell I guess

in Code Veronica X (ps2 version not DC version) I believe its said during the final battle between chris and wesker that wesker's people have taken steves body for study and I even think thers a scene where chris tells claire that he'll find him

Rez said:

well it took this long to reveal who oswald spencer is and resolve the wesker story. So maybe in another ten years the'll resolve the leon/claire/sherry story :D

Shouta

Anticitizen One said:
Also,
Why was Jill's hair blonde?

They explained this one in one of the documents after a specific boss fight.
It's after the U-8 fight. Check the monitor again and it should say so, as I recall

Anticitizen One said:
In the RE 4 seperate Ways chapter its implied that she is a double agent and actually working for a different organization (the same one she worked for in RE 2) and she was instructed to send wesker a fake sample of las plagas. It could be that ada was working for Tricell I guess

in Code Veronica X (ps2 version not DC version) I believe its said during the final battle between chris and wesker that wesker's people have taken steves body for study and I even think thers a scene where chris tells claire that he'll find him

Didnt know about the fake etc. Weird if so because I would expect A.W. appearance this RE5 go around.

Didnt know about the study etc. If true, funny because not that you said it badly, but it sounds like a badly constructed plotline meant to incite theory and encourage future sales. Just my interpretation, maybe.

Anticitizen One said:
well it took this long to reveal who oswald spencer is and resolve the wesker story. So maybe in another ten years the'll resolve the leon/claire/sherry story :D

Not that I'm a pro or something, but ws spencer really that much of a target of storyline debate? I always thought he was just "the founder" and I dont remember anything from 5 that really gave anything away about him, except
what he revealed about wesker

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So I finished the game. All in all, I think it's weaker than RE4 for a majority of reasons.

-It doesn't have much of anything resembling a "horrific" atmosphere. It's more in-your-face, than RE4 was regarding presentation and such. The game lacks any and all forms of subtlety.

-RE4 didn't have many puzzles, but when you did have to get shit like pieces of a key it didn't feel like a glorified fetch quest. In here, it doesn't seem as integrated into the world.

-Aside from maybe one boss, all of the bosses suck, especially the last one(which says something, because the last boss of RE4 was the weakest in the game). They are all really easy.

-The deaths are horrible. In every other Resident Evil game they were as polished as the rest of the games were. I really want to know why they are so bad in this.

-The set pieces seem like they belong more in Rainbow Six or Gears, than Resident Evil anything.

-The few puzzles it did have were drawn out, for no particular reason.

At the end of the day, I see it as one of the weaker entries of the series, but I had a lot of fun with the SP campaign. I don't see myself playing through single player nearly as many times as I did RE4, but me and my friend had a lot of fun playing it.

Now...mercs mode is an entirely different story. This shit is damned near perfection. :lol It still needs better death animations, but wow. Playing this with a friend is some fun shit. I really do miss the crazy melee attacks from RE4 though.

Holy fuck at the amount of
lickers
that one stage throws at you. I thought I was seeing shit when we got rushed by about a billion of them. The
guy with the flaming axe
put fear in our hearts in the last stage. :(

We're still scoring a decent amount with the default characters, mainly because we haven't unlocked anyone else other than
tribal Sheva
. I've gotten accustomed to using her now, since I'm the sniper of the game. One Shotting fools is fun stuff. They throw an ungodly amount of stuff at you in spots.

My only problem with mercs mode is the framerate. For the most part, it's as smooth as butter, but HOLY SHIT, when it messes up...it messes up big. Makes no sense for it to be that bad.

What's everyone's strats so far? I use to watch Hand vs eye vids to get better at RE4 mercs mode. Are the same rules applying for here?

One more thing...
fucking jesus resurrecting, fake ass gill, maniac chainsaw men.
That shit caught us off guard when they
come back to life
. It's okay though, we gave them plenty of tiger uppercuts and standing fierce kicks, before they go all crimson head and shit. :mad:

edit: Oh yea. The racism shit was kind of overblown, but...a certain extra skin made me roll my eyes hard as fuck. There are some spots where I can easily see somebody getting kind of tense over.

edit edit:
Outside of getting Chris to be in Africa, Jill had zero reason to even be here. What a waste of time...

Shouta

Oldschoolgamer said:
edit edit:
Outside of getting Chris to be in Africa, Jill had zero reason to even be here. What a waste of time...

Part of the story but they didn't explain it within the game itself which kinda sucks.

obaidr

Banned
Hey guys, i really need your help. I am a resi junkie since i am 12 or something. I played throw every single resi game and i would call my self a pro. I got my resi game on suterday and started playing. Since i hate to play with that bitch in AI i always play co-op. Now the first time i played, i got a really good player with me. We played for two hours or something and got to chapter three already. Now since then i only got some morrons. I really need some experienced partner to play with. Please add my on psn: obaidr

I am living in europe and playing usually only nights from 10pm until 1 am or something. So please help me enjoy the game the way it is meant to be and not yale at tv because the fucking moron i play with is the biggest jerk on earth.

thank you in advance.

WiCkEd_Co

Most my games I have the volume set to 26 and on this one I'm playing it up to 32 but it still sounds weak. Not just the volume but the guns sound weak also and explosion compared to other games I played. The FEAR 2 demo sounded real good and scary but this game doesn't really add much with it's sound.

I have been a huge RE fan since the first and play it like crazy on my Dreamcast (Code Veronica) and Gamecube (4). I guess I was expecting more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
obaidr said:
Hey guys, i really need your help. I am a resi junkie since i am 12 or something. I played throw every single resi game and i would call my self a pro. I got my resi game on suterday and started playing. Since i hate to play with that bitch in AI i always play co-op. Now the first time i played, i got a really good player with me. We played for two hours or something and got to chapter three already. Now since then i only got some morrons. I really need some experienced partner to play with. Please add my on psn: obaidr

I am living in europe and playing usually only nights from 10pm until 1 am or something. So please help me enjoy the game the way it is meant to be and not yale at tv because the fucking moron i play with is the biggest jerk on earth.

thank you in advance.
I would play, but I own the 360 version. Sorry. :(

Shouta

obaidr said:

thank you in advance.

I could help a bit if you really need it right now.

Nose Master

Last battle rant:

So, after almost an hour of unloading grenade launcher ammo into him, we reloaded... and beat him with TWO knife slices? What the fuck?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Rez said:

i wouldn't be surprised if Dark Side Chronicles retcons or finishes sherry's story off within itself .. (as in not leaving her fate and the fate of the virus inside her questionable).

Nose Master said:
Last battle rant:

So, after almost an hour of unloading grenade launcher ammo into him, we reloaded... and beat him with TWO knife slices? What the fuck?

you can initiate a fuck-awesome QTE on the last boss when you and sheva meet up again after pushing the boulder aside and go on top of the hill, shoot him a lot until his heart is exposed from the front, then have chris run up to him (preferably from the behind) to initiate it.

Insaniac said:

nothing as awesome as the Chicago typewriter, but since you can potentially give any weapon infinite ammo, you can always choose an assault rifle of your choice.

Oldschoolgamer said:
edit edit:

I'm willing to bet that in the original script Jill was supposed to die at the hands of Chris. But they changed it at the last minute.

Both the little chat you have after the fight with her and then her sudden and unnecessary appearance at the very end seemed pretty forced and didn't fit well at all.

You just beat the shit out of her and pull something surgically attached to her organs off of her, and 2 seconds later she is all chatty and standing on her own two feet. And then later she is like here help yourself to some rockets... I couldn't be bothered to shoot them myself even though I am a bad ass super cop. I wanted you to climb all the way up this fucking rope ladder so that I could hand them to you.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
PuppetMaster said:
I'm willing to bet that in the original script Jill was supposed to die at the hands of Chris. But they changed it at the last minute.

Both the little chat you have after the fight with her and then her sudden and unnecessary appearance at the very end seemed pretty forced and didn't fit well at all.

You just beat the shit out of her and pull something surgically attached to her organs off of her, and 2 seconds later she is all chatty and standing on her own two feet. And then later she is like here help yourself to some rockets... I couldn't be bothered to shoot them myself even though I am a bad ass super cop. I wanted you to climb all the way up this fucking rope ladder so that I could hand them to you.

Yea, that's how I felt.
She just seemed added for the fans, and that's all. I really didn't like the way they handled her.

One more thing...I can't get over how bad THAT rock got owned in the game. Seriously. It got it the worst out of everyone else in the entire game. It was just minding it's own damned business and got hyper combo finished.

chandoog said:
i wouldn't be surprised if Dark Side Chronicles retcons or finishes sherry's story off within itself .. (as in not leaving her fate and the fate of the virus inside her questionable).

you can initiate a fuck-awesome QTE on the last boss when you and sheva meet up again after pushing the boulder aside and go on top of the hill, shoot him a lot until his heart is exposed from the front, then have chris run up to him (preferably from the behind) to initiate it.

nothing as awesome as the Chicago typewriter, but since you can potentially give any weapon infinite ammo, you can always choose an assault rifle of your choice.

Gatling gun is cooler than the chicago typewriter!

obaidr

Banned
WiCkEd_Co said:
Most my games I have the volume set to 26 and on this one I'm playing it up to 32 but it still sounds weak. Not just the volume but the guns sound weak also and explosion compared to other games I played. The FEAR 2 demo sounded real good and scary but this game doesn't really add much with it's sound.

I have been a huge RE fan since the first and play it like crazy on my Dreamcast (Code Veronica) and Gamecube (4). I guess I was expecting more.

now that you say. You are right indeed, Ive been playing killzone 2 over the kast week(s) and everytime i start the game i needed to decrease the volume since the sound was so loud and rich. This game on the other hand does not have such a good soundtrack. Maybe 5.1 systems are not too widespread in japan hehe.

Oh yeah, why in the name of all that is holy can I not unlock the Samurai Edge in single player? Damn you Capcom :( That gun sounds glorious.

USD

The Mercenaries music reminds me of the boss music from Metal Gear Solid 2. Whenever I try to remember how the song goes in my head the two blend together, and I suddenly find myself thinking of Fatman and the fight on top of the heliport. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
USD said:
The Mercenaries music reminds me of the boss music from Metal Gear Solid 2. Whenever I try to remember how the song goes in my head the two blend together, and I suddenly find myself thinking of Fatman and the fight on top of the heliport. :lol
Yell Dead Cell! :D

Loved that piece.

SNIKT!

I'm loving this game! I'm pretty sure I'm at the end, seems like a final battle with Neo Wesker. :lol
Damn it's hard! I must be overlooking something. Sheva can be frustrating as hell sometimes. I get over it quick though, shes saved my ass a few times to make up for it.
Part of me wishes I would have got it for the 360 rather than the ps3 after seeing some reviews but, I have all the previous one for playstation. I decided to keep it in the family.

voltron

Ice Monkey said:
More infinitely annoying to me however is how when searching for a mercs or coop game and trying to join and failing due to someone else joining before you or whatnot, you get shuffled back to a main menu and all the filters get defaulted. Also, ESPECIALLY in mercs, sometimes you have to give the impression you wish to continue in a game or whatnot just to tell the other person you want to quit (by selecting from a menu).

Thats just not acceptable. I know people will say they are Japanese and not used to online. But so what! Its about intuitive design and in this case plain old common sense.

adamsapple

Baloonatic said:
Gatling gun is cooler than the chicago typewriter!

no way .. its way too big, very inaccurate, takes a second to start up and misses most of its shots, and i'm pretty sure it makes chris run slower .

TheExodu5

Banned
voltron said:
Hey Resident Evil 5:

Agreed. Another stupid point is that when you press Ready in the organization menu, it says "Exit? Yes No". Also, I wish you could just quit from the organization menu.

adamsapple

Shaheed79 said:
Umm I thought you guys said Sheva doesn't use grenades?

she didn't for me atleast, i used her as a grenade storage case for most of the game .

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
chandoog said:
she didn't for me atleast, i used her as a grenade storage case for most of the game .
She just used a frag and a flash grenade during 3-2 once on a group of enemies and the second time on a chainsaw majini. She had a stun rod and rifle equipped but the rifle was out of ammo. Anyone else have Sheva use grenades on enemies?

Dyno

I'm loving the game, it's Capcom's best effort this gen. if you ask me.

Sheva is a great character but she works best at long range. When the enemy gets close she loses some of her skill. So early on I had her drop the pistol and use a machine gun and rifle while I use the pistol and shotgun. That way we both work off different types of ammo. She takes care of the longer ranged stuff with ease while I do short range and keep stuff off her back. We're the perfect team.

What with the great enemies, level design, and deep upgrade system this is one of those blessed games I'll be replaying as soon as I'm done.

EDIT: I have yet to see Sheva lob a grenade in my game. I'm playing medium and just got to Chapter 4-2.

Top Bottom