• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
When i fought Jill i got a weird loop with the AI where Jill just meleed me, which caused me to go into the Dying animation, and at that exact moment Sheva grabbed Jill for me to shoot the thing on her chest. I of course sat there for 2 min dying because the AI would not let here go.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I finished this in CO-OP with a friend over the weekend using system link and we had a pretty much flawless experience. I haven't spent that much time playing a single game in years (we played for 12 hours straight on Saturday). The length was actually perfect as we completed the game around 2am on Sunday.

I think it's the second best game in the series only behind RE4.

One of the things that ended up really making it work well in CO-OP was deciding on which weapons each person would use in order to avoid fighting over ammo. I used the handguns, machine guns, and the stun rod while my buddy used the others.

I thought the game was at its best from Chapter 3-1 until the start of Chapter 6.

It's disappointing to me that Capcom revealed so much of this game through trailers. I mean, they showed bits and pieces of virtually every cutscene in various trailers. Nearly every scene involving Irving was already present in the trailers. It's my own fault for watching them, I suppose, but I still think promo material should be thought out in such a way that they avoid spoiling the game.

After completing it, I also realize that there is no way in hell Capcom could create a proper Wii version of this (which so many people seem to want). They would have to go far beyond simply reducing the quality of the visuals.

Speaking of visuals, however, I think RE5 is one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning from top to bottom with incredible art direction throughout. RE5 stands beside games like Gears 2, Killzone 2, and Crysis with ease and, in some ways, tops all of them. MT Framework still offers the best explosions. The audio, on the other hand, was disappointing. It sounded highly compressed and muffled throughout. Not terrible, but after Killzone 2, it was highly disappointing.

I can't wait to go back and continue to play. That is the mark of a great game, I believe. I also recently finished FEAR 2 and really don't have the urge to ever touch it again. I was immediately drawn back to RE5 upon finishing it and plan to play through it several more times.

Sectus

Shaheed79 said:
She just used a frag and a flash grenade during 3-2 once on a group of enemies and the second time on a chainsaw majini. She had a stun rod and rifle equipped but the rifle was out of ammo. Anyone else have Sheva use grenades on enemies?
I've seen her use grenades plenty of times. I don't think she ever uses grenades while in cover stance though.

Duck Amuck said:
health on the left, Sheva on the right. It's so weird and most of the time someone (Chris) or something is in the way of Sheva.
Ah. That sounds pretty irritating, but I thought you meant that they had mirrored the levels themselves, which would be TERRIBLE.

I love how Sheva does a different animation when you leave the game idle for a bit after you've built up a relationship with her. Gives you a thumbs up and a little cheer :lol

glaurung

What's with the COVER/ATTACK mode toggle for Sheva?

It defaults back to COVER every now an then, sometimes in the middle of a firefight and suddenly she switches back to the pea gun instead of a machine gun or whatnot I have given her.

I hope this gets patched because I do not care to send her into ATTACK mode after every god damn turn in the alley. Reminds me of spamming the allied attacks in AC6 with the damn d-pad.

hulot

Shaheed79 said:
She just used a frag and a flash grenade during 3-2 once on a group of enemies and the second time on a chainsaw majini. She had a stun rod and rifle equipped but the rifle was out of ammo. Anyone else have Sheva use grenades on enemies?
AI does use grenades.

I haven't touched Mercs yet. How do I unlock more characters?

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm so much trying to love this game, but I have a feeling this is going to be the second big disappointment of this gen alongside with NGII.

It's hard to say what eventually causes this, but I guess it's the lack of innovation and drive that was so evident in RE4. I'm just not having fun playing this.

I'm currently in chapter 3-3 and although I know I'm going to finish the game, I can't say I'm excited to finish it. Does it get better or worse from here on?

StranGER

Rez said:
Sounds like you tried to play the game on a different profile than the one you started the game on initially. Is your 360/PS3 used by more than one person? If so, make sure you haven't accidentally logged in to their account.

i wish it was something like that! i played it in the morning, then went to work and came home and it was gone! no other profile it would be on. :(

why would it make me start a new profile and start all over???

has this not happened to anyone else?
am i the lucky winner !

so no one has had their file vanish on them?
this is the only game i have ever had this happen to.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, Im not that far, but WOW!!!!! This game's visuals are outstanding!!!

When you first walk into the town at the beginning of the game, and the villagers are just staring at you....I spent a couple minutes just walking around that first area, and walking up to them just to adore the character details!! Adding to the creep factor is how their eyes follow you as you walk by them..

It also seems like Capcom did a great job hiding items, etc....I went into this one area of the town that had that pile of organized tomatoes on that table, and after you cut up all the tomatoes with your knife, theres a hidden incendiary grenade underneath. Brilliant!!

Question on the hidden medallions....are they pretty easy to spot, or are they super hidden?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hesemonni said:
I'm so much trying to love this game, but I have a feeling this is going to be the second big disappointment of this gen alongside with NGII.

It's hard to say what eventually causes this, but I guess it's the lack of innovation and drive that was so evident in RE4. I'm just not having fun playing this.

I'm currently in chapter 3-3 and although I know I'm going to finish the game, I can't say I'm excited to finish it. Does it get better or worse from here on?
Innovation is hardly something the series has been known for, though. Until RE4, it was one of the most stagnant franchises around.

That said, I actually thought the game was best from Chapter 3 onwards.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok, Im not that far, but WOW!!!!! This game's visuals are outstanding!!!

When you first walk into the town at the beginning of the game, and the villagers are just staring at you....I spent a couple minutes just walking around that first area, and walking up to them just to adore the character details!! Adding to the creep factor is how their eyes follow you as you walk by them..

It also seems like Capcom did a great job hiding items, etc....I went into this one area of the town that had that pile of organized tomatoes on that table, and after you cut up all the tomatoes with your knife, theres a hidden incendiary grenade underneath. Brilliant!!

Question on the hidden medallions....are they pretty easy to spot, or are they super hidden?

they're mostly REALLY well hidden, but two or three of them are in plain sight... most of them are hidden behind nooks though, you'll have to look everywhere to spot them ...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Some of them are pretty much impossible to find without a guide. There are only two or so that are in plain sight. The rest are very difficult unless you're specifically scouring an area for them.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
GuardianE said:
Some of them are pretty much impossible to find without a guide. There are only two or so that are in plain sight. The rest are very difficult unless you're specifically scouring an area for them.

Ok cool....do you need to shoot them, or walk up and actually collect them?

glaurung

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok cool....do you need to shoot them, or walk up and actually collect them?

They're called emblems and they have to be shot.

There are some which you will never find, unless you know where to look.

hulot

glaurung said:
They're called emblems and they have to be shot.

There are some which you will never find, unless you know where to look.
Still nothing as completely absurd as Lost Planet's markers on extreme mode. I used a guide for the emblems but I'd say if someone were extremely attentive they'd be able to find most of them.

Davey Cakes

Played a lot of this yesterday. Got a good ways into chapter 3.

Not a big fan of the Marshlands. I preferred the first stretch of the game.

I'm already feeling that the progression and pacing just aren't as strong as RE4's. The game's still a blast, but it definitely feels "different" in more ways than one.

And again, the AI really isn't that bad. It just gets in the way sometimes, not just in terms of Sheva running ahead and getting hurt, but also just having a kind of "holds me back" presence. I'd greatly prefer managing my own inventory instead of having to manage two, and watching Sheva use up her inventory in non-preferable ways. It does feel a lot like babysitting sometimes, and that can hamper the experience.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Thanks for the info!!!

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that the one white zombie type in the first village looks like Michael Stipe from REM? :lol

ms_blog.jpg

=

resident-evil-5-03.jpg

R0nn

Finished the game yesterday night and really had a blast with it. I can clearly see some of it's flaws, but it was still loads of fun by virtue of basically feeling just like RE4. Loved every encounter in the game and liked how there were so many different gameplay scenarios present in the span of just 12 hours.

The game was way, way too easy on Normal though. Should've started out on Veteran. Still have to try coop. Played through the entire game alone, while using Sheva mainly as a glorified mule, so she wasn't really in the way too much and didn't make many stupid decisions that way.

I can't believe how predictable the story was btw. :lol Everything I expected to happen, happened. All secrets that were being revealed, I already called hours before. Still, I like how they neatly tied everything up.

It's also one of the most beautiful games I've ever played (and I played Crysis and Killzone 2). There were some clear flaws in the PS3 version though, especially the framerate which never seemed to stabily hit 30 for more than 5 seconds or so. :lol Didn't really get in the way of the gameplay though, so it's all good.

Now to play Veteran in coop, find all the emblems (wtf I only found 8 on my first run!), and do some Mercenaries.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Do these framerate issues in the PS3 version some people are talking about only become apparent in the later stages? So far, I havent seen any at all..??

Okay,

Spent about 40 minutes doing the
Labrynth bit where your flipping switches for stairs to drop
. I finished it up and then you have that encounter with
another Giant Bat
. So I was like "okay then, lets do dis..." and proceeded to spend all of my NadeLauncher rounds just to find out you don't even have to fight.
So I was like okay then and proceeded to try and reload my game after the next checkpoint ....well it doesn't work like that and I ended up restarting all the way at the beginning

...sigh =(

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Do these framerate issues in the PS3 version some people are talking about only become apparent in the later stages? So far, I havent seen any at all..??

there aren't any framerate issues....

Unless you consider the occasional 4-6 fps dip THAT distracting. Everything is a big improvement over the demo

R0nn

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

I guess it depends how sensitive you are to them. I noticed it all the time. It's not like it completely hitches or slows down to a crawl, but it is present in a very subtle way. Like it juuuust isn't quite as smooth as it should be. It's especially noticeable during more busy scenes, in particular when you turn around quickly. But as I said, it doesn't really impact the gameplay in any way, so it's all good in the end.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
AgentOtaku said:
Okay,

another Giant Bat
. So I was like "okay then, lets do dis..." and proceeded to spend all of my NadeLauncher rounds just to find out you don't even have to fight.
So I was like okay then and proceeded to try and reload my game after the next checkpoint ....well it doesn't work like that and I ended up restarting all the way at the beginning

...sigh =(

You don't, but you get treasure by doing it.

SMZC

Baloonatic said:
I love how Sheva does a different animation when you leave the game idle for a bit after you've built up a relationship with her. Gives you a thumbs up and a little cheer :lol

Wait. How do you "build up a relationship with her"? Can this be done only with the AI?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SMZC said:
Wait. How do you "build up a relationship with her"? Can this be done only with the AI?

Can only be done with the AI. There's an achievement associated with it.

Essentially, give her items, heal her, and thank her with the B button whenever she heals you. Do this enough throughout the campaign and you'll build your relationship with her. I'm not entirely sure what the idle animation is before you gain her trust, as I never left the controller alone before getting the achievement. My understanding is that requesting items from her lowers this.

GuardianE said:
You don't, but you get treasure by doing it.

Yeah, I was at least able to buy some more upgrades so it wasn't all for naught...

Rash said:
And again, the AI really isn't that bad. It just gets in the way sometimes, not just in terms of Sheva running ahead and getting hurt, but also just having a kind of "holds me back" presence. I'd greatly prefer managing my own inventory instead of having to manage two, and watching Sheva use up her inventory in non-preferable ways. It does feel a lot like babysitting sometimes, and that can hamper the experience.

I've actually been suprised how good Sheva AI is! ...It never feels like I'm baby sitting her, especially during the latter parts as there is plenty of ammo to go around and she uses it sparingly on top of regularly switching weapons
The key to her AI routines is TAKE AWAY HER HANDGUN! :D

R0nn

AgentOtaku said:
there aren't any framerate issues....

Unless you consider the occasional 4-6 fps dip THAT distracting. Everything is a big improvement over the demo

Well to be fair, I guess it's only really noticeable if you've played the 360 version as well. I played the demo on 360 (which had a 100% stable framerate) and played the full retail on PS3, so I noticed the difference very quickly. But again, it's not a big issue since it doesn't really impact gameplay or overall presentation/atmosphere.

R0nn said:
Well to be fair, I guess it's only really noticeable if you've played the 360 version as well. I played the demo on 360 (which had a 100% stable framerate) and played the full retail on PS3, so I noticed the difference very quickly. But again, it's not a big issue since it doesn't really impact gameplay or overall presentation/atmosphere.

true true ...and as I said earlier, I'd take the Vsync over the 3-5fps gain anyways so it's all good

The 4xAA must be very nice though =/

Just came in here to gush a little bit.

So far (just finished Chapter 2), this game's single player has just floored me. Where to begin?

First of all, I can't get over Capcoms in house cutscene director. I'm not certain, but it seems to be the same dude who did Devil May Cry's, because they are just so awesomely filmed, I mean this guy should be working for Hollywood. There's something about Capgods production values this Gen... when the game opens, it just sucks you in. I also appreciate the fact that cutscenes are in engine, just like Dead Rising, DMC, and Lost Planet. I thought DMC's looked good... this shit looks like CG. In fact, I often thought they were showing a movie then I see a screen tear... it is in game !!! Holy fuck how do they do that. Best looking game-engine cutscenes in a game ever.

Now onto the game itself. You hear people say Gears of War 2 had a "blockbuster, Hollywood Campaign" or some other such bullshit. No. This puts that to shame. It's incredibly well paced, unlike Gears each stage has a mix of tense/calm/tense situations that never get repetitive and never get boring (which cannot be said of Gears, which is just the same shit over and over and over). I'm 3 levels and 5 hours in and I've already
offed 5 bosses. All of which were well designed and FUCKING INCREDIBLE to look at. Executioner, Leach-thing, Chainsaw, and the Bat... OMFG that BAT! Un-be-fucking-leavable as Vince McMcmahon would say WWF circa early 1990's

Then it's just the little touches
the truck that trys to run you over, the QTE cutscene
, the level designs
loved the caves, having Sheva hold the lantern while you pop off zombies. Then she drops it, dudes in the dark. Shit gets scary.
. The awe-inspiring enemies
you have to be impressed when you first see that huge plant thing come out of that chicks head. The dogs face split open, the flying creatures come out of zombies, etc. etc. I'm 3 levels in, can't even imagine what's next

Graphically, enough has been said but this is easily the finest looking cross-platform game (I have 360, I'm just going by what people say about PS3 that it holds up, minus framerate or whatever). Why the fuck doesn't Capcom license the Framework engine? This engine puts the Unreal engine to shame, especially for cutscenes.

Anyways, more impressions as I go along. I'm absolutely in love with this game, SF4 hasn't gotten love love lately :( and it's gonna be a good while before I finish this. Just got off Spring Break and college is killing me right now. I can't wait to play more.

TChirath

Neo Member
AgentOtaku said:
Okay,

another Giant Bat

...sigh =(

From what I understand, to reload the last check point, you press start and choose "restart". If you quit and reload ("continue"), you go to the last save point instead. I use "restart" a lot when I feel a boss fight is coming up and I need to arrange my inventory. Note that "restart" will not save your inventory like quitting does. It just puts you back at the last check point.

Facism

This game got so much better when i took Sheva's handgun away from her and left her with the AK47. Takes here around 3 bullets to kill 1 majini, and there are a lot of machinegun ammo around :D

AgentOtaku said:
Okay,

another Giant Bat

...sigh =(

How do you not have to fight? That clown had the both of us backed into the corner until it was fucking dead.

GuardianE said:
Can only be done with the AI. There's an achievement associated with it.

Essentially, give her items, heal her, and thank her with the B button whenever she heals you. Do this enough throughout the campaign and you'll build your relationship with her. I'm not entirely sure what the idle animation is before you gain her trust, as I never left the controller alone before getting the achievement. My understanding is that requesting items from her lowers this.

Well you can kiss that achievement goodbye then for me, at least for this run.

Bitch will not use anything but the pistol! So I basically use her as a second inventory, lol. And when we get to bosses I strip her of her handgun ammo so she is forced to use a machinegun.

Chinner

Banned
I'm guessing you can run past it and go upstairs to the door. Still, its worth taking it out cause you'll get a jewel worth 10 grand.

Well, seems like the package with the game arrived today, but there was no one in my home, so now I have to wait until tomorrow to go to my mail office and get the game, but that's TOMORROW instead of TODAY, so I can't play the game until TOMORROW instead of being already playing it TODAY! FUUUUUUCK!

TChirath said:
From what I understand, to reload the last check point, you press start and choose "restart". If you quit and reload ("continue"), you go to the last save point instead. I use "restart" a lot when I feel a boss fight is coming up and I need to arrange my inventory. Note that "restart" will not save your inventory like quitting does. It just puts you back at the last check point.

Dammit! ...wish I knew this! ...thanks though man!

BenjaminBirdie said:
How do you not have to fight? That clown had the both of us backed into the corner until it was fucking dead.

I just ran up the stairs behind it and a cutscene plays out
...but not before I spend 10 nade rounds on it =/

Chinner said:
I'm guessing you can run past it and go upstairs to the door. Still, its worth taking it out cause you'll get a jewel worth 10 grand.

Ah ha ....well as I said, I have to redo if over so this time I'll just stick around and actually fight it

Arpharmd B said:
Well you can kiss that achievement goodbye then for me, at least for this run.

Bitch will not use anything but the pistol! So I basically use her as a second inventory, lol. And when we get to bosses I strip her of her handgun ammo so she is forced to use a machinegun.

Take the handgun off her and just leave her with a machine gun. There's plenty of ammo for it through the game.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
AgentOtaku said:
I've actually been suprised how good Sheva AI is! ...It never feels like I'm baby sitting her, especially during the latter parts as there is plenty of ammo to go around and she uses it sparingly on top of regularly switching weapons
The key to her AI routines is TAKE AWAY HER HANDGUN! :D

Sniper rifle and SMG is the best way to set her up. It's the only way she'll switch weapons and she's useful at taking out enemies long range with the rifle. I'll exchange with her when I need to cover her long range but that's rare, so that's how we roll out most of the time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Baloonatic said:
Your imagination. Give her an infinite ammo sniper rifle and you'll love her.

Sweetness.

Here's something I haven't tested out yet. If you purchase a second infinite ammo gun, will the second gun have infinite ammo automatically or will you have to upgrade it all the way first?

Baloonatic said:
Take the handgun off her and just leave her with a machine gun. There's plenty of ammo for it through the game.

I'm just gonna take away all her guns, and let her be my walking inventory.

Then I'm goin in all Rambo style.

Shit that should be an achievement.

Big-E

Are there penalties associated with the infinite ammo weapons? Like will using them cause you to not get any points or be unable to get some achievements?

Top Bottom