• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Arpharmd B said:
I'm just gonna take away all her guns, and let her be my walking inventory.

Then I'm goin in all Rambo style.

Shit that should be an achievement.

Giving her a stun rod and setting her to Cover works pretty well if you don't want her using ammo.

Big-E said:
Are there penalties associated with the infinite ammo weapons? Like will using them cause you to not get any points or be unable to get some achievements?

Nope.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
glaurung said:
Does she use her knife, when bereft of all other options?

Yep. Or Stun Rod. And she looks so pathetic running around trying to slash at things. It's really sad. Give her a gun that you don't want!

Dyno

Applesauce said:
Sniper rifle and SMG is the best way to set her up. It's the only way she'll switch weapons and she's useful at taking out enemies long range with the rifle. I'll exchange with her when I need to cover her long range but that's rare, so that's how we roll out most of the time.

As said before on the previous page this is exactly what I did! I think it's pretty interesting that after several hours with the game people are coming up with the same conclusion regarding how to maximise A.I. effectiveness.

She gets machine gun and rifle. You get pistol and shotgun/magnum/other weapon you feel like subbing in.

[Nintex]

I've just finished it and;

End-game boss battle big story spoilers up ahead:

There is a document in the final level, which contained intel on who knew about Umbrella's secret research. Carlos M. is listed as found and "disposed of", the Carlos from RE0 or a different Carlos?

The final chapter really took epicness to the next level. But why did Wesker have to die :( He is one of the coolest characters in videogame history and I can't but think of the ideas Mikami still had for him. RE4 seemed to be the build-up to something much bigger. I know they can easily go back and do prequels but it sucks that he died, allthough he did went out with a bang. What also surpised me that he too was one of Umbrella's experiments. I'm wondering what Mikami's take would've been on that.

If you read this without finishing the game, well that sucks but I did warn you

Dyno said:
As said before on the previous page this is exactly what I did! I think it's pretty interesting that after several hours with the game people are coming up with the same conclusion regarding how to maximise A.I. effectiveness.

She gets machine gun and rifle. You get pistol and shotgun/magnum/other weapon you feel like subbing in.

By luck or chance this is how I have been using Sheva since I got the MP5 way back at the start.

I've also been upgrading the ammo capacity on the MP5 and the rifle I gave her. I sold her handgun. She's actually quite decent with that combo, except sometimes she will take a pot shot at someone way off in the distance with a rifle and alert them. She's good with the MP5, usually doesn't use to much ammo and just shoots enough to keep them off me until I can finish them.

[Nintex] said:

End-game boss battle big story spoilers up ahead:

There is a document in the final level, which contained intel on who knew about Umbrella's secret research. Carlos M. is listed as found and "disposed of", the Carlos from RE0 or a different Carlos?

The final chapter really took epicness to the next level. But why did Wesker have to die :( He is one of the coolest characters in videogame history and I can't but think of the ideas Mikami still had for him. RE4 seemed to be the build-up to something much bigger. I know they can easily go back and do prequels but it sucks that he died, allthough he did went out with a bang. What also surpised me that he too was one of Umbrella's experiments. I'm wondering what Mikami's take would've been on that.

If you read this without finishing the game, well that sucks but I did warn you
You're thinking of Carlos from RE3, and his last name is Oliveira. I like to imagine that Umbrella disposed of Carlos Mencia. And Mikami really wasn't the scenario writer as far as I know so I don't know how much he had to do with Wesker coming back or becoming the central Big Bad of the series.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
[Nintex] said:

Well, I took it from one Note, that
Wesker, being a created being, that he wasn't the only "Project W" subject. So, there could be multiple Weskers? But this one, I'm pretty sure, is the "one" from RE1.

VegaShinra

Lonestar said:
Wesker, being a created being, that he wasn't the only "Project W" subject. So, there could be multiple Weskers? But this one, I'm pretty sure, is the "one" from RE1.
I still expect to
see Wesker again. We all thought he died in RE1 and there's a chance he lived through this too, I suppose.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Lonestar said:
There is a file that explains it. There is only one, ''Wesker''. The Wesker Children aren't clones but children chosen by Spencer to test his super being theory. Each of them was trained and educated by Umbrella and made into super knowledgable and intelligent men and of course, they were all named Wesker. Birkin was in cahoots with Spencer and he gave Wesker the virus he injected himself with as the last part of the experiment. The other ''Wesker'' probably don't even look like good ol Albert Wesker.

VegaShinra said:
I still expect to
see Wesker again. We all thought he died in RE1 and there's a chance he lived through this too, I suppose.

RE6 will be like the Matrix. There will be a huge QTE where you have to fight off hundreds of
Weskers

I just unlocked unlimited
Rocket Lauchers
!!!

I think you have to beat the game under 5 hours or something. My current best is 3:30.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rash said:
Question: Should I give upgrade priority to my weapons, Sheva's, or should I keep a balance?

I'd say your weapons. You're going to be doing most of the damage and killing. If you take the approach that some others on here did, you might want to upgrade one handgun, one rifle, one machine fun, and one shotgun. This way, you can give Sheva whichever weapons you're not using for a particular segment and they'll be pretty powerful.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I haven't actually beaten it yet, I left off last night with that Poor Rock, being pummeled for no reason. Apparently, I was supposed to do some other things first, before performing Rockslaughter.

Odds are, I won't have a single weapon that is fully unlocked. Maybe that beginning pistol that I gave Sheva, it's gotta be near max capacity and power, just need to do the reload time and the criticals...

Davey Cakes

GuardianE said:
I'd say your weapons. You're going to be doing most of the damage and killing. If you take the approach that some others on here did, you might want to upgrade one handgun, one rifle, one machine fun, and one shotgun. This way, you can give Sheva whichever weapons you're not using for a particular segment and they'll be pretty powerful.
Sounds good. I've already maximized power and critical % for my handgun and shotgun, and have given some upgrades to my automatic (can't remember which) already. Haven't done any for the rifle. I think I'll upgrade the rifle with least priority, since it does its job quite well even without many upgrades.

Teknoman

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Anyone else like the subtle radio effect you get when you talking to your partner from far away? Like over the radio. Neat touch I thought.

I like it. Also Irving is awesome, game is awesome.

I just beat chapter 5. I'm really happy with the game, overall, and you're talking to the original "survival whore-er". I have some gripes, but most of them relate to my own personal preference for more horror/suspense. others won't care, so giving it below a 9.0 is irresponsible, in my opinion. it's a really, really good offering. only a relative handful of games this caliber are made per generation, and it just seems odd putting it down in the 8's with shit like stranglehold or crackdown or whatever. seems irresponsible, really, in that it's not properly informing people that this is worthy of a "killer app" stamp.

btw, a word of advice to newbies (minor weapon spoilies):
I wish I had fully upgraded the first handgun, instead of saving my money and upgrading the second one instead. the first one's capacity upgrades up to 100 bullets, (second one maxes at 25 bullets) which will save you from having to use any inventory slots for handgun ammo.. which is really a big deal, quite honestly. additionally, if you fully upgrade the first gun, you unlock a special gun.

Big-E

I was kind of disappointed with the final boss. I didn't want
Wesker to turn into another b.o.w. I wanted to end him in his God like form. The first part of the battle was awesome but I hated the second part.

Playing through it on normal now (yes I know I am going backwards), I want to get all S ranks, not doing so well at the moment. Anyway I started to see why this game is shorter than RE4. My first playthrough felt as long as RE4 was but going through it again its going by very fast. I think I know why.

RE4 is broken down into lots of small parts, there are a ton of rooms/areas within a chapter. There are some giant areas but no where near as many as RE5. RE5 on the other hand has much larger areas that you do multiple things in, but fewer areas total. What happens is, if you are really good you can kill all the enemies in one of these large areas rather quickly and perform the objective without much time. Game time on a large area changes drastically when you have better weapons or good co-op partner. In RE4, while you can also have better weapons and get through the enemies quicker, since its broken down into so many smaller rooms, each usually with their own objective, it takes longer to go through them.

Vargas

Does anyone have any tips for the
Bad Blood trophy? I seem to be doing a shit load of damage to Wesker and he does not leave at all. Am I supposed to wait until he knocks Chris through the door? I have read that a rocket launcher would work but he always dodges it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
zombieshavebrains said:
So is the engine Capcom used on RE5 like an upgraded one they used in Lost Planet? Or is it completely new?

its the same MT framework engine.

Vargas said:
Does anyone have any tips for the
Bad Blood trophy? I seem to be doing a shit load of damage to Wesker and he does not leave at all. Am I supposed to wait until he knocks Chris through the door? I have read that a rocket launcher would work but he always dodges it.

rocker launcher would work, trigger the scene where he kicks you into the door asap, then run into the labyrinth and hide behind a corner, a blind spot, or just keep running and hiding from him until he has his back turned to you and you're behind him with a clear view, use the rocket launcher, he'll catch the rocket so quickly use a gun and shoot it out. You'll get the achievement and the first part of the fight will immediately end.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
zombieshavebrains said:
So is the engine Capcom used on RE5 like an upgraded one they used in Lost Planet? Or is it completely new?

The MT Framework engine is Capcom's next gen engine... so yeah. Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5... they all use a derivative of the MT Framework engine on some level. That said, it seems pretty versatile and the alterations made to it make each game to be presented in a very unique way.

There will be some similarities notices, like motion blur and explosion effects, but otherwise it looks totally different from Lost Planet, even though it uses the same engine (unlike some lazy developers using Unreal's).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
HorribleJames said:
I just beat chapter 5. I'm really happy with the game, overall, and you're talking to the original "survival whore-er". I have some gripes, but most of them relate to my own personal preference for more horror/suspense. others won't care, so giving it below a 9.0 is irresponsible, in my opinion. it's a really, really good offering. only a relative handful of games this caliber are made per generation, and it just seems odd putting it down in the 8's with shit like stranglehold or crackdown or whatever. seems irresponsible, really, in that it's not properly informing people that this is worthy of a "killer app" stamp.

btw, a word of advice to newbies (minor weapon spoilies):
I wish I had fully upgraded the first handgun, instead of saving my money and upgrading the second one instead. the first one's capacity upgrades up to 100 bullets, (second one maxes at 25 bullets) which will save you from having to use any inventory slots for handgun ammo.. which is really a big deal, quite honestly. additionally, if you fully upgrade the first gun, you unlock a special gun.

i'm taking this advice. thanks!

weapon upgrading may be the best part of the newer style resident evil games. mmm satisfyin'.

I'm fucking RAGED right now. What is this bullshit infinite LOADING Glitch?!?!

Me and my friend just took ages to beat the 5-3 boss which is probably the dumbest designed thing ever and boom..infinite loading right after. So now we've got to get through "You've got 7 minutes" AND 5-3 boss again...

Big-E said:
I was kind of disappointed with the final boss. I didn't want
Wesker to turn into another b.o.w. I wanted to end him in his God like form. The first part of the battle was awesome but I hated the second part.
Dude,
Big Bads turning from scary humanoid unstoppable killing machines into big gloopy vagina monsters is an ancient and hallowed Resident Evil tradition. Only Tyrants are cool enough to escape this fate.

Volcynika

Rash said:
Was anyone else freaked out by that tribesperson who turns into a weird shell-like thing?

That freaked me the fuck out. What the hell, I thought it would be easy to fend it off then BAM. Crazy shell thing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dark FaZe said:
I'm fucking RAGED right now. What is this bullshit infinite LOADING Glitch?!?!

Me and my friend just took ages to beat the 5-3 boss which is probably the dumbest designed thing ever and boom..infinite loading right after. So now we've got to get through "You've got 7 minutes" AND 5-3 boss again...

What are you talking about? What glitch? The game just doesn't load?

Teknoman

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Do these framerate issues in the PS3 version some people are talking about only become apparent in the later stages? So far, I havent seen any at all..??

If it is, then no way near as noticeable as the demo. Thats why I think people jumped the gun abit when reviewing the game.

Captain N

Rash said:
Was anyone else freaked out by that tribesperson who turns into a weird shell-like thing?

It was pretty crazy when nothing I tried even worked! Of course a Flash will get rid of it right away.

I played some co-op last night and we faught
Jill..where you need to pull the plug from her chest
It takes forever on Vet.!

Vargas

chandoog said:
its the same MT framework engine.

rocker launcher would work, trigger the scene where he kicks you into the door asap, then run into the labyrinth and hide behind a corner, a blind spot, or just keep running and hiding from him until he has his back turned to you and you're behind him with a clear view, use the rocket launcher, he'll catch the rocket so quickly use a gun and shoot it out. You'll get the achievement and the first part of the fight will immediately end.

How do I trigger the scene? It seems to vary for me.

jax (old)

Banned
Rash said:

This is the most difficult enemy for me to to kill. How do you do it again? Shoot the meaty chunk on the leg - I can't quite work out how to get the SOB to open up so you can shoot the bit it in the middle of the shell

Big-E

badcrumble said:
Dude,
Big Bads turning from scary humanoid unstoppable killing machines into big gloopy vagina monsters is an ancient and hallowed Resident Evil tradition. Only Tyrants are cool enough to escape this fate.

Dude I know but
Wesker is different. Everyone else like Birkin were losers who had no real powers but needed to inject themselves to actually be able to do anything. Wesker never needed that.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Teknoman said:
If it is, then no way near as noticeable as the demo. Thats why I think people jumped the gun abit when reviewing the game.

I haven't noticed these issues at all... I also remember a review whining about frequent load screens, and it just seems like a stupid complaint when the load screens don't even stay on the screen long enough to read them.

VaLiancY

Rash said:

Yeah me too. :lol
The bug one freaked me out, I opened up on him with shotgun yelling "I killed your family in the prequel." and then it just insta-killed me.

mattso

Big-E said:
Dude I know but
Wesker is different. Everyone else like Birkin were losers who had no real powers but needed to inject themselves to actually be able to do anything. Wesker never needed that.
I thought
wesker had to inject himself to keep himself all matrix-y so thats why you inject him with the other stuff to make him kill-able

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Big-E said:
Dude I know but

I'm just glad that his last form is at least humanoid. I'd hate to see him turn into a giant crab/spider thing. In the end, he really just looked like a dude that could control Uroboros. That's it.

jax (old)

Banned
Teknoman said:

yeah, about the PS3 framerate issues. I played it all the way to the end on the PS3 and it was flawless experience as far as I was concerned. I didn't really notice anything at all. The only time......... was during mercernies which feels like a weird lag (although it could be framerate... Haven't gone back to it).

GuardianE said:
What are you talking about? What glitch? The game just doesn't load?

I've had this happen, it happened a couple times early on but hasn't since. basically, you go to a loading screen (with the RE history writeups and so on) and just stay there forever. pristine disc, too.

Top Bottom