• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

USD

PuppetMaster said:
I just unlocked unlimited
Rocket Lauchers
!!!

I think you have to beat the game under 5 hours or something. My current best is 3:30.
You have to beat all chapters with an S rank I believe. I'm doing an Amateur S rank run right now, just to get it over with. <3
Tribal Sheva + Longbow

I played through almost the entire game so far (on 6-2) on the PS3 and haven't had the slightest hint of framerate issues. If I had never heard there were framerate issues I would of never even thought to look for them, and now, even after hearing there's suppose to be some I can't notice them for the life of me. Granted, I haven't played split screen or mercenaries yet, but no matter if I'm playing solo or online co-op the fps stay completely solid.

On the other hand the loading is amazingly fast, me and my friend were joking about it the other day. They pop up with the little back story tidbit during the loading screen and, if the text is any longer than 1 1/2 lines (which they almost all are) it's completely unreadable because it loads the game too quickly. You have to actually open the back story files from the main menu if you want to have a chance at reading them :lol .

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
GuardianE said:
I believe he's talking about the shotgun. ;)

So badass that it requires a different aim stance.

:lol ... Whoops... well... I still stand by what I said, that water boss was phenomenal.
I suppose it is more of a Kraaken than a Hydra.

USD said:
You have to beat all chapters with an S rank I believe. I'm doing an Amateur S rank run right now, just to get it over with. <3
Tribal Sheva + Longbow

Nah it's beat the game in under 5 hours. Getting all S ranks unlocks the final figurine.

Captain N

I now own all the weapons, but didn't get the trophy! How many weapons are there in total? I believe I have 23. Do I need both vests for it to count?

Ice Monkey said:
Not that I'm a pro or something, but ws spencer really that much of a target of storyline debate? I always thought he was just "the founder" and I dont remember anything from 5 that really gave anything away about him, except
what he revealed about wesker

In the old RE games, we always heard about spencer and how he would have people taken out and that he was a master manipulator but we never really knew what his true intention was. Now we know
he wanted to become immortal/all powerful
it was also nice to finally see who he was and his final fate.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
GuardianE said:
What are you talking about? What glitch? The game just doesn't load?

I had this at the very beginning of the game. The game just loads forever. I read every single one of the History of RE until it started looping. I installed the game and it hasn't happened since.

Captain N

I think this will be one of the few games I get all the trophies for in the game. After that I want to get the 360 version and all the achievements. I love this game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Arpharmd B said:
Well you can kiss that achievement goodbye then for me, at least for this run.

Bitch will not use anything but the pistol! So I basically use her as a second inventory, lol. And when we get to bosses I strip her of her handgun ammo so she is forced to use a machinegun.
I'm wondering how many people have not realized that you can switch Sheva between passive and aggressive behavior?

If you switch her to aggressive she goes on a murder spree using the larger weapons. On passive, however, she sticks to smaller arms and generally focuses more on defense.

You just hold B/circle and use the d-pad to switch.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Duck Amuck said:
Jeez I fucking SUCK at Mercs. I can barely make 20k. HELP.

Time your kills. If you have 5 dudes in front of you, don't just blast them away. Pick one off, move towards where you wanna go, be it next time/combo thing, or just a choke point, kill another.

Know where time is.

Always stay reloaded.

Keep combos going.

It's just as much as map memory and knowing your weapons as anything else.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Duck Amuck said:

Combos are the most important thing in attaining a high score, or rather, one very very long combo. Make sure to know the locations of all Time Extenders. If necessary, if you're running low on enemies (you're taking them out before more spawn), wait until your Combo starts blinking before making the next kill, allowing more enemies to spawn and approach you.

Try to kill the bosses of the level late in a combo (that nets the most points). Do this by staggering kills and hitting him with bullets.

Cancel reload animations with context sensitive attacks.

If you know where the chicken is on a given level, you can kill it for 2,000 points and a +1 to your combo.

Insaniac

Duck Amuck said:

Learn the map. It's crucial, you need to know where the Extra time bonus are, and the bonus point chests are. You also need to know where crucial chokes are.

Don't kill enemies until you can group em up, grab a bonus time chest and use a grenade or whatever to kill multiple ones. Then run around and kill as many as you can chain while you have the bonus time. Don't be afraid to let a chain go, but don't waste time and ammo puttin together small chains <10. For the big strong enemies, save your powerful guns, (magnum, grenades, whatever) Don't be afraid to use ammo to keep your streak alive, enemies drop plenty of ammunition.

Never thought I would but I finally switched to Type-D controls for good. I would say Capcom should have mapped sprint to L2 ala Dead Space but then we would have had running AND sidestepping at the same time and that would effectively break the game.

Wish the Y-Axis look wasn't so off though

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Dartastic said:
What the fuck do I do against the final, final boss. WTF.

You eventually grab wesker from behind and sheva stabs at the weak spot on his chest. I think you have to weaken him some, not sure how much though. But that's how we did it. I can't remember if we hit the weak spot on his back or chest first before grabbing him.

Big-E

Dartastic said:

Run away across a bridge that is made out of loose rock. Once you cross it you will falll down. In the next area run to the high ground and Wesker will start shooting shit at Sheva. One of Wesker's glands will be exposed on the left side of his back, shoot it and go off the high ground to a large boulder. At the boulder, perform the super combo so Sheva can join you and then run back to the high ground. Next unload everything you have into his glands once they are exposed or use the rocket launcher if you have one. You can farm rocket launchers rather easily by redoing chapter 3-1. Note that this is what happens with coop so I don't know if its different doing it solo.

dark10x

Dartastic said:
In the volcano? When the fight begins, run away until the bridge collapses. You'll see the game highlight a spot on his back which you must shoot. After a while, you should trigger a scene where you goes back up after Sheva who should run forward. You have to shoot him until she can climb back up a ledge after nearly falling. Then, he comes back to the middle area where you have to shoot him in the back. When he does the tornado thing, however, you must run up to him and use the context sensitive prompt (which I think restrains him) so that Sheva can attack.

I've only done this in CO-OP, however, so I'm not sure what the AI will do

Captain N said:
It was pretty crazy when nothing I tried even worked! Of course a Flash will get rid of it right away.

I played some co-op last night and we faught
Jill..where you need to pull the plug from her chest
It takes forever on Vet.!

i think the mistake a lot of people might make is just
pulling it incessantly
. you're supposed to
shoot the plug with a sniper rifle or such when your partner restrains her. THEN you start pulling it after someone throws her on the ground and you get a prompt to start pulling it.
Really looks like chris is a rapist though.

Big-E said:
Dude I know but
Wesker is different. Everyone else like Birkin were losers who had no real powers but needed to inject themselves to actually be able to do anything. Wesker never needed that.

replying before reading further posts, but even though I think I would have preferred it if he stayed
neo-like before dying, I don't think wesker turned into as much of a vagina monster as everyone else, he stayed relatively similar but now had uroboros armor on because he grabbed a huge chunk of uroboros armor from the rocket. Uroboros looked like that throughout the entire game, so you cant expect him not to kinda resemble the rest of what uroboros looked like, can you? I actually thought he looked very tyrant-like in his last form, heart beating on the outside and huge right arm and such.

I'm still alive. I haven't posted in the thread since my bitchfest about having to wait until Friday to get it because of the SPRING BREAK ICE STORM. When I did get home with the game the stupid college internet service was down and I'm just now able to get online. Anyway.

I've beaten the game and as a huge Resident Evil fan I was far more satisfied with this than I was RE4. And while there are things I didn't like about RE4, that's still a major compliment because I generally loved RE4. For me, personally, the story was... I don't even know how to explain how much better I thought the story was and certain parts of the plot
discovering the very first ever Umbrella lab, as well as where the virus originated, and the battles with Wesker and his death
was an absolute joy as a long time fan.

Gameplay wise I'd rank it about alongside RE4, not really any better or worse. Though I gotta say, this RE had the best boss battles in the series by far. Music was great, story was great (hey, fanboy-wise anyway), atmosphere and graphics were incredible, and Sheva didn't get on my nerves, except for her constant choice to arm herself with the pistol instead of better firearms in her arsenal when we were trying to take down some of the... nastier nasties.

Anyway, I was very satisfied with the game and I can't wait to play more of it when I get free time.

Jax said:
yeah, about the PS3 framerate issues. I played it all the way to the end on the PS3 and it was flawless experience as far as I was concerned. I didn't really notice anything at all. The only time......... was during mercernies which feels like a weird lag (although it could be framerate... Haven't gone back to it).

I've seen the mercs lag you talk about, pretty sure its a bad connection problem between you and the person you're playing with. It only seems to happen when i play with someone in japan or spain, like where you press square to bust a time bonus or double press square to quickly bust through a door and it takes 2 seconds longer than it should.

ALSO wow I don't understand all this PS3 version complaints, I've played through the entire game on both 360 and PS3, even through unlocking all the characters on mercs, and the only damned difference I noticed was ONE trip through the mines on PS3 where the framerate dipped, and that was apparently due to connection lag also or it was just a fluke because my second time through it the framerate didnt dip whatsoever.

Chinner said:
The Hydra is awesome.

That is all.

My problem with the hydra is that with
STARS Wesker in the mercenaries
, I noticed that it takes 3 shots with the hydra to make a DR Salvador stumble, but yet you can sit there with the pistol (samurai edge?) or the magnum and make him stumble with one mother effing shot. Screw the hydra on the ship level IMO.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
finished chapter 1-1.

this game is ACE.

oddly i'm having none of the control issues i had with the demo, which i don't understand at all. must've been some minor tweaking? maybe i'll double back and check out the demo again just to try and suss what's been done. still wish the f.o.v. were back a bit farther occasionally.

Duck Amuck said:

I seem to be amazing at surviving in mercs and routinely get the people i play with to an A rank on all the levels on both ps3 and 360, but I can never manage to get an S rank for the life of me, and do TERRIBLY score-wise on solo apparently except i never die.

I did notice that you can rack up a pretty solid bonus by using someone with a machinegun, not killing anything and having everyone follow you, then grab a combo time box and do a quick 180, and unload all your ammo into the mob. Then just camp the rest of the time like the huge ladder in the mines, the top of the house or the river in public assembly, the square house upper level in the village (RE4 village remake), the catwalk in the missile area, the 2-foot high raised platforms or the jumpy-area-monsters-cant-attack-only-jump-at-me in the experiment facility, the jumpy...etc...jump-at-me boxes on the ship or the house with the jumpy...etc...jump-at-me in the prison.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
beelzebozo said:
finished chapter 1-1.

this game is ACE.

oddly i'm having none of the control issues i had with the demo, which i don't understand at all. must've been some minor tweaking? maybe i'll double back and check out the demo again just to try and suss what's been done. still wish the f.o.v. were back a bit farther occasionally.

I don't know what it is but I had all kinds of trouble with the controls when the demo came out, but I played it again over the weekend and it was smooth as butter. So now I am going to pick up the game.

Captain N

I just got one of my guns maxed out to 5,000 Damage and found an awesome spot to play over and over again and you get 12,250 cash in like a minute and a half every time.

Ice Monkey said:
i think the mistake a lot of people might make is just
pulling it incessantly
. you're supposed to
shoot the plug with a sniper rifle or such when your partner restrains her. THEN you start pulling it after someone throws her on the ground and you get a prompt to start pulling it.
Really looks like chris is a rapist though.

See I didn't think you could get the trophy doing it that way.

DunpealD

Jax said:
This is the most difficult enemy for me to to kill. How do you do it again? Shoot the meaty chunk on the leg - I can't quite work out how to get the SOB to open up so you can shoot the bit it in the middle of the shell

Try using the Stun Rod and hit it's red soft part. In amateur, it only takes one hit to take them down which also works usually well against those Las Plagas heads or whatever they are called.

GuardianE said:
What are you talking about? What glitch? The game just doesn't load?

Its something quite a few people have complained about. Game goes into loading screen and just sits there. Never was that big of a deal to me and only happened once earlier, but it hit me a second time at the worst possible moment...

:(

The good thing is that 5-3 boss isn't that bad at all once you know what to do :lol.

DunpealD said:
Try using the Stun Rod and hit it's red soft part. In amateur, it only takes one hit to take them down which also works usually well against those Las Plagas heads or whatever they are called.
I haven't tried it on the guys you're talking about but even on Veteran, the Stun Rod kills the Parasite head monsters in one blow.

Captain N said:
See I didn't think you could get the trophy doing it that way.

Probably can't, havent gotten that trophy yet at least and was wondering why, but if you have the trophy i guess, its much faster when you shoot the plug.

Dartastic said:

I can beat the entire last level of the game VERY quickly, here's what you do, especially if you'll be trying to get an S rank at some point.

1. run straight to the first lever and grab. wait for door to open.

2. run straight to the second levers and grab, deletes enemies, spawns reapers.

3. run up to the upper catwalk, reapers will follow. lay down 6-7 proximity mines in groups of two on top of one another, and groups far enough from each other that they dont explode each other, kills or almost kills the reapers, nets 10k gold

4. run straight down to waterway on left lever side, wait for gate to open.

5. run straight to minigun, decimate JJs, grab keycards, go to wesker.

6. grab rocket launcher, turn off lights, wait till he cant see you, shoot him, shoot rocket, QTE, run away, rinse, repeat, QTE, stab him with syringe.

7. QTE, QTE, QTE, QTE on plane

8. get to volcano, shoot huge crumble-able rock, run past crumbly bridge.

9. chris can go get an expensive treasure, dont shoot wesker until sheva gets across second crumbly bridge and gets arthritis

10. shoot wesker in the back to get him to jump to crumbly bridge, shoot second huge crumble-able rock if you need extra time

11. QTE smash huge rock as chris.

12. run straight to peninsula, checkpoint

13. shoot wesker once in the back orange spot when his arm goes up, he does tornado.

14. after tornado, shoot him once in the chest, then CHRIS ONLY runs up to him and gets arthritis, sheva comes up and arthritis-stabs him.

Note, entire last level can be beaten with a fully upgraded ithaca with very few ammo for chris, 7 proximity mines, and a sniper rifle for sheva when they get separated at the
volcano

Daigoro

AgentOtaku said:
What's so great about the Stunrod? ...I haven't decided to buy it yet but clearly the kids here love it!
So what's the scoop?

its great in co-op with friendly fire on.

i call it the ass-beater.

dark10x

still wish the f.o.v. were back a bit farther occasionally.
There are plenty of times when it is pulled way back. You'll see. In fact, I recall plenty of instances where you could see Chris' entire body on screen while running around.

DunpealD

Houston3000 said:
I haven't tried it on the guys you're talking about but even on Veteran, the Stun Rod kills the Parasite head monsters in one blow.

Sounds like the Stun Rod is really strong.

AgentOtaku said:
What's so great about the Stunrod? ...I haven't decided to buy it yet but clearly the kids here love it!
So what's the scoop?

It's your "alternative" knife, but still takes one slot away. I've only played amateur so I can't say how useful it is on the other difficulties, but it's extremely useful even against the normal zombies as well as the fat ones. The only disadvantage is the lack of range and you have to be careful to adjust your tactics to the close range fights.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
AgentOtaku said:
So what's the scoop?

It has longer range than the knife (or comparable range with Chris, I suppose), kills most enemies in only a few hits, has a chance of readying them for a context sensitive attack, and looks hilarious.

Against Big Man Majini, it just tears them apart because each hit stuns.

The reason it kills parasites in one hit is because it acts like a flash grenade in that respect.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just got my hardcover collectors guide in the mail!

Thing is sweet. Got a nice little behind the scenes and art gallery in the back. And also a cool calender, with all the dates pertaining to RE trivia.

Hopefully this will help me with the treasures and such.

Top Bottom