• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Dark FaZe said:
I'm fucking RAGED right now. What is this bullshit infinite LOADING Glitch?!?!

Me and my friend just took ages to beat the 5-3 boss which is probably the dumbest designed thing ever and boom..infinite loading right after. So now we've got to get through "You've got 7 minutes" AND 5-3 boss again...

If this is the glitch I think it is, the game's manual warns you about the potential of this happening.....not that it makes it right, but you ARE warned. Its in print at the bottom of one of the pages....

Who says it doesnt pay to read the game manuals anymore? :lol

GuardianE said:
It has longer range than the knife (or comparable range with Chris, I suppose), kills most enemies in only a few hits, has a chance of readying them for a context sensitive attack, and looks hilarious.

Against Big Man Majini, it just tears them apart because each hit stuns.

The reason it kills parasites in one hit is because it acts like a flash grenade in that respect.

ah I see, thank you!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I don't know if I like the way items are handled in this game. It's not so much the lack of space as it is the lack of times you get to buy/exchange items. I know that you can pretty much save and quit almost anywhere and just reload to get that screen -- since save points are everywhere -- and that's why it seems even more weird to handle it like that.

I've almost beaten it, and had a question but it seems like the answer is no but i'll ask anyway.

There are no suitcase like upgrades to add more inventory slots? Or is that planned as DLC? :D

ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't know if I like the way items are handled in this game. It's not so much the lack of space as it is the lack of times you get to buy/exchange items. I know that you can pretty much save and quit almost anywhere and just reload to get that screen -- since save points are everywhere -- and that's why it seems even more weird to handle it like that.

I have this exact same criticism. It makes things feel even more arcadey and detached. Sure a dude who wants to buy it at a high price all the time is surreal, but I dunno ...at least it was something and fit the lunacy of the world.

Ice Monkey said:
replying before reading further posts, but even though I think I would have preferred it if he stayed
neo-like before dying, I don't think wesker turned into as much of a vagina monster as everyone else, he stayed relatively similar but now had uroboros armor on because he grabbed a huge chunk of uroboros armor from the rocket. Uroboros looked like that throughout the entire game, so you cant expect him not to kinda resemble the rest of what uroboros looked like, can you? I actually thought he looked very tyrant-like in his last form, heart beating on the outside and huge right arm and such.

Yea I think it was supposed to be a homage to the William Birkin Tyrant from RE 2.

Fun Fact:
In the original script for the Resident Evil movie (the good one that was going to be directed by George A. Romero but got cancelled :( ) Wesker injects himself with the T virus and becomes a tyrant. and chris and jill had to kill him.

I'm stupid. I've forgotten how to move items around in your inventory to the d-pad slots. I thought when you selected them they would have a "move" option but it doesn't seem to be there. How do I do it?

neoism

Duck Amuck said:
I tried doing the Drive By achievement - the one where you snipe the driver of an armored truck? I did that in 2-2, REPEATEDLY, and still no achievement.
You have to do it, on the level(forgot which, I think 3-1) on the back of the jeep with the turret, just shoot the armor on the front or side or the trucks and kill the driver. It unlocked for me first try.

Mr Jared

So I'm having a blast in co-op mode (haven't attempted single-player, somewhat dreading it), but man ... at the beginning of every new chapter, my friend and I have to stop to laugh and ask, "What the hell is going on?"

Resident Evil games have always jumped from wild location to wild location (random shark pit in the original, anyone?), but man ... the narrative is so non-existent that I have absolutely no idea what's going on, where I am, what I'm supposed to be doing ... I just know that I have to grab as much ammo as I can, punch the entire nation of Africa in the face and survive.

Not that this is a bad thing ... but man, when you get to the
god damned mayan ruins
it's like ... what the hell is going on!?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Mr Jared said:
So I'm having a blast in co-op mode (haven't attempted single-player, somewhat dreading it), but man ... at the beginning of every new chapter, my friend and I have to stop to laugh and ask, "What the hell is going on?"

Resident Evil games have always jumped from wild location to wild location (random shark pit in the original, anyone?), but man ... the narrative is so non-existent that I have absolutely no idea what's going on, where I am, what I'm supposed to be doing ... I just know that I have to grab as much ammo as I can, punch the entire nation of Africa in the face and survive.

Not that this is a bad thing ... but man, when you get to the
god damned mayan ruins
it's like ... what the hell is going on!?
if you listened to what people were saying in the game you would know what is going on. I didnt have a problem getting it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dark10x said:
There are plenty of times when it is pulled way back. You'll see. In fact, I recall plenty of instances where you could see Chris' entire body on screen while running around.

awesome news. thanks.

just finished 1-2. game is so god damn beautiful. capcom really waved their magic wand on this thing. really embarrasses other games visually.

so far, it's everything i wanted or expected from RE5 when i saw the first trailer. i feel like i could write an entire review to sell someone on the game that just said,

"re4 + uppercut"

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Stoney Mason said:
I'm stupid. I've forgotten how to move items around in your inventory to the d-pad slots. I thought when you selected them they would have a "move" option but it doesn't seem to be there. How do I do it?

Highlight the item and press square, or the 360's equivalent of the square button. Then move it where you want.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I don't think I've enjoyed watching death animations this much since the Satyrs in God of War II. Chris' Haymaker combo is so nasty I almost feel sorry for the poor bastard getting his head punched off :lol

DrBo42

Applesauce said:
I don't think I've enjoyed watching death animations this much since the Satyrs in God of War II. Chris' Haymaker combo is so nasty I almost feel sorry for the poor bastard getting his head punched off :lol
I've only done the straight, hook, and uppercut. Is there a list of where you need to shoot to pull off certain combos?

Zenith

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
Fun Fact:
In the original script for the Resident Evil movie (the good one that was going to be directed by George A. Romero but got cancelled :( ) Wesker injects himself with the T virus and becomes a tyrant. and chris and jill had to kill him.

No he doesn't. It plays out like in the game. He even talks to Barry about how they got a Rhino heart for it.

and Birkin wasn't a Tyrant.

Christopher

Just some random things I noticed...

Jill looks pretty spot on to her Resident Evil: REmake self...Chris on the other hand must have injected himself with the steroid virus because he looks nothing like his RE counterpart...although they had his badge from the REmake in the files that was a pretty awesome touch.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
DrBo42 said:
I've only done the straight, hook, and uppercut. Is there a list of where you need to shoot to pull off certain combos?

Basically you and your partner need 1 enemy in between the two of you and one of you starts off by shooting it in the arm. A headshot or legshot will result in you knocking them on the ground which kills the combo. Once you shoot it in the arm, melee it over towards your partner, and that prompts him or her to melee it again, sending it back to you. That's when you melee it with either the haymaker or backhand.

Sheva has her own special melee moves too if she starts the combo, I know one is the leg suplex, I don't know what the other is.

Edit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k36Dh3_xQOA

:D

itsinmyveins

A question about the fight at the end of 5-3 (I think it is?)

They say they only have seven minutes. So what's the deal, am I gonna try to survive that long or can I win? Any tips for that fight?

Stupid question number 2.

If your inventory is full can you no longer give items to Sheeva? The give option seems to be grayed out now for some reason.

ItsInMyVeins said:
A question about the fight at the end of 5-3 (I think it is?)

They say they only have seven minutes. So what's the deal, am I gonna try to survive that long or can I win? Any tips for that fight?

Wesker leaves after seven minutes and then you have to beat Jill. You can get Wesker to leave earlier by inflicting a lot of damage on him, which also makes a rare treasure appear inbetween the two central sets of stairs.

Stoney Mason said:

If your inventory is full can you no longer give items to Sheeva? The give option seems to be grayed out now for some reason.

You can press RB/R1 to see her inventory as well. Maybe it's full?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stoney Mason said:

give being grayed out means she isn't close enough to you

Baloonatic said:
Can't really think of anything other than you're too far away from her. Try equipping the item and then pressing B when near her.

And that was it. I didn't realize proximity was a reality issue. Thx.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
beelzebozo said:
finished chapter 1-1.

this game is ACE.

oddly i'm having none of the control issues i had with the demo, which i don't understand at all. must've been some minor tweaking? maybe i'll double back and check out the demo again just to try and suss what's been done. still wish the f.o.v. were back a bit farther occasionally.
I think that the default aiming sensitivity was tweaked a little bit (turned up a bit) since the demo, which made it feel a bit more responsive.

Good to hear that you're liking it. I always thought that your demo impressions were odd, seeing as how you liked RE4.

Stoney Mason said:
And that was it. I didn't realize proximity was a reality issue. Thx.
You can always equip ammo or an item you want to give to you partner, and just run up to them and press B/Circle, if that's easier.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Applesauce said:
Basically you and your partner need 1 enemy in between the two of you and one of you starts off by shooting it in the arm. A headshot or legshot will result in you knocking them on the ground which kills the combo. Once you shoot it in the arm, melee it over towards your partner, and that prompts him or her to melee it again, sending it back to you. That's when you melee it with either the haymaker or backhand.

Sheva has her own special melee moves too if she starts the combo, I know one is the leg suplex, I don't know what the other is.

Edit :

That reminds me, has anyone tried this in Mercs? I wonder if the other characters are able to pull this off.

DrBo42

Applesauce said:

Edit :

Awesome. Thank you.

Christopher said:
Just some random things I noticed...

Chris on the must have injected himself with the steroid virus because he looks nothing like his RE counterpart...
To be fair, Chris is suppose to be about 11 years older than he was in the original game which would mean if he was suppose to be about 24 in the original game (which is damn young if you think about it) he is 35 years old now. Even in Code Veronica he would of been only 25 or 26 years old. That's a hell of a lot of time to buff up.

beelzebozo said:
awesome news. thanks.

just finished 1-2. game is so god damn beautiful. capcom really waved their magic wand on this thing. really embarrasses other games visually.

so far, it's everything i wanted or expected from RE5 when i saw the first trailer. i feel like i could write an entire review to sell someone on the game that just said,

"re4 + uppercut"

you will be happy to know that the first chapter is easily the least impressive visually. Infact, I wasn't that impressed, but the game really picks up from the second chapter onwards...

EekTheKat

Finished on normal on Saturday, and had a couple goes online Sunday (PS3 version).

My first game was with a super young kid, at first he wouldn't say a thing but then he started to beg me to give him a weapon :lol

Second game was with a guy on normal who quit mid run.

After that, I decided to dive into Veteran, and jumped into a guy's game where we finished 2 chapter's worth in like..4 hours :lol It was a blast to go through it like that.

Later in the evening I found another player playing Veteran and we finished up the first two chapters fairly quickly.

For me so far the pattern seems to be if I want a good game of coop I would need to hop into Veteran or above difficulty. People on Normal or probably Amateur both seemed kind of flakey to me.

I still need to wrap up the last 2 chapters of the game on Veteran, hopefully more good players will pop up that are willing to sit through it with me later on :lol

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Papercuts said:
That reminds me, has anyone tried this in Mercs? I wonder if the other characters are able to pull this off.

I've seen videos of each character's special melees in mercs mode so I don't see why they wouldn't let you do combos with a partner. I haven't played mercs yet so I don't know for sure.

Houston3000 said:
To be fair, Chris is suppose to be about 11 years older than he was in the original game which would mean if he was suppose to be about 24 in the original game (which is damn young if you think about it) he is 35 years old now. Even in Code Veronica he would of been only 25 or 26 years old. That's a hell of a lot of time to buff up.

Normally I would agree 100% but this is Resident Evil we're talking about. Characters injecting themselves with some performance enhancing substance has become standard in these games :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
I wouldn't mind it if they added an option to add extra character slots. I'd like to be able to create a new character if I want to play the game from scratch, without having access to max upgrades, all my money, etc... It kind of sucks when I play coop with someone who hasn't beaten the game yet since I essentially break it with my overpowered gear. The only option I have is to buy guns and try to upgrade them around the level they should be at that point in the game.

itsinmyveins

A bit OT, regarding the story. The first RE-game I played was RE2, way back when it was pretty new (I think). I remember liking the story, thinking it was interesting and all. Cool characters, plot twists and secret labs underground. RE2 had it all, y'know. I played through it several times with both characters.

Now I'm playing RE5 and I'm mostly thinking "reeeeally?" during most cutscenes, which are filled with characters dressed in capes and masks and superhuman dudes being all matrix and whatnot. Maybe it's nostalgia (and it being like ten years since I played it) that makes me remember RE2 as a much better game storywise than it actually is, but I've still got a feeling that it was a lot fucking better than in RE5.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm....Mercenaries, as a whole, can be both amazingly awesome and yet amazingly annoying.

Having the limited ammo slots means that if you pick up, say an herb, and you need to heal, only it's in a corner slot, you have to run away, open the menu, use the herb, watch the animation, and then run around again.

There are two problems with this. A, you're losing out on your bonus when you do this, which is important in and of itself, and B, you can still get hurt at any point of this sequence. Yes, maybe it's more 'tense' this way, but I'm not a huge fan, at least at this point.

I'm still enjoying the experience overall, especially with a friend so they can keep the combo going or vice-versa, but at least by yourself, the changes to the inventory system aren't necessarily for the better when you're supposed to be getting swarmed to keep the combo going. Ah, well. Hopefully the inventory system gets another look at for the reboot of RE6,
which had better have Ada in it, goddamnit.

Oh, and mercs spoiler:
BSAA Jill is amazing once I figured out her flash grenades could kill the shell-crab things in addition to the tentacle heads

ItsInMyVeins said:
Now I'm playing RE5 and I'm mostly thinking "reeeeally?" during most cutscenes, which are filled with characters dressed in capes and masks and superhuman dudes being all matrix and whatnot. Maybe it's nostalgia (and it being like ten years since I played it) that makes me remember RE2 as a much better game storywise than it actually is, but I've still got a feeling that it was a lot fucking better than in RE5.

Well you need to read some of the library files that unlock. They help explain some things.

Captain N

Metroidvania said:
Oh, and mercs spoiler:
BSAA Jill is amazing once I figured out her flash grenades could kill the shell-crab things in addition to the tentacle heads

That works just as well in the actual game too.

zombieshavebrains said:
Question: At the end of a level does Enemies Dispatched mean only the ones YOU killed? Or does it also count the ones Sheva killed?

Only the ones you killed.

Zenith said:
No he doesn't. It plays out like in the game. He even talks to Barry about how they got a Rhino heart for it.

and Birkin wasn't a Tyrant.

Are you sure? because I have an old PSM magazine that had a summary of the script and I think I even read it once online.

I also know that Birkin wasn't technically a tyrant but he served as the "tyrant" of Re 2 (at least for Scenario A anyway) and vaguely resembled one.

MechaX

I'm pretty much at my wit's end for handling Chapter 3-2 Veteran with AI Sheva.

I've seen so many people list setups to maximize her AI (MG, Rifle, Attack Mode, etc), but at this current section, it's like none of that even matters.

Okay, I have to turn three valves to stop the fuel leakage and fires. I do decently enough until I have to encounter one of the chainsaw guys. Usually, I either get lucky and manage to get to the second valve before Sheva gets her dumb ass killed, or she decides to reload right in front of his face and then gets killed. If I try to make a break for the second valve and subsequently trigger the second chainsaw guy, nine times out of ten Sheva will get killed along the way.

Alternatively, if I kill the first chainsaw guy, he just goes berserk the moment I hit the second valve, and he imitates Super Dr. Salvador from RE4 Merc Waterworld. Under this scenario, now I have one berserk chainsaw guy and one normal chainsaw guy hounding us (and I'd rather not completely consume all of my weapons to kill both chainsaw guys two times over, assuming his berserk form can even be killed). On these narrow corridors, there has not been a single time where Sheva did not make it out without getting killed.

At this point, it's like Sheva is going out of her way to get herself killed. If I fight to try and cover her, she decides to unload MG rounds into his chest and then gets killed. Ugh.. Seems like I'm just better off waiting until my roommate gets back home.

itsinmyveins

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well you need to read some of the library files that unlock. They help explain some things.

It's not that I have trouble understanding, I just think the story is way too silly by now.

ItsInMyVeins said:
It's not that I have trouble understanding, I just think the story is way too silly by now.

Which to me is weird. I heard a few people saying such things and then when I finally completed the game, it really wasn't all that crazily far fetched. I mean some people tried to say it was way over the top like MGS series at times and I didn't think this whatsoever.

Still playing Mercs like a mad man, am now #26 in Missile Area. :D (Solo)

I have found that at some point enemies stop spawning, what the hell. I swear once I had a minute left and no enemies showed up until like 15 seconds left. I could have blown my score to pieces if that last minute had enemies.

Top Bottom