• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

So I've been pretty out of the loop on this game. I loved past REs so much but didn't really like the 360 demo of this game.. Was it just a bad demo?

Also is this collector's edition worth the extra?

Edit: Thanks to Moneyhats2k5 (PSN: Gamma24) for the help, couldn't of made it simpler!

Anyone up for a quick Veteran Chapter 2-2 (the one with the lantern) on PS3? I have a headset but I don't care if you do or not as long as you know the level. My PSN is Houston3000, same as my username.

My Playstation been acting a bitch lately and randomly disconnecting my Bluetooth devices - that includes my controllers and headset. 90% of the time, if I turn on my second controller all my devices return to normal and I can continue but otherwise I have to reset the machine. Anyways, I'm all the way through chapter 6-2 with my RL friend, about the beat the game (which I will do tomorrow) but I'm missing 2-2 because I had to leave during part of the level and return, missing one of the checkpoints.

I can't get lucky and find a random person who is just starting the chapter or willing to restart, and if I do they're horrible and die either during the mine sequence or during the grenade spamming bastards at the end and quit. I'd rather not have to go through it with my RL friend again because we want to get into Mercenaries as soon as we finish the story.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Duck Amuck said:
36/50 achievements down. Should knock out about 4 more tomorrow. The real hard one is "Max out all weapons achievement" or something. Seriously.

Yeah, holy crap. I'm at 47/50 and still need to beat Pro, Stockpile(just need the longbow), and max everything out. I'm not going to resort to any exploits and plan on replaying the game a ton anyway, but that will take awhile.

The only thing that seems helpful is Pro being godly for gold, I wanna try 4-1 Pro tomorrow and see how much cash I get.

What was Capcom thinking when they designed the menus? The online interface is especially awful. Is this 2002/2003 where online play is new or something? What the fuck Capcom?

BloodElfHunter said:
So I've been pretty out of the loop on this game. I loved past REs so much but didn't really like the 360 demo of this game.. Was it just a bad demo?

No. It's fairly representative of the action based nature of the game so if you didn't like it I'm not sure why you'd like the final product. Depends of course on your specific reasons but the demo pretty much informed me as to the sort of experience in the game I've come across so far. Of course I liked the demo though.

CrushDance said:
Done.

And another Capcom game released this gen that is more fluff than substance.
Agreed 100%.

The only game I've played by them - this generation, that actually feels complete and well thought out is Street Fighter IV.

Ice Monkey said:
I hate it when that happens, although its interesting I just did a missile area run and thats one of the only times i remember there being NO enemies for about 30 seconds, but otherwise I have a feeling after you hit a 20 combo or so they stop throwing enemies at you or just spawn them all the way across the map from where you are.

Read a whole lot of mercs strategies from RE4, and I'm assuming it works relatively the same in RE5.

#1 thing they mention is that you slowly pick off enemies after the combo counter starts blinking, you kill one, then wait for it to blink again which slowly builds up the combo count.

Also, there's a much larger bonus for killing the minibosses later on in a combo, something like 5000 extra points killing one after a 9 enemy combo compared with killing a miniboss at the start of a combo. It makes a lot of sense because it usually takes extremely concentrated fire to kill a miniboss. its taken me something like 7 tribal sheva arrows to take down chainsaw dude in his first non-crazy form.

Of note is that the combo bonus grows as you get a higher combo, but tops off and gives you something like 700 extra points for every additional kill after about a 9 kill combo. This means a couple things:
1. a 200 kill combo gives almost the same points as two 100 point combos, or exactly the same if the first 9 kills of both combos started with the 1000 point combo bonus.

2. a bonus time box is best saved for starting a combo, because it makes all extra kills get 1000 points, whereas if used after the 9 first kills it will only raise the 700 point bonus up to a 1000 point bonus, making it give only 300 extra points for each kill done within the bonus time.

3. even trying to kill a miniboss during bonus time is a waste of energy because there is no bonus whatsoever unless the miniboss is killed near the start of a combo, which I already mentioned was worth less points anyway. So instead, you should kill as many majini as possible during bonus time, then kill the boss after bonus time is over.

Finally the chicken counts as an enemy, gives 2000 points when killed, adds to your combo, drops a golden egg when killed, and lets another enemy spawn in after it dies.

My apologies if you already knew all this.

No I did not, excellent stuff. I always wondered about the combo system cause it didnt seem like getting huge combos was helping, more tiny combos was practically getting me the same scores.

Duck Amuck said:
Yes the game has no substance at all which is why all of us are replaying it immediately after beating it.
I should have expanded. The game play is great and I was an early defender of the controls, not disagreeing there. What I'm talking about is the super edited trailers and hype they've pushed all their releases thus far with and ended up with them paling. It really seemed like there would be a decent story around the game, some moral issues might even be looked at(And I feel there was in some cases).

But not once in the entire game did I actually feel fear or anything. There was no memorable atmosphere to the game ala Bioshock or MGS4. Look at some of the first trailers/gameplay shown(Cue Chris punch.gif), there is no scene in the game like that! The plot twists were so predictable and I only kept going just to finish it with friends.

Sure I'll go back and play it every once in awhile like I do with DMC4, but the game was really over hyped and did not deliver for me personally. They need to stop with the trailers that encompass entire games and actually put some meat onto their titles.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
CrushDance said:
I should have expanded. The game play is great and I was an early defender of the controls, not disagreeing there. What I'm talking about is the super edited trailers and hype they've pushed all their releases thus far with and ended up with them paling. It really seemed like there would be a decent story around the game, some moral issues might even be looked at(And I feel there was in some cases).

But not once in the entire game did I actually feel fear or anything. There was no memorable atmosphere to the game ala Bioshock or MGS4. Look at some of the first trailers/gameplay shown(Cue Chris punch.gif), there is no scene in the game like that! The plot twists were so predictable and I only kept going just to finish it with friends.

Sure I'll go back and play it every once in awhile like I do with DMC4, but the game was really over hyped and did not deliver for me personally. They need to stop with the trailers that encompass entire games and actually put some meat onto their titles.

I do agree that the trailers showed WAY too much of the game's story, but the actual meat of it is in the awesome files this time.

Christopher

What were you guys expecing...I dunno I'm on 6-2 and I personally thought it's been amaizng so far...but that's being based on a big RE fan so I'd probably have to hold it to a higher standard...and it's meeting them all so far. :\

So after beating the game I'm torn as far as what to think. Better than Dead Space? Better than RE4? Probably no to the latter at least, but the fact that I have to at LEAST consider it marks it as a fine addition to the series in my book. RE4 was the superior first playthrough experience, but in terms of replayability and actual mechanics, I'm enjoying RE5 more. I'm surprised that I beat RE4 in 20 hours and RE5 in...12 hours for my first playthrough. It's interesting considering that I finished RE4 on normal for my first playthrough and RE5 on veteran for my first, and yet supposedly RE5 was significantly shorter. In the beginning after I got to around 2-3 I was beginning to think the game would be incredibly short, but as things moved on the chapters really started to lengthen for me. Maybe it's the fact that I just had a marathon with this game and went through some annoyances, but I honestly felt like I was playing the game for more than the 12 hour end mark indicated, so it's definitely my longest co-operative experience this gen.

Everything about this game is just a beauty. The one thing that I'm glad to know is that Capcom does have a team that's capable of making a great game. The things they pulled off in this game shows that they can do anything, and it's just a matter of what they can think of conceptually that's going to determine just how good RE6 can be. There has been so much talk about the digital actors and the motion capture technology used for this game that bored me early on, but after playing the game I can see why they discussed it so much, the cutscenes and voice acting were absolutely superb. I haven't played MGS4 yet (and judging by the previous titles that could very well be at the top in this department) but this game surely has to be 1a or 1b there. There will be quite a few things from the plot for RE fans to discuss.
Who are the Original 11? What happened to Sherry? Was Uroboros REALLY all that Wesker had in his pocket? Who's taken the baton?

There were some things I felt that held the game back. Some of the stages felt uninspired like the oil factory and motorboat areas. Some of the combat situations (cover gunfights) felt awkward. There were bossfights that just seemed silly and this type of inconsistent rising and falling in quality stops it from hitting RE4's peak. The atmosphere as well was quite weak in some spots.

As an RE fan I'm facing some tough questions and I'm sure the devs are thinking even harder about this. I've enjoyed so many quality singleplayer titles from the series, but this co-operative outing was quite a success imo and I'm not sure that I'm willing to shrug it off completely. Even though it's far away I'm heavily anticipating any news about RE6 because it will probably be the most surprising game in the series to date. The story will have taken a completely new direction, the general mechanics will likely be upgraded or changed substantially, and we'll find out about the fate of co-op.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Spoilers:

Wesker being all Matrix, Jill in that silly outfit with mask and cape, Chris being boring and so on. The giant underground sci-fi bases, the obvious connections between Tricell and Umbrella. It's very far fetched. I think the whole overarching story is silly too, the one I guess started in RE4 with these "new" zombies.

You do realize wesker being all matrix was established in Code:veronica over ten years ago right? The director of RE 5 was kinda stuck with it for continuity sake. Thats why im happy the wesker plot ended in this game. By "sci-fi bases" you mean the labs? The labs have looked like they do since the inception of RE. Remember the huge laboratory you fight in at the end of RE 2? Looked idential almost. As for tricell, remember that they were hinting that there was a 2nd company? (The one ada has been working for since RE 2) Its assumed in the time since that Tricell has been seizing Umbrellas assets. Thats pretty realistic to me. There was a similar storyline in the Jurassic Park novels.

I agree there was alot of silly stuff chris punching a boulder, a lava battle straight out of episode 3:revenge of the sith, and what was with irving, does he still live in the 1930s or something? Seemed like hes from Fallout 3 or Bioshock and stumbled into the wrong game universe.

CrushDance said:

I never watched a trailer. Don't care about hype. And never play RE games for moral issues. Just to give the counterpoint here. Many people won't have any of these "hype" related issues.

Dark FaZe said:
So after beating the game I'm torn as far as what to think. Better than Dead Space? Better than RE4? Probably no to the latter at least, but the fact that I have to at LEAST consider it marks it as a fine addition to the series in my book. RE4 was the superior first playthrough experience, but in terms of replayability and actual mechanics, I'm enjoying RE5 more. I'm surprised that I beat RE4 in 20 hours and RE5 in...12 hours for my first playthrough. It's interesting considering that I finished RE4 on normal for my first playthrough and RE5 on veteran for my first, and yet supposedly RE5 was significantly shorter. In the beginning after I got to around 2-3 I was beginning to think the game would be incredibly short, but as things moved on the chapters really started to lengthen for me. Maybe it's the fact that I just had a marathon with this game and went through some annoyances, but I honestly felt like I was playing the game for more than the 12 hour end mark indicated, so it's definitely my longest co-operative experience this gen.

Everything about this game is just a beauty. The one thing that I'm glad to know is that Capcom does have a team that's capable of making a great game. The things they pulled off in this game shows that they can do anything, and it's just a matter of what they can think of conceptually that's going to determine just how good RE6 can be. There has been so much talk about the digital actors and the motion capture technology used for this game that bored me early on, but after playing the game I can see why they discussed it so much, the cutscenes and voice acting were absolutely superb. I haven't played MGS4 yet (and judging by the previous titles that could very well be at the top in this department) but this game surely has to be 1a or 1b there. There will be quite a few things from the plot for RE fans to discuss.
Who are the Original 11? What happened to Sherry? Was Uroboros REALLY all that Wesker had in his pocket? Who's taken the baton?

There were some things I felt that held the game back. Some of the stages felt uninspired like the oil factory and motorboat areas. Some of the combat situations (cover gunfights) felt awkward. There were bossfights that just seemed silly and this type of inconsistent rising and falling in quality stops it from hitting RE4's peak. The atmosphere as well was quite weak in some spots.

As an RE fan I'm facing some tough questions and I'm sure the devs are thinking even harder about this. I've enjoyed so many quality singleplayer titles from the series, but this co-operative outing was quite a success imo and I'm not sure that I'm willing to shrug it off completely. Even though it's far away I'm heavily anticipating any news about RE6 because it will probably be the most surprising game in the series to date. The story will have taken a completely new direction, the general mechanics will likely be upgraded or changed substantially, and we'll find out about the fate of co-op.

oh God, thinking about RE6 and how revolutionary everyone thinks it will be and capcom says it will be...just makes me shudder to think how long we'll have to wait for that to come out. RE4 was released what, 4 years ago? That's college right there. Not to mention remember when you first heard about RE4, the hooked man video? That was in what, 2001???

[/wrists]

dogknight

C- Warrior said:
What the hell are you guys talking about?

You can rip it off her chest when Wesker is still in the fight...and there is an acheievement for that/
No, you can't. Actually there are two trophies in this boss fight.

Bad Blood: You do wesker some damage before the time's up. Masters of removing: Rip that device off Jill. When one guy grabs Jill, the other one can shoot the device and throw Jill on the ground. It is much easier to rip that thing off her this way, but you won't unlock the trophy. You have to make sure when you rip the device off her, she's standing, not lying on the ground.So the easiest way to unlock this trophy is that you shoot the device a few times but don't throw her, then try to rip it off .

Ice Monkey said:
oh God, thinking about RE6 and how revolutionary everyone thinks it will be and capcom says it will be...just makes me shudder to think how long we'll have to wait for that to come out. RE4 was released what, 4 years ago? That's college right there. Not to mention remember when you first heard about RE4, the hooked man video? That was in what, 2001???

[/wrists]

I can only hope that'll be the case actually. What with Dark Side Chronicles, Umbrella Chronicles, RE5, and various re-releases I think the series would do itself some good by just taking it easy and lending RE6 at least a 3-4 year development time to get everyone hungry again. Capcom has shown that you'll probably be waiting 3 years for a sequel to a title though in this gen alone. Dead Rising released in 06 (doesn't it feel like yesterday?) and may not see release until fall of 09 if that, and Lost Planet which was a january 07 title seems to be ready to launch again in january of 010.

bigswords

dogknight said:

Bad Blood: You do wesker some damage before the time's up. Masters of removing: Rip that device off Jill. When one guy grabs Jill, the other one can shoot the device and throw Jill on the ground. It is much easier to rip that thing off her this way, but you won't unlock the trophy. You have to make sure when you rip the device off her, she's standing, not lying on the ground.So the easiest way to unlock this trophy is that you shoot the device a few times but don't throw her, then try to rip it off .

How do you hurt
Wesker during that stage? He's too fast for me to hit

bigswords said:
How do you hurt

Run around and lean against the wall. And you will know you are hidden since the game's narrative will tell you so. That boss is designed to have bad visions.

I have also heard others suggesting to hide/run around until you can eventually sneak up behind that boss

Tips for the
Uroboros infected Wesker fight
? I keep dying.

If you are talking about the final battle, at first his weak spot (a thing that resembles a heart) is at his back. When you first run uphill he generally will expose himself by flailing his arm around or sometimes even standing still. So just aim for that spot until you trigger the next sequence.

Next, you are have to do something for Sheva, use rifle.

Then, his "heart" will first be exposed at the back. Shoot it and it will be exposed at the front. When it is shown at the front, shoot at it and he will struggle, then approach him to trigger QTE.

Moneyhats2k5 said:
Anyone up for some co-op action? I'm on 3-3, Veteran difficulty.

PSN ID: Gamma24
2:30 AM or else I would give you a hand. Thanks again for the help by the way, I couldn't imagine having to had to replay 2-2 with AI Sheva, plus I got that trophy for shooting the dude in the truck on the next level :D

If you see me on PSN don't be afraid to invite me... though I'm usually always playing with my friend so don't be offended if I decline.

Any RE fans also find it interesting after beating the game that Capcom actually chose this setting and everything for RE5? Everything was pretty much perfect in the flashbacks.
Chris/Jill co-op game investigating Spencer estate and eventually battling Wesker.
..would have been perfect :lol. Of course what we have here is nice too :).

Edit:
Anyone else not a big fan of Jills looks post REMAKE? She looked a little more mature in the previous games imo and looks...spaced out a little bit with her more recent character model? She looks younger than Claire as well from what we see of her in RE5.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dark FaZe said:
Any RE fans also find it interesting after beating the game that Capcom actually chose this setting and everything for RE5? Everything was pretty much perfect in the flashbacks.
Chris/Jill co-op game investigating Spencer estate and eventually battling Wesker.
..would have been perfect :lol. Of course what we have here is nice too :).
I have a feeling we're going to be seeing that as DLC at some point.

dogknight

bigswords said:
How do you hurt
Attack him from behind or when he can't see you ( he has a very poor eyesight:lol ). I didn't get the trophy during the first playthrough. The automatic weapons are not powerful enough and you need to do tons of damage in 7 minutes. I played this level again after I unlocked infinite magnum ammo:D

dogknight said:

My friend and I (5-3 spoiler)
stopped shooting at Jill the first time we did the fight and killed her, so we didn't realize that only shooting the thing a few times would loosen it. We literally grabbed her over 20 times and pulled at her chest (it was almost a joke, at the end she was never free for more than a second before I'd regrab her), as Sheva I even back-flipped her to the ground some points and pulled at it unsuccessfully... our fingers were aching but after a couple of dozen times it actually popped off.
We got the Masters of Removing trophy, didn't even know about the other one.
We just hid the full seven minutes

Hesemonni

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Edit:
Anyone else not a big fan of Jills looks post REMAKE? She looked a little more mature in the previous games imo and looks...spaced out a little bit with her more recent character model? She looks younger than Claire as well from what we see of her in RE5.
Then again RE5's model are allover the place. After the abomination that became Chris it would've been a miracle if they had actually made a decent job with Jill. Come to think of it they did a pretty good job with some of the non-legacy characters, like Josh and Sheva.
Kard8p3 said:
Did you guys notice that a certain document in the marshlands seems to be inspired by the itchy tasty document from RE1?
Yeah, I certainly noticed that. Too bad it didn't quite deliver and felt like a poor rehash.

...just like the whole game sofar! *runs*

Polari

Anyone else experiencing a really fucking annoying bug where co-op games frequently drop out? A friend and I have played loads of games over XBL lately and never had this problem. We had the problem in the demo too and it's so much more annoying in the game 'cos it means you have to do large parts of shit over and over again. Fuck you Capcom.

bigswords

Polari said:
Anyone else experiencing a really fucking annoying bug where co-op games frequently drop out? A friend and I have played loads of games over XBL lately and never had this problem. We had the problem in the demo too and it's so much more annoying in the game 'cos it means you have to do large parts of shit over and over again. Fuck you Capcom.

Nope, check your router I guess.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Mercs mode is gdlk. I need more levels.

Wesker (s.t.a.r.s.) is a monster and destroys everything. We owned up the level with the lickers so hard that all of the enemies stopped spawning. We walked around for like a minute and a half. :lol

Bodom78

Polari said:

A friend and I played through the campaign and it happened quite a bit (His was Shiva) and as a result would miss the level complete achievements.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Polari said:
I've never had any problems. The only time anyone has ever dropped out on me is as a result of my internet dieing (hooray for shitty routers).

Check your router settings, NAT type and all that jazz.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Anticitizen One said:
You do realize wesker being all matrix was established in Code:veronica over ten years ago right? The director of RE 5 was kinda stuck with it for continuity sake. Thats why im happy the wesker plot ended in this game. By "sci-fi bases" you mean the labs? The labs have looked like they do since the inception of RE. Remember the huge laboratory you fight in at the end of RE 2? Looked idential almost. As for tricell, remember that they were hinting that there was a 2nd company? (The one ada has been working for since RE 2) Its assumed in the time since that Tricell has been seizing Umbrellas assets. Thats pretty realistic to me. There was a similar storyline in the Jurassic Park novels.

I agree there was alot of silly stuff chris punching a boulder, a lava battle straight out of episode 3:revenge of the sith, and what was with irving, does he still live in the 1930s or something? Seemed like hes from Fallout 3 or Bioshock and stumbled into the wrong game universe.
I haven't played Code Veronica, but somebody mentioned that. Even so, I'm willing to bet that Code Veronica still seems kinda down to earth when compared to this mess. I'm not excusing it, though.

When I said "labs" I was thinking of the huge room with a movable platform in the middle and test subjects lining up along the walls, not labs per se.

Having a second company isn't a problem in itself, it's a problem when it's persented as sloppy as here. The moment you hear "Tricell" you know they're gonna be corrupted or something.

Then we've got the whole part about "right to be a god" and those dialouges and sequences that makes me shudder because they're so silly :)

eso76

U K Narayan said:
Dead Space is better by a mile.

unspoiled.

Bela Lugosi said:
Dead Space doesn't deserve to smell RE5 shit !

seriously, DS was unexpectedly good, and had a nice setting and atmosphere at first (after a while, all that game did was put you in locked rooms and keep throwing ugly aliens at you until everything gets more tiring than frightening and loses appeal pretty soon imo) and the whole game revolved around 3 ideas (one of which -the asteroids minigame- was in fact a BAD idea).
I believe this is one fine example of paradox where an unexpectedly good game is perceived as a masterpiece and an overhyped game which turns out 'just (very) good' gets a lot of hate.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
eso76 said:
seriously, DS was unexpectedly good, and had a nice setting and atmosphere at first (after a while, all that game did was put you in locked rooms and keep throwing ugly aliens at you until everything gets more tiring than frightening and loses appeal pretty soon imo) and the whole game revolved around 3 ideas (one of which -the asteroids minigame- was in fact a BAD idea).
I believe this is one fine example of paradox where an unexpectedly good game is perceived as a masterpiece and an overhyped game which turns out 'just (very) good' gets a lot of hate.

Wait, RE5 is getting a lot of hate? From where?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ItsInMyVeins said:
Wait, RE5 is getting a lot of hate? From where?
It gets hate from the same people who were determined to hate it prior to its release (NO MIKAMI!!!? NO SALE I SMELL SOMETHING BAD I KNOW THIS WILL BAD I AM GOING TO BE VERY CRITICAL ON THIS I JUST KNOW I'LL HATE IT BUT I HOPE IT'S GOOD BUT IT WILL BE BAAAAAD THIS NEW SCREENSHOT LACKS ATMOSPHERE IT IS BAD), or are unwilling to play with another person.

dogknight

Fyrus said:
Anybody want to do the egg glitch on PS3? I have a rotten one.

You can do the rotten egg glitch all by yourself on 360. You need two controllers and two accounts. Your character stats can be saved seperately without another memory card. I am not sure if you can do it on PS3 though. Never tried this glitch, I prefer
lickers in 5-2

bigswords

Polari said:
No other game has this problem.

Are you the host or the person that joins in? If the person who joins is a regular co-op partner ask like another gaffer said, do check your nat, and other stuff. If you want to check whether it's not your router fault, do a direct plug in to your 360 or do a DMZ for your 360 ip.

Top Bottom