• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
The Wise Old Man said:
So don't design it as a stereotypical mansion. Design it as some sort of African villa or compound where some wealthy dude lives. You can still adhere to the RE mansion/castle feeling in an African setting and have it make sense.

Pandering? Maybe. Nothing wrong with going back to a tried and true formula IMO.

it sounds like you mean you just wanted something like the castle from re4. which i can agree with, since the castle was awesome.

Crisco

Banned
GuardianE said:
I haven't played Killzone2 yet, except for the demo, but I can say that Resident Evil 5 does look much better in later levels when compared to the earlier ones, particularly the lighting. Lighting and how it plays off of surfaces is the strong point of RE5.

Cool, looking forward to it. Hey, is it just me or are the intro cinematics (the bird lady one and the Chris driving into the city) pre-recorded video? There was a huge jump in sharpness when going from those to gameplay and the other cinematics. Also, bringing up the XMB during those felt like when you do it in a 60FPS game, vs. 30FPS during the rest of the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
plagiarize said:
i don't personally need every resident evil game to have a gothic building in it.

the castle was probably my least favourite area in RE4.

the nonstop feeling of 5 is part of why i've personally found it scarier. in RE4 any time you wanted to catch your breath you just needed to press your inventory. playing it online co-op on veteran you can't even pause the game. there's no 'stress reset' button so my tension has built beyond where it got to in RE4.

still a lot of it is subjective. the only enemies that really scared me in 4 were the dogs (which were hardly used), the invisible things in the castle basement (which stopped being scary once they stopped cloaking), and the regenerators. in RE5 i've found more of the enemies scarier, and more of the bosses scarier.

Oh, I completely agree that it's subjective. I categorize fear and tension a little differently. Resident Evil 5 is a constant bombardment and it makes you run away like a little girl at times, but those elements weren't really scary to me. They helped to create an adrenaline rushed fight or flight reaction.

Out of curiosity, what enemies were scarier to you? The enemies/bosses in RE5 are creative and grotesque, but none of them were really scarier for me at all.
It, Salazar's Right Hand, Regenerators, invisible insects, even the Village Chief... these were things that were scarier encounters than anything in 5 for me.

Crisco said:
Cool, looking forward to it. Hey, is it just me or are the intro cinematics (the bird lady one and the Chris driving into the city) pre-recorded video? There was a huge jump in sharpness when going from those to gameplay and the other cinematics. Also, bringing up the XMB during those felt like when you do it in a 60FPS game, vs. 30FPS during the rest of the game.
correctomundo. it's less obvious on the 360 version probably due to sharper gameplay (no quincunx) and blurrier video (disk space).

note, this post is mostly speculation.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Crisco said:

I guess we can't really say for sure since those beginning cutscenes don't showcase the alternate costumes. It's only after first getting your gun that Chris and Sheva start wearing their alternates in cutscenes.

Captain N

darkjedi187 said:
what is the 5-2 lickers money thing?

If you have a gun with unlimited ammo you go to 5-2. After shooting up some enemies it'll say 'Saving...' right before the
Lickers
. They drop a total of 5 hearts in under 2 minutes. It's worth 12,250 and you just quit and repeat.

USD

Wow, people are absolute garbage at The Mercenaries. God forbid they don't get a kill in time and keep the combo going. The kill ratio is always 80:20 or higher in my favor whenever I play with randoms. I'm better off playing solo, where the only person I have to depend on is myself.

jax (old)

Banned
GuardianE said:
I haven't played Killzone2 yet, except for the demo, but I can say that Resident Evil 5 does look much better in later levels when compared to the earlier ones, particularly the lighting. Lighting and how it plays off of surfaces is the strong point of RE5.

at no point in RE5 did the game ever wowed me like killzone 2 did. This looks videogamey, the grittiness and somewhat realism of KZ2 makes it a more robust/hefty looking title through and through. Its not all broken cityscapes too.

GuardianE said:
Oh, I completely agree that it's subjective. I categorize fear and tension a little differently. Resident Evil 5 is a constant bombardment and it makes you run away like a little girl at times, but those elements weren't really scary to me. They helped to create an adrenaline rushed fight or flight reaction.

Out of curiosity, what enemies were scarier to you? The enemies/bosses in RE5 are creative and grotesque, but none of them were really scarier for me at all.
It, Salazar's Right Hand, Regenerators, invisible insects, even the Village Chief... these were things that were scarier encounters than anything in 5 for me.
well like i say it's subjective. larger bosses scare me more, and RE5 has bosses on a much bigger scale than RE4 did. amorphous things bother me (which is why the regenerators scared me) the leech zombies in RE:zero are probably still the enemies that scared me the most in any RE game
big leech monster things... shudder
, not only are the dogs in RE5 scarier (looking and more lethal) they seem to be more numerous,
the insecty things late on that fuck up your vision scare me more than the invisible ones in RE4
plus,
i never really got over lickers and RE5 occasionally vomits corridor fulls of the things at you.

so there you go.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
GuardianE said:
lol, no.
But I sort of want to go back and fail on each QTE part to see what the death animation is. :)

the
back of the plane
scene has some really awesome one's ..

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
USD said:
Wow, people are absolute garbage at The Mercenaries. God forbid I don't get a kill in time and keep the combo going. The kill ratio is always 80:20 or higher in my favor whenever I play with randoms. I'm better off playing solo, where the only person I have to depend on is myself.

That's always going to be the case with Mercenaries. It takes time for more casual players to adjust to the scoring mechanism of Mercenaries. If you haven't played a lot of it in RE4, there's no reason for someone who just beat the game to be good at Mercenaries. So much of it depends on item placement and timing.

With randoms, I pretty much always see them as a liability in Mercs. They might kill enemies too fast and let a combo drop, or divert attention of recently spawned enemies so a combo can't continue.

jax (old)

Banned
plagiarize said:
well like i say it's subjective. larger bosses scare me more, and RE5 has bosses on a much bigger scale than RE4 did. amorphous things bother me (which is why the regenerators scared me) the leech zombies in RE:zero are probably still the enemies that scared me the most in any RE game
big leech monster things... shudder
, not only are the dogs in RE5 scarier (looking and more lethal) they seem to be more numerous,
the insecty things late on that fuck up your vision scare me more than the invisible ones in RE4
plus,
i never really got over lickers and RE5 occasionally vomits corridor fulls of the things at you.

so there you go.

RE4 was scarier. Ashley was a passive victim you had to protect and that made it a bit scarier. I had fun protecting from from the cultist with a sniper when she had to go it alone. Something is off with RE5 and I played it and finished it and was underwhelmed. The little courtyard with the hedging/maze and dogs in RE4 was more suspenseful than all of RE5. RE4 still had suspense. The initial start to the game in RE4 with the crazy villagers was scary as hell. The intensity of being overwhelmed was much greater in that game... Here, they barraged it so much that, it didn't feel so vital. Plus ammo was much more bountiful in RE5 making fear limited.

RE5 = 0 tension for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Jax said:
at no point in RE5 did the game ever wowed me like killzone 2 did. This looks videogamey, the grittiness and somewhat realism of KZ2 makes it a more robust/hefty looking title through and through. Its not all broken cityscapes too.

I certainly was wowed. I appreciate the whole grittiness/realism aspect to some games out there, but frankly I find realism overrated. Obviously, it's necessary for a game like Killzone 2, but just to compare, when I first popped in SF4, I was amazed at how brilliantly colorful the game was. And then I began to wonder why the hell more games weren't that vibrant. I don't need all my games to look realistic. I just want them to look good.

Good God the fight
with Jill was such a bitch playing on professional and solo. Finally beat it once I figured out flash rounds from the grenade launcher kicked her ass. But still if she managed to hit me, 9 times out of 10 Sheva would run up next to me like she was going to heal me, then just stand there the half a second that remained and watch me die.

Edit: is it impossible to get anything below a C in ranking. I died 19 times that round and got a C for deaths. Still got an A for the round, yay.

Crisco

Banned
plagiarize said:
correctomundo. it's less obvious on the 360 version probably due to sharper gameplay (no quincunx) and blurrier video (disk space).

note, this post is mostly speculation.

Uhm, wouldn't that make it more obvious?:lol

This game is definitely inferior to RE4.....the flow of the game, is broken, the buying weapons system also broken, and what's with some of the design choices i cant really understand.......and the Ai from the bot....:S.....

Davey Cakes

Just for kicks I watched the E3 2007 trailer again.

Oh what could've been.

As much fun as co-op is, the game back then looked far more intense.

Baker

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
:lol @ the end. Did anyone else fail at
the QTE where Sheva is falling? She has such a beautiful character model that I was literally staring into her eyes and even though I saw the QTE at the bottom of the screen and tried to hit it pretty fast I had to watch her slow heavenly drop from the plane :(
Haha. Cobra let my ass fall out of the plane the first time.

I really don't know what to say about this game. It doesn't feel like an RE game, it's too short, and Chapter 6 sucks. However, I've beaten it twice already and I'm going to start again tonight, so there must be something good about it.

USD

That's lame that there are Mercs exclusive weapons. I know that at least
BSAA Jill's
Px4 and
S.T.A.R.S. Wesker's
Samurai Edge aren't in the story mode. The Px4's 99% crit rate is sick. But then again RE4 Mercs had Krauser's Bow and Wesker's handgun with silencer.

USD said:
That's lame that there are Mercs exclusive weapons. I know that at least
BSAA Jill's
Px4 and
S.T.A.R.S. Wesker's
Samurai Edge aren't in the story mode. The Px4's 99% crit rate is sick.

I know. I'm absolutely gutted that you can't get the Samurai Edge in single player. Stupid idea if you ask me.

RE5 has a harder difficulty mode out of the box yes? are the people saying this one is too easy playing on veteran out of the gate? not pointing fingers just genuinely interested.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
plagiarize said:
RE5 has a harder difficulty mode out of the box yes? are the people saying this one is too easy playing on veteran out of the gate? not pointing fingers just genuinely interested.

Yeah, I gotta say that RE5 Veteran initial playthrough kicked my ass just as hard as Resident Evil 4's normal. I also made some poor upgrading choices.

I dunno, I've found the difficulty "just right" out of the box. Haven't been fusterated but things have still been a challenge. I mean, things are obviously a tad easier with all these RE4/Mercenaries Mode vets picking up RE5. I'm sure people who are new to the franchise are finding Normal Mode a bit more challenging though.

Davey Cakes

Duck Amuck said:
Yes, but honestly, with Sheva ai you'd have to be a masochist to play it on Vet the first time.
Pretty much.

RE5 has the veteran mode from the beginning, but that's mostly there for people who want to jump right into co-op.

And pro mode? Yeah, forget about that. It should come with a label that says "co-op only."

USD

So, how many people have beaten the game on Professional without using infinite ammo? I'm still in the process of upgrading the weapons I'll use on the mode, so I haven't tackled it yet. I might just run through with infinite ammo, get the money I need, then go through again without it.

i haven't played the single player yet, just co-op. it's been awesome to dive right into co-op and experience the story in co-op for the first time, rather than already knowing everything that is going to happen when you jump into co-op.

after my time with the demo i suspected that'd be the way to go, and i'm so glad i did. we'll see how i feel about the single player. in the demo i was unimpressed. single player 'felt' like RE4 with better graphics. co-op felt like a whole other game.

mercenaries offers co-op i know, but does the single player mercs have an ai partner?

Chinner

Banned
The difference between RE4 and RE5 is that RE5 is a hell of alot more compact experience. In RE4, there was many occasions when you were just running through enviroments maybe encountering one or two enemies, and these enviroments where the place were most of the traditional 'RE' experience is developed. They also made the game alot alonger as well. However in RE5 you have none of this, you're pretty much moving from scenario to scenario.

I can't even remember how many times I replayed RE4. I'm not sure whether or not the changes in RE5 will make it more replayable, but either way I can see myself playing through this on many occasions (already completed the game three times).

USD said:
So, how many people have beaten the game on Professional without using infinite ammo? I'm still in the process of upgrading the weapons I'll use on the mode, so I haven't tackled it yet. I might just run through with infinite ammo, get the money I need, then go through again without it.

I'm going through it single player so there's no way I'm not using infinite ammo.

USD said:

Just finished it using infinite ammo (I was playing solo so that has to count for something) and I while it certainly could be done without it, it would be a huge pain in the ass.

mattso

Rash said:
Pretty much.

RE5 has the veteran mode from the beginning, but that's mostly there for people who want to jump right into co-op.

And pro mode? Yeah, forget about that. It should come with a label that says "co-op only."
honestly chapter 1-1 is really the only super difficult part of doing veteran with ai-sheva for your first run through.

I did it and after that part making us die a few times nothing else was as hard.

Sectus

USD said:
I completed it not using infinite ammo and in coop. If you're playing in coop, it's fully possible although there's a few areas which are insanely difficult (remember to wear a bulletproof vest almost all the time, and a melee vest in any chapter with dogs). I haven't tried pro mode with the AI but that might become pretty much impossible (except for 2-3, which is the single chapter which is definitely easiest with the AI).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Baker said:
Nope. It sucks.

I'm really glad, actually. I want to have the option to play Mercs single player or with a friend. In a competitive mode like Mercs, the AI would just be a liability... and then you couldn't even say you got your score on your own.

Baker

Banned
mattso said:
honestly chapter 1-1 is really the only super difficult part of doing veteran with ai-sheva for your first run through.

I did it and after that part making us die a few times nothing else was as hard.
What was hard about 1-1?

I played through Veteran single player after beating Normal coop. The only choke points I can remember were 5-3 (
lickers on the bridge scenario
) and the conveyor belt part in whatever chapter that was.

Edit: Oh yeah, 6-2 (I think) sucked with the AI also. She either would stand directly in the line of fire or refuse to heal me. I ended up closing us in a room and positioning her against a wall away from the door.

Baker

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
Why the fuck would you want to play Mercs with an AI partner?
Because I don't care enough about Mercs enough to figure out combo strings solo. It's a lot easier with a partner.

Sorry, I meant no offense. I didn't know it was bigger deal to some.

Didn't recall anyone mentioning this but NECA announced their RE5 figures the other day

ChrisPackF.jpg
ExecutionerPackF.jpg

ShevaPackF.jpg
EXE_4_copy.jpg

CHRIS_3_copy.jpg
CHRIS___SHEVA_copy.jpg

They did the RE4 and SFIV figures btw. I'm a fan of their work and look forward to picking up Chris and Executioner at least ...don't know about Sheva lol

I seem to remember critics bashing on the final boss in RE5 being too confusing to figure out how to beat. I also seem to remember that back in the old days, bosses generally were confusing to figure out on purpose, that being part of the gameplay- to figure out how to beat it, and then actually beating it.

RE5's final boss took me back to those older generations of games that had, you know, bosses that took more brainpower than FIRE ALL ZE MISSILES!!@11 so thank you Capcom for not treating us like pussies, even if it meant getting some whining from the Halo generation :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Silicon Knight said:
I still can't get over the size of Chris' arms. :(

It's especially hysterical because the LE Guide explains that Capcom actually downsized Chris's arms from a previous version they had.

Baker

Banned
GuardianE said:
I haven't tried playing Mercs Co-op actually. Can you still resuscitate yourself like when playing Mercs solo?
Nope. It works just like the game: partner has to revive you.

Top Bottom