• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Chinner

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
ShevaPackF.jpg
got dis for free as it was a promotional gift with every purchase. would of preferred chris.

hmm...im starting to wonder..

Was Jill's role originally going to be sherry and they made a decision to change it at the last minute? That would explain why her charecter model looks younger and she has blonde hair (even though I know a file gave a half ass explanation why her hair changed). Wasn't it confirmed by one of the people working on RE 5 that sherry would be in the game

I would have much rather the game take place inside spencer mansion and I would have rather had Jill instead of sheeva and Barry Burton or Rebecca Chambers instead of Josh.

ShinAmano

Silicon Knight said:
I still can't get over the size of Chris' arms. :(
Seriously though if I were in a zombie outbreak not once, but twice in my life and decided to get into the profession of investigating this type of stuff...all my off time would be in the gym making damn sure I was ripped enough to punch a zombies head clear off.

Anticitizen One said:

Was Jill's role originally going to be sherry and they made a decision to change it at the last minute? That would explain why her charecter model looks younger and she has blonde hair (even though I know a file gave a half ass explanation why her hair changed). Wasn't it confirmed by one of the people working on RE 5 that sherry would be in the game

I would have much rather the game take place inside spencer mansion and I would have rather had Jill instead of sheeva and Barry Burton or Rebecca Chambers instead of Josh.

Yeah I remember them saying something about Sherry being in the game a long time ago.

Completed a Normal story mode run-through yesterday, delayed some by going back and playing maybe 30% of the stages out of order on Veteran.

Official cumulative clock under the stage tallies says 9 1/2 hours to finish but that doesn't reflect of course my returns to replay those stages on Veteran, nor a couple stages again on Normal (which I assume shortened the total with updated times).

Really liking the game as I have all RE games to date. An adaptable RE fan here, safe to say.

I'm also having little trouble with Sheva AI now (Veteran), smart and predictable. Equipping her with the first MG and pistol, she would competently use the first on Cover and the latter on Attack throughout the game. Also for her Attack mode, I would give her a shotgun when stuck alone in close quarters, and the rifle when I was the one needing cover. Also, anytime she went errant, a tap of B brought her back in line well enough.

Even then, the few times the AI gives me concern I actually don't mind. After all, she's supposed to be a bit green whereas Chris is now a bit of a grizzled veteran, so it seems proper--intended or not--that she won't always get it right.

I did sample one stage online with a co-op partner and that was fun and may do so again on whim in the future, but still prefer using Sheva AI in a game that is "all mine". When time to go with Professional though, I can see the co-op being harder to pass on.

Currently playing and getting used to the Sheva perspective in Mercenaries.

Other notes: managed 11 medallions w/o guide, and saw one i wasn't sure how to reach in one of the last stages; try to find a few more before hitting a faq

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anticitizen One said:

Eh, I wouldn't take those rumors seriously. A Capcom rep also was quoted as saying the game would be run and gun. Also, Steve Burnside and other misc. characters were to make an appearance, supposedly.

It seriously looked like Jill from the very first screenshot. I still don't understand all the people who were claiming that it didn't.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Um...so I was playing last night and I found the face of evil E.T. in some bags by a wall.

etBags2.jpg

flipped and distorted:

etBags3.jpg

:lol

Dyno

Anyone see an official strategy guide for this game? I'm nearly finished my first play through and I'm curious as what I've missed. Funny but I haven't seen a guide in the two game stores I went to.

Played a "bit" more, I'm just cleared chapter 2-3, so I have a better idea of what truly offers this game, and It's exactly what I was expecting, RE4 on steroids + Co-op, and it's awesome, truly awesome, I don't think it's better than RE4, the surprise factor it's lost and overall, RE4 had better design. But this game it's pure unaltered fun, and co-op is awesome, there's a big difference, this game was designed around co-op, and it shows, for example
the larvae/flying insect boss fight, it's way more fun in co-op, setting a nice strategy,etc.. than having to drag Sheva with you, not only she probably will waste a lot of ammo without hurting him, it's useless because she don't even can plant mines, so you have to do all the job.

Saiyu

Alright just traded in Killzone 2 for this and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping there will be more puzzles or things other than shooting as that's what I liked from the original RE games, but the gameplay is fun (with a co op partner, haven't tried single player).

Couple of questions, can I dodge people/thrown weapons up close as strafing seems so slow?

Also, is there a specific way of bringing up the X button prompt, since it seems random when I can roundhouse/somersault etc.

Magnus

Quick question:

Can treasures be combined at all, a la RE4? I haven't seen evidence of this at all yet; is it safe to just sell absolutely every one you find right away?

DrBo42

Magnus said:
Quick question:

Can treasures be combined at all, a la RE4? I haven't seen evidence of this at all yet; is it safe to just sell absolutely every one you find right away?
Correct.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
just finished the first 2 chapters, playing in co-op.

this game is AWESOME. I'm having a great time. At first I tried to get used to the default controls, but I quickly learned that type C was the scheme for me. It's like the RE4 controls with a rotatable camera, love it.

The co-op really makes this game. We always have extensive upgrade and buy sessions post chapter, plus it's a great way to take a breather and talk about the game. I have to say that I don't even miss the merchant all that much.

The chapter 2 end boss (
bearded el gigante
) was great. My buddy and me are RE4 nuts, so we enjoyed the fanservice. We both started laughing when the boss
exposed a total of 6 Las Plagas, fantastic
. That's like how the entire game feels so far: More of everything, bigger and more badass. RE4 on roids.

Saiyu said:
Alright just traded in Killzone 2 for this and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping there will be more puzzles or things other than shooting as that's what I liked from the original RE games, but the gameplay is fun (with a co op partner, haven't tried single player).

Couple of questions, can I dodge people/thrown weapons up close as strafing seems so slow?

Also, is there a specific way of bringing up the X button prompt, since it seems random when I can roundhouse/somersault etc.

Yes I remember you can evade some attacks, and thrown weapons as well if you anticipate it, going from the demo because im playing with Type A.

Yeah, shooting the head, will put their hands of their face and you will be able to attack it with a Falcon Punch, and shooting the legs (knees) will make them fall on their knees then you can do an uppercut.

careksims

Hehe It's hilarious to play co-op when both of us have
INF Rocket Launchers.
I think the
INF rocket launcher
requirements should have been stricter. Still it's just hilarious to use.

I also think there should be more longer levels. I was hoping the first level had more to it and was bummed that some of the stuff we saw in the earlier trailer didn't make it in the game. Needed more variety of enemies too. After letting the experience sink in, I'm thinking more of what else they should have done.

If they sold extra mission levels, I would be up for it!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Saiyu said:

It honestly depends how far you are from the enemy. Strafing from a medium distance should be enough to avoid projectiles, but otherwise a quick run to the side is the safest bet. Another techinque is to "Fake out" a projectile thrower, as the enemy will anticipate your trajectory before throwing an object... so if you run forward as they're throwing, but then immediately stop and move in another direction, they'll usually miss.

To initiate the context sensitive X Button prompt, the enemy must be in a particular stagger animation. This comes up when a regular majini is shot in the head, elbow, or knee. You get a different X Button attack depending on if you're in front or behind the Majini. You also get a Grounded X Button attack for floored enemies.

careksims said:
Hehe It's hilarious to play co-op when both of us have
INF Rocket Launchers.
I think the
INF rocket launcher
requirements should have been stricter. Still it's just hilarious to use.

I also think there should be more longer levels. I was hoping the first level had more to it and was bummed that some of the stuff we saw in the earlier trailer didn't make it in the game. Needed more variety of enemies too. After letting the experience sink in, I'm thinking more of what else they should have done.

If they sold extra mission levels, I would be up for it!

Can't remeber ...what stuff didn't make it in?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Grimm Fandango said:
Do you have to reload with infinite ammo?

Nope.

I agree with Duck on the last page for his analysis. RE5 is good, but something about it just makes it feel slightly less amazing than 4 was to me. Could be that whole first experience thing, I dunno.

Neiteio

industrian said:
I only played one chapter with an AI partner
the chapter with the conveyor belts, and the boss you use the flamethrower on
and they did pretty well. Well, considering I just used them as a mule for ammo before giving them the AK for the boss. AI Sheva did the job well, and she allowed me to stock up on ammo before my friend came back online. :)
Seeing as that's the level where the AI has the toughest time (Sheva will occasionally get caught on the belt and swept into the furnace), you'll do fine in single-player should you ever want to tackle it alone.

I just beat the game on Normal in single-player. I'm simply blown away by all the whole experience, especially the whirlwind of events at the end, from
roasting Uroboros Aheri by satellite laser
(which looked so good and had a you-are-there intensity), to
Wesker grabbing rockets, Sheva looking soulfully into Chris' eyes as she nearly falls off the bomber, and the sheer spectacle of the volcano and Wesker's final form
. I then tried Mercs, getting A on Public Assembly on my first try with Chris, then taking a stab at the Mines with
the lovely Jill
and getting a C (when the
Reapers
came I was all "Oh shit!"). Mercs already owns my gaming soul.

Now it's time to get the remaining emblems (I have more than half of them) to unlock figures for
STARS Chris, Tribal Sheva and Uroboros Aheri
, and after that I want to A-rank and S-rank all stages for the figures of
BSAA Jill
and
Uroboros Wesker
. I have a question:
how does one get an S rank
? Does time matter, or is it simply about not dying, killing a lot of baddies and high accuracy? If I do it on Amateur for some levels, will I still get the figures, and if I get S's before A's, will I still get
BSAA Jill's figure
?

Oh, and for those of you who don't know what Uroboros is in real life, READ UP.

Ouroboros.png

This is Ouroboros, the "tail-devouring snake," symbol of eternal recurrence. I thought people would be interested to see where
Wesker
derived the plaga virus' name from. Makes sense with his whole mission to keep the circle of life going by
"saving" humanity from itself with a bit of forced evolution

careksims

AgentOtaku said:
Can't remeber ...what stuff didn't make it in?

I'm watching that 2007 trailer again. There a whole LOT more guys on screen. This was all before Sheva was added right? Looked way more intense and one of the manjini pinned Chris down to the floor. Manjini using chairs. I guess it's not much of a change, but I like to have that in.

RE5big.jpg

All those Majini throwing axes at him.

RE5big2.jpg

They got that chainsaw guy on that map too. Imagine having the big axe dude and the chainsaw guy on the same floor.

Neiteio

Duck Amuck said:
I'm reading some topics in the RE5 gfaqs forum

and lmao

"Who would you rather sleep with Chris or Wesker?"
"Remember, RE5 is NOT an action game."
"Would you sleep with Chris or Wesker to get with Excella?"
"Who got hard when Wesker was topless"

:lol
If it's a crime to see
Chris, Sheva and Jill in the chopper at the end
and think dirty thoughts about what the three of them did after the adventure... Guilty.

The fan fiction for this game will be, uh, "interesting."

Metroidvania

Neiteio said:
Now it's time to get the remaining emblems (I have more than half of them) to unlock figures for
STARS Chris, Tribal Sheva and Uroboros Aheri
, and after that I want to A-rank and S-rank all stages for the figures of
BSAA Jill
and
Uroboros Wesker
. I have a question:
how does one get an S rank
? Does time matter, or is it simply about not dying, killing a lot of baddies and high accuracy? If I do it on Amateur for some levels, will I still get the figures, and if I get S's before A's, will I still get
BSAA Jill's figure
?

IIRC, it's enemies killed, times died, accuracy, and time overall, so yes, time does matter.

Nice work on the Uruboros, I had vaguely heard the name somewhere before in one of my mythology classes, but couldn't place it.

I'm watching that 2007 trailer again. There a whole LOT more guys on screen. This was all before Sheva was added right? Looked way more intense and one of the manjini pinned Chris down to the floor. Manjini using chairs. I guess it's not much of a change, but I like to have that in.

The first screen, at least, is sort of shown, in the very first big wave after you jump out the window in 1-1.

I like RE5 TONS more replaying than I did the first time. Same thing happened with RE4.

For me, replaying 4 was about the experience again, true, but it was also about upgrading the shit out of my weapons to make them elite. 5's weapons and upgrading system just seem a little sterile in comparison. I'll see how I feel after a professional run, I suppose.

Neiteio

Neiteio said:
Oh, and for those of you who don't know what Uroboros is in real life, READ UP.

Ouroboros.png

This is Ouroboros, the "tail-devouring snake," symbol of eternal recurrence. I thought people would be interested to see where
Wesker
derived the plaga virus' name from. Makes sense with his whole mission to keep the circle of life going by
Just want to bump this to the next page because I love this shit.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
RE5big.jpg

there isn't that much more enemies in Mercs mode? (I never played Mercs in my life and I'm on 5-3 on the game)

{Mike}

Banned
It's so easy to "grind" weapons...just do 5-3, kill two reapers, defeat monsters and go grab the necklace, quit, repeat, in 2 hours you'll have grinded most weapons :lol

Metroidvania

dgenx said:
RE5big.jpg

there isn't that much more enemies in Mercs mode? (I never played Mercs in my life and I'm on 5-3 on the game)

Maybe, MAYBE about about half to 3/4 of that number on mercs at once if you stand around not killing anything for more than a minute. But you'll still never see them all next to each other like that, as they spawn randomly, AFAIK.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Neiteio said:
Ouroboros.png

Wesker

Wasn't Ouroboros mentioned in Silent Hill as well?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
{Mike} said:
It's so easy to "grind" weapons...just do 5-3, kill two reapers, defeat monsters and go grab the necklace, quit, repeat, in 2 hours you'll have grinded most weapons :lol

Farming 3-1 is much easier. No enemies, tons of treasure. Just avoid picking up the key slabs and the enemies don't spawn so you have free reign to drive the boat all over, grab the treasure, grab the free rocket launcher, quit and do it over and over. Quick easy money.

Chinner

Banned
Sinatar said:
Farming 3-1 is much easier. No enemies, tons of treasure. Just avoid picking up the key slabs and the enemies don't spawn so you have free reign to drive the boat all over, grab the treasure, grab the free rocket launcher, quit and do it over and over. Quick easy money.
Chapter 4-1 is also very good. You can make about 50k in each runt hrough.

beelzebozo said:
how do you farm the level? play it, save, quit to title, load? i'm confuzzled.

also, chapter 2-3 felt lazy.

Start, reload checkpoint or keep redoing it from "Ch. selection" screen in main menu

Nikorasu

{Mike} said:

Don't forget beating
wesker
at the end makes the Heart of Africa treasure appear when you fight
jill
. That thing alone is worth 10,000. There are also about 3 other treasures you can find during that fight.

Saiyu said:

You can also shoot stuff out of the air, the thrown axes, spears, dynamite, etc... Hell, you can knife it out of the air if you're fast enough - I think knifing an arrow out of the air is even an achievement. Like others have said, to use the context sensitive attacks you have to put the enemy into a stagger or onto the floor. There are a couple of different stagger positions (leaning over, holding face, arm in the air, etc...) and each one will initiate a different attack when you hit the button.

The best way to cause the enemy to stagger, IMO, is not to shoot their face but their knee or foot; the thing about the enemies in RE is that they actually can still attack when they're heads are missing for a couple of seconds (because of the parasite in them). If an enemy is right on top of you, about to swing and you blast his head off in one shot with your pistol or rifle - you'll still get hit by his animate body before he dies.

Also, as you get further in the game a lot of enemies will be wearing some sort of helmet and even in the early chapters some of the enemies will sprout parasites if you blow their heads off - which can even happen if they're on the ground but at least at that point you can destroy the parasite before they stand up. If you pop an enemy in the knee or foot they'll almost always stagger back or fall down out-right, especially if they're charging toward you as you do it.

Metroidvania

Chinner said:

That's true, but it takes a while. Comparitively, you can run through 5-1 in under 5 minutes with 10k or more most of the time.

how do you farm the level? play it, save, quit to title, load? i'm confuzzled.

also, chapter 2-3 felt lazy.

Get the goods, then quit. It will ask if you want to save changes, say yes, reload level, repeat.

The next game better star Jill.

Hmm...Essentially, each of the "main" characters i.e. Jill, Claire, Leon, and now Chris have had their own standalone story. I'd love for another Jill or Claire now, but if Capcom's rumors have been true, since they've all had their own story, I could see them starting afresh.

Incidentally, I personally don't see the current franchise's story as "over". Yeah, end-game spoiler
Wesker is 'dead'
, but according to Ada's report in Seperate Ways, there are other pharmaceutical companies that are out there as well. Unless that was all retconned or non-canon, since Wesker somehow still got the real plagas sample even though Ada supposedly gave it to "S" company....

In b4 "RE story, lol".

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Chinner said:

This is where I get the most cash from. Lots of those gems in the lanterns plus the chests, as well as the gems you get after pulling each switch.

There are other areas to harvest cash but I like that one because it's not boring to do over and over. That level is so awesome to look at.

eso76

140.85 said:
Wasn't Ouroboros mentioned in Silent Hill as well?

Strider as well: first level boss.
it's mentioned everywhere, actually, most games bosses derive their name and appearance from those myths. I discovered this reading the 'illustrated monsters dictionary' i have at home ;)

Duck Amuck said:
End game spoiler:

I really don't like how they snubbed Jill. She's my favorite character in the series and she takes the backseat. They should have made Chris find out who Jill was earlier in the game and build up that rivalry and camaraderie. Because in essence Jill does jack shit in the game, even as bird lady. When you finally rescue her she's in the sidelines the rest of the game. She watches Chris and Sheva do the rocket on Wesker? Wesker has done more to Jill than he ever did to Chris and Jill's better anyways. It should have been Chris, jill, and Sheva together.

The next game better star Jill.

More Jill would of course have been nice. But I liked the building trust over the game between vet Chris (who I prefer as my RE avatar) and younger Sheva. And that trust and sacrifice between partners (old or new) made for a nice theme, reemphasized as it was at the end.

OTOH, I actually wouldn't mind if Jill showed up in the next game as Jill Redfield, rather than just dancing around the issue with this "partner" jazz. Leave Leon and Ada to entertainingly aggravate each other with the hard-to-get act.

mattso

I've just been joining games and playing whatever part they are on for money. Farming one part over and over seems like it would be too boring.

Teknoman

Alright vol, ready to continue tonight. Ended up getting sidetracked by Persona 4 then had to help someone else do some stuff irl.

Nikorasu said:
Don't forget beating
wesker
at the end makes the Heart of Africa treasure appear when you fight
jill
. That thing alone is worth 10,000. There are also about 3 other treasures you can find during that fight.

Whoops ....accidently read the 2nd spoiler as I thought you were talking about the
giant bat
that gives you 10k also

...oh well, I kinda figured that's where the story was headed anyways

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dermannmitdemcolt said:
Kojima has his faults as a writer but, hell no. MGS is leagues beyond RE in this regard.

both of them have interesting fiction beneath the gameplay, but neither of the stories are very well told.

ultimately whichever game you enjoy more AS A GAME is the one you'll lean toward. it's like that line from the little prince: "it's the time you spent with your rose that makes it special."

true of this as well. coming to like a character like wesker isn't because he's well written. it's because you've seen him around since you played the first RE when you were twelve.

Top Bottom