• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Duck Amuck said:
I still haven't managed him to drop the heart of africa. I'm missing like 11-12 treasures on my list.

Help?

You get the one dropped from the
Bat the second time
in the temple chamber?

Other than that and the final one in the
volcano
I have no idea which ones I'm missing either. Probably some random square or pear cuts, ugh.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Man, I really don't like those insect enemies. I've replayed one area where I meet two of them three times now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've been thinking more about the game and determined that the desert turret sequence and the boss fight which follows it were kind of a wasted opportunity. I really think it would have been incredible if they had taken a route similar to that of the swamps and allow one player to drive the hummer while the other mans the gun. You could have small settlements all over the place that you have to hit along the way which give you an idea of where to go. This would train the player in the driving mechanics and allow for fun exploration in a large, open area (which was quite lovely). Then, bring in the boss but this time allow one player to drive while the other mans the guns during this fight. Imagine having this huge boss chase after you and knocking over buildings. I think it could have been incredible. Furthermore, they could have even integrated some QTEs into the encounter by allowing him to pick up the hummer or something else along those lines. The turret sequence wasn't too bad, but man, that boss fight was such a waste. Just sitting there with two turrets blasting away at him didn't really cut it. They could have done a much better job with it.

both of them have interesting fiction beneath the gameplay, but neither of the stories are very well told.
Oh, come now, I think MGS has always stood far ahead of RE in terms of how it presents its narrative to the player. At the very least, it keeps you guessing and throws plenty of crazy twists at the player.

Maybe, MAYBE about about half to 3/4 of that number on mercs at once if you stand around not killing anything for more than a minute. But you'll still never see them all next to each other like that, as they spawn randomly, AFAIK.
There's no question that MT Framework could easily pull off a large crowd like (just look at Dead Rising), however, I believe Capcom tested this and determined that large numbers of enemies simply aren't all that fun to fight against in most situations. For a while, it was viewed as a very cool idea to stick the player in a massive battlefield, but the reality is that it simply isn't fun in most cases. I already think RE5 often throws more enemies at you than is necessary. There is a lot of single enemy interaction present in RE4 and 5 that would be spoiled by huge crowds.

Man, I really don't like those insect enemies. I've replayed one area where I meet two of them three times now.
Shoot their weak spots in the proper order and you'll take them down quickly.

dark10x said:
I've been thinking more about the game and determined that the desert turret sequence and the boss fight which follows it were kind of a wasted opportunity. I really think it would have been incredible if they had taken a route similar to that of the swamps and allow one player to drive the hummer while the other mans the gun. You could have small settlements all over the place that you have to hit along the way which give you an idea of where to go. This would train the player in the driving mechanics and allow for fun exploration in a large, open area (which was quite lovely). Then, bring in the boss but this time allow one player to drive while the other mans the guns during this fight. Imagine having this huge boss chase after you and knocking over buildings. I think it could have been incredible. Furthermore, they could have even integrated some QTEs into the encounter by allowing him to pick up the hummer or something else along those lines. The turret sequence wasn't too bad, but man, that boss fight was such a waste. Just sitting there with two turrets blasting away at him didn't really cut it. They could have done a much better job with it.

I'm sure they just didn't wanna risk taking a budget hit and visual hit with something like that.
But I agree, it's easily the laziest spots in the game ...especially the boss fight

mattso

dark10x said:
Shoot their weak spots in the proper order and you'll take them down quickly.
The few times I've taken them down with just 2 rifle shots I've felt pretty awesome

Other times I waste so much ammo on them.

I think they are definitely the toughest enemies in the game

Nikorasu

Metroidvania said:
You get the one dropped from the
Bat the second time
in the temple chamber?

Other than that and the final one in the
volcano
I have no idea which ones I'm missing either. Probably some random square or pear cuts, ugh.

Doesn't the
second bat
drop a soul gem? I'm pretty sure the only HoA is in 5-3. Also where is the final treasure in the
volcano
?

Ploid 3.0

Neiteio said:
Just want to bump this to the next page because I love this shit.

wtveab.jpg

Duck Amuck said:
End game spoiler:

I really don't like how they snubbed Jill. She's my favorite character in the series and she takes the backseat. They should have made Chris find out who Jill was earlier in the game and build up that rivalry and camaraderie. Because in essence Jill does jack shit in the game, even as bird lady. When you finally rescue her she's in the sidelines the rest of the game. She watches Chris and Sheva do the rocket on Wesker? Wesker has done more to Jill than he ever did to Chris and Jill's better anyways. It should have been Chris, jill, and Sheva together.

The next game better star Jill.

Yeah I find it very interesting that Africa was even chosen as a setting given how great the flashback sequences would have been as an actual game.
Jill and Chris exploring Spencer estate in co-op with the game ending with Jills "death"? Awesome...a little too awesome.
With that said though I'm so glad
Sheva survived. I don't think she's as interesting as the "sacred" 4 but I think I would place Sheva at Rebecca Chambers status at this point in terms of popularity. Certainly not a Billy or Carlos level but a pretty good addition to the cast.

dark10x said:

Granted your idea would have been awesome. Though I get the feeling maybe they just were not comfortable with a scenario like that with driving mechanics. I mean I know we have had the boats in RE4 and now RE5, but still perhaps something more could have been done.

Though I have to admit I still found that segment exciting and awesome.

Dark FaZe said:
Yeah I find it very interesting that Africa was even chosen as a setting given how great the flashback sequences would have been as an actual game.
Jill and Chris exploring Spencer estate in co-op with the game ending with Jills "death"? Awesome...a little too awesome.
With that said though I'm so glad
Sheva survived. I don't think she's as interesting as the "sacred" 4 but I think I would place Sheva at Rebecca Chambers status at this point in terms of popularity. Certainly not a Billy or Carlos level but a pretty good addition to the cast.
But what would Spencer have in his estate? It's not like he fight off the zombies and he wasn't able to host Las Plagas control or he wouldn't be dying.

Finally got the achievement after
killing Wesker for the 3rd fucking time
. Joined just after the start of the sub chapter the first time and the second time I was disconnect just, literally just as had killed
Wesker

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
VaLiancY said:
BSAA Jill is so OP in Mercenaries. I'm just watching the headshots roll.
:lol

That coupled with flash grenades for Plagas and the strongest grounded attack in the game makes her one tough cookie. Her only real issue is having a more powerful weapon for miniboss enemies.

Zeouterlimits said:
But what would Spencer have in his estate? It's not like he fight off the zombies and he wasn't able to host Las Plagas control or he wouldn't be dying.

We're pretty much talking about the grand daddy of Umbrella. There would be absolutely no issue at all in creating some kind of advanced biohazard scenario there.

USD

GuardianE said:
That coupled with flash grenades for Plagas and the strongest grounded attack in the game makes her one tough cookie. Her only real issue is having a more powerful weapon for miniboss enemies.
Yeah, you have to make sure your partner is playing a character with a high-power weapon. But she's one of my favorite characters to play with.

USD said:
Wow, people are absolute garbage at The Mercenaries. God forbid they don't get a kill in time and keep the combo going. The kill ratio is always 80:20 or higher in my favor whenever I play with randoms. I'm better off playing solo, where the only person I have to depend on is myself.

QFT

VaLiancY

USD said:
Yeah, you have to make sure your partner is playing a character with a high-power weapon. But she's one of my favorite characters to play with.

I'm in love
with her so much. Grenades help with those mutated bulletproof plagas and minibosses.

Christopher

Wow the fight in 6-2 sounds amazing on the sound system!

Also just so I can book mark it when I'm finsihed the game where is a good place to stock up on gold guys??

scitek

This game has gotten stuck on loading screens three separate times, and the last time it made me go back about 20 minutes and redo the boss with the flame thrower. Annoying shit.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Christopher said:

Also just so I can book mark it when I'm finsihed the game where is a good place to stock up on gold guys??

There are quite a few suggestions on the previous page. My fav is Ch. 4 because a) Lots o' Loot and b) I like ogling the level in general.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Duck Amuck said:
Just wait till after you beat both of them. They're a cakewalk compared to what happens next.

I finished those first two easily just after I wrote that :lol

Let me tell you, those two that come next managed to corner me in a small room upstairs. I ran there to check if something useful was in there, but all I found was some crappy ammo. When I was gonna go out both of 'em stood right outside the door (I didn't expect them to get there so fast). Fuuuuuuck was my thought at that point. They just punched me around for a while in that small room, but I managed to get out somehow and ran like hell. But it was total chaos when I found that stationary gun and they jumped up right next to me. And when I tried to reload my magnum I just stuck to the stationary all the time :lol

I managed to take them out, but I used up a lot of ammo and health.

Other than that, I just finished the last fight which was kinda bullshit. After he first follows you up to that little area he transforms and goes after Sheva pretty fast. But one time he took like 5-6 magnum bullets, 100+ maxed out SMG bullets and a lot of handgun bullets before he did. I don't know why.

BeeDog

I have a question regarding difficulties and trophies:

I've only finished the game on Normal, and had the odd chapters finished on Amateur and Veteran (this on co-op with Dave1988). Thus I hadn't finished the game on Veteran to unlock Professional.

Today, I co-oped a bit more with Dave1988, and since he was the host he chose Professional (and we finished a couple of chapters). Now, when I play the game (alone), I am able to choose Professional myself even without having Veteran finished.

Will this pose any problems at all regarding the trophies you get after beating the game on Veteran & Professional? Thanks.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Christopher said:

5-2
Have an infinite ammo gun. Get to the part where it saves before the lickers, kill the lickers and get the Lion Hearts. Quit and make sure you save your equipment. Continue your game. Repeat as much as needed
You get like 12,500 per run and they take like 2 minutes. :D

Llyranor

You probably get all the trophies if you finish on Pro. At least, in the 360 version, you get the achievements for the easier difficulties than the one you finish with.

BeeDog

Llyranor said:
You probably get all the trophies if you finish on Pro. At least, in the 360 version, you get the achievements for the easier difficulties than the one you finish with.

Yep, I know it's like that if you do a proper runthrough (I got the Easy and Normal trophies that way). What I was wondering is if unlocking Prof. like I did, and then finishing the chapters randomly (without doing a full New Game run) would fuck anything up.

neoism

RE4 ..................................................................RE5
-gameplay............10..........................................-gameplay................10
-fun.....................10.........................................-fun ........................10
-replay.................8............................................-replay....................10
-value..................10.........................................-value......................10
-innovative............10..........................................-innovative..............8
-story............Doesn't MATTER..........................-story....Doesn't MATTER
-OVER ALL 10.....................................................OVER ALL 10
It's a classic and will remain so for a............. It's my favorite in the series so far,
long time! Bought it twice, and it was............. it sucks it's not more like a RE game,
worth every penny! ........................................but for what it is, it does very well.
Loxley said:
That must have been fun to type out :D
lol yeah, it took a while to get right lol:lol :lol :lol

BeeDog said:
Yep, I know it's like that if you do a proper runthrough (I got the Easy and Normal trophies that way). What I was wondering is if unlocking Prof. like I did, and then finishing the chapters randomly (without doing a full New Game run) would fuck anything up.

Dont have an answer for you, but I had to post how lol I think it is to try to beat every chapter on professional with no infinite weapons, or at least without a run-through's worth of upgrades or being able to upgrade guns further than the chapter allows you to on a first run-through.

I know some people can probably do it but I'm certain they designed pro mode assuming you have infinite weapons. Hell, I have to load my inventory with more sprays and herbs than guns at times to make it through some levels.

By the way, I don't know if anyone else noticed this but either professional gives you way more gold to pick up in general or when the game chooses an item to drop it always chooses gold when you only carry infinite weapons. Played through the first and second full chapters and found maybe 3 total pickups of handgun ammo, and everything else was gold, double the amount from veteran obviously. MUCH more fun to get gold this way than to reload exploit.

Sectus

Woot woot! Got 251k on public assembly in online coop, and 414k on the same map using a rather silly tactic. I'll have videos posted of the playthroughs later. My approach to mercenaries changed completely once I learned you can
kill everybody! Literally! The amount of enemies in mercenaries isn't infinite, it ends after 150 kills and you get an additional bonus based on your remaining time. I had no idea it worked like that.

Baker said:
What was hard about 1-1?

I played through Veteran single player after beating Normal coop. The only choke points I can remember were 5-3 (
lickers on the bridge scenario
) and the conveyor belt part in whatever chapter that was.

Edit: Oh yeah, 6-2 (I think) sucked with the AI also. She either would stand directly in the line of fire or refuse to heal me. I ended up closing us in a room and positioning her against a wall away from the door.
I think it's due to the fact you only have pistols for 1-1. Sheva isn't that great when only using a pistol, I had a few similar problems in 1-2 as well. But after Sheva got access to the shotgun and sniper rifle things became a lot easier.

careksims said:
They got that chainsaw guy on that map too. Imagine having the big axe dude and the chainsaw guy on the same floor.
That wasn't the chainsaw guy, that's the early model for the axe guy (you can see he's carrying the axe). I'm not sure if there's that much point in comparing the early trailers to the current game, some things does look more impressive, but we don't know how much of that was actually implemented properly in the game. Something like the break grab->straight punch makes me believe that a good deal of the stuff was made just for the trailer and not how the game was intended to be played. But well, who knows, it must have been an early early version of the game anyway.

Duck Amuck said:
End game spoiler:

I really don't like how they snubbed Jill. She's my favorite character in the series and she takes the backseat. They should have made Chris find out who Jill was earlier in the game and build up that rivalry and camaraderie. Because in essence Jill does jack shit in the game, even as bird lady. When you finally rescue her she's in the sidelines the rest of the game. She watches Chris and Sheva do the rocket on Wesker? Wesker has done more to Jill than he ever did to Chris and Jill's better anyways. It should have been Chris, jill, and Sheva together.

The next game better star Jill.
When Jill was revealed I had a small theory that Sheva would be kidnapped or something, and then the second player would have to play as Jill until you rescued Sheva. I think that would have been rather neat.

Actually, after playing mercenaries mode I'm a little disappointed there's no story missions where you play as Jill or Wesker. Capcom put a LOT of effort into making those characters. They've got unique animations for just about everything. Even their idle animations (which is almost impossible to see in mercs mode) are unique.

USD

Sectus said:
Actually, after playing mercenaries mode I'm a little disappointed there's no story missions where you play as Jill or Wesker. Capcom put a LOT of effort into making those characters. They've got unique animations for just about everything. Even their idle animations (which is almost impossible to see in mercs mode) are unique.
I wish that Capcom would have pulled a DMC3:SE and let you play with both through the story mode, even if didn't make sense at all. Either that are a separate Separate (haha totally unintentional) Ways-style mode

Sectus said:
Woot woot! Got 251k on public assembly in online coop, and 414k on the same map using a rather silly tactic. I'll have videos posted of the playthroughs later. My approach to mercenaries changed completely once I learned you can
kill everybody! Literally! The amount of enemies in mercenaries isn't infinite, it ends after 150 kills and you get an additional bonus based on your remaining time. I had no idea it worked like that.

Holy shit I just shat my pants. I cannot effing believe I've played mercs for as long as I have and
still haven't gotten to some sort of ending where you get a bonus because you killed every enemy.
WHAT THE MOTHER FUCK.

fuck fuck fuck, mother mother fuck, mother mother fuck fuck mother fuck mother fuck noise noise noise, one two one two three four noise noise noise...

/J&SB

george_us

Just beat it an hour ago. The game does pick up towards the end but it's still quite a ways from RE4. In any case, it's still a great game and is worthy of GOTY status. I guess I just have to keep in mind that RE4 was a once in a generation game.

Baker

Banned
Sectus said:
I think it's due to the fact you only have pistols for 1-1. Sheva isn't that great when only using a pistol, I had a few similar problems in 1-2 as well. But after Sheva got access to the shotgun and sniper rifle things became a lot easier.
I went through the whole Veteran campaign with Sheva only using the 2nd or 3rd pistol (unlimited ammo). I carried around a machine gun and sniper rifle.

In retrospect, that was dumb on my part but the thought never even crossed my mind that she could be competent in battle so I didn't even bother with it.

So someone explain why Mercs is so awesome since I apparently just don't get it? Is it all about spawn memorization? Even in co-op we'll come to points where after endless running around, we don't see any enemies to keep the combo going. Well, at least I don't, I can't vouch for my partner.

Is it better to group or or stay on separate sides?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
plagiarize said:
I know this is redundant at this point, but i've been staying out of this thread until i was a good ways through the game (5-3) for fear of spoilers.

holy fuck this game is good. RE4 is my favourite game ever (and I won't reassess that until after I beat RE5) but RE5 has at least met my expectations.

for the record i've been playing it co-op exclusively so far, and i can't imagine the single player being nearly as good, but as a co-op game it's definitely on a par with 4.

we're playing on veteran and it's taken us about 14 hours to get this far. i played for 11 hours straight the first night until the point my vision went all fucked up and i got massive migraines. those are gone now and i should beat it tonight.

graphically... wow. just wow. Killzone 2 may technically have it beat in terms of lighting/pixel shading etc, but it's a coin toss if you put the two games side by side to me. the art design in RE5 is just off the charts.

it does make me look at 360 exclusives and wonder just what a company like Naughty Dog could do on the system if a multiplatform game like RE5 can look this fucking good. seriously, if the best looking game on your system is a multiplatform game, that really puts the developers working on the exclusives to shame.

come on Rare. you're really the only hope for the 360 to be pushed to it's maximum.

this game feels like Resident Evil to me. it's a scarier game than RE4 (though definitely not the scariest in the franchise).

it's incredibly paced.

Dead Space was awesome, but yeah, i'm with Dark. RE5 is the better game. much better enemy variety. much better mission variety. much better bosses. Dead Space was tightly focussed and brilliantly polished, but RE5 is epic in scope and scale in ways that Dead Space doesn't remotely compete with.

I don't know if it looks better than Gears 2...

Sectus

Baker said:
I went through the whole Veteran campaign with Sheva only using the 2nd or 3rd pistol (unlimited ammo). I carried around a machine gun and sniper rifle.

In retrospect, that was dumb on my part but the thought never even crossed my mind that she could be competent in battle so I didn't even bother with it.

So someone explain why Mercs is so awesome since I apparently just don't get it? Is it all about spawn memorization? Even in co-op we'll come to points where after endless running around, we don't see any enemies to keep the combo going. Well, at least I don't, I can't vouch for my partner.

Is it better to group or or stay on separate sides?
Enemies spawn randomly (based on your current position) so there's no memorization involved besides knowing the map and where all the time bonuses are. What makes it so awesome is that it's just a furious amount of fun.

When you say no enemies around to keep the combo going, do you mean literally no enemies? Each map is divided into specific regions which has their own amount of enemies. So if you kill everybody at one place, you need to progress to another place to get more enemy spawns. There's usually 1 or 2 regions per map with 70 or 60 enemies per region.

Davey Cakes

careksims said:
I'm watching that 2007 trailer again. There a whole LOT more guys on screen. This was all before Sheva was added right? Looked way more intense and one of the manjini pinned Chris down to the floor. Manjini using chairs. I guess it's not much of a change, but I like to have that in.
The co-op has proven to be pretty awesome. But, it's the driving force of the game, and certain sacrifices had to be made because of it.

Honestly, I'm starting to wish I could have played this game in the form it would've taken without the addition of Sheva. Something tells me it would've been even more intense and horrifying. The environment would be even more intimidating. The feeling of being overwhelmed would've increased tenfold.

The series had already changed directions with RE4, and was headed further away with RE5, but co-op sealed the deal.

george_us said:
Just beat it an hour ago. The game does pick up towards the end but it's still quite a ways from RE4. In any case, it's still a great game and is worthy of GOTY status. I guess I just have to keep in mind that RE4 was a once in a generation game.

This is why I can't wait for RE6 if they are planning to do another overhaul like they say they are. I mentioned this earlier but it really sucks thinking how long it will take for them to do this RE reboot with 6.

I like to think of this analogy: RE5 is to RE4 as RE3 is to RE2 or RE2 is to RE1 in different ways...

see RE2 and RE1 I could consider almost the same game but with a different setting/characters and minor improvements. RE2 kinda makes RE1 more "co-op" with the changes made when you play as leon after claire or vice versa, and RE5 makes RE4 co-op in a different way.

RE3 comes around and you're just jill but switch to carlos for a part, but yet again its the same way of controlling RE2 and RE1 (but now you have nemesis), so RE5 is to RE4 with the same controls.

You didnt have to wait too long for RE3 to come out after RE2, so it is with RE5 (compared to the wait between 3 and 4 and between 5 and future 6 "reboot").

RE3 even had what you could call a better mercs mode, because 2 had its own little minigame at the end and then it becomes much more compelling with RE3 and a scoring system, extra time for kills and characters with different loadouts, much more fleshed out than RE2's hunk and tofu and whatnot. So it is with 5, its 4's mercs mode but with 160 different A, S, or SS ranks to obtain for each combo of solo/duo+character+level compared to RE4's 4 maps with 5 characters = 20 ranks to obtain that arent even properly recorded for each character if i recall.

SO I know all that is really confusing but my point is that its like how RE3 comes out and it's not as good (in most people's eyes) compared to RE2 but still a solid addition to the series and worth your time and money. So everyone seems to think with RE5, its just as fun as RE4 and well worth your money, but yeah RE4 scored better and still is considered the better game.

If you don't really agree with all that, think of it this way, would you rather have an RE 4.5 with co-op now, or have to wait longer for the game, but its another complete reboot like RE4 was and RE6 will supposedly be? I'm overjoyed to have more RE4 to play with, this time with a partner! (although it sucks that the RE6 reboot is delayed because of RE5's development time)

Christopher

wow...it's finally over...I can't believe it after 5 games this chapter is closed. What an amazing game...people were dissapionted by this? This was awesome IMO!

Finally Wesker is defeated...I always watned a game with just Chris and Jill to bring him down...and I sorta got it so I'm happy with what I got! i'm really impressed that it actually 1uped Resident Evil 4 and that was almost impossible to do! Hopefully they just leave it as it is now....get some new characters and just move on.

All in all though excellent game I was truly impressed.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The people demand Leon S. Kennedy, super soldier, in Resident Evil 6. It was good to see chris again, but he didn't pull off 1/4th the insanity that Leon did.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I cant get past this goddamn POS malicious baby seal beating meteorite raping Dan Quayle LOADING SCREEEEEEEN.

Why cant I play RE5, God? WHY?!

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

AngryDome.gif

wow mercenaries faq on gamefaqs now, clears up a shit-ton of things.

1000 points per second left on the clock? sheeeeeit

i should also mention, it does a pretty good job explaining where on the map you must be to continue spawning majini after you kill 50 or however many are in your zone.

Top Bottom