• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

jax (old)

Banned
Christopher said:
wow...it's finally over...I can't believe it after 5 games this chapter is closed. What an amazing game...people were dissapionted by this? This was awesome IMO!

Finally Wesker is defeated...I always watned a game with just Chris and Jill to bring him down...and I sorta got it so I'm happy with what I got! i'm really impressed that it actually 1uped Resident Evil 4 and that was almost impossible to do! Hopefully they just leave it as it is now....get some new characters and just move on.

All in all though excellent game I was truly impressed.

But really? Fighiting
Wesker in a freaking volcano is your idea of a solid end to his story?
I personally much rather the story taking them back to
spencer castle or racoon city or something to that effect where the story makes a bit more sense for closure. I hated the ending.. it was pretty shitty. Wesker can apparently tolerate lava?

WIKIPEDIA RESEARCH
Lava is extremely hot. Lava can reach temperatures of about 1250° Celsius. ...

I loved chris but new chris was so meaty and stupid... anyhow... leon felt more complex as a character anyhow.

Jax said:
But really? Fighiting
Wesker in a freaking volcano is your idea of a solid end to his story?
I personally much rather the story taking them back to
spencer castle or racoon city or something to that effect where the story makes a bit more sense for closure. I hated the ending.. it was pretty shitty. Wesker can apparently tolerate lava?

WIKIPEDIA RESEARCH
Lava is extremely hot. Lava can reach temperatures of about 1250° Celsius. ...

I loved chris but new chris was so meaty and stupid... anyhow... leon felt more complex as a character anyhow.

clearly wesker is protected by (in his voice)....UROBOROSSSSSSS

But yeah, as much as I would love going back to racoon city, I do believe at the end of every resident evil the entire place you just spent 20 game hours in is destroyed by 20 nuclear warheads or something.

Maybe they could pull a "Fallout 3" by going back to racoon city and despite nuclear wreckage, many buildings are only about 1/4 (if that much) destroyed.

Ice Monkey said:
wow mercenaries faq on gamefaqs now, clears up a shit-ton of things.

1000 points per second left on the clock? sheeeeeit

i should also mention, it does a pretty good job explaining where on the map you must be to continue spawning majini after you kill 50 or however many are in your zone.

I was actually wondering what happened one time in the Missile Area when the game ended with 25 seconds left and I got a ton of extra points.

Ice Monkey said:
This is why I can't wait for RE6 if they are planning to do another overhaul like they say they are. I mentioned this earlier but it really sucks thinking how long it will take for them to do this RE reboot with 6.

I'll bet you anything that RE6 will be a full-on action shooter with 4 player coop.

Fyrus said:
What's the best way to get points (for infinite ammo and such)?
Is there any specific level that's easy to S-rank?

lol about 7 gaffers ask that question every page on this thread. Try the licker room (hall of lickers that saves your game right as you enter), reaper slaughter (missile area that saves your game very near) or rotten egg exploiting wont tell you how because you shouldnt do it :p)

edit: whoops, I'm an idiot. Try mercs! You get like 1000 points every 5 minutes or so, even if you do terribly!

Fyrus said:

Play chapter Chapter 2-3: Savannah. It takes about 10 minutes. It's the jeep level. Easy to S rank even on higher difficulties.

Facism

chandoog said:
it does ..

I disagree. Flat, lifeless and generally static locales and an apparent abundance of low-res textures is what makes up RE5's stages. The only aspect i think that can compare to GoW2 is Chris' character model.

It still looks good, sure. Just not flat out amazing or epic like GoW2's locales and environments.

Red Blaster said:
I'll bet you anything that RE6 will be a full-on action shooter with 4 player coop.

I think they already named it too, Gears of Resident Halo 6.

I think I read in gamepro that microsoft paid them $72 million for exclusive versus DLC yesterday.

Erebus

Facism said:
I disagree. Flat, lifeless and generally static locales and an apparent abundance of low-res textures is what makes up RE5's stages. The only aspect i think that can compare to GoW2 is Chris' character model.

It still looks good, sure. Just not flat out amazing or epic like GoW2's locales and environments.

I don't know if Gears 2 is technically superior but RE5 definitely looks more appealing in the eyes. Wider colour palette helps a lot.

USD

Fyrus said:
If you're awesome at it, The Mercenaries is the best. An SS rank will net you 5000 points. An S will still get you 3000.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Facism said:

That is what really sets them apart. The character models in RE 5 are fantastic but Epic went bananas makings those environments.

Stared a Veteran speed run with a friend, we are in the top of almost every chapter.

Here are my times and ranks:

Chapter 1 - Rank #99 12'44"
Chapter 2 - Rank #15 17'40'
Chapter 3 - Rank #7 20'42"
Chapter 4 - Rank #5 11'58"

:D

eso76

Wooo ! !
S-ing all the way through veteran, currently on 3.2 !
I rule !

Actually, i wouldn't have completed 1.1 if it wasn't for my unlimited ammo magnum. I wonder what happens if you kill axe guy through the gate before he tears it down, which is quite easy to do with said magnum. maybe you're trapped there forever ?

just finished it, great game:D , but where do we go from here?

does capcom continue with a jill/chris story? or shift back to leon/claire? or just an entirely new cast of characters?? i personally want it to be another jill gameI want barry back dammit!!.

does capcom continue with a jill/chris story? or shift back to leon/claire? or just an entirely new cast of characters?? i personally want it to be another jill game. i want barry back in the game dammit!!!

edit: sorry for the dbl. post, got one of those stupid errors when i posted : /

Erebus

eso76 said:
Wooo ! !
I rule !

Actually, i wouldn't have completed 1.1 if it wasn't for my unlimited ammo magnum. I wonder what happens if you kill axe guy through the gate before he tears it down, which is quite easy to do with said magnum. maybe you're trapped there forever ?

I assume you're trapped there until Kirk arrives.:lol

eso76

Wooo ! !
I rule !

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
_tetsuo_ said:
The people demand Leon S. Kennedy, super soldier, in Resident Evil 6. It was good to see chris again, but he didn't pull off 1/4th the insanity that Leon did.

Hmm....come to think of it, he's the only one without closure. Ada's still out there somewhere, and where the fuck is Sherry? Claire found her brother, Chris...end-game spoiler
got Jill and killed the man who betrayed his team
...he's clearly the logical choice.

does capcom continue with a jill/chris story? or shift back to leon/claire? or just an entirely new cast of characters?? i personally want it to be another jill gameI want barry back dammit!!.

Supposedly, it's an entire series overhaul. Whether that means characters, game mechanics, or both, is still up in the air.

EraldoCoil said:

I'd like a Chris/Leon teamup, but I'm pretty sure the sheer awesomeness of such a thing would cause the universe to explode. I'd also like to see some other characters brought back into the fold such as Billy Coen, Carlos Oliviera, Barry Burton, and even Rebecca Chambers.

Fuck, I pray to God Capcom doesn't churn out a Smash Bros Type fighting game with Resident Evil characters: all the good guys, the baddies such as Wesker and Krauser, hunk, a zombie or two, etc. Hmm, on second thought, a Resident Evil fighting game could have potential now that I think about it...

neoism

WretchedTruman said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I cant get past this goddamn POS malicious baby seal beating meteorite raping Dan Quayle LOADING SCREEEEEEEN.

Why cant I play RE5, God? WHY?!

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

AngryDome.gif
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol sorry to laugh at your pain, but that was funny!

_tetsuo_ said:
I don't know if it looks better than Gears 2...

are you kidding me? RE 5 beats geaers 2 in terms of graphics by a long shot.

That 2 on 2 boss battle towards the end looked like a CGI movie with charecters running around doing backflips and shit. I would even say Re 5 outshines KZ 2 in terms of graphics in some respects (better lighting etc.)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anybody got any tips for Mercs? I can't get above a C on Public Assembly with Chris or above a D with Sheva. It never seems like there are enough enemies to keep a chain going.

Natural

Get an A on each level to unlock Characters, getting a B on each level unlocks another level.

Not to sure about the extra costumes.. though i'd imagine completing the game on Normal and Veteran would unlock them..?

RoboPlato said:
Anybody got any tips for Mercs? I can't get above a C on Public Assembly with Chris or above a D with Sheva. It never seems like there are enough enemies to keep a chain going.

Always keep one enemy alive until the combo is about to finish, by then more should have spawned.

Holy crap sectus, thanks for the mercs tips, I had no idea about that stuff.

Anticitizen One said:
are you kidding me? RE 5 beats geaers 2 in terms of graphics by a long shot.

That 2 on 2 boss battle towards the end looked like a CGI movie with charecters running around doing backflips and shit. I would even say Re 5 outshines KZ 2 in terms of graphics in some respects (better lighting etc.)

I wouldn't say it had better lighting than KZ2, but RE5 us pretty damn impressive graphically. Some of the scenes regardless still dropped my jaw.

Talladega Knight said:
I'd like a Chris/Leon teamup, but I'm pretty sure the sheer awesomeness of such a thing would cause the universe to explode.

This is true :lol

Oh my sweet goodness @ STARS Wesker. Triple barreled shotgun + magnum + stttttarrrrz pistol ftw. It's silly how sweet his setup is :O. The only thing that I fail to kill consistently are those damn Reapers :(

KilgoreTrout said:
I wouldn't say it had better lighting than KZ2, but RE5 us pretty damn impressive grapically. Some of the scenes regardless still dropped my jaw.

I would love to see a horror game made on the KZ2 engine, the lighting and shadows with a flashlight in the dark would just look amazing.

USD

Baloonatic said:
Love
Battle Suit Jill
in Mercenaries. Take out the legs, Double Knee Press, rinse and repeat. Sniper rifle is awesome as well.
My general strategy (same with the other variant of the character, though there's also the pistol in that case) is to SMG them in the upper chest while pulling up my aim to their head at the same time, hitting them with about 5 shots in the process, then kicking them. A bit faster and gets the same job done.

I like that there's a small bonus time awarded for melees, it encourages you to go for them often (at least your faster ones).

Ariexv

So how does split-screen Co-op work w/ the Ps3 version since the 360 version uses gamertags? One of my friends was complaining his g/f couldn't save or upgrade her stuff or something when they played split-screen.

Anyone know what type of boots/shoes his are based off of? ...they're pretty damn rad!

I remeber Leon's were just based off a standard infantry boot you could pick up at any military surplus...

Sectus

Hmm, giving the magnum to Sheva works surprisingly well actually. She only ever uses it on bosses or minibosses. I just fought the 2 chainsaw guys in 3-2 and she pretty much behaved the same way I behaved when I first encountered them. She ran and hide! And used the sniper rifle and magnum if she was safe and had a clear line of sight.

tass0

Banned
Damnit. I finished RE5 twice now and the game still doesn't recognize that I completed it :/ some chapters for some reason remain uncompleted in chapter select ...

Dave1988

What the hell is up with the "Who do you trust?" trophy? I'm already 75% through Professional and I still haven't been rewarded with it. What gives?

RoboPlato said:

I just started getting SS ranks like a friggin mofo after I just went berserk in each stage and killed every enemy as soon as i saw them. Look at gamefaqs the mercs faq, it tells you the different regions to rotate between.

Here's one way you would do the mines level: get all time bonuses first, then start out in EITHER the mine itself or the big circular area, and slaughter enemies. After you kill about 30-40 enemies or so, go to the other area. If you rotate between the areas as listed in the mercs faq, you will have a constant supply of enemies and getting a super long combo is not even THAT necessary because you can just get many smaller combos and youll get the points necessary for an SS rank in no time. DO NOT CAMP a level unless you are knowledgeable about the separate regions and simply camp till you run out of enemies and then move on to another region.

USD

tissot said:
If I were to start a new game or join a co-op game, would I lose all my weapons and items?
Nope. Your inventory is persistent across all of story mode, single player or coop.

Pojo

Banned
Ariexv said:
So how does split-screen Co-op work w/ the Ps3 version since the 360 version uses gamertags? One of my friends was complaining his g/f couldn't save or upgrade her stuff or something when they played split-screen.
I also wonder this. Played a bit with my friend...does he get the same upgrades I get? Surely he isn't stuck with low-powered weapons with split screen...

Oh, and when you play on a higher difficulty, do you still keep the upgrades from a lower difficulty? Trying to figure this out is more confusing than it should be.

Dave1988 said:
What the hell is up with the "Who do you trust?" trophy? I'm already 75% through Professional and I still haven't been rewarded with it. What gives?

If you press circle/B when your partner heals you, you'll thank them. Do that enough and you get the trophy.

dogknight

EraldoCoil said:
apologize if it's been asked already, how do you unlock more characters for the mercenaries mode? and the extra costumes as well?
You need to get Rank A on every map to unlock all the characters.

Pimpbaa

Talladega Knight said:
I'd like a Chris/Leon teamup, but I'm pretty sure the sheer awesomeness of such a thing would cause the universe to explode.

That would be sausage fest. A good resident evil always needs a girl.

AkuMifune

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Chapter 2 - Rank #15 17'40'

What? How? Who? Where am I?

That time is unconscionable. The best I can do is twice that, and I thought I was trucking.

But I'm still playing alone. I'm surprised how few of my friends picked this up.

Pimpbaa said:
That would be sausage fest. A good resident evil always needs a girl.

But you need two guys to make a Jill sandwich...

Top Bottom