• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Smallville Season 9 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just re-watched it.

Clark looked like he was gonna kill Ollie when he was holding that bullet.

"I could have let you die. Treat her well or you don't get another."

:lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
More good ratings news. 2.6 million for last night, meaning it another new high for the season.

Now come on CW, you have a chance to do something here on Fridays. Maybe move Supernatural to Fridays at 9? You'd have a night of solid shows: probably the first steady Friday in the history of the station (even counting The WB).

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
This show is a vice I just can't quit. I'll give it this though, so far the arc this season has been more cohesive than last year's trainwreck.

And Lois is just adorable.

GCQuinton

Just caught up with the season and liking it so far. Hadn't seen it mentioned here, but I like how Zod's chairman of the RAO Corporation. Nice way to sneak that one in :lol

This episode is actually pretty interesting and explains a lot of the inconsistencies with past seasons. The plot is just FLYING along.

Spike Spiegel said:
Yeah, next episode is... :lol

"Wonder Twin Powers Activate!"
My bro is actually excited about it.

He never watches Smallville and wants to because of the WonderTwins.

Who knew my brother liked Incestuous Aliens.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Holy crap. That was one of my favorite episodes of the show ever. I'm shocked at how well they pulled off a plot like this.

I was worried that they would fuck up continuity by a) ignoring the fact that Jor-El had visited that farm in the past the picked the Kents as a place to send his son, and b) forgetting that he is supposed to look like Clark's twin when he's young.

They mentioned that he had been there in the past and made him an older Jor El, so the lookalike thing wasn't an issue at all.

Smallville doing a good job with continuity? Who would have thought!

Seriously, love love loved this episode. This is easily the most well thought out season-long arc they show has ever had.

mercboyz

damn good episode. like how they pulled in the crystals and the orb together. might be the best start to the season yet.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. The fact that they made (some) sense of the season 4 crystal plot was neat.

Flash

The_Inquisitor said:
Fuck I stopped watching around season 6. I think it's high time I fill the netflix queue and catch up.

First half of season 8 was pretty much amazing. After you finish the episode Legion just bail out though. And season 9 is pretty great as well so far with today's episode being probably one of my favorite episodes in smallville.

Seth C

It's a shame they didn't give us an episode or so with Jor El around. It would have made the eventual end a little more emotional for the audience I think.

xrich

Banned
so basically, ALL of this seasons budget went into the first 4 minutes of this episode? :lol i mean it still wasnt great, but compared to the airplane CG a few weeks ago it was like night and day

ZeoVGM

Banned
xrich said:
so basically, ALL of this seasons budget went into the first 4 minutes of this episode? :lol i mean it still wasnt great, but compared to the airplane CG a few weeks ago it was like night and day

When I caught up to that episode, I was expecting something much worse than what I got considering this thread.

I mean it looked a little worse than the plane stuff in season 5 of Lost. I don't think they have the money in TV budgets to do much better.

But yeah, the beginning of this episode was pretty awesome, as was the trial. It's pretty obvious the budget was raised for this season overall.

First half of season 8 was pretty much amazing. After you finish the episode Legion just bail out though. And season 9 is pretty great as well so far with today's episode being probably one of my favorite episodes in smallville.

Oh I wouldn't agree with that at all. Lana's final episode was pretty good stuff. That last scene was heartbreaking. And this is from someone who thought Lana should have been gone at the end of season 6.

The overall Lana arc brought things down a little because they should have had more Lois/Clark stuff instead, but that episode was pretty great. But when Lois came back, the season felt the same as the first half. It had the Zatanna episode, the one where Clark and Tess were on the plane and ended with Jimmy becoming badass and telling Chloe off, Clark telling the world about his powers before using the Legion ring...

Overall it was a really good season that could have been done better in parts.

But yeah, that finale was super disappointing and rushed. Should have been a two-parter with a bigger budget for a non-sucky fight. The same for the Doomsday origin episode too, though that was better.

For me, it's 5 > 3 > 8 > 6 > 2 > 7 > 1 > 4.

Solo

Hate to agree with omg_rite, but this was the best episode of Smallville since S5. I dont think its one of the all-time best, but it was very good, and the season has been really nice overall.

omg rite said:
For me, it's 5 > 3 > 8 > 6 > 2 > 7 > 1 > 4.

And now I get to disagree with omg_rite :lol So much wrong with that ranking. S6 and S7 should never be placed above anything, except eachother. Awful seasons. You have them above 1, 2, and 4, which is ludicrous. 1 and 2 are back when the show actually had some juice and heart, and 4, while not good on the whole, at least has a few standout episodes, which neither 6 or 7 do.

EDIT: Might as well throw up my rankings:
S3 > S2 > S1 > S5 > S9 so far > S8 > S6 > S7

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
Hate to agree with omg_rite, but this was the best episode of Smallville since S5. I dont think its one of the all-time best, but it was very good, and the season has been really nice overall.

Holy shi.. oh, wait.

And now I get to disagree with omg_rite :lol So much wrong with that ranking. S6 and S7 should never be placed above anything, except eachother. Awful seasons. You have them above 1, 2, and 4, which is ludicrous.

I don't see that as ludicrous at all. I rewatched the entire series about 10 months ago and as soon as I did that, it was PAINFULLY obvious that both 6 and 7 are better than season 4. 4 is a trainwreck in every possible way. Sure, it had a couple cool episodes. So did season 6 of 24, but that was trash as well.

1 and 2 are back when the show actually had some juice and heart, and 4, while not good on the whole, at least has a few standout episodes, which neither 6 or 7 do.

Season 7 has Lionel's death, which is one of the best episodes of the show. I think season 6 is good, especially thanks to the introduction of Oliver. And I enjoyed all of the Lionel stuff. The Lex/Lana thing was creepy and wrong and that's a big reason why I liked that relationship as part of the show.

I agree 7 is very poor. The first half pretty well sucked and they screwed up Supergirl's introduction with some terribly lame plots. But the second part does have the "Veritas"/"Descent" combo, which alone makes it better than 4.

4 really was that bad.

Though to be fair, I actually screwed up my ranking. I meant 1 > 7 > 4, not 7 > 1 > 4.

But trust me, I like season 6 and season 5 is my favorite season of the show. That won't be changing anytime soon.

ZeoVGM

Banned
On another note, I love the fact that I get to say this week after week, but ratings were good yet again! :D Highest rated episode of the season.

Smallville WON the 8-9pm hour among adults 18-34 (1.3/4), men 18-34 (1.5/7) and men 18-49 (1.5/5-tie).

Smallville again climbed to a new season high in adults 18-34 (1.3/5), adults 18-49 (1.2/4), men 18-49 (1.5/5) and total viewers (2.76mil). This also marks our best performance here in these demos in over a year (Sept. 08).

Smallville was up vs last week by 8% in adults 18-34, 7% in men 18-34, 9% in adults 18-49, 15% in men 18-49, and 14% in total viewers.

Solo

Smallville sure as hell isnt GAINING new viewers in its NINTH season, so I can only assume these weekly ratings spikes are due to fans finally following it to the new night. Either way, nice job.

RE: S4, S6 and S7

Looking at the Wiki entries for the episode lists, I just realized that S4 has only 2 episodes I love (Crusade, Transference), while S6 has only 1 (Zod), and S7 has none :lol
To finish it off, S1 has 5 (Pilot, Rogue, Leech, Nicodemus, Stray, Tempest), S2 has 6 (Heat, Red, Insurgence, Rush, Rosetta, Exodus), S3 has 7 (Exile, Phoenix, Perry, Shattered, Asylum, Memoria, Covenant), S5 has 5 (Arrival, Hidden, Splinter, Solitude, Reckoning), S8 has 2 (Bride, Doomday), and S9 has 2 (Echo, Kandor).

Exile is my favorite episode of the show. I loved the whole Metropolis/Red-K Clark arc. Too bad they wrapped it up so soon.

EDIT: I dont generally jive with fan music videos, but I saw this one a few years back, and it appears he updated it recently so that it covers S1-S8/ Very well done, and the music is fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYFSsFD2qk

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
Smallville sure as hell isnt GAINING new viewers in its NINTH season, so I can only assume these weekly ratings spikes are due to fans finally following it to the new night. Either way, nice job.

RE: S4, S6 and S7

Looking at the Wiki entries for the episode lists, I just realized that S4 has only 2 episodes I love (Crusade, Transference), while S6 has only 1 (Zod), and S7 has none :lol
To finish it off, S1 has 5 (Pilot, Rogue, Leech, Nicodemus, Stray, Tempest), S2 has 6 (Heat, Red, Insurgence, Rush, Rosetta, Exodus), S3 has 7 (Exile, Phoenix, Perry, Shattered, Asylum, Memoria, Covenant), S5 has 5 (Arrival, Hidden, Splinter, Solitude, Reckoning), S8 has 2 (Bride, Doomday), and S9 has 2 (Echo, Kandor).

Exile is my favorite episode of the show. I loved the whole Metropolis/Red-K Clark arc. Too bad they wrapped it up so soon.

EDIT: I dont generally jive with fan music videos, but I saw this one a few years back, and it appears he updated it recently so that it covers S1-S8/ Very well done, and the music is fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYFSsFD2qk

You REALLY didn't like Descent in season 7? That final scene with Clark and Lex over Lionel's grave was one of my favorite in the whole series.

I agree with the red-K arc, by the way. One of my favorites. I had always thought it would be cool if they did a big arc with Clark being infected by red-k (bloodstream, perhaps) and everyone coming together ala the Buffy Scooby Gang and needing to stop him somehow.

Kind of like the Angel season 4 arc where he becomes Angelus for multiple episodes.

But that'd be too much for Smallville I guess. Heh.

Solo

No. They fucked with Lionel's character so much over the years that I no longer had any attachment to his character. They never, and I mean, NEVER, should have changed his character from the magnificent bastard he was in S1-S3 into some kind of of weird vessel/father figure. Such character assassination. Lionel was at his best when he was 10x more devious than even Lex was.

Medalion

Banned
Fantastic episode, best of the season thus far.

Big backstory on the Kandorian/Krypton, some continuity from past seasons mentions like Jor-El visiting Earth etc.

Callum Blue once again great as Zod.

I love the fucking nod to the Superman movies with the Courtroom scene on Krypton with the silhouetted faces! Surprised so few people mentioned it.

This is what I want to see, less shipping business, more mythos!

They reused the Krypton/Kandor scenes from previous 2 seasons.

Awesome episode loved the back story so many touches of the 70's Superman and Zod so good at being so bad. Dear writers please keep up the good work.

Ripclawe

Banned
Smallville’s coolness quotient just soared to new heights.

Blaxploitation icon-turned-L-Word staple Pam Grier is joining the cast for multiple episodes, sources confirm to me exclusively.

Grier has been booked to play DC Comics villainess Agent Amanda Waller. Never heard of her? This should bring you up to speed.

The Golden Globe nominated actress (for Jackie Brown) will make her debut in the second hour of the upcoming Justice Society-centric two-parter, “Legends,” scheduled to air in late January.

Pretty cool, huh?

you go Smallville

wow @ the episode last week, the story was incredible. They need to do more of this type of backstory episodes instead of the filler episodes. I wish they kept Jor-el alive for an episode or two at least, but it at least makes for an epic confrontation later this season.

xrich

Banned
really beginning to hate Tess. when she was lying to Clark about not knowing where his father is, all i could think about was how crappy her acting is. it just pales in comparison to Lex, so sad. bring back Lex!

although it is pretty interesting that Clark has shown Tess once and for all.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sweet...

"Entertainment Weekly is reporting that The CW has decided to turn "Smallville's" upcoming Justice Society-themed two-parter into a two hour movie event airing on January 29.

Written by Geoff Johns, the episodes - titled "Society" and "Legends" and featuring such DC Comics stalwarts as Stargirl, Hawkman, and Dr. Fate - were originally designed to air separately.

Scooper 'CW Insider' also tells us that The CW gave the two-parter a huge budget upgrade."

Darklord

Banned
omg rite said:
On another note, I love the fact that I get to say this week after week, but ratings were good yet again! :D Highest rated episode of the season.

Then please give it a budget boost so clark doesn't have to use a PSP as a high tech GPS.

Matrix said:
Sweet...

"Entertainment Weekly is reporting that The CW has decided to turn "Smallville's" upcoming Justice Society-themed two-parter into a two hour movie event airing on January 29.

Written by Geoff Johns, the episodes - titled "Society" and "Legends" and featuring such DC Comics stalwarts as Stargirl, Hawkman, and Dr. Fate - were originally designed to air separately.
Great news; it's nice to see that the Smallville resurgence is making CW take notice of what the fans want.

Scooper 'CW Insider' also tells us that The CW gave the two-parter a huge budget upgrade."
Even better news! :D

Kevin

Today the CW has unveiled that they will be turning the two-part Justice Society of America, Geoff John episodes into a made-for-tv movie that will air on January 29th. I am also hearing that the budget has been slightly increased for this double episode movie. More details can be found here:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/11/11/exclusive-smallville-tv-movie-takes-flight/

Also a couple clips have been released for the next two episodes. Check them out:

Episode 8 "Idol":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-FWSkYDTs

Episode 9 "Pandora":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XctynomEWCE

Also there are a couple rumors:
-Martian the Manhunter will get his powers back in the two part JSA tv movie.
-Warrior Angel may make an appearance in a later episode tentatively entitled, "Warrior".

Actor Pam Grier has been chosen for the recurring role of Amanda Waller, a DC baddie. More details here:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/11/09/exclusive-smallville-lands-pam-grier/

Three new episode titles revealed:

9.13 - Hubris
9.14 - Conspiracy
9.15 - Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom