• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Smallville Season 9 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
Oh boy, we sure have fallen if a new establishing shot at a farm in British Columbia is something to look forward too :lol

Uh, looking forward to them shooting on an old set is related to the quality of the show? Nah. It'll just be neat to see.

Anyways, after 2 good eps to start the season, these last two have been lame, especially ep. 4. What Lois Wants? Tomb Raider Tess? And now they are oulling Clark and Lois through the will they/wont they yo-yo that they did for 6 seasons with Clark and Lana. Booooring.

That's such a silly complaint. The Lana thing was obviously too drawn out, but this is literally 4 episodes into the second year of Clark and Lois being romantic. What exactly should they do? Get married and have her find out about his powers next week? Come on.

Ashhong

Solo said:
Oh boy, we sure have fallen if a new establishing shot at a farm in British Columbia is something to look forward too :lol

:lol that Canada is a special place!

didnt we just see the barn? or was it just stock footage? he fought that girl from the future there

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ashhong said:
:lol that Canada is a special place!

didnt we just see the barn? or was it just stock footage? he fought that girl from the future there

I said exterior of the barn. The Kent household. They haven't filmed a scene there since, maybe the middle of season 7 or something? Not once last year.

The inside of the barn is just a set they use.

Ashhong

omg rite said:
I said exterior of the barn. The Kent household. They haven't filmed a scene there since, maybe the middle of season 7 or something? Not once last year.

The inside of the barn is just a set they use.

interesting. damn hollywood and their sets. i swear the way they do the lighting looks so real :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ashhong said:
interesting. damn hollywood and their sets. i swear the way they do the lighting looks so real :lol

If by Hollywood, you mean Canada. :lol

That's been my biggest complaint the past year and a half. They NEVER shoot in large fields or suburban areas or anything like that.

It's funny if you watch the Metropolis episodes in the early seasons, they just shot them in a real city and gave it a blue tint. Now they use the obvious set.

It's also no longer the huge money maker that it once was.

I can see the budget taking another fall if there's another year. The budget might even be cut mid season. I doubt the show will be canceled midseason, but I can see it ending after this season. If it holds above 2 million it may be safe, but get a budget cut.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's funny you mention that, Thunder Monkey. I dunno why you're acting as if ratings are bad. By the Numbers saying a show faces a possibility of cancellation means nothing. They update that shit weekly.

It went up for the second week in a row. Metallo was 2.09 mil, last week was 2.3 mil, and this week was 2.6 mil. It was the best showing this season so far (better than the premiere) and the highest rated show in that time slot on CW since September 2008. Keep in mind ratings actually went up during the playoffs, which is cool, as Smallville is really the only other show on at the time that males would watch.

The network decided to brag about it:

SMALLVILLE delivered its largest audience (2.62mil) and best adults 18-49 (1.1/4) of the season.

In fact, this was our best performance in the time period in these categories since our last Smackdown on 9/26/08.

Adults 18-34 remains steady at a 1.1/4.

SMALLVILLE ranked second in the hour among men 18-34 (1.3/6) and men 18-49 (1.3/5), beating the big 3.

Versus comedies a year ago, SMALLVILLE is up by 38% in adults 18-34, 117% in men 18-34, 38% in adults 18-49, 117% in men 18-49 and 46% in viewers.

Now I just wish they would give Smallville a proper followup show. Repeats of fucking Top Model doesn't cut it. If CW does this right, they could have an actual safe Friday night lineup.

(And there were no budget cuts this year, by the way. Producers said this a couple months ago.)

This is only four eps in.

Every year at the half way point this show loses viewers.

Most shows do this too.

If it stays above 2 million viewers I can see the show staying, but I still think the budget will be cut further because of the lower viewership. It may stay on the air, if it drops under 2 million by the end of the year I'd question if it even has a shot at coming back.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
This is only four eps in.

Every year at the half way point this show loses viewers.

Most shows do this too.

If it stays above 2 million viewers I can see the show staying, but I still think the budget will be cut further because of the lower viewership. It may stay on the air, if it drops under 2 million by the end of the year I'd question if it even has a shot at coming back.

Ratings are steady/good right now. There's no reason to wonder about a "what if it has a below 2 mil streak" at the moment.

And as was talked about earlier in the thread, DVR numbers came out Monday and Smallville was the #1 biggest gain. Viewership went up 50%.

It isn't just live numbers that matter anymore. When a show maintains steady ratings like it does, plus fantastic DVR numbers that doubles the viewership, it's in no trouble.

Ashhong

omg rite said:
If by Hollywood, you mean Canada. :lol

That's been my biggest complaint the past year and a half. They NEVER shoot in large fields or suburban areas or anything like that.

It's funny if you watch the Metropolis episodes in the early seasons, they just shot them in a real city and gave it a blue tint. Now they use the obvious set.

Yes I mean Canada :lol

At 9 seasons, you would think the Smallville fanbase is pretty loyal and set. How much more can they really lose in terms of fans and money? I don't see how much more can change from a smaller budget. If the viewer didnt leave after seeing the airplane CGI from last week, they will never leave due to budget cuts :lol

Solo

omg rite said:
That's such a silly complaint. The Lana thing was obviously too drawn out, but this is literally 4 episodes into the second year of Clark and Lois being romantic. What exactly should they do? Get married and have her find out about his powers next week? Come on.

Er, what? Newsflash: this isnt the first season in which they've made Lois the new Lana. The will they/wont they Clark/Lois version has been going on for over a year now.

Also, theres nothing silly about it when one terribly written "relationship" (and by relationship, I mean characters making moony eyes at eachother and never saying the obvious things, instead keeping their feelings bottled up/being angsty in order to draw tghings out for the maximum amount of time) or another has been a part of this show since day one. Its something you just accept will never change, but that doesnt mean I cant continue to complain about it. Its even worse when the actors have not even a shred of believable chemistry. At least Welling and Durance have a bit of it, but watching Welling and Kreuk was painful.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
Er, what? Newsflash: this isnt the first season in which they've made Lois the new Lana. The will they/wont they Clark/Lois version has been going on for over a year now.

You mean like... what I just said and you quoted?

Solo

I guess so. I love how you jump on the part where I misread your quote and ignored everything else I said :lol

I'm with you on the Welling and Kreuk thing Solo.

It was like watching siblings kiss. A certain level of excitement... and then a whole lot of shame.

Awkward.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
I guess so. I love how you jump on the part where I misread your quote and ignored everything else I said :lol

Because I disagree and I think Welling and Kreuk had good chemistry. The problem was that it was dragged on far too long. And I see no issues with how they're doing Clark and Lois yet.

Not much else to say.

Ashhong

Welling and Kreuk had amazing chemistry at the start. you could really see that they cared for each other. i think the events of Lana post-Lex relationships are clouding your memory Solo.

the 100th episode is an example of some good chemistry imo. God i love Smallville funerals. time to youtube.

omgrite: i remember we had this convo. is the music in this clip the original or the updated version? i remember they changed it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juh3tpFzSHA

whoa this comment from that clip is good

If you remember from season 1 on Smallville, Lex Luthor once told Clark that when his father dies, Kings will come to his funeral, but when his does, his friends will come...

If you think about it, that's exactly what happened here...Lex Luthor and Clark Kent both representing "future kings" who attended lionel luthor's funeral, and at jonathon kent's funeral, all of his friends were there...

What do you think of that ???

so true..i dont remember that quote at all

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yep, that was the original music used. As shakey as the first half (and finale) of that season was, that was one of my favorite episodes and scenes of the series.

Brilliantly shot and the music gave me chills.

Ashhong said:
so true..i dont remember that quote at all
Lex did say it.

Funny. A little bit of insight for the show. A touch they must have had planned for a while, or came across by happenstance most like.

Still that's cool.

Ashhong

i rewatchd the funeral scenes in Smallville, and all of them end with a shot of Clark and an angel statue thing except Lionel's. Whitney, his Dad, and Jimmy. dont know if that means anything..i just like watching these scenes.

Solo

Ashhong said:
Welling and Kreuk had amazing chemistry at the start. you could really see that they cared for each other. i think the events of Lana post-Lex relationships are clouding your memory Solo.

No clouding of the memory. They never had a shred of chemistry, and it brought out the worst in both actors. Welling is not a great actor, and neither is Kreuk. However, when Welling shares scenes with actors he has good chemistry with, you get better performances out of him. His work with John Glover, Michael Rosenbaum and Allison Mack was always ten times better than when he shared a scene with Kreuk. Same deal with Kreuk. Worse actor then Welling, but faired better when sharing the screen with people other than Clark.

Lana and Clark onscreen was like watching two retarded puppies stare at eachother.

Ashhong

i blame the script more than the chemistry. you always reference their scenes where they are secretly pining after each other (because lets face it, that was 90% of their scenes), but they had some real scenes too. the few times they were together i felt they had real chemistry, as well some of the earlier seasons.

Solo

The real test of Kreuk's "ability" will be on Chuck this year. She had better not shit up another show, especially my favorite.

Ashhong

Solo said:
The real test of Kreuk's "ability" will be on Chuck this year. She had better not shit up another show, especially my favorite.

shes on Chuck? fuck yessssss. i can see her doing really well in a Chuck-type comedy atmosphere.

Solo

Ashhong said:
shes on Chuck? fuck yessssss. i can see her doing really well in a Chuck-type comedy atmosphere.

Shes doing a multi episode arc like Jordana Brewster did last year.

Ashhong

Solo said:
Shes doing a multi episode arc like Jordana Brewster did last year.

oh..does that mean shes probably going to use her fighting skills? id rather see her in a Bilson type plot personally. no more fighting Kristen!

besada

Banned
Funny to see Roulette pop in in the Smallville universe. Props for mining the DC non-powered villains at least.

Did Chloe say Kandorian? As in
Bottle City of Kandor?
Please tell me that's where they're going! :O

EDIT: Preview spoilers...
Clark/Lois kiss, yeah yeah... FLIGHT TEASE?!? COME THE F*CK ON!!!

Spike Spiegel said:
Bottle City of Kandor?

Thanks for that because I could not place why that sounded so familiar. Makes me wonder if Major Zod's army is comprised of people from around the Kryptonian planet.

besada

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
Bottle City of Kandor?

They mentioned they were from Kandor last episode (or episode before last). So far no bottles in evidence.

NimbusD

I think this episode it's become apparent that they're pretty much done developing Clark as a character. He's pretty much Superman without the classic costume and they don't know what to do with him anymore. God damn the dude who plays Green Arrow is a horrible actor though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
NimbusD said:
I think this episode it's become apparent that they're pretty much done developing Clark as a character. He's pretty much Superman without the classic costume and they don't know what to do with him anymore. God damn the dude who plays Green Arrow is a horrible actor though.
Clark is still somewhat indecisive and I really can't stand his reliance on Chloe. I understand she needs a purpose on this show but Superman is a sharp mother fucker. I really wish he'd starting putting this stuff together on his own instead of running to Chloe with all his clues. For the most part, I agree with you though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
Bottle City of Kandor?

EDIT: Preview spoilers...
Clark/Lois kiss, yeah yeah... FLIGHT TEASE?!? COME THE F*CK ON!!!

The title of episode 7 is
"Kandor"

NimbusD

Hawk xSx said:
Oliver burned the last costume.

Thought I read he was going to come back with a new GA costume...guess not.

Woulda been cool, but they barely have budget for sets, so I think they're just going to have to stay with the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom