• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Pandaman said:
srk's biggest problems are registration dates and group blowjobs.

also people actually typing out the words 'real talk' and other verbal ticks that are excusable in person but absurd in text.

They got rid of the first. The second is well, the nature of the types of people who play fighting games seriously.

GAF crowd and SRK crowd too different things. I prefer the crowd here to be honest.

I'd take the SRK crowd over some other sites though.

Co-sign on the people putting SRK in their name usually being morons. The good players on that site doesn't need a name for people to know they're good. It's usually the players who are bad that put it in, because otherwise people who disregard them as horrible scrubs.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
arstal said:
They got rid of the first. The second is well, the nature of the types of people who play fighting games seriously.

GAF crowd and SRK crowd too different things. I prefer the crowd here to be honest.

I'd take the SRK crowd over some other sites though.

Co-sign on the people putting SRK in their name usually being morons. The good players on that site doesn't need a name for people to know they're good. It's usually the players who are bad that put it in, because otherwise people who disregard them as horrible scrubs.
iirc there was some work around that let people see reg dates, because its that important. :lol

but yeah, they're far away from the worst. Really the secret seems to be avoiding the general street fighter board like the plague. if you can do that, srk can be great. the character subforums are usually always welcoming too.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
GalacticAE said:
Wrong. SRK is awesome.

Someone said it best to me. A lot of people over there are elitist assholes who aren't even good at the game they are repping and tend to ride the top players' success. They have their own cliche on who they like, etc.

A lot of SRK tags online I've ran into whether I win or lose, insults are thrown. Unfortunately for them, I have a big mouth and know how to make people feel really stupid and bad. A couple sentences and I find myself with apologies from a handful of them.

I love the site, how informative it can be, and the people who are keeping it real but you have the other people continuing to be who they are and at the same time intimidating new people as well as giving the FGC the reputation it currently has. Nobody can comprehend how hard I am trying to get new people into the scene (my very own offline friends for one) but once they take a look at some of the topics there or on other fighting game forums/threads, they say it's just not for them. For all the good things SRK has, I can personally find somewhere else which is why I have no need to be there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The best part with SRK is that they're (99%) all talk no action.

Beating SRK-scrubs on PSN? Best thing ever.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
CO_Andy said:
Why the hate on Shoryuken? The foundation of the fighting game is based on being a trash talker and delinquent.
right and for a building to be completed, that foundation needs to be buried. in concrete. never again to see the light of day.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
CO_Andy said:
Why the hate on Shoryuken? The foundation of the fighting game is based on being a trash talker and delinquent.

It's a stupid foundation that has done the FGC more harm then good.

As for the community forums in general- I'd say the best run one is probably 8WR to me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
CO_Andy said:

There is a difference between trash talking and threatening or insulting someone on a more personal level. Whether it's part of the entertainment or not doesn't matter, some people just don't like that. The community will never evolve if it continues the path of the latter.

CO_Andy

The whole internet and online gaming shebang is unfortunately locked in a juvenile state. It's very RARE to see any fan forum as big as Shoryuken to be moderated on the level of NeoGAF.

That's the cold reality, and without Shoryuken there would be no Street Fighter IV.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
CO_Andy said:
The whole internet and online gaming shebang is unfortunately locked in a juvenile state. It's very RARE to see any fan forum as big as Shoryuken to be moderated on the level of NeoGAF.

That's the cold reality, and without Shoryuken there would be no Street Fighter IV.

SRK was juvenile even before that, as was agsf2, which is what SRK sprung from.

Trash-talk is so low tier, anyway. You've arrived when all you have to do is pick a certain character and smile smugly to get people to hiss at you.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
MarkMan said:
Also +1 for SRK's tech talk forum.

Such an awesome place.

Yeah, not all of SRK is bad- just the general and regional discussion threads mostly.

There is that negative culture that is held over from the old days though- I think the SRK head honchos realize this is holding them back- so they're making efforts to change things.
Most of those changes are good- but their new forum has to be running on a horrible buggy toaster.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
arstal said:
SRK was juvenile even before that, as was agsf2, which is what SRK sprung from.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia goggles, but I don't remember a.g.v.sf2 being that bad.

I think I've been on SRK since 2001, but rarely ever post. Just use it to look up useful information on various strategies and match-ups. The last time I tried to post in a thread there (an off-topic one, at that) the first response was something like "OH GREAT A NEO GAFFER." :lol

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Anti-SRK rhetoric does more damage to SRK and the fighting game community than SRK's delinquents ever do on their own. Like it or not, SRK is the heart of the fighting game community and everyone else is trying to justify how they're just as cool - usually by talking shit about SRK.

It took me a LONG time to figure out how to deal with NeoGAF's quirks. This place is far from friendly to newcomers.

As far as personal attacks on SRK go, that's explicitly against the rules. So if a personal insult is what got you to leave SRK, then chances are whoever talked shit to you got smacked down shortly thereafter.

And seriously, if you're new to SRK, do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from General Discussion. That's where we keep all the crazies. I don't even go in there.

But if you're in love with GAF, what can i say? SRK has a different culture. If you're totally happy here at GAF, then you're not gonna like SRK as much. Common sense. It's not like SRK is gonna turn into GAF anytime soon, or vice versa.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Majestros said:
Anti-SRK rhetoric does more damage to SRK and the fighting game community than SRK's delinquents ever do on their own. Like it or not, SRK is the heart of the fighting game community and everyone else is trying to justify how they're just as cool - usually by talking shit about SRK.

It took me a LONG time to figure out how to deal with NeoGAF's quirks. This place is far from friendly to newcomers.

As far as personal attacks on SRK go, that's explicitly against the rules. So if a personal insult is what got you to leave SRK, then chances are whoever talked shit to you got smacked down shortly thereafter.

And seriously, if you're new to SRK, do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from General Discussion. That's where we keep all the crazies. I don't even go in there.

But if you're in love with GAF, what can i say? SRK has a different culture. If you're totally happy here at GAF, then you're not gonna like SRK as much. Common sense. It's not like SRK is gonna turn into GAF anytime soon, or vice versa.

If you are responding to me, again, I have been a member there for a long time. I just lurk there. All that response did was keep me lurking. SRK does (or perhaps did? I don't pay attention to the general forum stuff and they have tried to improve things) have a much bigger "problem" with newcomers than GAF ever did. That is a fact. It doesn't bother me one bit. Like I said, I use SRK for information. I don't go there for off-topic stuff.

I am on multiple forums. I don't even post here anywhere near as much as I post elsewhere now.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Majestros said:

The anti-SRK rhetoric is entirely deserved though. This place is just as hostile, but you're going to get randomly banned, not piled on, given -2.3mil points of neg rep, and memed.

The culture is the problem- it's not going to go away though. I've been looking for an escape of that culture for years.

As for agsf2- it wasn't that bad, but things get worse over time. People saw the attitudes of some name players and copycatted it.

rocK`

Banned
arstal said:
The anti-SRK rhetoric is entirely deserved though. This place is just as hostile, but you're going to get randomly banned, not piled on, given -2.3mil points of neg rep, and memed.

The culture is the problem- it's not going to go away though. I've been looking for an escape of that culture for years.

As for agsf2- it wasn't that bad, but things get worse over time. People saw the attitudes of some name players and copycatted it.

after being in the DOTA/HoN community for about 3+ years, you get used to having a thick skin.

that being said, a community shouldn't detract you from wanting to learn a game / get good at the game. you should be able to filter through the bs (i.e. avoid gen disc.) and come out of SRK with a solid knowledge of a fighting game. if you didn't, then SRK would be called 9-chan.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
arstal loves GAF just because we've put up with his bullshit more. Sooner or later we'll get fed up, ban him, and then he'll run to SRK to whine about us.

The irony!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I expect to get banned sooner or later- honestly surprised I haven't been yet.

That said, part of a game is the community. A positive community makes you want to be part of it. A negative community- makes you not want to give a shit about it.

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble doing the shortcut motion for SRK with C.Viper. It seems like it's not doing it half the time.

Is this a normal problem? Should I try to do it the proper way, then?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Littleberu said:
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble doing the shortcut motion for SRK with C.Viper. It seems like it's not doing it half the time.

Is this a normal problem? Should I try to do it the proper way, then?

I'd recommend doing it the proper way whenever possible. Might not help you in SFIV, but will help you in other fighting games- and only learning the shortcut can limit you. Learning proper fighting game fundamentals will help you from game to game.

Once you get that down, learn the shortcut- especially if you need it to avoid move overlap.

the community needs to mature up and cease with the blaring trash talk, loud yelling and acting like white-rappers

who the fuck at 35 wants to get involved in a juvenile atmosphere of name calling?

every time I see a tourney video that gets over-shadowed by loud trash talk and yelling (I fuckin' hate people who yell)

unless playing w friends, there is a reason why I don't play with a headset on PSN/Live...
I don't want to hear stupid youngsters who don't know how to speak spew out random heckles

have dignity... fight like gentlemen!

Threi

notag
if you guys think i bitch about bison you should check the SRK bison sub-forum.

Not saying that there aren't cool people there but most threads are "why isn't bison as good as xxx?"

im pretty sure all the other character subforums are the same.

aside from that though 99% of my time at SRK is in tech talk, just reading and occasionally posting about my CPSF stick.

Avoid general discussions at all costs.

That being said GAF isn't much better, console war threads and other stupid bullshit is here as well. You just have to not give into curiosity and just visit threads for specific information.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
TeamSp00ky Day 2 SSF4 Stream: f/ Sabin, Sanford, NerdJosh, Min, Henaki, AkumaHokoru, Chris Hu, blazeu25
We moved to Ustream because justin.tv has a viewership cap overseas. I apologize for people not being able to view the stream in here yesterday. Sorry if the quality is not as good as justin but were trying to blow up the viewer count. let your boys know!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/teamspooky

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
arstal said:
The anti-SRK rhetoric is entirely deserved though.
I disagree.

But i'm content to leave it at that. Every internet forum thinks it's better than every other internet forum.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Majestros said:
I disagree.

But i'm content to leave it at that. Every internet forum thinks it's better than every other internet forum.

I am being a little unfair- I'll say this- I am noticing a strong effort from the SRK staff to change its image lately- which is long overdue. The issue isn't the admins of Evo at all, who are mostly pretty cool people to me. I just don't know if they can change the culture, especially with part of the money to run the site coming from premiums.

I hope SRK succeeds in this- it would do wonders for the FGC.

I think if GAF ever went to that business model, the same problems would pop up here.
You need strong. fair moderation to keep a gaming community in check. Could you imagine the neg rep that would occur on this site as an example? I'd probably cause a red bar shortage in Africa. ^_^

It's not a case of me thinking one forum is better then the other.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
also seriously if someone is being attacked on SRK or insulted (against the rules).

let me know.

I'm an SRK boss.

Stupid question for SF4 gaf:

A while ago on one of Haunts' streams, I saw Magus play Gief and cancel his focus with his taunt. Basically, he had Gief flex his muscles while absorbing a fireball. Does anyone know how this works? I'd like to use it. :D

Nose Master

DryEyeRelief said:

A while ago on one of Haunts' streams, I saw Magus play Gief and cancel his focus with his taunt. Basically, he had Gief flex his muscles while absorbing a fireball. Does anyone know how this works? I'd like to use it. :D

You just roll from focus to taunt as the fireball hits you. I do it as dan a lot online :lol Timing is pretty fast, similar to ken's kara throw.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DryEyeRelief said:

you have to wait until the last second to focus for it to work, so when the fireball is right next to your chaacter, hit focus and immediately taunt.

i do it as often as possible with sakuras taunt 6 and 8. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Pandaman said:
you have to wait until the last second to focus for it to work, so when the fireball is right next to your chaacter, hit focus and immediately taunt.

Is there an actual legit use for this- like focus/taunt/special without the dash?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
arstal said:
Is there an actual legit use for this- like focus/taunt/special without the dash?
i guess if you dont want to give up your positioning it'd be useful, but i dont think taunts are appreciably faster to cancel than a dash.

the same concept does work with gen's stance change though and that ones a dozy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uvJ2nBZwxc

_dementia said:
every character should have a 'are you frightened?' level taunt. ;_;

gutabo

SSF4 is almost here... but anyone would mind helping me out with the honda-rufus matchup? (honda player here) Sadly for me I haven't been able to find as much rufuses(Rufi?) as ryus, giefs or sagats online :(

Thanks in advance!

Imm0rt4l

Pandaman said:

I've used this a couple of times as gouken when in a fireball war with sagat, I kara taunt with 6 "is that all you've got?!". Usually they'll ex tiger shot and then I ex demonflip on reaction for the throw.

XenoRaven

Holy crap guys. Cr. hp xx mk SBK works on the iPhone! I tried to do Hazanshu, cr. lk xx EX Legs a few times but kept messing it up so I don't know if it works. I should try EX Legs, Ultra next!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
gutabo said:
SSF4 is almost here... but anyone would mind helping me out with the honda-rufus matchup? (honda player here) Sadly for me I haven't been able to find as much rufuses(Rufi?) as ryus, giefs or sagats online :(

Thanks in advance!

keep Rufus out at all costs.

Headbutts- if he has EX- you can jab headbutt
If he doesn't, you can use strong

Fierce chop is a good AA vs rufus.

Jump fwd can beat EX messiah

Top Bottom