• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Lucentto

Banned
I'm having major trouble teching throws, even when I see them coming, I still can't tech. Any tips? its damned annoying not being able to tech.

Are you having trouble with blocking in general, or are you getting caught in a mix-up after a blockstring? If it's the latter, you should be option-selecting by pressing lp+lk while blocking.

If it's the first, you just have to work on your reactions.

the_log_ride said:
Hey, all... Could I please get some recommendations on a monitor setup to play on? I've been playing on a Sony HDTV, and the lag isn't bad, but it's there of course. I'm staying with family so I can be closer to work for a couple of days, and after playing on a CRT, I just have to have 0 lag setup now.

dunno what model your tv is, but i'm playing on a 2 year old sony bravia LCD and don't notice any lag. try disabling any unnecessary filters if you haven't, or switch to gaming mode if possible.

Lucentto

Banned
dragonballjoseph said:
Are you having trouble with blocking in general, or are you getting caught in a mix-up after a blockstring? If it's the latter, you should be option-selecting by pressing lp+lk while blocking.

If it's the first, you just have to work on your reactions.
Yeah, its the latter. So I have to press lp+lk while in block stun?

Yeah. This way, if they go for a grab, you'll tech it; and if they stop the blockstring, a short will come out.
However, this tactic can also be dangerous, because if your opponent does a special move like a DP instead of going for a block string, you will get hit by it as you whiff a grab. You will also whiff a grab if your opponent jumps or backdashes. So using this also requires to be able to read your opponent. But a majority of the time, you're better of doing this.

stats
IMG_1960.jpg

character usage:
IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

win rates vs:
IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
the_log_ride said:
Nice! Thanks Aedile! Anyone else play on the ASUS?

I have a similar model (larger screen size) and it is perfect for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC gaming. Would not recommend it for anything using component video (this model accepts it) or playing PS2 games on the PS3 though.

KuroNeeko

Anyone find a good 360 -> PS3 converter with minimal input lag?

I can't afford another stick right now so I'm trying to look into other options...

I guess I'll throw in my stats (360 for now), since all the cool kids are doing it.

My Guile and Dictator usage stats are out of whack, as I went on a drunken rampage with them in Championship Mode on two different nights. I wanna say about 50 hours or so of my playtime was idling. Also, Capcom, fix yo' random select. I keep getting the same eight characters. :p And I can't purchase your DLC costumes anymore, since random select won't let me switch costumes.

Overall:
Playtime - 403:30
Title Collection - 78.65%
Icon Collection - 63.70%
# of Fights - 1575
Wins - 1079
Win Rate - 69.39%
Win Streak - 45

Character Usage:
01) Guile - 106 - 6.53%
02) Dictator - " - "
03) Ryu - 82 - 5.05%
04) Gen - 80 - 4.92%
05) Abel - 75 - 4.62%
06) El Fuerte - 73 - 4.49%
07) Zangief - 71 - 4.37%
08) Sakura - " - "
09) Chun Li - 70 - 4.31%
10) Claw - 68 - 4.18%
11) Dan - 64 - 3.94%
12) E.Honda - 63 - 3.88%
13) Gouken - " - "
14) Fei Long - " - "
15) Boxer - 62 - 3.82%
16) Sagat - " - "
17) Rose - " - "
18) Blanka - 61 - 3.75%
19) Dhalsim - 60 - 3.69%
20) Rufus -
21) Cammy - 57 - 3.51%
22) C.Viper - 56 - 3.45%
23) Akuma - 49 - 3.01%
24) Ken - 39 - 2.40%

Win rates:
01) El Fuerte - 35/38 - 92.10%
02) Akuma - 113/123 - 91.86%
03) Dan - 31/35 - 88.57%
04) Fei Long - 43/49 - 87.75%
05) Sakura - 40/46 - 86.95%
06) Ken - 139/170 - 81.76%
07) C.Viper - 31/38 - 81.57%
08) Rufus - 31/40 - 77.50%
09) Gen - 19/25 - 76.00%
10) Gouken - 42/57 - 73.68%
11) Cammy - 48/66 - 72.72%
12) Rose - 21/29 - 72.41%
13) Claw - 27/38 - 71.05%
14) Guile - 50/71 - 70.42%
15) Ryu - 160/231 - 69.26%
16) E.Honda - 18/27 - 66.66%
17) Abel - 42/64 - 65.62%
18) Chun-Li - 25/40 - 62.50%
19) Sagat - 84/138 - 60.86%
20) Boxer - 33/56 - 58.92%
21) Dictator - 35/60 - 58.33%
22) Dhalsim - 31/56 - 55.35% (MicVlaD!!1!1!)
23) Blanka - 44/82 - 53.65%
24) Zangief - 46/97 - 47.42%

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
KuroNeeko said:
Anyone find a good 360 -> PS3 converter with minimal input lag?

I can't afford another stick right now so I'm trying to look into other options...
There are unfortunately no good 360 to PS3 converters available right now... they all lag and/or drop inputs.

The most affordable way to get a 360 stick to work on PS3 is to buy a ChImp board and dual mod it, though it requires some soldering. If that doesn't sound feasible for you, there are plenty of stick builders and modders around that could hook you up with a dual mod. Where do you live?

Epic games AZ!!!!!!

That last set was intense as fuck! I guess it was a ft10? Towards the end when it was tied 9-9, I just got this feeling that I had to win this last set although we didn't agree to any set limit prior to our matches. Sorry for running out on you after that last set, but I'll take those wins mang! :D I look forward to playing you again.

Sorry TakerRx, but AZ and I were in some serious shit when you sent the invite. We'll get some matches in soon.

Edit: Maybe I'll record some matches that we have in the future.

GG's tonight Grifter, sorry to bounce so quickly and only give you a handful of games, but its hella late here :lol I'm so tired.

We gotta get some more matches another night.

eva01

GGs AZ Greg.

That dhalsim back standing roundhouse is too good for anti air lol. No way around it for me unless you screw up the timing on it. It was also hard to do mixups against your ryu had to stick with what was working cause of the dp. Hope to get some more games in sometime soon

chriskun

Dear lord, just played against this steinmania guy, his cammy is godly. Any advice for the Honda vs Cammy matchup anyone?? it was enjoyable getting my ass beat though.

chriskun said:
Dear lord, just played against this steinmania guy, his cammy is godly. Any advice for the Honda vs Cammy matchup anyone?? it was enjoyable getting my ass beat though.

Hmmm I watched some of his vids, seems like he doesn't anti-air and precommits to random FA spam on the ground. I don't know if he knows the honda matchup so here's some general strats with his tendencies in mind.

Spam lots of st. rh while keeping charge if he's anywhere near you, and if you feel threatened just throw lp headbutts out there, or ex headbutts. Just remember that's not safe in the corner. If you feel like he's going to start dive kick pressuring from mid screen just do lots of neutral jump fierces while holding away.

If you wanna play offense, just walk forward while stein FA-dashes away into the corner, but make sure to keep your neutral jump fierces going. If you get a solid read on a FA, then ex headbutt. If he gets a knockdown on you, just do a lp headbutt, it beats out all of cammy's options except for her srk and high dive kick.

Now if he knows how to dive kick honda when he's knocked down, then just block the first dive kick, then do a jab headbutt, 9/10 times it should work. Obviously, you don't want to get too predictable, so don't be too predictable about it.

Anyhows, it's a touch match for honda if you're not familiar with cammy. I feel she wins the matchup, at best it's even for honda.

edit - when he's near you, if all else fails spam st. mp

also - going off of his matches vs. shizza, seems like he just stops pressuring for some reason and dashes away, kinda puzzling when chun is pretty easy to pressure for cammy, so if you see him do that make sure to take advantage of it and keep your cool. Typically when he'd do a cr. fp after a divekick he'd just cool off since he'd commit to the cr. mk followup then dash away. Don't mash any buttons when he's going through that or else you'll get caught, just keep cool and block.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Beating me does not that Cammy beats Honda lol.

even lp headbutt is unsafe if Cammy has ultra. Forget if EX is or isn't.

My strategy as Honda is to keep distance, and try to standing fierce cammy's attempts to get in.

If you're knocked down, you have to use real SF skill to get out, Honda doesn't get to abuse SF4 wakeup options at all, unless the rest of the cast.

I try to jump as little as possible, since most Cammy's are DP spammers. My first idea is to try and abuse the DP.

As for hooligan, EX hooligan beats headbutt, but not EX headbutt. Jab headbutt beats hooligan. I get hit by hooligan since I fall asleep in matches, this is SFIV after all.

arstal said:
Beating me does not that Cammy beats Honda lol.

even lp headbutt is unsafe if Cammy has ultra. Forget if EX is or isn't.

My strategy as Honda is to keep distance, and try to standing fierce cammy's attempts to get in.

If you're knocked down, you have to use real SF skill to get out, Honda doesn't get to abuse SF4 wakeup options at all, unless the rest of the cast.

I try to jump as little as possible, since most Cammy's are DP spammers. My first idea is to try and abuse the DP.

As for hooligan, EX hooligan beats headbutt, but not EX headbutt. Jab headbutt beats hooligan. I get hit by hooligan since I fall asleep in matches, this is SFIV after all.

Haha well you're not the only Honda I play :p

But yeah, I cosign on the keep distance. Neutral jump away push fierce is good. So is stand fierce.

Buuuttt I think it's ok to jump in against Stein though, that guy wasn't really anti-airing, and chun has a really slow jump lol.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
FindMyFarms said:
Haha well you're not the only Honda I play :p

But yeah, I cosign on the keep distance. Neutral jump away push fierce is good. So is stand fierce.

Buuuttt I think it's ok to jump in against Stein though, that guy wasn't really anti-airing, and chun has a really slow jump lol.

Honda vs chun- Chun can just anti-air with stand forward. Unlike most matchups for chun- she can AA pretty brainlessly. Honda only wins by lucky knockdown into guess and win. He's like a shitty high damage Fuerte in that matchup. Or super through a fireball.

If chun rushes forward, or better yet jumps forward- that's just helping Honda out. A runaway Chun is near impossible for Honda if they know to stand forward.

It's Honda's 2nd worst matchup to me. I have more success vs Sagats. It may be worse in Super

V_Arnold

Rocky_Balboa said:
Decided to make some videos before Super comes out. A few G1 matches and some player matches against gaffer Oldern. GGs Oldern.

Rog vs Rose

Rog vs Scrubby Ken

Rog vs Dictator

Rokitty vs Oldern set

Damn, I play like a scrub! :D
No, really, I have some mental weakness against Balrog, and I am not sure it will go away at Super :( Unless I decide to main Dudley, of course!

Thank you for sharing this, now I can check what I messed up (apart from the very bad habits of hp.tk-ing for nothing..very unsafe.) Good games!

Grifter

Killa Sasa said:
GG's tonight Grifter, sorry to bounce so quickly and only give you a handful of games, but its hella late here :lol I'm so tired.

We gotta get some more matches another night.
It's cool, I was trying to sneak in some game between waking and getting to work. Thought I'd snap and zone in but was failing to keep up with your beastliness.

LakeEarth

Checking my stats, I've played about 1500 matches as Abel and 1300 as Honda. All others are below 400, with Vega and Sagat being my least used characters. I have a winning record against all characters, with (no shock) Dan at the top (>90%) and Zangief at the bottom (53% or so). And (no shock again), the most played against characters were Ryu, Ken and Sagat.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
my stats:

BP 2021 [havent played in awhile]
GP 7,477
matches played: 3,578
win streak: 17

top 5 characters used:
1. sakura 2,313 55.32%
2. Seth 190 4.54%
3. Balrog 145 3.46%
4. Gen 132 3.15%
5. Cammy 118 2.82%

bottom 5 used:
21. Blanka 39 0.93%
22. Rufus 36 0.86%
23. Fhalsim 27 0.64%
24. Vega 27 0.64%
25. El Fuerte 25 0.59%

top 5 character win rates:
1. El Fuerte 68.13%
2. Sakura 63.37%
3. Rose 53.70%
4. Gen 50%
5. Dan 50%

Bottom 5 character win rates:
21. Sagat 34.93%
22. Zangief 33.53%
23. Honda 33%
24. Ryu 27.53%
25. Seth 23.20%

most matches played against:
1. Ryu 839 matches.
2. ken 373 matches.
3. akuma 255 matches.

win percentage:
41.46%

---
it took me a long time to get a comfortable grasp on this game and my win rate has suffered for it, but im very comfortable where i am now, easily winning most g2 matches. I think my win percentage in ssf4 will be closer to 60-70%. my terribad ryu record has to do with my sparing partner being a sole ryu player and much much better than me. :lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
2r4sgnt.png

I want to break 4k BP before Super, but I'm too scared to play ranked because of my recent shitty play :(

Don't really know how my playtime is so high. I guess much of it comes from sitting around in championship lobbies.

oh5x07.png

Go Cammy!

r9n679.png

Nothing really shocking here.

Interesting note: Chun Li was my second most fought character with 1,049 fights. Unsurprisingly, Ryu was #1 with...1,978 : /

Well since everybody else is doing it, below are my stats with my main PC account. I also have a secondary PC account(around 1500 matches I think) and a PS3 account where I played around 5,000 matches before my PS3 died. So I guess I might be over 10k when it comes to online matches.

EasyCapture1-1.jpg

Check that out Kak, I got over 4k once, YEEEEAAAHHHH BOOOIIII

EasyCapture2-1.jpg

I'm also pretty good with more then just one character.

EasyCapture3.jpg

A personal thank you to Kak and Hitokage for boosting my Cammy/Chun record
9.gif

EasyCapture4-1.jpg

I swear it seems like I almost never play a shitty Sakura. They all sit there waiting to crouching fierce jump-ins and know the EX Tatsu reset game. I can also thank "IntheSak" for my first 20(I managed 2 wins against him I think) or so losses to Sakura. That guy owned me so hard, but I don't think he plays anymore.

MIMIC

Banned
My stats!

Player Record

15yyws6.jpg

My play time thingy messed up a while ago. But wow....10k fights already.

Championship Record

11iloau.jpg

I don't play much Championship

Frequency of Use (Top 8)

14nh0ye.jpg

SUPER DYNAMIC COOKING TIME!

Character Win Rates (Yay! -- Top 8)

2hrpo9c.jpg

My brother ONLY plays as Fei Long and that's why my win rate against this character is so high.

Character Win Rates (Boo! -- Bottom 8)

do4d8o.jpg

As a Fuerte player, I hate facing Balrog more than anything. If I want to win, I have to turtle a lot and I don't have a lot of patience.

KuroNeeko

Diary of a noob:

Took a minute to write down my stats. I had next to no experience with fighters and have been playing for about 4 months.

(borrows format from Pandaman)

my stats:

BP 837
Rank G3-C
matches played: 819
win streak: 7

top 4 characters used:
1. Chun Li 48.6%
2. Claw 19.3%
3. Rose 6.4%
4. Fuerte 6%

bottom 8 used:
17-24. Sagat, Vega, Rufus, Fei, Honda, Zangief, Guile 0.1%
25. Seth 0%

top 5 character win rates:
1. Rufus 73.52%
2. Fuerte 68.7%
3. Dan 61.9%
4. C. Viper 60.4%
5. Gen 60%

Bottom 5 character win rates:
21. Dictator 31%
22. Ryu 29.7%
23. Ken 29.5%
24. Sagat 27.5%
25. Claw 20%

most matches played against:
1. Ryu 185 matches.
2. Ken 132 matches.
3. Chun 54 matches.

(really was Seth but I think that's because of SP)

win percentage:
25.15%

When I originally started out my win% was around 10%. I ended up getting so frustrated trying the to beat the game with Dan on easiest that I took the game back within the first month. I kept thinking about the game though and picked up another copy at the end of December and have let go of my ego and needing to win all the time. Since then my game has picked up a bit though I still have a long way to go.

gutabo

Holy shit, monster comeback from that honda against itabashi zangief and other gief(ICO?)...

Also Mago getting burned by Dashio's Viper, very nice! ...only to be destroyed by akimo. Poor dashio. And now akimo got destroyed by aqua(sagat). :(

Mizoteru! Bleh... he picked sagat against aqua(mirror match)... only to lose in the tiger war :S ojisan boy vs TKD!!! Dang, TDK lost. Nice fuerte.

Nemo beat ojisan boy!!! Nemo beat air(ryu), now goes for kim(dictator)... lol runaway nemo wins!

EDIT: dashio is back!

EDIT 2: Ok I'm gonna stop this becaus eI wanna see the stream :p

chriskun

FindMyFarms said:
Hmmm I watched some of his vids, seems like he doesn't anti-air and precommits to random FA spam on the ground. I don't know if he knows the honda matchup so here's some general strats with his tendencies in mind.

Spam lots of st. rh while keeping charge if he's anywhere near you, and if you feel threatened just throw lp headbutts out there, ...

Thanks for the advice farms, he was definitely anti-airing my ass, was dping my nuetral jumping fierce as well, I quickly stopped spamming that shit. I watched some of his videos and he definitely has leveled up. Maybe because he felt confident against me. He was definitely doing that weird backing off shit though.

サガットゴウキ・・・ノーフューチャー・・・

Seeing Ameriken fight these Akuma players is pretty exciting, knowing about that MagoPizza post Fubarduck translated.

So probably the biggest benefit of owning a fight stick and knowing how to p-link(although I'm not good at it) for me so far is finally finishing Ryu's hard trials without cheating :lol

From the time I bought SF4 till the time my PS3 died on me, I never finished Ryu's hard trials because the 1 frame link(F+HP to cr. HP) was just way too difficult for me. I must have spent hours on that one trial alone. Whenever I did land it, I wouldn't get a SRK out. If I got the SRK out, the super didn't come out.

When I got SF4 PC and a 360 Mad Catz pad I just said "Fuck this" and turned turbo on to complete the trial. I'm happy to say now that after all the practice with the stick I was able to complete all of Ryu's hard trials in like 5 minutes. Hard Trial 2 probably took me the longest at 2 minutes or so but it felt pretty good to finish it so quickly.

It's pretty cool, I'm able to do combos that I never could before with Ryu. I still have a long ways to go but I'm pretty happy about my decision to buy a stick now. I'm kind of excited to see how I'll progress in the coming months.

Top Bottom