• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Parallax Scroll said:
Fun games Rice-Eater. I did a bit better this time, but I noticed the following things:

- I ate a lot of jumpins when I threw fireballs. I must either be too predictable or I'm using them at the wrong range.
- Obviously you've got damage dealing combos down better than I do. I'm still just doing individual hits mostly.
- I think I got too predictable with wakeup/landing shoryuken. The instinct to do them is hard to resist.
- What did you keep comboing into ex tatsu? c.HP?
- Your ultra/super combos and FADC combos looked better than last time.
- I landed an ultra :D

-I ate a lot of jump ins to. Lets face it we both suck at zoning and dragon punching jump ins. Maybe there is still hope for you but I've had over 4,000 matches and I still suck at that

-the only fancy thing I'm doing is FADC Ultra combos with Ryu. Besides that I'm doing the basic c. LP, c. LP, SRK or c. MK, Hado like every basic Ryu player.

-I got hit by those wake up SRK several times because I sat there thinking "there is no way he's going to do that again" LOL.

-yep, I was doing crouching HP into EX Tatsu. It's his most damaging 1-2 combo. I play on a pad, so it's not easy to do c. HP, SRK and I have no dedicated HP button so I always go to this when possible.

-Thanks for the compliment

-Yes you did, but if you're going to keep at it with Ryu then try to remember the Ultra set ups. I noticed you had me a couple of times but didn't do it. I have to admit you have to build some muscle memory because I didn't just start doing it right away just because I wanted to.

FindMyFarms said:
Is your tourney today Killa?

Just got back from it, it was all weekend. I posted about the team tourney already which was just for fun. Didn't place well, but w/e, the meat was today.

Started with money matches :D Only 2 dollars but still, money is money. Had a hype best-of-7 against the Ryu that knocked my team out yesterday. I won 4-2 and got in some taunts :D Lots of tomfoolery but mostly decent play. There were a couple parts where it just got completely sloppy, missed opportunities for both characters everywhere. I hope they caught the part where he got mad after I won :lol But it's all good, that guy is the man and we're good buds. We go pretty even.

The next money match was another best of 7 set against a Honda that gives my Guile a lot of trouble. Since it was a grudge match type deal, I tried to play a rush down Guile to give the crowd something to watch, but to no avail, it just ended up being sloppy and I pulled out a 4-3 victory. A couple parts where I had really good corner pressure. Not really how I normally play Guile in the Honda matchup though.

The final one was against the Akuma I've been training for who wanted a piece since I had been talking smack pre-money matches :lol I took the first match, he took the second, I took third, and he took the rest for the win. I hooligan'd him a lot, but he took me to the basement to show me his demon about 4 or 5 times :lol It was hilarious, and I had the crowd behind me, but I just couldn't pull it out. A lot of dropped combos by me in this one too, but w/e it was for fun and I was loving it. I wanted to win this one badly though.

In the singles tourney, won my first two with Ms White and then got sent to losers by a Ryu. I had some mistakes, he had some too, but he just outplayed me, I didn't mix it up enough. Definitely a winnable one. Beat a Rog with Guile (who walked into my ultra after dodging the first half :p ), but then lost to a Sagat to finish at T-7th. That last match just was a clusterf*ck on my part, when the video goes up, you guys will SYH at the last little mixup before I lost. A couple whiffed throws and a refusal to commit or take a risk :( I feared the DP too much so I didn't do much if any TK Strike mixup when I scored a knockdown, only baits or reversal dps :(. Gotta be more fearless with Cammy.

Not thrilled with my finish, especially because I've beaten both of the players who beat me before. The things that really screwed me are the general lack of fearlessness when it mattered (but I can live with this...I think?), a couple execution hiccups (mad about this), and the lack of better punishment than a throw. One of the pitfalls of online play is that this is what you are taught to do; it's wrong. Get a BnB/ ultra them on whiffed garbage. It's the reason I lost the Akuma money match for sure. The more I think about it, the more I fell into bad habits and stopped poking with my medium and hard kick to keep the pressure on. Sucks to that.

We then did a 5v5 city regional, my team was in the finals but the Akuma peaced us out after we murdered his cheerleaders (team). Just for fun and it was good.

I'll end the livejournal here. Videos should be up soon. I'm thinking about retiring from this game until Dash; gonna give it up for MW2 anyway, why not get ahead of the train? There's only so much more I can do before I want to learn another character anyway. It's at the mind games level now, and now that I've got real offline play finally, I'd rather do that fa sho. Except for the GAF crew, I'm always down for matches with them. Maybe I'll learn how to punish better... 6 months later and I still might be playing the shit outta this game :lol

And Guile is now officially the alt to Cammy. Until the next revision for sure anyway.

Videos probably sometime this week. You can all watch me get taken to the basement 5-6 times. (Basement demon is something someone I know made up for shitty Akuma RD setups that work, like an unfinished basement :lol I think it's an awesome phrase, been using it since I heard it).

Ack. That's a lot of words.

Haha, sounds like an awesome experience! Too bad about that Sagat, Sagat's a douche. I say you stick with sf4 for a little longer since your my only online Canadian buddy :D

BTW you gonna play MW2 on pc or ps3?

FindMyFarms said:
Haha, sounds like an awesome experience! Too bad about that Sagat, Sagat's a douche. I say you stick with sf4 for a little longer since your my only online Canadian buddy :D

BTW you gonna play MW2 on pc or ps3?

Gonna be PS3, my pc can barely run Team Fortress 2 on low everything. And I want the Hardened edition :D

I'll stick with it a bit longer, probably only ranbats but no more majors I think, especially with university coming up :/ I seriously hope they announce Dash soon though.

Killa Sasa said:
Gonna be PS3, my pc can barely run Team Fortress 2 on low everything. And I want the Hardened edition :D

I'll stick with it a bit longer, probably only ranbats but no more majors I think, especially with university coming up :/ I seriously hope they announce Dash soon though.

But majors are the best part since you get to meet a bunch of people!

Anyways, once you get backk to uni lay some pipe on some hot Canadians in my memory plz.

FindMyFarms said:
But majors are the best part since you get to meet a bunch of people!

Anyways, once you get backk to uni lay some pipe on some hot Canadians in my memory plz.

I'm probably just a little salty right now and talking reckless. Majors are a lot of fun and so is teh munniez. The only bad thing is that the next one in midterm season, but I might luck out with my schedule, who knows. I know that I am now done with championship mode for sure though, I gotta use SRK and this board to get matches against more people like you and PhatSaqs. I probably won't be slightly burnt out by the time the next one rolls around too. Maybe I'll finish up inFamous and then come back. Evo for sure is a go next year though. Guaran-friggin-teed.

And I will fulfill your latter request in full.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
FUL SBO Results

Day 1 Results

Street Fighter IV

1. KOF Force
Gosho (Rufus), Cabbage (C. Viper)

2. Chicken Groove
Iyo (Dhalsim), Shiro (Abel)

3. 2D Shindo
Nemo (Chun-li), Mago (Sagat)

3. Nama Dashi
Dashio (C. Viper), Namameso (E. Honda)

Virtua Fighter 5R
1. Stardust Crusaders
Yutenji (Lau), Joseph (Akira), Gorgeous Eileen (Eileen)

2. Ihisha Anaguma
YOU (Sarah), Chutaro (Jean), Anaguma (Jacky)

3. Apple Basic
Itabashi Zangief (Shun), Itoshun (Brad), Fuudo (Lion)

3. Last Boss
Chameleon (Sarah), Oniku (Jeffry), King Joe (Lau)

Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion
1. Sanko Heights
E Honda (Lili), Jun-chan (Julia), RAUM (Wang)

2. Kansai Wareware Class
Buriburimaru (Bryan), Nisshin (Alisa), Tissuemon (Marduk)

3. Binkan Club
Oujikusu (Bruce), Binkan #1 (Lars), Binkan #2 (Bryan)

3. Kousuke Produce
Kousuke (Heihachi), Mankaiou (King), Chokoyan (Bob)

Day 2 Results

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
1. Charge Man Ken (Ryu/Ken)
2. Kumo Kai Gagami (Yatterman 1/Karas)
3. Hachiman no Koutaishi (PTX)
3. Oguti (Casshan/Ryu)

Fate/Unlimited Code
1. 138 (Lancer)
2. Spike (Gilgamesh)
3. TatsumiP (Rin)
3. Chinmi (Rider)

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
1. Peach Power Boss
Boss (Yun), Momochi (Makoto), Rikimaru (Chun-li)

2. Kenji ni Kakero!
Tokido (Chun-li), KO (Yang), Ochibi (Yun)

3. Gold Rush
RX (Urien), Koshun (Chun-li), Vanaos (Ryu)

3. Inoue Japan
Kuroda (Q), MOV (Chun-li)
(note: Due to circumstances at home, Inoue had to go home and didn’t make it to the final tournament at SBO. Kuroda basically took out every team by himself though.)
:lol
Day 3 Results

Blazblue
1. Fumo (Arakune)
2. Kyaku (Carl)
3. Kakutou Bishin Taokaka (v-13)
3. Chou (v-13)

Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2
1. Uwaaa! Taki Nobori!
Kasumi Love (Akane), Shin Konoha 12P Color (Konoha)

2. Uwaaa! Credo!
Futto Meifang (Meifang), Texture Elsa (Elsa)

3. Beast Kingdom
Kyouken (Zenia), Tanukichi (Saki)

3. Heijitsu kaketemo Tsukimasendeshita
ACT (Maori), Jamu (Lilica)

Guilty Gear XX A Core
1. Heikairo
Shonen (Testament), Yoshige (Millia), N Otoko (Venom)

2. Omairaga Fude Piccolosu
Satou (Johnny)
Chonari (Zappa)
Yumemaboroshi (Bridget)

3. Inoue Army Headquarters
Kazuki (Dizzy)
Inoue (Holy Order Sol)
Akira (Potemkin)

3. Joker
Kishitaka (Sol)
Haken (Potemkin)
Koichi (Ino)

Oh, and here are the results of the Shiozawa Cup that happened the day before Super Battle Opera!

Shiozawa Cup 5 on 5
1. Neko Punch (Received the title of ULTRA)
Nyanshi (Ryu), Messe (Akuma), Iyo (Dhalsim), Bonchan (Sagat), Daigo (Ryu)

2. Sakamoto Shosa ha Ore ga Mamoru (Received the title of SUPER)
Maho Shojo Zangitan (Zangief), FAX Gimoto (Blanka), Darui (Dhalsim), Yuru (Ryu), Sakamoto Shosa (Sagat)

3. VF High Motivation
Fuudo (Ryu), Itabashi Zangief (Zangief), Sutoraikun (Ken), Yoru no Teramachi Zangief (Sagat), Koedo (Sagat)

It’d be too hard for me to write up a proper summary, seeing as I don’t have much time on my hands, but here’s a point by point summary of my thoughts on SBO.

※ Most of the crowd on Day 1 was there for Street Fighter IV. In fact, when the grand finals for SFIV were finished, about 50% of the audience left the venue before VF5R could even start. Basically, whoever stayed for VF also stayed for Tekken. SFIV got the most number of people by far, even compared to the final two days. In fact, there were times during Blazblue and Arcana Heart where the venue was about 50% full.

※ The VF5R finals were anti-climatic because there were a bunch of OCVs being handed out left and right. The quality of play was great, and the number of OCVs shows how talented most of the players entering were. For the winning team, the Stardust Crusaders, I don’t even remember seeing Gorgeous Eileen, the captain of the team, actually playing in the tournament. Most of the teams were defeated by either Yutenji alone or Joseph.

※ The Tekken 6 tournament was a borefest up until the best 8, where it quickly turned exciting, at least for me. I don’t care for Tekken much nowadays, but I liked the final part of the tournament, whereas for VF5R the top 8 was boring, while the prelims were exciting.

※ During the Blazblue prelims, everyone was going crazy whenever an Arakune, Rachel or v-13 lost a round or a fight. Whenever a lower tier character like Carl or Bang started gaining the advantage, the place went nuts too, so far as to ignore the highlighted match on the big screen. Hopefully Arc Systems sees how painful it is to watch the top 3 dominate the game and makes some thoughtful changes.

※ When Mago got on the mic before his semi-final match against Cabbage/Gosho, the crowd started chanting “2D God!” and yup, Mago was eating it up. Gosho and Cabbage had a funny routine going, as Gosho was constantly thanking Cabbage for carrying his ass to the finals.

※ There was some white dude walking around the venue with a “Daigo Umehara The Beast” t-shirt on. It looked like he made it himself. Sigh.

※ Didn’t stick around to see Day 2 or Arcana or Guilty Gear, but I heard that Guilty Gear had a fantastic, climatic final.

^^Holy fucking shit.

s2e360.gif

Kuroda is a fucking boss.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Pretty awesome to see top KoF players rock the obviously SNK inspired Viper and wreck shop with her. Doubly awesome to not see any Ryu's.

Speaking of 3rd Strike players, we're finally seeing videos of Kokujin(best Dudley player) playing SF4. He has already put in a lot of time but he's not quite up there with the elites yet but his Ryu is still pretty good. At Gods Garden he had a embarrassing lost against a online Ryu player who taunted him a lot during there match.

But for anyone interested in watching his play, he's in some of the newest batch of videos uploaded by lordaborigine at youtube. He had a couple bad moments against a Guile where he messed up his Ultra twice after doing the SRK->FADC and almost lost the match but was still able to win.

BitchTits

Is Seth's Super invulnerable from behind?

I just had a player match where I (Gen) wall-dived landing behind just as opponent (Seth) did his Super, I did EX hands and it didn't hit him at all until the Super was over. Wondered if it was a property of his Super, or just with Gen's hands or even a glitch?

BitchTits said:
Is Seth's Super invulnerable from behind?

I just had a player match where I (Gen) wall-dived landing behind just as opponent (Seth) did his Super, I did EX hands and it didn't hit him at all until the Super was over. Wondered if it was a property of his Super, or just with Gen's hands or even a glitch?

I think it may be, at least at start up. I had the same experience. I played a Seth and jumped over him as he was about to do Ultra. I immediately Ultra'd right behind him and it went through him without him suffering any damage. I was like "WTF NOOOOOO" because he had a really big lead on me and that would have really helped.

BitchTits

Rice-Eater said:
I think it may be, at least at start up.
It was pretty much through the whole Super. I landed just as it started and mashed hands through the entire Super standing right next to him, it only connected when the Super ended.

I won any way :D - I do find the Gen vs Seth matchup a pain in the ass. Seths are usually very jumpy and keep away, and although Gen has the tools to catch up to most characters, I have a hard time doing so against Seth.

I like playing player matches b/c it's easy to get a good feel for your opponent, but sometimes I'm so sick of playing random people online.

I beat some guy who kept picking Zangief & Sagat against my Chun and I beat him 5-6 times before he quit and messaged me, "Stop playing Chun like a f*g!" I'm not even that good, he was just using lariats and tiger-knees all over the place =(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
nakedsushi said:
I like playing player matches b/c it's easy to get a good feel for your opponent, but sometimes I'm so sick of playing random people online.

I beat some guy who kept picking Zangief & Sagat against my Chun and I beat him 5-6 times before he quit and messaged me, "Stop playing Chun like a f*g!" I'm not even that good, he was just using lariats and tiger-knees all over the place =(

Yeah, random online players are incredibly annoying in this game, and I am pretty terrible so I do awful against people that are any good. It's a terrible pattern. :(

Any tips against Blanka though? I can't stand fighting this asshole, I play as Cammy.

LakeEarth

~Devil Trigger~ said:
im ABSOLUTELY convinced that Capcom did not test the Abel v Zangief match-up at all...

AT ALL
Wheel kick to beat lariat. Keep your distance, try d.fk when he's getting up. Beware EX green hand. Don't try any f.mk shenanigans. When he's losing and starts desperately empty jumping for the ultra, enter a tornado throw just before he lands. *ULTRA FLASH* reversal into TT. It's the best :lol

EDIT - That's for online, shitty Zangiefs that can't adjust their game beyond lariats.

Oh yeah, and don't try to use the INVULNERABLE SUPER!!! to beat lariat. You might win, but sometimes you don't. INVULNERABLE!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Does anyone have any tips for doing a double qcf motion with a stick? I've had the thing for a few weeks now and I've gotten pretty used to it, but a lot of times attempting to do an ultra will result in me doing an EX Cannon Spike, which is bad for many, many reasons :(

kitzkozan

Good to see that SF IV was the main attraction of day 1. :D SF IV should of been the main event of SBO imo.It's always bad when 50% of the crowd leave before your supposed main draw(Tekken 6 is logical since it's the most played arcade in Japan,but something tell me that there's a lot of variable as to why SF IV ain't as popular in the arcadia ranking).

I know all the hype surrounding Kuroda,but I would love to see some SBO matches featuring him. :D Hopefully he join the SF IV scene when Capcom release the update,especially if they include SF III characters.

TofuEater

Ysiadmihi said:
Does anyone have any tips for doing a double qcf motion with a stick? I've had the thing for a few weeks now and I've gotten pretty used to it, but a lot of times attempting to do an ultra will result in me doing an EX Cannon Spike, which is bad for many, many reasons :(

Are you trying to walk forward while you are doing the ultra?

Try neutraling the stick and then doing the ultra.

Also any tips on vsing Rose, I main Ryu and stuff around with sagat/balrog.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Timedog said:
what's with the weird obsession everyone has with SF3 Q? I feel like it's an inside joke I'm not privy to.

Q is the shit. Period. Mask, heavy breathing, grinding your face to pulp after a victory. And making the kids run. Word.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i would Roll AWAY from Gief, i mean Im in Rolling Animation, back on the ground, a good step away from him, and SPD still Fucking gets me, I'd teleport back in his arms...

no Capcom, no

Timedog said:
what's with the weird obsession everyone has with SF3 Q? I feel like it's an inside joke I'm not privy to.

Everything about Q screams underdog. He's the ultimate crowd favorite. His normals are unwieldy, leave you open and have low priority. He's slow and he's a big target. His special moves aren't all that special, and all are unsafe. He doesn't have a ton of options for his supers, except for his Daily Double, which requires him to be within throw distance and timing is difficult for the followup.

But then he taunts, and the tension in the crowd gets a little higher. And then he taunts again. And again. And all of a sudden Ken's super only does 1/8 of a bar. And he reaches out and tosses Ken into the air. And dives forward and slams his fist into his hollywood face. And he looks down at his opponent's corpse, and says nothing.

And the crowd erupts.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
God's Beard said:
Everything about Q screams underdog. He's the ultimate crowd favorite. His normals are unwieldy, leave you open and have low priority. He's slow and he's a big target. His special moves aren't all that special, and all are unsafe. He doesn't have a ton of options for his supers, except for his Daily Double, which requires him to be within throw distance and timing is difficult for the followup.

But then he taunts, and the tension in the crowd gets a little higher. And then he taunts again. And again. And all of a sudden Ken's super only does 1/8 of a bar. And he reaches out and tosses Ken into the air. And dives forward and slams his fist into his hollywood face. And he looks down at his opponent's corpse, and says nothing.

And the crowd erupts.

Goddamn. Beautifully put. Q is the ultimate middle finger in this Ryu-worshipping universe.

nakedsushi said:

Just add the people who are fun to play against. You can build a decent friends list in a couple days.

Things that should be changed for Q's inevitable inclusion in Super Street Fighter IV:

HCB (K) changed to QCB (K), QCB (HK) - becomes anti-air command grab

In air (hold HK) - flip kick fake

Crouching HP - hit distance close to Blanka's dive punch.

QCB (HP) - longer reach, no longer hits standing opponents.

Dash punches - have Q's head snap back as he dashes forward to be more consistent with his other animations.

Super - Daily Single(throw): QCF QCF (LP+LK) - Q picks up the opponent and punches him in the stomach, sending him flying forward.

Ultra - Daily Double(throw): QCF QCF (LP+LK) - Q picks up the opponent by the neck, danger lights flash and Q punches them in the stomach, then a double fisted slam launching them into the ceiling. Less forward distance compared to 3rd strike version.

The rest of his moves can stay the same/similar.

Taunt: I guess this could be replaced by having 125 stamina since SFIV taunts suck, but it kinda changes his whole playstyle and wouldn't be Q. I'd rather only him have a taunt special.

mostly I'm looking forward to FADC-faking out of the overhead dash punch :lol

Top Bottom