• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Welcoming of the Visitors Thread - V on ABC, every Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
okno said:
I'm going to keep watching this to see if things change for the better, but this is some awful, awful, awful shit. My god, whatever happened to subtlety?

I think the problem is they needed to set how this was going to differ from the original and that's why they pushed the pace of the first ep to get to a point where fans of the original would realize this is going to be new territory and not just a rehash. The twist caught me off guard and actually made me more interested to see where they would take this knowing full well that a lot of the themes and stuff done in the original will still probably happen here.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SpeedingUptoStop said:
The biggest problem this pilot has is that it seems to assume everyone knows what happened in the original V.

I don't think that is the case at all. I am watching it with someone who has no clue about the first one and they are enjoying it.

That reptile reveal came a little too fast, IMO. It was a shocker in the original.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
"Your people are easily threatened"....and yet they're totally comfortable in the presence of surrounding aliens from outer space that possess far superior technology.

SuperPac

okno said:
I'm going to keep watching this to see if things change for the better, but this is some awful, awful, awful shit. My god, whatever happened to subtlety?

It's a typical pilot, speeding through the initial setup to establish the conflict. It would've been better as a two-hour pilot movie to give a little more time between the initial landing and start of the whole resistance thing.

Oh snap!!!!!!

SpeedingUptoStop

dskillzhtown said:
I don't think that is the case at all. I am watching it with someone who has no clue about the first one and they are enjoying it.

That reptile reveal came a little too fast, IMO. It was a shocker in the original.
This is what I mean when I say "it assumes people know already". The reptile reveal could've be put off a while, til atleast mid season if done right. They just threw it out there straight away, not shocking at all.

dskillzhtown said:

I think the writers knew that there are a lot of people who already knew, and those that didn't because it's not a new series anymore, the fact that they were lizards would get leaked or known pretty quickly. It's just not something you can hide when you're doing a remake like this. So rather than trying to make an event out of it which could blow up in their face by everyone saying lame, I already knew that, they went a different route. So I'm ok with the quick reptile view cuz there was no way in hell most people wouldn't know about it if they didn't do it by the first ep. Heck if they didn't, it would have been all over about people talking about how they didn't do it yet and wonder when.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
This is what I mean when I say "it assumes people know already". The reptile reveal could've be put off a while, til atleast mid season if done right. They just threw it out there straight away, not shocking at all.

That's not the case about assumes people knowing already. There's nothing here that assumes you know everything already. The only thing they did was reveal it right way rather than everyone finding out elsewhere making it a pointless reveal.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Marty Chinn said:
I think the problem is they needed to set how this was going to differ from the original and that's why they pushed the pace of the first ep to get to a point where fans of the original would realize this is going to be new territory and not just a rehash. The twist caught me off guard and actually made me more interested to see where they would take this knowing full well that a lot of the themes and stuff done in the original will still probably happen here.

I think the issue is "where do we go from here?" But at the same time, with much of the audience knowing the truth already, I can see the need to hasten the plot.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Okay, I understand.

Marty Chinn said:

What was the twist? It seems pretty close to the original, from what I remember.

PrivateWHudson said:
What was the twist? It seems pretty close to the original, from what I remember.

Sleeper cells and them already being among us for some time. Who knows what they've already done.

Seth C

okno said:

And what's with everyone talking about the pilot moving too fast? Despite a lot happening, the pacing still managed to bore me.

Marty Chinn said:
Sleeper cells and them already being among us for some time. Who knows what they've already done.

So this show is basically the reptile people conspiracy theorist stuff that has been around for years, in TV form. Next up? The entire Bush family are reptile people.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Marty Chinn said:

Duh. They've done 9/11. Bin Laden is clearly a lizard man.

NimbusD

Marty Chinn said:

Yeah there are still better ways to do that then pressing fast forward and throwing character developement (or set up) in the toilet.

This was really unsatisfying. This would have benefited from holding off the twist till the second episode or moving the starting point of the story to after the aliens had been there for a while, a la district 9.

Marty Chinn said:

Oh...I guess that just seems obvious for any advanced race that could look just like us and figured that was in the original to some extent.

Marty Chinn said:

Yeah, that is new. It doesn't really change the story up that much from what I remember.

I don't know what I think of this Pilot. They had a lot of material to work with and they kind of blew their load in the first 45 minutes.

SpeedingUptoStop

I dunno if it's a good or a bad thing that the main alien girl reminds me of an ex-girlfriend of mine...

Did I have sexual relations with an alien? :-O

Two plot holes I noticed. First, why would a race so advanced need to infiltrate our society in order to "obliterate" us? Second, how has a V not been discovered amongst us? If they just wear human skin wouldn't their arrival at a morgue kind of give them away instantly?

NimbusD said:
Yeah there are still better ways to do that then pressing fast forward and throwing character developement (or set up) in the toilet.

This was really unsatisfying. This would have benefited from holding off the twist till the second episode or moving the starting point of the story to after the aliens had been there for a while, a la district 9.

I honestly think it needed a two hour pilot to set it up so I can agree that the pacing is pushing it. But given what they had to work with, I really think they couldn't have held off the lizard reveal past the first night it was on. They had to get to that point on the first day be it a one hour ep or a two hour ep. Unfortunately they only had one hour to work with.

gdt

Imperial Hot said:
Two plot holes I noticed. First, why would a race so advanced need to infiltrate our society in order to "obliterate" us? Second, how has a V not been discovered amongst us? If they just wear human skin wouldn't their arrival at a morgue kind of give them away instantly?

The preview brought that up.

Blader

Seemed pretty solid, certainly better than Flashforward.

It did move pretty quickly, but I don't mind it since the deck is stacked against this show and it needs to get audiences hooked as quickly as possible if it wants to survive past a first season (hell, I'm not even sure a whole season is guaranteed at this point). People saying that the lizard reveal should have waited until midseason or end of the season are crazy; were that the case, this show would be cancelled for sure.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Imperial Hot said:

These aren't plot holes. The first just hasn't been explained yet. The second, well.. i'm sure that they are keeping track of each other and making sure that doesn't happen.

Imperial Hot said:

Because destroying us isn't their goal. It would be a waste of resources and hurt their goal. It's much easier to lure people in and trap them rather than beat them by force. So infiltrating us gives them a much better way to feed on our weaknesses.

Marty Chinn said:
I honestly think it needed a two hour pilot to set it up so I can agree that the pacing is pushing it. But given what they had to work with, I really think they couldn't have held off the lizard reveal past the first night it was on. They had to get to that point on the first day be it a one hour ep or a two hour ep. Unfortunately they only had one hour to work with.

I don't know, I think they could have introduced the concept of sleeper cells and played with that a bit without jumping into the lizard men reveal.

Also, there are absolutely no characters I like on this show.

Damn, I thought it was going to be 2 hour premier type thing, that was way too fast. At this rate, you would think it would end in like 5-7 episodes or something, though that might be a good thing in the end.

SpeedingUptoStop

Imperial Hot said:
Yea, the fact none of them have died until now is bizarre and the fact that everyone on the planet assumed they were just like us biologically is weird too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
quadriplegicjon said:
These aren't plot holes. The first just hasn't been explained yet. The second, well.. i'm sure that they are keeping track of each other and making sure that doesn't happen.

If they were keeping track of each other, then there wouldn't very well be traitors. They'd be dealt with pretty darned quick.

Though, the preview seems to imply that they are a lot harder to kill that humans, so that could explain the morgue issue.

ollin

I thought the pilot was pretty good. It does have more potential than Flashforward. Too bad there's only 3 more episodes left then we have to wait until next season.

DoctorWho said:
I don't know, I think they could have introduced the concept of sleeper cells and played with that a bit without jumping into the lizard men reveal.

Also, there are absolutely no characters I like on this show.

I think it's a much bigger shock to show sleepers with the lizard reveal. It jumps out at you without saying such. Otherwise how do you do it without someone yelling out I'm an alien. It's a much better oh shit moment when you realize they're among them already from a visual stand point.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Archaix said:
If they were keeping track of each other, then there wouldn't very well be traitors. They'd be dealt with pretty darned quick.

Er. i meant that they are fully aware of the issue and that the traitors are keeping track of each other and the regular Vs are keeping track of each other.. with clean up crews and whatnot. seriously. it's not a plot hole. not everything has to be completely spelled out.

Ponn

Banned
So do we already have "Kris Kristofferson Was Right" pics yet? They should totally bring him in later as the bad ass Michael Ironside replacement.

And also :lol at Universal Healthcare being a plan by aliens to help destroy us all. There goes the Healthcare Bill. Thanks ABC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom