• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Welcoming of the Visitors Thread - V on ABC, every Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJK

leroy hacker said:
Also, it should have been clear they weren't going to wait very long for the lizard reveal when they showed that scene in a trailer months ago.

To be honest, not knowing what had already been revealed about the series, I was disappointed that they played to the 'lizard skin' card right away in the first episode. Give the audience enough time to question whether or even if they'd see it, before jumping in and showing it off. (I don't think lizard skin is really central to the story, so much as the V's disguising themselves to look human.)

Definitely some rough edges to the pilot, but the dearth of good programming on Tuesday nights will have me tuning in anyway.

Javaman

The more I think about it, the more awesome it would have been had the resistance been one of the sleeper cells that the FBI chick was investigating. She could have chased after trails for a couple of episodes where there were hints that they were building up an arsenal to attack something (without her knowing the target was the Vs) Eventually have her bust in on a group of the resistance with her partner while they are in the middle of interrogating a V.

leroy hacker said:
I didn't mind that it moved so quickly. In fact, I appreciated the change of pace from the much slower moving Lost and Flash Forward.

Many possible scenes were skipped but I don't think there would have been anything interesting or non-obvious about them. Clearly they are targeting an audience familiar with the original, for whom the standard elements of an alien first contact story are old-hat. I can easily fill in the blanks for what they didn't show, and look forward to see instead the story of both the past infiltration and what happens next.

Also, it should have been clear they weren't going to wait very long for the lizard reveal when they showed that scene in a trailer months ago.

I'm sorry, but I just prefer my shows to be developed, not cliff notes of a story. I don't mind the reveal of the lizards in the first episode, but come on, most of the jumps were downright silly.

What initially impressed me about LOST was the focus on the development of characters and backgrounds, so that they felt like real people with real issues. People are bored by Mad Men for similar reasons, I dunno...I guess I just don't mind giving the creators time to tell their story.

Freyjadour said:
I'm sorry, but I just prefer my shows to be developed, not cliff notes of a story. I don't mind the reveal of the lizards in the first episode, but come on, most of the jumps were downright silly.

What initially impressed me about LOST was the focus on the development of characters and backgrounds, so that they felt like real people with real issues. People are bored by Mad Men for similar reasons, I dunno...I guess I just don't mind giving the creators time to tell their story.

Who is to say that they aren't going to do that? We don't start Lost getting to know the characters. We throw them into a situation and see their reactions and stuff, and then slowly show each character and who they are. Are people forgetting how Lost started? We just hit the first episode and already people are declaring no character development, they skipped over way too much. We simply don't know what direction this is going in quite yet nor what character development there will be. Give it at least a few episodes before declaring they skipped over everything.

Just updated the OP with links where to watch online, and ratings info. Will update the synopsis of the second ep as soon as it's available. Do you guys think I should spoiler the details on the episode until the episode airs or just leave it open for anyone to read?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Marty Chinn said:
Who is to say that they aren't going to do that? We don't start Lost getting to know the characters. We throw them into a situation and see their reactions and stuff, and then slowly show each character and who they are. Are people forgetting how Lost started? We just hit the first episode and already people are declaring no character development, they skipped over way too much. We simply don't know what direction this is going in quite yet nor what character development there will be.
The first episode of Lost was a two hour premiere that was solely concerned with the immediate problems of the plane crash and a minimal portion of the island. The first episode of V is an hour that covers the first four weeks of a world newly introduced to aliens, who are among us, and have a traitorous faction. They took completely opposite approaches. I can't believe you think Lost had some quick kickstart. If Lost did what V did, the premiere would have had them not only crashing and encountering Smokey, but also discovering the Others and opening the Hatch. As if after the first commercial break on Lost we find them with log cabins built on the beach.

Give it at least a few episodes before declaring they skipped over everything.
Something tells me they're not going to go back and show us a realistic reaction to the aliens' arrival. They can't take away people clapping at a face in the sky. They can't take away how Anna came down within hours and gave a presser as if she were mayor and not a scary, potentially dangerous creature from another world. There's no way these Visitors arrive and within a couple weeks are giving tours of their ships to humans without any sort of military presence. Hell, even with the military involved that would be insane. These things happening are so far removed from the way the real world works.

There's no getting around the fact that they crammed a shitload of events into 45 minutes of screentime and left out all the interesting socio-political stuff that would be interesting and dramatic.

Marty Chinn said:
Who is to say that they aren't going to do that? We don't start Lost getting to know the characters. We throw them into a situation and see their reactions and stuff, and then slowly show each character and who they are. Are people forgetting how Lost started? We just hit the first episode and already people are declaring no character development, they skipped over way too much. We simply don't know what direction this is going in quite yet nor what character development there will be. Give it at least a few episodes before declaring they skipped over everything.

I'm not saying they aren't, but it would be a bit unreasonable to expect them to go back and explain how exactly she jumped from FBI agent to resistance fighter/leader in the span of minutes. My money is on the only reason being the fight with her FBI buddy. Part of the reason I think so many are put off by this pilot is the fact that we really don't know enough about these characters to care or understand why they are making the decisions they've made. They have zero depth at this point.

LOST from the beginning spun a tale of mystery and unknowns at every turn. The structure of the show was a large part of the reason we were introduced to so many people without a lot of background. Even without this though, it was presented in a way that brought forth concern, such as Claire being pregnant or Jack running around frantically trying to save every single person.

I haven't lost faith in the show yet, but I really don't see it turning around completely from what we've been shown thus far.

Dan said:
The first episode of Lost was a two hour premiere that was solely concerned with the immediate problems of the plane crash and a minimal portion of the island. The first episode of V is an hour that covers the first four weeks of a world newly introduced to aliens, who are among us, and have a traitorous faction. They took completely opposite approaches. I can't believe you think Lost had some quick kickstart. If Lost did what V did, the premiere would have had them not only crashing and encountering Smokey, but also discovering the Others and opening the Hatch. As if after the first commercial break on Lost we find them with log cabins built on the beach.

The point was there was very little character development in the pilot two hour premiere and that was all pushed off into later episodes. To put down V already for having no character development is pre-mature at this point since we only had the pilot episode. I do agree that I wish the pilot had been two hours instead of one, but I don't blame the writers for doing things such as jumping to the reveal of who the visitors really are. I think anyone thinking that should have been a slow reveal is insane because there is no way they could have built that up and made it a surprise. It's impossible. It would have been wasted usage of time in the series which would have in the end resulted in absolutely no pay off.

Something tells me they're not going to go back and show us a realistic reaction to the aliens' arrival. They can't take away people clapping at a face in the sky. They can't take away how Anna came down within hours and gave a presser as if she were mayor and not a scary, potentially dangerous creature from another world. There's no way these Visitors arrive and within a couple weeks are giving tours of their ships to humans without any sort of military presence. Hell, even with the military involved that would be insane. These things happening are so far removed from the way the real world works.

There's no getting around the fact that they crammed a shitload of events into 45 minutes of screentime and left out all the interesting socio-political stuff that would be interesting and dramatic.

You must have not seen the original. The events that you stated happened there. Heck this speaks volumes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_ig4qwauE&feature=related

I still say it's way too early to count out us not seeing the social-political stuff in the show because that was a core theme of the original You'd be surprised how much the original 5 part mini-series/Final Battle glosses over too. In many ways it would be a waste of time to take so long to go through all that and still have people interested. I think you can jump ahead, get to the core of what the writers are trying to do with the show and still have the social effects on the side without waiting forever to build up the concept of the resistance and so forth. If you take four episodes to build up to the resistance, you'd lose people and the show would be canceled.

In fact going back to the original series, here is what happens in about the first hour:

- Visitors land and state why they are here
- Press gets immediate tour minutes after first meeting the visitors
- Factories open to the visitors with tons of visitors working there
- Open arms to the visitors
- Visitors youth program established and people already joining
- Lizard revelation
- Gerbil eaten
- Resistance starts to form
- Scientists are declared outlaws

Again, that happens in just a little over the amount of time of the pilot of the new series. In fact more happens than what has happened already. Stuff moved quickly then as it wasn't the focus. They moved that stuff along to get to the core story which is the resistance.

Not too bad. I was actually surprised at the second big reveal (even if the first was a no brainer). It's pretty terribly written, but the plot moves along fairly nicely.

Dan

Marty Chinn said:
The point was there was very little character development in the pilot two hour premiere and that was all pushed off into later episodes. To put down V already for having no character development is pre-mature at this point since we only had the pilot episode. I do agree that I wish the pilot had been two hours instead of one, but I don't blame the writers for doing things such as jumping to the reveal of who the visitors really are. I think anyone thinking that should have been a slow reveal is insane because there is no way they could have built that up and made it a surprise. It's impossible. It would have been wasted usage of time in the series which would have in the end resulted in absolutely no pay off.
I don't really see people complaining about no character development, so that's a strawman. Saying the characters are uninteresting isn't saying there's no development. Lost's Jack wasn't exactly 'developed' in the premiere, but he was interesting. I would argue there's absolutely nothing interesting about Erica, in part because she shows zero interest in the events of the world around her, which is sort of used as an excuse by the show to not develop the outside world at all. It's why I think Father Jack and Chad were the only interesting ones, since they were at least paying attention to the Visitors and thinking about them and how their futures might mix.

It's not like developing the world requires the show to take a less intimate point of view either. Look at Children of Men. It revolves entirely around Clive Owen's character, but we still get to learn the basics of how the world and its population evolved after the universe's major event (the end of human births).

I also don't think revealing who the Visitors are necessitates rushing through so much plot. It'd be easy to give audiences that tantalizing tidbit without rushing to give not only that but two further twists to the characters.

You must have not seen the original. The events that you stated happened there. Heck this speaks volumes:
I don't care what the original did or did not do. It's irrelevant. Something stupid doesn't become good just because the source material did it too.

I still say it's way too early to count out us not seeing the social-political stuff in the show because that was a core theme of the original
I didn't say it won't delve into it in the future, but they failed to lay all the groundwork during the time such groundwork would naturally occur.

If you take four episodes to build up to the resistance, you'd lose people and the show would be canceled.
That sucks but I don't really care. If a show's willingness to pander to impatience and determined what I considered quality television, then I'd be watching CBS procedurals. We all know the first five episodes of Dollhouse were made with good intentions of attracting viewers and whatnot, but they were still almost exclusively the worst episodes the show has produced.

They moved that stuff along to get to the core story which is the resistance.
Then it would have been really nice had the resistance formed in some sensible manner, rather than with a guy spouting crazy talk, some near-meaningless photos that magically confirm everything and suddenly our lead characters are on board. It's just *poof* the characters are in the resistance, which means about as much to me as it does to them: very little.

At the end of the day, I think the interesting elements of this story would be best served in a longer, more deliberate method than the pilot demonstrates.

The more I write and talk about this show the more I hate it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The fact that "the Resistance" is only like, 30 American people, and half of them are now dead, doesn't really make them much of a Resistance.

Episode should've ended with Juliet carting her lizard partner's body up to the White House and dumping it on the steps. Then shit would gotten real real.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Javaman said:
The more I think about it, the more awesome it would have been had the resistance been one of the sleeper cells that the FBI chick was investigating. She could have chased after trails for a couple of episodes where there were hints that they were building up an arsenal to attack something (without her knowing the target was the Vs) Eventually have her bust in on a group of the resistance with her partner while they are in the middle of interrogating a V.

I thought that is where they were going with that. The more I think about it, the more pissed I am getting. I wish the writers could explain why they felt like they needed to rush the episode and provide no real depth to the episode.

Blader

Dan said:
That sucks but I don't really care. If a show's willingness to pander to impatience and determined what I considered quality television, then I'd be watching CBS procedurals. We all know the first five episodes of Dollhouse were made with good intentions of attracting viewers and whatnot, but they were still almost exclusively the worst episodes the show has produced.

Aren't you defeating your own point here? You're complaining that V should have taken a slower approach to building its plot, but that's what Dollhouse did and those episodes were--as you just said--awful (so much so that I dropped the show :lol).

Dan said:
I don't really see people complaining about no character development, so that's a strawman. Saying the characters are uninteresting isn't saying there's no development.

Really? Did you read the thread? Plenty of people complained about the lack of character development. Here's some quotes...

NimbusD said:
Yeah there are still better ways to do that then pressing fast forward and throwing character developement (or set up) in the toilet.

Full Recovery said:
That was bad. Far too rushed and with that they missed out on a lot of character development.

Not going to watch this series.

Vyer said:
So far it was 'okay'. Ended on a nice note (except for the 'let's give away some spoilers!' preview) and you can see some potential. But yeah the pacing is bad, they didn't give much of a thought to fleshing out the characters and some of the ones they did work on were a little too generic.

needs work. But it's a pilot, so I'll give it a few episodes to come together.

Freyjadour said:
I'm not so sure a longer premiere would have been the answer, but I definitely think what was shown could have been introduced over several weeks of episodes and given the background and characters more development.

Seems like you missed the complaints about the lack of character development in this very thread.

Lost's Jack wasn't exactly 'developed' in the premiere, but he was interesting. I would argue there's absolutely nothing interesting about Erica, in part because she shows zero interest in the events of the world around her, which is sort of used as an excuse by the show to not develop the outside world at all. It's why I think Father Jack and Chad were the only interesting ones, since they were at least paying attention to the Visitors and thinking about them and how their futures might mix.

I think this is fairly valid even though a lot of the characters in Lost weren't interesting characters at first either. I think this needs to get developed over time, just like Lost did. You can't be interested in all the characters right away because there's not enough time to do that. I agree some of them aren't interesting now, but it's unrealistic to think they all should be interesting now.

It's not like developing the world requires the show to take a less intimate point of view either. Look at Children of Men. It revolves entirely around Clive Owen's character, but we still get to learn the basics of how the world and its population evolved after the universe's major event (the end of human births).

Children of Men is a two hour movie that was designed to have a beginning, middle and an end to the story. The V pilot is 40 minutes long and is a prolog of the story. Hardly a valid or fair comparison.

I also don't think revealing who the Visitors are necessitates rushing through so much plot. It'd be easy to give audiences that tantalizing tidbit without rushing to give not only that but two further twists to the characters.

But really what plot did we rush through. You complain about pacing, but if you drag out all the details, you would bore people and people wouldn't watch the show. The original was a huge hit and did similar things in the span of an hour.

I don't care what the original did or did not do. It's irrelevant. Something stupid doesn't become good just because the source material did it too.

It is pretty relevent because the original was a huge hit, and is fairly well loved. It's such a popular property that they of course are doing a remake of it. So you can't blame them for trying to stick to some of the themes and story points from the original.

People didn't think it was stupid then, and I still say the pacing is fine in the original. Why? Because the story isn't a huge focus all the social political things that happened from first contact and what happened right after. They glossed over it then too. Sure there are social and political commentary and parallels that pop in as it goes but that's well after the stuff that some of you wanted to see.

The show has always been about freedom fighters and the resistance. In fact the opening to the original states this "To the heorism of the Resistance Fighters --past, present, and future-- this work is respectfully dedicated". You're trying to take a show that is about the Resistance and cloud it up with all sorts of stuff before getting to the Resistance. That's not the focus here. They got the the seeds of the Resistance right away so they can focus on them.

What you want would be like taking Battlestar Galactica and having all the stuff that lead to the Cylon attack on Caprica and seeing the aftermath and all the stuff that happened during the attack. That's not the focus. The focus is on the survivors and the Battlestar Galactica and to have all of that would have lost focus and made the show worse.

I didn't say it won't delve into it in the future, but they failed to lay all the groundwork during the time such groundwork would naturally occur.

Uh Dollhouse took the slow approach that you wanted and failed and you even said it was boring. Thanks for proving my point.

Then it would have been really nice had the resistance formed in some sensible manner, rather than with a guy spouting crazy talk, some near-meaningless photos that magically confirm everything and suddenly our lead characters are on board. It's just *poof* the characters are in the resistance, which means about as much to me as it does to them: very little.

It's not even really formed yet. Just the seeds have been laid out. There's a lot to go just like in the original of how it just took a few people to start out but the full on Resistance doesn't start until about three hours into the original series which if you take the total run time, that's about 40% into it. There will be plenty to build on as they try to build the resistance in the new series.

At the end of the day, I think the interesting elements of this story would be best served in a longer, more deliberate method than the pilot demonstrates.

The more I write and talk about this show the more I hate it.

The more you're missing the point of the show. It's not about the details of how the world reacts. You just accept that people fall for the lure of what they're offering and only a few people can see what is really going on. That is how the original was, and that's how this is going to be most likely. There's a famous quote that states "The bigger the lie, the more people will believe it" and that certainly is a theme here in both the original and the new series.

Go watch the original if you don't believe what I'm saying. Again the original is well loved and was a huge hit, so you can't blame them for at least taking some of the core concepts and using it here such as the focus being on the resistance and not the overall world view. You want it to be something that it's not and never was going to be but that's not the fault of the show. Not focusing on the Resistance would be like not making the visitors lizards.

I wonder if one source of disappointment for some people here is that the new V isn't simply the old V for a new generation. I'm glad they're doing a different take on the concept first of all because the old V already exists and secondly because I found the concept of the old V to be sort of silly when I watched it recently(I was a few years too young to have seen it originally). It was an extremely unsubtle allegory about the rise of fascism with a holocaust survivor conveniently on hand to point out the similarities. Here they seem to be aiming for a different concept based more on contemporary America than Nazi Germany. Of course, it remains to be seen how well anything will be developed, but I think there's promise here.

My concern, and boy it's been a while, is that it seems like a plucky band of heroes as the resistance with no trace of an awesome grass roots group across the country. I can't imagine at this point any awesome sequences with safe houses in the desert and a bunch of anonymous red shirts greeting our heroes and what not.

I don't know if that makes much sense, but it's summed up pretty well in the V-fitti somehow being a symbol of acceptance and peace of the visitors as opposed to one of resistance.

Anyway, the production values are certainly strong, which'll definitely buy them at least a few weeks of good will, although wasting Elizabeth Mitchell in her constant "Oh hey son, check out what a cool and sarcastic parent I am!" is right up there with like wasting Paul Rudd in Knocked Up.

CRIMINAL!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
it was decent, I'll keep watching. feels like they missed.... something though.

SpeedingUptoStop

Bildocube said:
The line "you call it tagging, I call it spreading hope" we so crappily delivered by the son dude. I cringed.
What hope are they even spreading? From what Ive seen, absolutely no one on the planet doubts the Vs are our saviors.:lol *claps at face in the sky*

jason10mm

Gold Member
Meh, let me VERY underwhelmed.

I can understand that they figure EVERYONE knows abut the original "V" and so they want to break into new ground as quickly as possible, but that still doesn't excuse the rushed nature of the pilot.

I REALLY didn't like how they handled the lizard reveal. Even if I was expecting it, why blow a classic sci-fi moment like that. If they were just gonna toss it out there to no dramatic effect, why keep it at all? Make the Vs machines, clones, insects, or flaming goats if you need to switch from the original, don't just waste the moment! Plus why in the HELL would the FBI chick leave all those V bodies? It looked to me like the Resistance sorta won the fight and gets to clean up, which includes V bodies and I think some V weapons.

Having the Vs already on Earth also REALLY defeats the show, IMHO. For starters, why is Anna bothering to seduce a human when they could have EASILY pre-positioned one of their own. If they can fake a background check well enough to get into the FBI, they ought to be able to get someone on even a local news station in order to be "picked" by Anna.

The black guy is even more problematic. He is planning on getting married to a human. To what end, exactly? Does he age? Can he reproduce? What was his genius plan for keeping her safe once the motherships showed up? He MUST know their goal, right?

Even worse, he was ONCE involved with the resistance at some level, then quits. Yet he tries to avoid the resistance even AFTER the ships arrive. HELLO, they are coming for you!!!

Sounds to me like he could easily go on TV, denounce the Vs, rip off his face, and boost the resistance 4000% immediately. I'm sure they will work the Conversion mind altering stuff in soon to explain why the resistance can't go public.

Anyway, I hope the show moves to where it wants to be soon so I can figure out where it is going. I have a feeling these first 4 eps are gonna move like rockets, then they will sit back and see what was liked/disliked, and they will tailor the final eps to that.

mrkgoo

Freyjadour said:

I thought the show was pretty good. I liked the fast paced nature. We've SEEN aliens come to Earth dozens of times before - it'd just be cliché.

I get the feeling they're cutting to the chase so they can tell the story they want to tell - and that isn't about how the aliens got here, but what they're doing now that they are here. Thats the more interesting part, get the setup out of the way instead of spending 4 episodes.

Perhaps they compressed several episodes down so they can fit a lot in the first 4 episodes.

And just to mention, I'm getting a bit sick of every show trying to be compared to Lost. Lost was awesome and a landmark Television event, but does that mean have to have everything like Lost now?

Anyway, thought it was good. I'll keep watching.

PBY

Banned
wow, I pretty openminded usually when it comes to new shows, especially sci fi, but this was garbage. Poorly paced, poorly acted, poorly shot, and poorly written. Show looks cheap and the cg looks terrible.

Darklord

Banned
Well I saw this today...yeah, why didn't they just show the reptile alien, posing as an FBI agent to the government? Or why isn't that black guy whos an alien come forward and say it's a trap? This story is covered in plot holes in 1 episode.

Schrade

Heh. Funny PvP comic:

http://www.pvponline.com/2009/11/05/touch-down/
2nuoyvt.png

I kinda had the same thought while watching that scene. I was wanting to see a kickass game like Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2 being played on a bigass screen like that.

Dan

Blader5489 said:
Aren't you defeating your own point here? You're complaining that V should have taken a slower approach to building its plot, but that's what Dollhouse did and those episodes were--as you just said--awful (so much so that I dropped the show :lol).
Marty Chinn said:
Uh Dollhouse took the slow approach that you wanted and failed and you even said it was boring. Thanks for proving my point.
No. The Dollhouse opening episodes sucked because they didn't develop any of what ultimately made the series interesting. Those episodes failed because the stakes of each episode didn't endure because the relevant characters/personas ceased to exist. Shows can be "slow" and still have kickass development. See The Wire, Carnivale, etc. The first few Dollhouse episodes proved almost completely irrelevant to the rest of the series. My argument is that I believe showing real reactions to the alien arrival, showing people's views on them change, etc. is absolutely important to the relevance of the story. Those are the immediate stakes of the story, as laid out in the final conversation of the pilot. It's just hard to see because the plot was so damned nonsensical and clunky and despite stating that these are the stakes a few times, it wasn't developed. Instead they literally skipped over the weeks in which

Marty Chinn said:
Children of Men is a two hour movie that was designed to have a beginning, middle and an end to the story. The V pilot is 40 minutes long and is a prolog of the story. Hardly a valid or fair comparison.
That has nothing to do with my point at all. It's about economy of storytelling. Children of Men was both more intimate and more universe-informing in its first 20 minutes than the 45 minutes of V.

What you want would be like taking Battlestar Galactica and having all the stuff that lead to the Cylon attack on Caprica and seeing the aftermath and all the stuff that happened during the attack. That's not the focus. The focus is on the survivors and the Battlestar Galactica and to have all of that would have lost focus and made the show worse.
That's a terrible example since BSG's pilot miniseries spent a significant chunk of it setting up the world and characters before the main Cylon attack. I'm not asking for V to put off the aliens landing for ages, in fact, I'm not asking for that to be put off at all. Just let me see real reactions to it, a realistic reaction that's relevant to the world we live in, not this farcical bullshit where people clap, aliens are almost instantly hamming it up with reporters and within 3 weeks alien ships are tourist attractions. As the pilot set things up, its world has absolutely nothing in common with the world I live in. You can't possibly watch this pilot and believe it's not a show that's going to be about the dangers of people flocking to the seductive powers of a cult of personality. Shit, the episode ended on making that the most dramatic point! But just telling us this isn't engaging at all, and having us follow the idiot son and showing that his seduction to the alien cause is based solely on him being horny ain't helping matters.

But really what plot did we rush through. You complain about pacing, but if you drag out all the details, you would bore people and people wouldn't watch the show. The original was a huge hit and did similar things in the span of an hour.
Did the original reveal the the Visitors have already been among humans? That's there's a population of traitor Visitors? Did the protagonists become convinced of the conspiracy in a span of two minutes because some guy they've never met tells a story with no evidence and some meaningless photos? I'd say they rushed through a whole lot.

The more you're missing the point of the show. It's not about the details of how the world reacts. You just accept that people fall for the lure of what they're offering and only a few people can see what is really going on.
But see, where's the interesting conflict when those "few people" are so goddamned easily convinced of the Truth? Even if the show is only about setting up the resistance and the ensuing insurgency, the show still set that up terribly.

Not focusing on the Resistance would be like not making the visitors lizards.
Now that's a show with potential.

Seriously though, I fail to see the story benefit to the lizard thing. So it's like BSG and the skinjobs except that they're a thousand times easier to discover.

All in all, it doesn't matter what this show is trying to be about. Thus far it's extremely poorly told, it has little to no relevance to the real world and the characters are mostly written like idiots.

Viewt

Finally got around to watching the pilot on Hulu. My thoughts:

- The mother/son plot's been done to death elsewhere. I get that having him all brainwashed and pro-V introduces some drama with Juliet, but we know that story. They butt heads, the son eventually betrays the mother, and she ends up having to save him. He then carries that guilt and becomes emotionally wrecked. Come on, guys.

- Bummer than Alan Tudyk isn't a series regular. He's great.

- If you have a stealthy little machine that can identify heat signatures and recognize faces AND shoot bullets, why would you send in a team of living people that can be killed? And furthermore, why would Alan Tudyk blow his cover? He's an FBI Agent for fuck's sake. Some no-name grunt can throw around alien dagger-knives. Why's he got to get involved, other than for a cheap reveal?

- The black dude (can't remember his name) being a V? Called that from the moment they introduced him. Not necessarily a bad thing, though. As far as I'm concerned, he's the most interesting character right now.

- I wasn't bothered that they showed the reptilian skin right off the bat. V isn't an obscure little project that everyone's forgotten about. It's an established (if a bit tarnished) franchise, and just about everybody knows they're lizard people. Why stretch it out and waste time? Besides, they needed something beyond creepy/beautiful faces in the sky to hook people in.

- You know what this show really needs? A Michael Giacchino score. Maybe that'd make it a little too LOST-y, but it really would've helped.

Wickerman

peterb0y said:
wow, I pretty openminded usually when it comes to new shows, especially sci fi, but this was garbage. Poorly paced, poorly acted, poorly shot, and poorly written. Show looks cheap and the cg looks terrible.

I hate that the interior shots of the ship were CG.

It didn't look good at all :(

sirris

I grew up with the original series. So I definitely had high expectations. I think the original felt better in alot of ways. It was this militaristic gestapo WW2 inspired event with this alien race rolling into 'France' and taking over with a smile. The uniforms were cool in 80's V also. Great designs and you knew who were the aliens and who weren't without needing to guess. And where are the damn shock troopers?? Where is the V military? Why does everyone wear something designed by Gucci? No one questions that? And the terrorism thing is a turn off to me. I'm tapped out on the terrorist theme nonsense. When you have a 5 mile wide space craft that can bat fighter craft out of the sky, why the hell do you need V's dressed as hobos on the planet ahead of arrival time? I mean really now. It stinks of a bad BSG rip off. It's the "who are the cylons??" game and it was already done better on that show. There is way way too much melodrama already going on and they are just going to pour that shit on as time progresses. Just too much "lets incorporate all these other shows into this one and hope the shoe fits."

Here is what I suspect will happen:

Melodrama continues. Terrorism nonsense continues. V's pour on more of a political agenda and work the subversion angle till its completely boring and drawn out. Kid becomes "hitler youth" but with more emo power. V's continue to wear Gucci and have zero military feel or presence. Hidden V alien populace reveals continue in drips and drabs with alot of "and I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids." Show just completely jumps the shark before they even finish filming the rest of this season.

Here is what I hope will happen:

Melodrama gets pulled back a few notches. Some of the storyline "fat" is trimmed back (ie: don't drag out the alien guy and his fiancees crap. Don't spend half a season on angst ridden teenager & mom going "woe is me". etc). They build on how society is breaking down from all this and paint a broader picture and put less focus on cliched personal crisis and really make it about the survival of man. V's get outed and the real "unveiling" happens complete with troopers, warships, weapons & the iron fist of reptilian doom. I can see a dozen angles they could do that from. Make the resistance a real rag tag force who ends up being the real subversion instead of the V's. Resistance realizes red dye #5 kills the V's and they win (anyone who knows the old show should get that joke).

I'm not asking for a repeat mind you. But I am asking for more menace. More in your face menace. Less smiles and hugs and Gucci. Its boring because then the only focus is on the melodrama of the resistance and the V's become stale and bland and uninteresting. Just a bunch of snappy dressers with ugly spaceships and no real screen presence. I want my fucking shock troopers. Just give me my goddamn shock troopers. End of rant.

peterb0y said:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
did anyone else think that the V's human skin looked a bit thick? They'll have to be tiny skinny lizard people

as for my impressions. Bit too fast, bit too much revealed, juliets son is fucking annoying. But not bad. Will reserve judgement for a few episodes

SuperPac

sarcastor said:
good god could juliet's son be any more sandy V or a whiny, emo bitch?

Watched the pilot again last night and anytime he or his friend were on screen I wanted to punch them square in the face.

mrkgoo

It's a tough call for 'V'. How do you reconcile all the different needs and wants of the audience? Some people want the old series redone - others expect to see a new take. Some people want more development about the aliens integrating and all that that implies - others want to cut to the chase and see the war.

I thought it was a really mediocre Pilot. They definitely should have paced out some of the reveals and the 3 week time jump was extremely lazy.

The son and his friend need to die right away. Every scene with them was fucking awful.

Javaman

Anna can suck it. Jane Badler was a much better sci/leader. She's apparently been offered a guest part if she wants it on the new series.

Future

Moved way too fast for sure, but it had to. Damn original show was on the air multiple times including this year. Lizard skin is not something to pretend to keep secret.

I liked everything besides the sloppy writing involving the sleeper cell meeting throwdown. Aliens got ships over every city, super technology, a master plan years in the making to destroy earth or some shit, and they expect me to believe that they couldn't eliminate a small group of people without getting Vs killed and potentially ruining everything with their secrets revealed? Should have had the black V counter their technology or something the Vs couldn't expect. killing unsuspecting humans should be a cakewalk

I'll let this slide and keep watching, but I am thinking this series is gonna have tons of weak moments like that

EDIT: Reading more comments I have to agree the biggest plothole so far is the resistance V. Even if he didn't want to reveal himself, some anonymous footage, pics, or hell..real dead V bodies would destroy the entire V plan in one minute :lol. God, I already watch heroes and suffer through all the "audience has to be an idiot to believe" storylines. Not sure I can handle another

Javaman

I don't think the problem is that the plot is going too fast. After all, by the end of the first hour in the original everyone had already learned that the aliens weren't human. It just that it's jumping over important things. They could have paced it much better and still revealed as much as they did. Kind of silly that they are taking a break after 4 episodes. I guess that unintentionally keeps with the tradition of the original mini and final battle series.

Future said:
Even if he didn't want to reveal himself, some anonymous footage, pics, or hell..real dead V bodies would destroy the entire V plan in one minute :lol.

I feel very confident that pictures or footage of the lizards will be released online and someone, probably Elizabeth Mitchell's son, will say "that's faker than the alien autopsy video."

This definitely is a huge potential problem though-we'll have to see this week how Erica handles her new information, and in the future both what the resistance plan is and how the worldwide reptilian conspiracy will keep a lid on it. If as the resistance leader said Vs already control the world, bringing a lizard body to the attention of the authorities may not be very effective, so it's definitely possible that the series could handle this issue reasonably.

Almost on, and for once I can watch it with the rest of GAF since I'm in Texas on a business trip. Not sure how you people put up with central prime time hours though. Too bad I won't be able to finish it since we'll be going out to dinner halfway through. On in five minutes!

SpeedingUptoStop

What exactly is propelling that ball anyways? Anti-gravity? There must be some sort of explanations as to why it's being out run by humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom