• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All Official Thread

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
klee123 said:
Out of the new tracks in the game, my personal favourite is when you first start the trial. It sounds a lot better than the one in the first game.

My favorite normal court tune is called "Inform the Truth". It's the one with a beat to it. Case 4 also has a bunch of unique ones that rock.

firex said:
I like the new music. And I replayed the first one literally the weekend before this came out, and didn't beat case 5 until the same day I got this game. I'd definitely say Case 5 on the DS has more typos so far. I also feel like the new music is really good. I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get to hear the new investigation - cornered music much for the first trial, but I think the court music in general is a lot better. Also, I actually lost at one point in the first case!

This is actually a ways off, but if GS4 comes out here, I hope some of the characters from case 5 are mentioned in it, along with Edgeworth. I really think it's great how the first PW game makes you go from hating Edgeworth in the early cases to really liking him and even pulling for him a bit in the end, at least if you stop where the original PW game stops. In fact, that's my only worry, that I won't like find von Karma's daughter as interesting of a character as Edgeworth.

I was also wondering if we'd see any returning characters from Case 5 of the DS version but considering a lot of people in Japan likely haven't played that version, I don't know if Capcom would want to leave those people in the dark. Otherwise Case 5 does do a little for the general series continuity
in that it explains the reasoning behind Edgeworth using forged evidence and how he became so hated as a prosecutor
. Otherwise Franziska von Karma has been a pretty interesting character so far. At first I was skeptical about GS4 using a completely new attorney but Case 5 of Part 1 showed that the writers of these games really know how to develop interesting and likable characters, even if they are completely fresh.

Ugh, I'm really stuck on Case 2 but I'm stubborn and don't want to look at a guide.
How am I supposed to prove that Pearl broke the urn?

ninj4junpei said:
Ugh, I'm really stuck on Case 2 but I'm stubborn and don't want to look at a guide.
How am I supposed to prove that Pearl broke the urn?

I got stuck there too but this is the only way I was able to prove it:
Present the Ami Fey (the original Kurain technique person) profile. The urn has I AM written on it showing that someone glued it back together, although not properly.
I only got it through guess and check really.

AniHawk

There's a line where someone tells Phoenix he's not a good thinker... and then Phoenix thinks something along the lines of, "I am a good thunker" ...and I can't tell if it was intentional or not due to other grammar and spelling errors before that.

BorkBork

AniHawk said:
There's a line where someone tells Phoenix he's not a good thinker... and then Phoenix thinks something along the lines of, "I am a good thunker" ...and I can't tell if it was intentional or not due to other grammar and spelling errors before that.

I think that was intentional. Either way it's funny.

Hunahan

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
Thinking about, was there a plot hole in Case 1?
What exactly did Maggey see during the murder? Wouldn't she have seen Richard push Dustin?

Heh. Well the one that got me there is:
this guy died from a broken neck, right? And we're operating under the assumption that he then wrote the name of the murderer with his finger...after he broke his neck? Can I get a medical expert to testify on behalf of the defense about the possibility of this scenario please?
:lol

I kept trying to find a way to point out that discrepency, thinking it was the "crack" in the testimony, but apparently everyone in the courtroom was totally cool with this sequence, eh. Oh well.

Anyways, I'm really liking it so far, but yeah, you guys aren't kidding about the spelling errors and such. It's kind of distracting, because it really does feel kind of like a slap in the face after so many people went to such great lengths to help promote this series to the rest of the world. They thank "word of mouth" for making the first game a success, then reward us with a pretty sloppy port that can't even be properly spell checked before printing? Hmmmmm. That's pretty weak.

Either way, I really enjoyed the first three cases and am looking forward to the fourth. Sloppy port or not, it's still such a unique and enjoyable game series that it's tough to really get overly critical about it.

Makes me wish we could get some digital distribution "case of the month" type of thing for a game like this, though. It's rough finishing up and then waiting for another game.

firex

wow, I just beat case 2 and it seems like the more intense the case gets, the more typos and misspellings crop up. But I thought case 2 was pretty epic. There are a few things that, if I thought about them more, I would've probably figured out more easily. But that big cliffhanger near the end of the first day in the trial where you get 2 options and have to prove either one can be really dangerous.

So far, I don't mind the life meter system, but it would be better if it got restored at the end of a trial day like your !s in the original. It just makes it so that when I get to a point where I have to present decisive evidence and I'm unsure, I just save and keep resetting so I don't damage the life meter too much.

EphemeralDream said:
I got stuck there too but this is the only way I was able to prove it:
Present the Ami Fey (the original Kurain technique person) profile. The urn has I AM written on it showing that someone glued it back together, although not properly.
I only got it through guess and check really.
Luckily I managed to figure out on my own, but it took me like an hour. :lol I recently just finished case 2. So much awesome.
We seriously need a gif of Karma whipping Phoenix unconscious.

Firestorm

Did anyone else laugh when in case 2
Mia said "Believe."
? Or in case 2 Phoenix said
Excuuuuse me, Princess.
But yeah, I think the first spoiler quote there was just probably me >_>

BorkBork

Firestorm said:
Mia said "Believe."
Excuuuuse me, Princess.

There are seriously a shitload of pop culture references scattered throughout the game. I won't spoil it now, but it's all on a wikipedia page for the game. :D

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm still working on the first game. How long do Cases 4 and 5 take? I want to get to PW2 already.

Beezy

Bog said:
I'm still working on the first game. How long do Cases 4 and 5 take? I want to get to PW2 already.

Case 4 is much longer than Case 3. Case 5 is almost like another damn game itself. :lol

Beezy

Firestorm said:
Mia said "Believe."
Excuuuuse me, Princess.

I laughed at the 2nd quote. Also, at the beginning of Case 3 someone said
You will say 'wow'!

This game is great so far. I wasn't expecting Case 2 to end the way that it did at all. PW is a bit of a pedo in this game though. Pay attention to certain things that he says about
Pearl Fey and especially Regina Berry.

dream

There are seriously a shitload of pop culture references scattered throughout the game. I won't spoil it now, but it's all on a wikipedia page for the game.

Link, please?

tetsuoxb

AniHawk said:

I'm pretty sure that is not a typo.

painey

A Link to the Snitch said:

anioldbagzap3ni.gif

YES!

tetsuoxb said:
Why is that funny? Making a resource less resourceful isn't always a good thing.

Because it was a long list of trivia. Wikipedia doesn't cover EVERYTHING about a game; for instance, in the PWAA article, it doesn't tell you how to beat each episode.

ethelred

So, I'm on Case 3 right now.

You know... hmm. I haven't been keeping up with this thread at all... but I went into the game with much lowered expectations. The common theme I'd been hearing all along is that it's not nearly as good as Phoenix Wright 1; the reviews mostly seemed to confirm that.

But now that I'm playing the game (and quite thoroughly, I might add)... I don't know, I'm just not seeing that at all. I know there isn't a fifth case in this game (which I greatly enjoyed in PW1), but even still. Is it the lowered expectations I had? Or is it that I've been tuning out GAF entirely on the game while playing it?

Regardless, I'm finding it more enjoyable than the first game. The first case in Phoenix Wright 2 is better than that in PW1. The second case was fantastic -- long, twisted, and clever (one of the best of all the seven cases I've beaten so far between the two games). I'm also enjoying case 3 so far.

ethelred said:
So, I'm on Case 3 right now.

You know... hmm. I haven't been keeping up with this thread at all... but I went into the game with much lowered expectations. The common theme I'd been hearing all along is that it's not nearly as good as Phoenix Wright 1; the reviews mostly seemed to confirm that.

But now that I'm playing the game (and quite thoroughly, I might add)... I don't know, I'm just not seeing that at all. I know there isn't a fifth case in this game (which I greatly enjoyed in PW1), but even still. Is it the lowered expectations I had? Or is it that I've been tuning out GAF entirely on the game while playing it?

Regardless, I'm finding it more enjoyable than the first game. The first case in Phoenix Wright 2 is better than that in PW1. The second case was fantastic -- long, twisted, and clever (one of the best of all the seven cases I've beaten so far between the two games). I'm also enjoying case 3 so far.

Well, if I had to rank them...

Episode 4 (JfA) > Episode 4 (PWAA) > Episode 2 (PWAA) > Episode 1 (GS3) > Episode 2 (JfA) > Episode 3 (PWAA) > Episode 3 (JfA) > Episode 5 (PWAA) > Episode 1 (JfA) > Episode 1 (PWAA)

ethelred

A Link to the Snitch said:
Well, if I had to rank them...

Episode 4 (JfA) > Episode 4 (PWAA) > Episode 2 (PWAA) > Episode 1 (GS3) > Episode 2 (JfA) > Episode 3 (PWAA) > Episode 3 (JfA) > Episode 5 (PWAA) > Episode 1 (JfA) > Episode 1 (PWAA)

Ah. Well, putting Case 5 of PW1 at the bottom makes your opinion null and void from the outset.

ethelred said:
Ah. Well, putting Case 5 of PW1 at the bottom makes your opinion null and void from the outset.

Episode 5 of PWAA was dull until the second investigation, and even then, it only got really good in the second half of the game.

Plus, I never said "Episode 5 barely beat the Episode 1s", I said it was inferior to the Episode 3s, which were exceptional and fun.

ethelred said:
Anyway, I'm going back to tuning out GAF completely on this.

All I'm saying is that I can't see how you can think it's better than most of the episodes if you take all of the episode into account; I can't stand how long it takes for the episode to get going.

Beezy

Quote from Case 3:
"In West Clownedelphia born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my clown..."

That completely caught me offguard. :lol

BorkBork

Beezy said:
Quote from Case 3:
"In West Clownedelphia born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my clown..."

That completely caught me offguard. :lol

I completely missed that reference the first time around. :lol was quite brilliant.

Well, I just finished Case 3. I really liked it until toward the end, it just felt so convoluted and a chore to play through. Really looking forward to the 4th case
Holy crap, Edgeworth!!

firex

I'm near the end of case 3, and there are a couple times where testimony's been really stupid to contradict. Like with
having to use the poster to contradict Moe.
It felt really dumb, like it was "ok, you got this item earlier, now here's the point where you have to use it."

Still, I think it's been a little bit better than the first one so far, at least to me. But then again what really hooked me in the first one was the huge plot twists/revelations in case 4 and 5. Those made the game go from good to awesome.

firex said:
I'm near the end of case 3, and there are a couple times where testimony's been really stupid to contradict. Like with
having to use the poster to contradict Moe.
It felt really dumb, like it was "ok, you got this item earlier, now here's the point where you have to use it."
I didn't have a problem with that one, it was some of the later ones.

Edit: Did anyone else get the
YTMND
reference?
You're the man now, doll.

Beezy said:
Lol, well you don't have to play case 5 if you don't want to. It doesn't have anything to do with the other 4 cases.
Though it probably does have something to do with GS4. It's the new canon ending to the first game.

For the first time ever, I finally found a Phoenix Wright game at retail (Justice for All), and I bought it without hesitation.

I'm really enjoying it so far... but yes, I've noticed some grammar and spelling mistakes that are a bit disappointing.

Also, when re-starting a trial, I don't like that I am unable to skip dialog sequences.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
EphemeralDream said:
I was also wondering if we'd see any returning characters from Case 5 of the DS version but considering a lot of people in Japan likely haven't played that version, I don't know if Capcom would want to leave those people in the dark. Otherwise Case 5 does do a little for the general series continuity
in that it explains the reasoning behind Edgeworth using forged evidence and how he became so hated as a prosecutor
Well, if you look at Phoenix in some of the GS4 screenshots
he's wearing Emma's button on his cap

ninj4junpei said:
Best name ever
Dustin Prince.
Wow. I'm half way through case 4 and I just now got that. I=dumb.

And Did anyone notice on case 3
Maya wants to give Phoenix a stage name, and she says Naruhodo A Wrighto? That made me lol

I found case 3 annoying because of all the running around the circus. Same problem as with case 3 of PW1, actually.

And the rest of you guys: Wait till case 4.

Top Bottom