• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This. If it is something Olly would be up for I say have him pick a title or from a group of titles that he feels is ripe for a print to be made.

yeah, I'd love to know whatever project Olly has wanted to work on but hasn't had time or reason to yet, or even if he has some initial ideas or era he'd like us to pick from or throw ideas out from.

a more cult game (ala ski free) would be cool with me too vs. big franchise too, if that'd desired.

Trasher

yeah, I'd love to know whatever project Olly has wanted to work on but hasn't had time or reason to yet, or even if he has some initial ideas or era he'd like us to pick from or throw ideas out from.

a more cult game (ala ski free) would be cool with me too vs. big franchise too, if that'd desired.

Agreed. I'm going through old school Nintendo games right now seeing if anything pops out at me.

yeah, I'd love to know whatever project Olly has wanted to work on but hasn't had time or reason to yet, or even if he has some initial ideas or era he'd like us to pick from or throw ideas out.

Very, very much this.

EDIT: Re-iterating obvious Metal Gear sentiments. Bioshock. Red Dead Redemption. Animal Crossing. Mirror's Edge.

I_Am_CC

So the Post Office has a horrible habit of dropping off my prints right next to my garage, leaning against the house barely behind this bush...

TTbwEfG.jpg

Why they can't just walk a extra 25ish feet and put it on the porch is beyond me. I live in a good neighborhood but its still rather nerve racking. Well they left this there today:

Y54POA5.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Very, very much this.

EDIT: Re-iterating obvious Metal Gear sentiments. Bioshock. Red Dead Redemption. Animal Crossing. Mirror's Edge.

Some off-the-top thoughts if the idea is to stay away from big / current franchises:

Pilotwings, Duck Hunt, Rush 'N Attack, Kung Fu, Bomberman, Marble Madness, Jackal, Startropics.

I'd be cool with either direction, but before we throw too much more out there, let's see what Mr. Moss has to say.

Meier

I'd be interested depending on the final price for a commissioned video game print. Honeymoon is in 12 days so I haven't been buying anything lately.. skipped the Ansin Man of Steel which was not easy to do frankly. I was actually going to mention how much I loved Olly's Fox McCloud and friends doodle he posted on Instagram earlier so nice timing for him to pop in. Great work. :) For those that haven't seen it yet...

6d578b24d77011e28aa422000a1fbcf5_7.jpg

Sushigod7

I'd be interested depending on the final price for a commissioned video game print. Honeymoon is in 12 days so I haven't been buying anything lately.. skipped the Ansin Man of Steel which was not easy to do frankly. I was actually going to mention how much I loved Olly's Fox McCloud and friends doodle he posted on Instagram earlier so nice timing for him to pop in. Great work. :) For those that haven't seen it yet...

6d578b24d77011e28aa422000a1fbcf5_7.jpg

Yes to something like that or his Ico he did recently.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
If Olly's interested, screw games, let's do Game of Thrones! (Back me up Trasher!)

I'll probably be in the minority, but anything from the classic LucasArts adventure games would be absolutely fantastic.

Or, in light of his appearance on Idle Thumbs, Far Cry 2. We'd probably would get a ton of listeners who want in.

Metal Gear Solid. Red Dead Redemption. Mirror's Edge. All great.

Okami could be wonderful too.

I'd say Deadly Premonition and Demon's Souls but these are probably probably less consensual :)

Sushigod7

Metal Gear Solid. Red Dead Redemption. Mirror's Edge. All great.

Okami could be wonderful too.

I'd say Deadly Premonition and Demon's Souls but these are probably probably less consensual :)

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is at the top of my list but #1 is probably Metal Gear. Maybe like a cast of characters not all of them but the staples of the series.

Man, that Fox one is so damn good.

I'd vote against MGS, fwiw. Nintendo stuff seems like it'd be most universal, if we're talking games - but at the same time, it's probably also the most overdone.

Might be interesting to just say the theme is "GAF" too. Dunno! I'll likely be in whatever it is.

Edit: wow, that Ico one on his twitter too.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
More of this snake please

[IG]http://i.minus.com/iomTresla0Epa.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.minus.com/iPFVA2QzXLOY9.jpg[/IMG]

Bleh. He's trying to get a set like that going already. If we ended up being able to commission Olly to do something, I wouldn't want it it to look like something he's trying to do anyway.

Hey guys, I'm new in here so I don't really understand how this works. How do you get a hold of one of the Game & Print Club Prints? I'm loving this Hotel Dusk one.

Hi! It will be for sale here on the 27th at midnight: http://gameandprintclub.bigcartel.com/

Also there's a facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/gameandprint and a newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/uRZJf

Thanks for the interest!

Re: commissions. What would you want?

O_O!!!!

Um, wow. Let's get a poll going here I guess.

I vote for one of these:

999_Cover_Art.jpg
Phoenix_Wright_-_Ace_Attorney_Coverart.png

I'm not in charge or anything, but can we agree to keep it limited to videogames since this is NeoGaf after all?

I'm probably showing my ignorance here but does that price include printing or is this just his fee to do the illustration?

That's most like not including the printing fee. I think you can add in another 1500 for the screenprinting fee. Realistically, we can probably get more NeoGaffers on board and maybe Evilore's blessings.

Sushigod7

Wow it's going to be difficult to get everyone on the same page I like those ideas as well but depends on artist interpretation. I assume we need around 100 ppl + to get Mr Moss to do something? Maybe Moss can think it over and send one of us a PM on the matter if interested.

Wow it's going to be difficult to get everyone on the same page I like those ideas as well but depends on artist interpretation. I assume we need around 100 ppl + to get Mr Moss to do something? Maybe Moss can think it over and send one of us a PM on the matter if interested.

Since you started it, why don't you choose five ideas to present and we can all vote. Whichever one has the highest votes among those five we will go with. From there we can start taking names.

How does this sound to everyone?

Trasher

Since you started it, why don't you choose five ideas to present and we can all vote. Whichever one has the highest votes among those five we will go with. From there we can start taking names.

I was thinking suggest a top five and at least get the artist's thoughts on them first before we completely settle on anything.

As far as making that top five list (or however many you guys want to do to narrow it down) should we just have everyone post in here their top two or three ideas?

Sushigod7

I was thinking suggest a top five and at least get the artist's thoughts on them first before we completely settle on anything.

As far as making that top five list (or however many you guys want to do to narrow it down) should we just have everyone post in here their top two or three ideas?

Sounds good on both counts. I sent EviLore a PM to make sure he is cool with this, so top 5 ideas for me are in no particular order except for Metal Gear I really want to see that done.

1. Metal Gear
2. Demon's Souls/Dark Souls
3. Metroid
4. Final Fantasy
5. Western Theme (Gunsmoke NES, Red Dead Redemption/Revolver)

omgkitty

As it's fairly easy to see, and the fact that Olly has admitted it several times, he does work on things he's interested in and has ideas for. In that case, I think it's best if he gives us a couple of things he wants to do and then lets us pick. Of course, he's shown interest in MGS before and it seems like that would probably win, and for good reasons. Don't think we could get a better artist for that series unless Ashley Wood decided to step up (haha yeah right). Of course, Olly could just be fucking with us and may not have time to do something like this. Or we could wait years for it. But yeah, I'm up for anything :p

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
1) Metal Gear
2) FEZ
3) Grim Fandango
4) Mega Man
5) Red Dead

Metal Gear is my go-to regardless of the artist. However, if we were to end up with Ortiz, I'd probably swap some of these out for horror titles like Dead Space or Silent Hill.

I'd be cool with either direction, but before we throw too much more out there, let's see what Mr. Moss has to say.

As it's fairly easy to see, and the fact that Olly has admitted it several times, he does work on things he's interested in and has ideas for. In that case, I think it's best if he gives us a couple of things he wants to do and then lets us pick. :p

All of this. I say we let Olly mull it over and collectively not make any sudden movements. Not only will we get better results because it will be something he might be interested in / passionate about, but this route will also prevent any hard feelings over the available options.

Sushigod7

I don't think throwing out ideas is going to scare Olly away, maybe he will see something he hadn't thought of drawing before. If he is to busy no problem I think we all understand. But him being on board would be awesome.

^^^^^^
yeah he is lol such great stuff

Sounds good on both counts. I sent EviLore a PM to make sure he is cool with this, so top 5 ideas for me are in no particular order except for Metal Gear I really want to see that done.

1. Metal Gear
2. Demon's Souls/Dark Souls
3. Metroid
4. Final Fantasy
5. Western Theme (Gunsmoke NES, Red Dead Redemption/Revolver)

I'm Down With Any Of These.

Hey guys!

I have been looking into getting some prints/posters for a while now, but what always kills me is the extortion that is the price of getting them framed. Any advice/tips on finding reasonably priced frames for standard sized prints/posters?

I would like to invest in some art, but the prices of frames I have seen online always scare me away.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Hey guys!

I have been looking into getting some prints/posters for a while now, but what always kills me is the extortion that is the price of getting them framed. Any advice/tips on finding reasonably priced frames for standard sized prints/posters?

Where are you trying to get them framed at? If you want to do it yourself, you can either grab some on Amazon, or AmericanFrame.com. AmericanFrame is more expensive, but they let you customize your frame and mail you all the components. Amazon is a bit cheaper but you'll likely be out of luck if you're looking for sizes out of the ordinary.

Where are you trying to get them framed at? If you want to do it yourself, you can either grab some on Amazon, or AmericanFrame.com. AmericanFrame is more expensive, but they let you customize your frame and mail you all the components. Amazon is a bit cheaper but you'll likely be out of luck if you're looking for sizes out of the ordinary.

I am looking for standard sizes mostly? I checked Amazon, but their prices seemed high.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong ones.

For example. The cheapest 27x40 poster frames I can find on amazon run in the $30 + range. AmericanFrame is better at about $16.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Here's a 24x36 frame, with glass included for $17. If you search for "arttoframes" you can find a lot of other smaller sized frames. They aren't top quality, but they more than get the job done.

...wait, you're finding 27x40 frames on AmericanFrame for $16? That's really cheap for the stuff they sell.

Here's a 24x36 frame, with glass included for $17. If you search for "arttoframes" you can find a lot of other smaller sized frames. They aren't top quality, but they more than get the job done.

...wait, you're finding 27x40 frames on AmericanFrame for $16? That's really cheap for the stuff they sell.

http://www.frameusa.com/poster-frames

It is just the cheap corrigated poster frames. 10$ shipping though.

I am considering just buying materials and making my own frames since my father probably has all the tools I would need.

Edit: Looks like I can get up to 5 for 10$ total shipping.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
http://www.frameusa.com/poster-frames

It is just the cheap corrigated poster frames. 10$ shipping though.

I am considering just buying materials and making my own frames since my father probably has all the tools I would need.

Oh, no. That's not the AmericanFrame I was talking about. I've never heard of / seen that site before, so I can't attest to their quality.

Making your own frames could turn out pretty neat though.

Do you recommend glass? Or is fiberglass/plastic acceptable?

That is the only part I would be worried about doing myself.

I assume I would want an acid free paper backing?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Do you recommend glass? Or is fiberglass/plastic acceptable?

That is the only part I would be worries about doing myself.

I assume I would want an acid free paper backing?

I tend to stick with plexi just because it isn't too expensive and ends up looking pretty good. I've never used fiberglass/plastic, so I don't know how well they work. And yeah. you want an acid free backing.

Sushigod7

Hey guys!

I would like to invest in some art, but the prices of frames I have seen online always scare me away.

If you are just buying reproductions (movie posters etc) then the cheap cardboard backed frames are fine but if you get screen prints make sure you get acid free backing behind them don't skimp on framing. Once you spend 60+ on a piece you want to take care of it, if you spend 200+ you want to guard it and preserve it. Some people here have spent 1000+ those you lock up and spend shit loads framing to keep them preserved for your Grandchildren. Just plan accordingly and enjoy!

Yeah, not looking at anything too high end right now. Just would like to dabble.

Mostly mass produced posters, but I have several screen prints in mind as well.

Sushigod7

Yeah, not looking at anything too high end right now. Just would like to dabble.

Mostly mass produced posters, but I have several screen prints in mind as well.

That's cool what I have done on a few screen prints is buy frames that you can change out the backing on a lot of mine have those little tabs that are attached to the frame if you know what I mean. That way I could put acid free backing behind on my own, a large sheet of it is only 8 dollars. You can save a little that way too.

That's cool what I have done on a few screen prints is buy frames that you can change out the backing on a lot of mine have those little tabs that are attached to the frame if you know what I mean. That way I could put acid free backing behind on my own, a large sheet of it is only 8 dollars. You can save a little that way too.

Where do you buy the sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom