• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaskade

Currently the plan is to get to 75 for NeoGaf, while the artist gets 25 prints as part of the deal. So the run would be 100. If we get to 75, the cost should be less than $35 per print. Should because I don't know the exact cost of printing yet. It depends on how many colors the screen print is and what kind of paper is used. Will there be metallics or glow in the dark, etc.

Right now we're at 39 people that are in for-sure.

Once we hit the 75 number I will ask for $20 down-payment from everyone so the artwork process can begin. Then once the artwork is done I will ask for the rest to get started on the printing.

Does that sound good to everyone?

If we don't hit 75 but say we can hit 50, the cost per person would be $50 or less I believe.

What do you guys think?
Sounds awesome. Thanks for putting this together.

Trasher

Currently the plan is to get to 75 for NeoGaf, while the artist gets 25 prints as part of the deal. So the run would be 100. If we get to 75, the cost should be less than $35 per print. Should because I don't know the exact cost of printing yet. It depends on how many colors the screen print is and what kind of paper is used. Will there be metallics or glow in the dark, etc.

Once we hit the 75 number I will ask for $20 down-payment from everyone so the artwork process can begin. Then once the artwork is done I will ask for the rest to get started on the printing.

If we don't hit 75 but say we can hit 50, the cost per person would be $50 or less I believe.

What do you guys think?
I've never played the games, but you can put me on the list. I'll always support these. If it fills up though and there's someone who's actually a fan of the games, then you can give my spot to them.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me. Thanks for arranging all this.

Just an update.

If possible, I'd like to collect the down-payment around the time of the month's end and deliver it to the artist on July 31, 2013.

Now, if the number of people in for a print is 50, the down-payment required would be $30 per print/person.

If the number of people in for a print is 75, the down-payment required would be $20 per person/print.

Any numbers between those would vary accordingly.

The edition size will be between 75 - 100, depending on the number of people.

Naturally, the total cost per person will be lower with more people.

Currently we have 43 people on the committed list.
-------------

Now after the down-payment is made, how long will the artwork take, you're probably wondering. Well, currently the artist is pretty swamped with work,and in the next few months he might be flying over to Berlin to work on a big project among other things, so it will likely be months until the artwork will be complete as most like he'll be working on it on and off, I assume.

Additionally, once the artwork is done, screen printing will take approximately 3 weeks.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Since I just saw the mini-mass response to my comment, I'll say this:

I won't backpedal. The awful thought has crossed my mind. I'm a pragmatic person, and if I need the money for something that's more important than just a hobby, you better believe I'll try to maximize my return. But the reality is that for all the times I've mentioned here about selling any of prints, I never have. I don't buy things I don't like, and as such, even when I want something else even more, or I actually need the money for life things, I'm hard pressed to let any of it go.

All I've done, for better or worse, is continue to grow my collection, despite my better judgment that I'm way past the point of never having enough wall space to display it all.

All that being said, I'm getting that Totoro baby! Holy grail is finally comin'! :D

And of course Mockingbird, I'm in for the MGS print.

Oh awesome, I really dig Ash's work.

If it's possible to have the print shipped to Canada, please count me in as well!

I can!

I think USPS added tracking for first class international packages, so I might be able to ship via that method for $10 + the cost of the tube. But there is no insurance, so there is that risk if the package should get lost.

Fletcher

Oh, man. This is awesome. Really impressed with Thorp's work in his blog. Please put me down.

What if we were willing to give the full payment upfront instead of a down payment? Would that help in any way? I would actually prefer to just pay all at once.

I'm down for any and all future neogaf commissioned pieces in the future, too. I hope we can make this a somewhat regular thing.

keiichi

Awesome, just let us know when/how much to Paypal you for :)

Thanks for putting this all together. This is the first print you've organized that I've been eligible for.

Great! We're at 51 people. at 51 people the down-payment per person is $29.41. =)

What if we were willing to give the full payment upfront instead of a down payment? Would that help in any way? I would actually prefer to just pay all at once..

Thanks but unfortunately the money would just sit in my PayPal account. The down-payment portion is going all to the artist. The other portion would be the printing + shipping cost. Because we don't know how many colors the print will be or whether it will use metallics or GID inks, we don't know what the cost of printing will be. Plus, the printer doesn't need to be paid in advance. It wouldn't be until the work is done that we'll know the exact cost of printing -- which would be when I would need to collect the rest of the money from you guys.

Fletcher

Great! We're at 51 people. at 51 people the down-payment per person is $29.41. =)

Thanks but unfortunately the money would just sit in my PayPal account. The down-payment portion is going all to the artist. The other portion would be the printing + shipping cost. Because we don't know how many colors the print will be or whether it will use metallics or GID inks, we don't know what the cost of printing will be. Plus, the printer doesn't need to be paid in advance. It wouldn't be until the work is done that we'll know the exact cost of printing -- which would be when I would need to collect the rest of the money from you guys.

Sounds good! Thanks for getting this together. I'm pretty stoked about this.

Sigma722

Metallics, pls.

kaskade

I'm getting excited for this. Its going to be cool having a GAF exclusive poster. Especially for one of my favorite series.

Trasher

Yes I vote for this too. Wondering if we should ask for a little GAF circle logo in the bottom corner near the artists signature?

Did you get permission from Evilore for that?

And if we do that, I think the logo should be black/white or grey/white so it doesn't stand out too much with the orange. And it should be very small.

Sushigod7

Did you get permission from Evilore for that?

And if we do that, I think the logo should be black/white or grey/white so it doesn't stand out too much with the orange. And it should be very small.

No he never replied, lets forget the logo it's not really necessary and the more I think of it, it makes not sense to have it really. Was thinking out loud.

Just heard back from the printers, who gave an estimate of the cost of printing: $900 to print 100 copies.

IF we have 75 people then $900/75 = $12/person + shipping cost (going to overestimate the price here) assuming it's $15 with insurance and packing materials.

So total per person is $20 (for the art) + $12 for the printing + $15 for the shipping = $47 -- keep in mind this is an overestimate for the shipping and it naturally varies by location. If you live in LA and can pick it up then shipping is free, naturally.

The printing quote is assuming it's a 6 color screenprint on 100# bright white or natural cover stock. If we want metallics, it will cost a bit more -- but not much more.

---------

If you guys want, I can shop around with the printing company, but the thing about these guys is I know they are good and they're local as well. With that said, I think the pricing is perhaps close to $150 higher than others maybe? Not sure. Maybe I can negotiate.

Sushigod7

I think that is a fair price for screen printing and good printer to boot who does good work. Sounds good to me no need to shop it more.

Fletcher

Just heard back from the printers, who gave an estimate of the cost of printing: $900 to print 100 copies.

IF we have 75 people then $900/75 = $12/person + shipping cost (going to overestimate the price here) assuming it's $15 with insurance and packing materials.

So total per person is $20 (for the art) + $12 for the printing + $15 for the shipping = $47 -- keep in mind this is an overestimate for the shipping and it naturally varies by location. If you live in LA and can pick it up then shipping is free, naturally.

The printing quote is assuming it's a 6 color screenprint on 100# bright white or natural cover stock. If we want metallics, it will cost a bit more -- but not much more.

---------

If you guys want, I can shop around with the printing company, but the thing about these guys is I know they are good and they're local as well. With that said, I think the pricing is perhaps close to $150 higher than others maybe? Not sure. Maybe I can negotiate.

This sounds like a fair deal. I would probably prefer to have a trusted/quality job done, than look to save a buck or two.

b3b0p

---------

Which print is this for?

Sushigod7

Which print is this for?

This one a few pages back, we have been looking for a artist for a while.

NeoGAF Ash Thorp Commission for Metal Gear Solid is a GO!

20130622213313NeoGAF_logo_zps0a204778.png

I need a list of people who are IN

Assuming the price per print is $50, do you plan to purchase a NeoGAF commissioned Metal Gear Solid print by Ash Thorp? It will be an 18"x24" screenprint.

Please don't list your name unless you commit to purchasing. I need a solid list of people to determine price. The more people, the cheaper the price. Does not include shipping costs.

List of people in:

1. Mockingbird
2. jstevenson
3. omgkitty
4. vitaminwateryum
5. iamalegionnaire
6. DrAndonuts
7. Meier
8. Sushigod7
9. Bii
10. Sigma722
11. Hypertrooper
12. Kerrinck
13. Agent Dormer
14. Clipjoint
15. CorporateClown
16. Vyrance
17. Greyvvolf
18. Ramirez
19. newjeruse
20. keiichi
21. Egnirys
22. therealminime
23. Technosteve
24. Kalren
25. I should be doing hw
26. Salamando
27. lupinko
28. ()_listerfeend_()
29. Auron_Kale
30. Scyn
31. Deadly Cyclone
32. Deadly Cyclone's +1
33. Crazypanda_85
34. rinemy
35. rinemy's +1
37. kaskade
38. rikichi
39. kaizoku
40. Mockingbird's +1
41. deadbolt1388
42. Riptwo
43. Trasher
44. Zozobra
45. BreakyBoy
46. LaneDS
47. Dreweyes
48. Fletcher
49. fallengorn
50. tanuki
51. Slacky
52. tm24
53. BaronLundi
--------------------------

Who is Ash Thorp?

http://ashthorp.com/
http://ashthorp.tumblr.com/

http://ashthorp.com/IRON-MAN-III-1

tumblr_mk0exuHceM1qetwo2o1_1280.png

tumblr_mpqdq0D5rr1qetwo2o1_1280.png

tumblr_mjuw5s0IUI1qetwo2o4_500.png

tumblr_mikltlf4UD1qetwo2o5_500.jpg

airblade

Banned
I don't usually post here, and lately i've been buying some prints for my future game room... Having said that all I can say is that im in for this.

I hope we get enough people for this

And I'm still in !

(Will need shipping to France if that matters)

Shipping to France is the following:

USPS Priority $35 + $2.45 insurance + cost of shipping supplies OR USPS First Class $16 + Registered Mail $12.96 + cost of shipping supplies OR USPS First Class $16 + cost of shipping supplies.

I don't usually post here, and lately i've been buying some prints for my future game room... Having said that all I can say is that im in for this.

I hope we get enough people for this

Sweet! We already have enough people. Now it's just getting more people to lower the total cost per person. At this point, with 58 people, the Downpayment per person is $25.87 and the estimated printing cost per person is $15.52 (should be an overestimate since this is for 100 copies).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom