• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushigod7

Mondo drops are always a ball buster have been F5'ing for and hour and a half. I never understand how that many prints sell out within seconds. I'll give the AP's a shot when Olly sells those if I miss that I'll try for second hand market. With this many out there hopefully the prices don't go crazy. (wishful thinking I know)

Zozobra

This window was way off their usual, I just happened to luck out and check the store page at the right time when I got to work. Somehow managed a Spirited Away.

lupinko

Yep.

The mondo licence was for 4 posters, which they all did with Moss. Mondo is in talks for more licences, which could expand artists and be more prints.

Edit: Also depending on how the vinyl does, supposedly will help them decide on feature specific ghibli vinyls.

I'd love a Mondo-Ghibli print release of Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart or Kiki's Delivery Service.

These four being my all-time favourites, and with the first two not really known outside of Japan and the first one not even the average Japanese person knows about either!

lupinko

Ridiculous! Website was so freakin slow. Can't believe I missed this when I literally added them to my cart the moment the tweet went up.

EDIT: How the hell do that many prints sell out in less than a minute? Seriously.

Mondo is a helluva drug.

Sushigod7

Mondo is a helluva drug.

iXKIkGXHOaaqV.gif

rinemy

Banned
sigh.. bought both for 200 each.
I'm happy though. I know they'll go down but I'm satisfied I have a Regular/Variant set.

IronRinn

sigh.. bought both for 200 each.
I'm happy though. I know they'll go down but I'm satisfied I have a Regular/Variant set.

As Meier said, that's not bad really. Poking around EB now to see if someone may be down for a trade or trade and cash deal.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Don't buy a print just yet. The prices will go down. Prices are always high on Ebay the first week or so after they drop. Wait a few weeks for them to start shipping and the prices will have gone down. These have a fairly large edition, so there's bound to be a good amount of flippers trying to get rid of them.

Do we think there's a chance Olly will sell these on his own website?

Yes, he will have AP editions for sale as always.

Meier

Just searched on my phone and I counted 56 or so including a few that came with Howl's as well. Sheesh. I imagine a handful have already sold today so they aren't showing up.

Ahh well, such is life!

Got depressed and spent $350 on eBay on Moss's Lord of the Rings print.

Wow, I didn't realize the price had gone up that much.

Do we think there's a chance Olly will sell these on his own website?

I think he had APs before.. they will probably be $90 for the regular and maybe like $150-$200 for the variant?

LaneDS

Purchased the Howl SDCC variant on eBay... still at the point of feeling a little sick for spending that much, but I'm sure that'll pass once it arrives (a little).

Kerrinck

Managed to grab a Howl's due to the stagger, Spirited Away was gone way too fast.

Seriously considering grabbing one on ebay for 200$. Not sure if the price will go any lower.

LiK

Purchased the Howl SDCC variant on eBay... still at the point of feeling a little sick for spending that much, but I'm sure that'll pass once it arrives (a little).
i think SDCC variants are fine. You're paying for their plane ticket basically. But those regulars, ugh

IronRinn

Managed to grab a Howl's due to the stagger, Spirited Away was gone way too fast.

Seriously considering grabbing one on ebay for 200$. Not sure if the price will go any lower.

Someone on EB did a pretty interesting graph charting out the average price fluctuation of prints. Usually starts out high first week. Dips pretty low a month out and then spikes 6+ months or something. In no way scientific or definitive but interesting nonetheless.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Someone on EB did a pretty interesting graph charting out the average price fluctuation of prints. Usually starts out high first week. Dips pretty low a month out and then spikes 6+ months or something. In no way scientific or definitive but interesting nonetheless.

ghiblis don't tend to completely follow that though

LaneDS

i think SDCC variants are fine. You're paying for their plane ticket basically. But those regulars, ugh

That's true and I hadn't thought of that. The price I paid ($290 after shipping) seems somewhat fair, and I really did prefer the look of the variant to the very red regular edition. Also looked at some high resolution shots and hadn't realized that old and young Sophie are hidden in the clouds which is neat. Even though I much prefer Spirited Away I found those prints a little boring compared to the other stuff Olly has done, but the Howl one left a really strong impression on me.

Any word on how many of the variants were printed?

LiK

Sushigod7

Heh, was reading the comments on Mondo's Facebook post. They're always full of vitriol from people who missed out (understandably). One person said they just use the originals as a reference and recreate them by painting them. Huh.

https://www.facebook.com/mondotees/...omment_id=27518946&offset=0&total_comments=52

I don't blame people for doing this they are amazing prints/designs and most people do not have the money to spend on a print especially that variant. I wish we would get some type of giclee option or something on some of these. I like the art I want it on my wall I don't want to spend 1k to get it. I could probably paint the Totoro I doubt I could pull of the Spirited Away as easily.

edit: I know reprinting is a horrible practice I'm talking official. I know all the downsides before I get a ton of negative comments on my post.

LaneDS

I feel like the reg is more focused on the castle while the variant makes it easier to see the faces.

Will be interested to see more photos of both.

If my variant arrives anytime soon, I'll try to take some photos to share with everyone. The ones posted a few pages back are a big reason I picked it up.

rinemy

Banned
Will be interested to see more photos of both.

If my variant arrives anytime soon, I'll try to take some photos to share with everyone. The ones posted a few pages back are a big reason I picked it up.

Lol sorry about the poor quality iphone pics! I'll take it out for some real pictures today or tomorrow!

rinemy

Banned
and wow the price for Howl and Spirited is already going down.
$150 for a howl and about $180 for Spirited Away.

Looks like the edition size is finally hitting in.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
and wow the price for Howl and Spirited is already going down.
$150 for a howl and about $180 for Spirited Away.

Looks like the edition size is finally hitting in.

I think having TWO Ghiblis at once is also causing folks to have to divide and conquer. Not many are gonna throw down 500-600 for both. I was curious, and the Howl's hitting below 150 are the first time that's happened for a Moss Ghibli print outside of a very early 129.99 Totoro sale according to the EB database.

Reality is though, 350 to acquire both of these bad boys is totally worth it

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I was able to snag Howl's this morning. I'm thinking of using it as trade bait (+ cash) to get a variant. I was lucky enough to get a Spirited Away variant and I'd love a matching set.

LaneDS

Lol sorry about the poor quality iphone pics! I'll take it out for some real pictures today or tomorrow!

Haha nothing to apologize for! Looked great, crappy iPhone shots or not (I posted crappy iPhone shots of the Journey print pages back too).

Excited to see it in person!

Failed miserably on the drop at work, but managed to score a Howl's at cost, and a Spirited Away for a very reasonable trade.

And my Ansin Man of Steel shipped. Good day.

Sushigod7

Failed miserably on the drop at work, but managed to score a Howl's at cost, and a Spirited Away for a very reasonable trade.

And my Ansin Man of Steel shipped. Good day.

I was wondering where you were today usually you pop on and say +1. You don't miss many I have missed the last two after a successful run of about 4. Don't think I'm going to grab anything tomorrow either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom