• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyT

20130827_075755_zps6898c240.jpg

Tell me this is a bad angle and just looks like it isn't level because of that x_X /ocd

rinemy

Banned
Blingaling,
NICE WALL. Like the ACTUAL wall. That's really impressive I wish I was allowed for something like that in the house.
The artwork you got there looks awesome!

I never seen the Pacific Rim by James Fosdike before until now. I think i'll have to get one.

Just wondering where did you get the Bioshock infinite and mass effect (entire crew) prints from?

Very nice Bioshock wall!

Nice room! I have so many laying flat right now I'll have to rearrange things and get a pic or two.

NICE WALL. Like the ACTUAL wall. That's really impressive I wish I was allowed for something like that in the house.
The artwork you got there looks awesome!

Thanks!

I never seen the Pacific Rim by James Fosdike before until now. I think i'll have to get one.

Just wondering where did you get the Bioshock infinite and mass effect (entire crew) prints from?

Don't overpay for the Fosdike, flippers bought a crap-ton of Pacific Rim stuff they just can't seem to sell :) Almost all can be had for around or under cost.

The Mass Effect and Bioshock prints are both from Cook & Becker, with the dibond/liquid gloss finish.

http://www.candb.com/en/artwork/310/the-team.html

http://www.candb.com/en/artwork/496/falling-bioshock-infinite.html

If you're not familiar with the company, their stuff is top-notch. They just released a bunch of Journey and Last of Us prints too.

Sushigod7

EC_Tales-DigitalPostcardFinal.jpg

Mondo is continuing it's run of shit I don't care about.

lol yeah that's not very exciting, they haven't had a ton of must haves this year it doesn't seem like. Great stuff don't get me wrong just not like past years. Although I'm fairly new to the hobby maybe I'm wrong.

omgkitty

lol yeah that's not very exciting, they haven't had a ton of must haves this year it doesn't seem like. Great stuff don't get me wrong just not like past years. Although I'm fairly new to the hobby maybe I'm wrong.

I mean you can go and look at their output and know they've gone downhill year over year as far as quality goes. Certainly they're a little more diversified now as far as their artists and properties go but honestly I think 2010 was their best year and they've gradually gotten worse since then.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I mean you can go and look at their output and know they've gone downhill year over year as far as quality goes. Certainly they're a little more diversified now as far as their artists and properties go but honestly I think 2010 was their best year and they've gradually gotten worse since then.

meh. 2010 they had what, Star Wars, some Marvel, some Star Trek, some universal monsters, Olly's roadshow series, some Ansin.

BUt I mean like, tons of that was kind of like, ok. They had their biggest license ever and pulled out grails there. But there's plenty of 2010 stuff that no one cares about.

I think their quality has gone UP. But I think with the run sizes increasing, and the overall number of prints on the market, those 2010 grails sort of rise above everything else due to lower run sizes.

It's hard to judge 2013 or 2012 yet with the same clarity we can 2010. But I think 2013 alone has several big prints that are among their best ever like Jaws, Django, Taxi Driver, TWBB, Boogie Nights, Spirited Away, SOTD. I might even make an argument for Elysium and Tong Pacific Rim but the subject matter holds them back.

I mean, looking through 2013... is there even a bad print? I guess recently you've got some nichey stuff like Timecrimes, Island Earth, Creepshow and Spy vs Spy... but most of those prints are GOOD

Certainly, most aren't for me, and I buy a lot less than I did. But I think the art quality has been strong

Here's my wall share (at least my prints, I also have a collection of original comic art that I'll hold off on posting for now).

IrUgPF9l.jpg

Actually just got this Mononoke from a fellow gaffer, DrAndonuts.
om9ILAzl.jpg

My collection of Japanese MGS promo posters. The irregular sizing made me have to go for all custom frames on these, which was spendy, but they look awesome.
mbuhhgGl.jpg

Nice little corner of three of my favorite artists. Low numbering on the Zelda (38/250).
MKsvyDQl.jpg

One of my all time favorites. Went for a bluer dominant matte, which I dig!
unkc5HLl.jpg

Dark Tower (which I've posted before) and a cool next gen print my wife grabbed for free when we were at Comic-Con a couple years ago.

Hi guys, I am looking for these Moss videogame prints.

moss-colossus.jpg
moss-lastofus.jpg
moss-ocelot.jpg
moss-snakebox.jpg

Please let me know if you have them available for sale or maybe trade (don't really have anything besides some Mondo Avengers prints and the Moss Batman villain series). Still kicking myself for missing the order deadline for the Heroes series as I just wasted a hundred bucks on 3 prints. :/

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Had another great print arrive today I'm excited about

Oh man, believe it or not, I might be more jealous about this one than I was over your Moss Star Wars prints.

I spotted this when it was entered in the EB database and was a bit upset when I realized it was a private commission/small run.

Congrats, it looks gorgeous!

Here's my wall share (at least my prints, I also have a collection of original comic art that I'll hold off on posting for now).

IrUgPF9l.jpg

Actually just got this Mononoke from a fellow gaffer, DrAndonuts.

Oh nice! Glad to see it reframed, after all the UPS horsecrap.

Here's a few pics of my place. Hard to do at night, so apologies for weird lighting.

"Dining" room (wire on my middle poster snapped, so it's just hanging out on a chair for now):
Q2GHyoV.png

Downstairs:
i6H5d5q.png

Staircase, with my Moss heroes lining the wall:
B2ywXCD.png

...which leads up to the wall halfway up my staircase:
RIFLrvR.png

Got a few more prints scattered around, but that's a good chunk of them.

omgkitty

meh. 2010 they had what, Star Wars, some Marvel, some Star Trek, some universal monsters, Olly's roadshow series, some Ansin.

BUt I mean like, tons of that was kind of like, ok. They had their biggest license ever and pulled out grails there. But there's plenty of 2010 stuff that no one cares about.

I think their quality has gone UP. But I think with the run sizes increasing, and the overall number of prints on the market, those 2010 grails sort of rise above everything else due to lower run sizes.

It's hard to judge 2013 or 2012 yet with the same clarity we can 2010. But I think 2013 alone has several big prints that are among their best ever like Jaws, Django, Taxi Driver, TWBB, Boogie Nights, Spirited Away, SOTD. I might even make an argument for Elysium and Tong Pacific Rim but the subject matter holds them back.

I mean, looking through 2013... is there even a bad print? I guess recently you've got some nichey stuff like Timecrimes, Island Earth, Creepshow and Spy vs Spy... but most of those prints are GOOD

Certainly, most aren't for me, and I buy a lot less than I did. But I think the art quality has been strong

Sure there have been some really great prints in the last two years, I just think there are less things I'm interested in now that they are putting out. Maybe I'm just more cynical and my interest in prints had waned in these last few months.

Sigma722

It's just really easy to get into "must buy everything neat" at the beginning, which later has to become must buy stuff that kicks major ass. That type of stuff can't pop up every week like "neat" stuff does, so it slows down for some.

Rinemie

Neo Member
How much are you guys spending on your frames on average? Do you do it yourself or having some place do it for you?

For the 24x36 range,
Pre-built plastic frame with plastic plexi and cardboard back around $25
Pre-build wooden frame with plastic plexi and cardboard back around $45
Framing Store, Wooden frame, with glass and foam core back around $200

Those are my typical prices. I haven't shopped much at frame stores yet so I'm still learning myself.

For the 24x36 range,
Pre-built plastic frame with plastic plexi and cardboard back around $25
Pre-build wooden frame with plastic plexi and cardboard back around $45
Framing Store, Wooden frame, with glass and foam core back around $200

Those are my typical prices. I haven't shopped much at frame stores yet so I'm still learning myself.

This is pretty close for me as well.
Anything that gets up to 36" hits just under $200 with a single matte, then goes upward of $300 when adding a second matte (depending on the style).
I use "conservation clear" glass, which is clear and UV protected, but does not reduce glare like museum glass. Should you decide to go all the way with museum glass, plan on adding $70-100.

Sushigod7

I just broke a plexi sheet on a 24x36 yesterday was moving things around to take a picture lol. I realized I'm getting a huge backlog of framing now I need to stop buying prints for awhile and focus on framing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They look like 10 minute sketches in photoshop with the default brush set.

And it's $25 a pop?

Wot?

Sushigod7

And it's $25 a pop?

Wot?

This made me laugh, because it's true. lol I'm not caught up to this season watching so no spoilers!!! Don't ruin it for me I already know to much.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

And it's $25 a pop?

Wot?

The Walt one looks good, at least. Also, Huell gets a sketch but not Badger or Skinny Pete? Sheeeeeeeit. Those guys are ogs.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What about Combo!!

Haha. I totally forgot about his crazy-hoodie wearing ass.

In all seriousness, $25 is a lot for these bad boys. Somebody make me feel better for wanting to purchase one or two or three.

Sigma722

And it's $25 a pop?

Wot?

Exactly. I saw him tweet these, and was like "it'll be neat to see the final version".

Can't believe he is selling it like that. Seems like a really lazy cash grab.

Haly

Somebody make me feel better for wanting to purchase one or two or three.
Olly Moss gave you 3 of his amazing prints for what is effectively $15 a pop, with resale value commonly entering the $25-$40 range. You're paying 66% more for what is basically an artist doing some practice sketches in between major projects.

Haly

There's also various levels of "unfinished". I mean like, I wouldn't mind paying money for prints of:
batman-02.jpg

two-face.png

Where the "unfinished" quality actually adds to the overall aesthetic but those Breaking Bad prints are just something else.

Images from here.

Filthy Slug

Olly Moss gave you 3 of his amazing prints for what is effectively $15 a pop, with resale value commonly entering the $25-$40 range. You're paying 66% more for what is basically an artist doing some practice sketches in between major projects.

Absolutely true. I was riding the Breaking Bad high last night but decided to sleep on it and see how I felt about them in the morning. The Walt is still nice but the price vs. the actual output ain't right for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom