• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Iaccarino (That Kid Who Draws) 2014 subs are up if anyone is inclined to drop next gen console kinda money. http://www.thatkidwhodraws.com/subscriptions.html

Sounds like he is continuing the anime theme for next year.

Also it sounds like his GitS might be up for sale this weekend.

Also:
4b79bf925cf211e3b05212a6e2c83f33_8.jpg

Zozobra

Alexander Iaccarino (That Kid Who Draws) 2014 subs are up if anyone is inclined to drop next gen console kinda money. http://www.thatkidwhodraws.com/subscriptions.html

Sounds like he is continuing the anime theme for next year.

Also it sounds like his GitS might be up for sale this weekend.

Seeing this makes me curious, because this guy's bread and butter seems to be doing prints of all these anime properties - does he actually have the rights to do this?

I was pretty bummed when Mockingbird announced that that the Ash Thorp Akira pieces would not be going to print because of the concern about licensing issues.

Greyvvolf

Seeing this makes me curious, because this guy's bread and butter seems to be doing prints of all these anime properties - does he actually have the rights to do this?

I was pretty bummed when Mockingbird announced that that the Ash Thorp Akira pieces would not be going to print because of the concern about licensing issues.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Is it up to the artist? Does anybody know exactly how this works?

Sushigod7

I don't know the actual number of licensed prints for the industry but I would say that it's very small. Everything Mondo does is licensed of course but the majority of the others are not. Maybe it falls under fan art and its usually small runs of things so its not going on sale at a major retailer. I don't know why Ash couldn't do a small run of those prints but it might have something to do with his ties to the movie industry. He does work for major studios and probably did not want to rock the boat? I'm sure the more experienced collectors can give a better answer.

Sorry about the akira project getting canned =(

To answer your question I'm pretty sure he does not have the license. It's fan-art, as were all his other anime inspired screen prints. So while he doesn't have the rights, he chose to sell his fan-art pieces. Is it legal? Not sure -- but probably not.Whenever someone releases an an unlicensed print they're always sticking their necks out a little. I think most of the time the license holders don't really bother to bat an eye since the runs are usually limited and so small -- it's not like people are profiting hugely off the prints -- not to mention the artist themselves are fans. With all that said, technically speaking, there's probably grounds for a lawsuit. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure though. With that said, I think he'll be ok. Looking forward to seeing the full GitS. Glad there's at least some anime screenprints coming out -- even if at this point in time they can be counted on one hand...

In regards to ash's akira, those prints look like they could be official comic covers. ash was worried about not having the rights and maybe his neck may be sticking out a bit too far with those covers -- especially with the titles. So after the weekend where he thought about it, he thought it might be a bad idea. also, both of Mondo's akira releases were unlicensed as well (Stout and Silence TV), and you'll notice that Stout's akira is no longer on Mondo's site. So unfortunately, without the rights and no assurance that we won't be slapped with a lawsuit later on in life, the project got canned. Sorry to have gotten your hopes up.

Hopefully something happens at the end of December to make up for this. anime fans might be pleased. Or not. Save around $100 just in case.

Dreweyes

Parody is the safest route I take when designing t-shirts or prints for IP's I don't have the license for. It's a gray area of US law, but usually a parody of something (has a clear underlying message or commentary) is fair use and won't be challenged (think mad magazine, etc). Like Olly's Samus design is a parody on Mega Man, and doesn't use licensed art or trademarked wording. Some companies love fans creating and selling art, promoting/marketing their IP while building a community, while others, usually larger companies, see it as a loss of profits and hunt down even the smallest fry. It's a tricky business, but if companies made it easier to apply for an IP license, I for one would gladly take a loss in profit to make legit licensed work. Funny enough, some of my parody work has gotten me the connections to produce licensed work for big IP's. I've created licensed Wreck-It Ralph, Avengers, and Star Wars pixel designs for example.

omgkitty

I don't know the actual number of licensed prints for the industry but I would say that it's very small. Everything Mondo does is licensed of course but the majority of the others are not. Maybe it falls under fan art and its usually small runs of things so its not going on sale at a major retailer. I don't know why Ash couldn't do a small run of those prints but it might have something to do with his ties to the movie industry. He does work for major studios and probably did not want to rock the boat? I'm sure the more experienced collectors can give a better answer.

Totally not true. Things like Ansin's Brazil, Stout's Akira, Silence Television's Akira and Olly Moss' Doctor Who are all unlicensed.

Sushigod7

Campbell Whyte finished up my two commissions, I didn't even know he was still working on it thought he missed my emails. Looking forward to getting them the first is based on the Ninja Assassin movie the second is for my wife she loves that iconic Breakfast at Tiffany's moment.
iiyzJ0uwtT1o2.jpg

iOtAppoYYL4ss.jpg

Totally not true. Things like Ansin's Brazil, Stout's Akira, Silence Television's Akira and Olly Moss' Doctor Who are all unlicensed.

Didn't know that or that Akira wasn't licensed I thought they always did.

omgkitty

Campbell Whyte finished up my two commissions, I didn't even know he was still working on it thought he missed my emails. Looking forward to getting them the first is based on the Ninja Assassin movie the second is for my wife she loves that iconic Breakfast at Tiffany's moment.
iiyzJ0uwtT1o2.jpg

iOtAppoYYL4ss.jpg

Didn't know that or that Akira wasn't licensed I thought they always did.

Well you'll notice 3 of those are from their first gallery show. I think Mondo probably guessed they could get away with it due to the fact that they didn't plan on selling the prints online. The ST Akira was a very low run and Doctor Who was something you had to give a special password out to buy. The Brazil is a little more iffy solely because it isn't widely known that's not official. I also find it funny I own all of those prints, minus the Silence Television which I've owned twice, but ended up selling.

Sushigod7

Well you'll notice 3 of those are from their first gallery show. I think Mondo probably guessed they could get away with it due to the fact that they didn't plan on selling the prints online. The ST Akira was a very low run and Doctor Who was something you had to give a special password out to buy. The Brazil is a little more iffy solely because it isn't widely known that's not official. I also find it funny I own all of those prints, minus the Silence Television which I've owned twice, but ended up selling.

Stealth brag! I've given up ever owning that Stout Akira the Silence Television is a great one though maybe I'll grab that sometime.

omgkitty

Stealth brag! I've given up ever owning that Stout Akira the Silence Television is a great one though maybe I'll grab that sometime.

I just thought it was funny that some of my favorite things are impossible to get the rights for. Never say never! I actually got my Akira for $700 only about 6 months ago because it's missing a vertical sliver of the print in the top left hand corner in the black, something that doesn't affect the image and can be framed out.

I pretty much just stopped buying prints I didn't need, and focused spending money on things I really wanted, plus I sold off some of my other stuff as well. It's how I got things like Totoro, Akira and Doctor Who. It's also probably why I've stopped looking at prints recently because I've basically got most of the things I really wanted, and things I don't have, cost stupid amounts of money (Moss Star Wars / Stout Star Wars).

Sushigod7

I just thought it was funny that some of my favorite things are impossible to get the rights for. Never say never! I actually got my Akira for $700 only about 6 months ago because it's missing a vertical sliver of the print in the top left hand corner in the black, something that doesn't affect the image and can be framed out.

I pretty much just stopped buying prints I didn't need, and focused spending money on things I really wanted, plus I sold off some of my other stuff as well. It's how I got things like Totoro, Akira and Doctor Who. It's also probably why I've stopped looking at prints recently because I've basically got most of the things I really wanted, and things I don't have, cost stupid amounts of money (Moss Star Wars / Stout Star Wars).

I need to adopt that philosophy and chill on spending. Thats a great deal on Akira hopefully I can track one down one day I might drop that much I would have to sell off some prints like you did to fund though.

omgkitty

I need to adopt that philosophy and chill on spending. Thats a great deal on Akira hopefully I can track one down one day I might drop that much I would have to sell off some prints like you did to fund though.

Yeah I'm now missing some stuff I regret selling and won't ever pursue again: Ansin Mummy, Ansin Dracula, Moss Zelda, Moss Mario, Moss There Will Be Blood, Ansin Taxi Driver (twice), Durieux Iron Giant. Oh well, you can't have everything, much less afford to frame everything either.

Trasher

Yeah I'm now missing some stuff I regret selling and won't ever pursue again: Ansin Mummy, Ansin Dracula, Moss Zelda, Moss Mario, Moss There Will Be Blood, Ansin Taxi Driver (twice), Durieux Iron Giant. Oh well, you can't have everything, much less afford to frame everything either.

Holy flips!

I love how EB gives people so much shit for flipping stuff even though there's no way even half of the people there can afford to frame all of their shit. Speaking of which, I need to start selling some of my stuff. My unframed backlog is getting too large. :(

omgkitty

Holy flips!

I love how EB gives people so much shit for flipping stuff even though there's no way even half of the people there can afford to frame all of their shit. Speaking of which, I need to start selling some of my stuff. My unframed backlog is getting too large. :(

Everyone on EB flips. Whether you sell it immediately after you buy it or 6 months to a year later, you're still flipping it. A lot of people on EB are full of themselves, and think they're better than others. If you buy something, it's yours to do with what you want. I've seen people get mad at someone for reselling something they originally sold to them, especially when it's for more money. This hobby can be super dumb, but then again when money is involved, everything gets stupid.

Trasher

Everyone on EB flips. Whether you sell it immediately after you buy it or 6 months to a year later, you're still flipping it. A lot of people on EB are full of themselves, and think they're better than others. If you buy something, it's yours to do with what you want. I've seen people get mad at someone for reselling something they originally sold to them, especially when it's for more money. This hobby can be super dumb, but then again when money is involved, everything gets stupid.

My favorite a while back was when someone over there said it was pretty much a sin to keep prints in a flatfile, and if you are someone who does that then you don't deserve to own the poster. I think Tyler Stout eventually chimed in and sarcastically said a small part of himself dies every time he hears about one of his prints being stuck in a flatfile haha.

omgkitty

My favorite a while back was when someone over there said it was pretty much a sin to keep prints in a flatfile, and if you are someone who does that then you don't deserve to own the poster. I think Tyler Stout eventually chimed in and sarcastically said a small part of himself dies every time he hears about one of his prints being stuck in a flatfile haha.

Haha yeah everyone has their own opinion on this stuff. I find it funny that all these people with these high and mighty opinions are usually the ones who are the most guilty. They try and "protect" the artists, but the artists usually don't give a shit, or they believe that people should just enjoy the art. You'll see people who balk and complain when they hear someone has printed out some of Olly's papercuts and framed them, yet Olly has said he thinks it's fine and is glad they enjoy the art as long as they aren't selling fakes.

Trasher

Haha yeah everyone has their own opinion on this stuff. I find it funny that all these people with these high and mighty opinions are usually the ones who are the most guilty. They try and "protect" the artists, but the artists usually don't give a shit, or they believe that people should just enjoy the art. You'll see people who balk and complain when they hear someone has printed out some of Olly's papercuts and framed them, yet Olly has said he thinks it's fine and is glad they enjoy the art as long as they aren't selling fakes.

I should ask DrewJ to make me Maverick/Goose papercuts. You think he'd sign them for me too?!

omgkitty

I should ask DrewJ to make me Maverick/Goose papercuts. You think he'd sign them for me too?!

Haha yeah that guy is sketchy. Olly's new signature is part of the reason why I don't care about signatures on my prints. Sure it's great, but people who think they can sell them for more money are crazy.

Trasher

Haha yeah that guy is sketchy. Olly's new signature is part of the reason why I don't care about signatures on my prints. Sure it's great, but people who think they can sell them for more money are crazy.

Wait, so what was Olly's reason for changing his signature? I thought it was just to make it easier on himself with the simple "M".

iiyzJ0uwtT1o2.jpg

iOtAppoYYL4ss.jpg

Nice! Did you actually get these in the mail? My (gift) was shipped a couple weeks back, but I haven't seen anything come through. Wasn't sure how long it'd take.

Sushigod7

This, I don't get all the criticisms/arguments about flipping something. I've had prints I really wanted got them in person and thought meh I'll just sell it. Sometimes people change their minds, sometimes we need extra cash etc. I just stay out of the forums at EB hard to read some of that trash sometimes.

I had a friend print out a decent Totoro Var I won't lie. Doesn't look amazing or but why not? I've had the most difficult time tracking down a decent price print I said screw it. People that are selling them for 2000 can go die a slow death.

Nice! Did you actually get these in the mail? My (gift) was shipped a couple weeks back, but I haven't seen anything come through. Wasn't sure how long it'd take.

He hasn't shipped mine yet, did you get any type of tracking? Since he is ahead on time communication is somewhat difficult and delayed. Hope it goes out today.

He hasn't shipped mine yet, did you get any type of tracking? Since he is ahead on time communication is somewhat difficult and delayed. Hope it goes out today.

I don't think there was a tracking number, but I can't say for sure - my sister bought my print as a gift, and was told it'd go out in the mail on Nov 19th. Hopefully it shows up in a few days. Thanksgiving probably threw the shipping off by a couple of days.

IronRinn

Been trying to work on this a well, slowly. Very. Slowly.

omgkitty

Been trying to work on this a well, slowly. Very. Slowly.

Yeah I was kind of just going along normally there, and then over the course of just a few months I bought the Moss Doctor Who, the Moss Totoro variant and then the Stout Akira, and I just burned out after that.Only prints I've bought since then were the Moss Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle variants.

Sushigod7

Yeah I was kind of just going along normally there, and then over the course of just a few months I bought the Moss Doctor Who, the Moss Totoro variant and then the Stout Akira, and I just burned out after that.Only prints I've bought since then were the Moss Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle variants.

Wow thats a good few months though!

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Yeah, I've found that if you're going to keep from burning out your best bet is to avoid just buying everything[/]. Im at a point now where I've got a few things left that I really want, but everything I have now is framed and hanging.

Bii

I met, who I assume was an EBer, at San Diego Comic-Con 2013, and we struck up a conversation in line at Mondo's booth. The Godzilla print was dropping and I couldn't decide whether I wanted the regular (which I liked more) or variant edition (because it's more limited). He asked why I didn't get both and started to explain to me that I could just sell off one of them to recoup what I had paid or profit off of it because values for prints rarely drop. He tells me that he buys prints that he doesn't want so he could sell them and use that money to buy prints that he does want, which makes obvious sense but I had never looked at it that way. Needless to say, I bought both Godzilla prints for $125, and sold the variant on ebay once I got home for $180. I, basically, ended up getting the regular for free.

Sushigod7

I met, who I assume was an EBer, at San Diego Comic-Con 2013, and we struck up a conversation in line at Mondo's booth. The Godzilla print was dropping and I couldn't decide whether I wanted the regular (which I liked more) or variant edition (because it's more limited). He asked why I didn't get both and started to explain to me that I could just sell off one of them to recoup what I had paid or profit off of it because values for prints rarely drop. He tells me that he buys prints that he doesn't want so he could sell them and use that money to buy prints that he does want, which makes obvious sense but I had never looked at it that way. Needless to say, I bought both Godzilla prints for $125, and sold the variant on ebay once I got home for $180. I, basically, ended up getting the regular for free.

I could totally see this at conventions for online drops usually that isn't possible. Going to a con costs a lot of money from tickets and travel expenses if you don't live there. I'd go to SDCC and buy collector stuff to sell to recoup costs.

New print site catered for the young is now up and it's run by Mitch Putnam from Mondo. Check it out here: http://pwints.myshopify.com/

Has art by Ken Taylor, Kevin Tong, Dave Perillo, and various other known artists.

thanks for the heads up. Some of them are quite nice: I bought 4 for my daughter (2 of which are actually for me). And the shipping is actually decently price for once !

Short of scoring anything ever on mondo (or elsewhere) that's pretty sweet.

I too have cooled down on the print buying only to drown in the world of ogs and street art.

Anyone checkout the Swoon drop over at papermonster.net

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I too have cooled down on the print buying only to drown in the world of ogs and street art.

Anyone checkout the Swoon drop over at papermonster.net

this is pretty much my new jam too. Though honestly more funds are going to framing at the moment.

Did score the new Roamcouch though.

Is this place legit? Seems to have a lot of out of stock stuff (elsewhere) for very fair prices

a bit late in answering but:

Postersandtoys is 100% legit. It is owned and operated by Mitch Putnam who is basically 1/3rd of the main Mondo Team (the other 2 being Justin and Rob). Many of the international artists that do mondo prints sell their artist proofs through his site and has him ship/send out stuff in order to reduce costs because shipping back and forth internationally is both risky and pricey.

a lot of the black friday archive stuff were being sold for artists, such as Stout's Drives and attack the blocks. Some stuff were from his personal collection though.

this is pretty much my new jam too. Though honestly more funds are going to framing at the moment.

Did score the new Roamcouch though.

Nice, dont mean to sound creepy but i saw your name on the website. Any number requests ;-)? I also managed to snag one for myself. It looks insane in person.

Sushigod7

By the by, I received Shayou (Setting Sun) a few weeks back. Looks great in person.

IMG_20131205_130248_241_zps904caf3d.jpg

They also threw in a free variant colorway or test print. It's unsigned/unnumbered and it had slight edge damage but it was free so I can't complain! I was very happy and surprised to receive an extra print!

IMG_20131205_130313_451_zpsf22d7e7e.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9wAtCe8Oc

I have been looking at that since you posted it looks great. I might break down and get it we don't get enough anime screenprints.

edit: nice Club Nintendo Zelda posters underneath!!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There are people in the Hearthstone thread who would offer sexual favors for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom