• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would I have to do to get one of those open spots?

For the time being, nothing yet. I have to wait until all the choices are made and the printing cost is finalized.

Now in regards to the printer and printing costs:

There are two choices for the printer.

1. We can use Eclipse Workshop. These guys are fine art screenprinters. They are part of Collectors Edition and are the ones who do all the Official Disney Fine Art releases and printing. They also print the majority of SHAG's (Josh Agle) work -- whose works usually exceed 20+ colors. Probably the best screenprinters out there and this would be treated like more of a fineart piece. It'd look better than the usual screenprints that you're used to buying for sure -- with fancy inks and paper. The printing cost per print would be roughly $20~$25 per print. The prints these guys do usually sell in $100+ range retail because their rate is definitely more expensive than D&L, Burlesque, or the other print houses the poster companies like Mondo, Acme, etc. usually use.

2. We can use a different printer who doesn't have the curriculum vitae of Eclipse Workshop, but still plenty of experience and work. There is no Disney mark-up. The cost per print would be lower at around $10~$15, I believe. We can definitely use the fancy inks and paper as well, which would lead the price more towards $15.

Go for quality over price. That's just my opinion though.

I want to also add, that it's a rare instance for us to be able to get job done by eclipse workshop without any sort of retail mark up. As usually you'd be buying from a retailer or direct from the artist, who would then inflate the cost. In this instance, there's no mark-up from me on the prints -- so we'd be paying the exact cost to produce this artwork + paypal fees. So to get an 18"x24" screenprinted poster for $45~$50 with art by Ash Thorp and printing done by Eclipse Workshop is really pretty awesome, imo.

LaneDS

Quality over price as well. I'm also in support of Mockingbird making money off of these prints considering what I assume is a lot of effort to make a pretty awesome opportunity for all of us happen.

Sushigod7

Quality for sure

I think you have your answer from the responses so far. So for variant & reg plus the shipping charge I'm estimating $90?

I want to also add, that it's a rare instance for us to be able to get job done by eclipse workshop without any sort of retail mark up. As usually you'd be buying from a retailer or direct from the artist, who would then inflate the cost. In this instance, there's no mark-up from me on the prints -- so we'd be paying the exact cost to produce this artwork + paypal fees. So to get an 18"x24" screenprinted poster for $45~$50 with art by Ash Thorp and printing done by Eclipse Workshop is really pretty awesome, imo.

+1 for Eclipse. Worth the extra ten bucks to me just to check it out.

chibiboy

Neo Member

I also agree this is an opportunity we should jump on. YOLO!!!!! =P

Not trying to just blatantly brag, but honestly I wouldn't have thought I would ever truly like something Budich made, but this thing is seriously impressive:

dEyyE6z.jpg

rqqOmLD.jpg

Giant versions:

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Budich has gotten good. I'd say I legitimately like a fair portion of his prints these days. his CMYK screens are neato too.

The next major step is for him to get good at more limited screens and really show off his drawing. He's got a ways to go, but he's come a long way even since I've been in the hobby, so it should be fun to watch and see.

ps. the only bummer on that print is the title treatment. Glad he went to the classic logo for Temple

Sushigod7

His Star Wars and these Indy prints are killer great pick up. He has found his style it seems like. Wish I could have got in on this I missed his lottery as well for the AP's. I've actually talked to him about doing a 5th Element print anyone interested?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
His Star Wars and these Indy prints are killer great pick up. He has found his style it seems like. Wish I could have got in on this I missed his lottery as well for the AP's. I've actually talked to him about doing a 5th Element print anyone interested?

won't need a 5th Element print thanks to the one Eng did

So how much will this MGS end up costing us altogether when all is said and done? I forget how much we've already paid.

Almost everyone paid $20 thus far.

Let's go worst case scenario and do and do an overestimate of $30 for printing costs.

Thus making the poster $50 total ($30 + $20).

Shipping I assume $15 or free if local pick up.

So the total you would end up paying is $65. You guys can also lower the rest of the price ($45) by 2.9% + 30 cents by paying via PayPal gift but that would mean no buyer protection on your end, so you'd be trusting me and jstevenson to ship it out to you.

Rinemie

Neo Member
Kevin Tong Dr Manhattan Variant
Olly Moss Sightseers Variant [gone]

up now on mondo.
Listings now gone.

Kill Bill is up now

I got a Kill Bill too. With a print run over 500 I was seriously shocked at how quickly they sold out.

Already broke my resolution not to buy Mondo this year.... ugh.

IronRinn

Almost everyone paid $20 thus far.

Let's go worst case scenario and do and do an overestimate of $30 for printing costs.

Thus making the poster $50 total ($30 + $20).

Shipping I assume $15 or free if local pick up.

So the total you would end up paying is $65. You guys can also lower the rest of the price ($45) by 2.9% + 30 cents by paying via PayPal gift but that would mean no buyer protection on your end, so you'd be trusting me and jstevenson to ship it out to you.

No way man, you're just gonna take my money and buy yourself some new kicks, Iknowhowthisworks.

In all seriousness though, $65.00 would still be a good price.

Sushigod7

Really? I remember seeing his stuff in Juxtapoz many years ago when my pretentiousness was in full swing. Always thought it was kind of cool but never anything I'd put on the wall until now.

This is rather tame compared to some of his other work I will probably hang this at some point.

This is rather tame compared to some of his other work I will probably hang this at some point.

Yeah, that's what kept it off the walls. (I should say instead kept me from ever purchasing.) Particularly the ErostyPop stuff. His JP gig posters are awesome, but kind of hard to come by.

I'll be heading over to Eclipse Workshop on 1/16 to have them look at the file and get an exact printing quote.

Once that's all decided I'll begin collecting payments for MGS and Majo. So soon.

Paprika is in limbo.

So far for metal gear solid the count is 43 regulars and 54 variants.

Still waiting on 8 replies. 7 spots have been re-opened.

Update on the print: Only thing pending is metallics and paper, which are subject to change still.

The Regular is a 5 color screenprint with metallic inks and a clear layer over the text. Everything is metallics except the text. Paper TBD.

The Variant is a 4 color screenprint with metallic inks and a clear layer over the text. Only Gray Fox and his sword is metallics. Paper TBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom