• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you said it last page, Mikasa Ackerman by Craig Drake?

Correct.

I thought this was one of the mystery pieces from HCG.

Nay. I thought Craig finished the Mikasa commission early but he was referring to Makoto Kusanagi.

The way the Mikasa piece will work will be like Paprika and Majo. This is basically a private commission that I'll be sharing with Neogaf. I think the run will be 30 and you can see the image before-hand, most like. That said, maybe between now and summer I will change the subject, so who knows?

UPDATE on MGS Commission:

Going in tomorrow to take photos of the progress thus far and to approve the blue color. I think thus far 2-3 colors have already been printed on both editions. Should be done around the end of the week or early next week at the latest.

Kerrinck

Correct.

Nay. I thought Craig finished the Mikasa commission early but he was referring to Makoto Kusanagi.

The way the Mikasa piece will work will be like Paprika and Majo. This is basically a private commission that I'll be sharing with Neogaf. I think the run will be 30 and you can see the image before-hand, most like. That said, maybe between now and summer I will change the subject, so who knows?

Awesome, definitely in on the Mikasa piece.

Sigma722

UPDATE on MGS Commission:

Going in tomorrow to take photos of the progress thus far and to approve the blue color. I think thus far 2-3 colors have already been printed on both editions. Should be done around the end of the week or early next week at the latest.

Hnnng. Can't wait!

8/31/2014:

Fancy-Poster GAF Commission #6: Mikasa Ackerman (ミカサ・アッカーマン) by Craig Drake ( http://craigdrake.tumblr.com )

Size TBD. Edition of around 30. Hand-numbered screenprint. Price TBD. Expected Summer 2014.

Interested Parties said:
1. Mockingbird
2. Mockingbird's +1 (MMJ)
3. Mockingbird's +2 (Hax)
4. Mockingbird's +3 (CD)
5. Kerrinck
6. Bii
7. Salamando
8. BreakyBoy
9. IronRinn
10. Sushigod7
11. chibiboy
12. ohkay
13. boraaa

Feel free to add yourself to the list if you're interested.

Bii

8/31/2014:

Fancy-Poster GAF Commission #6: Mikasa Ackerman (ミカサ・アッカーマン) by Craig Drake ( http://craigdrake.tumblr.com )

Size TBD. Edition of around 30. Hand-numbered screenprint. Expected Summer 2014.

Originally Posted by [b said:
Interested Parties[/b]]

1. Mockingbird
4. Mockingbird's +3 (CD)
5. Kerrinck
6. Bii

Oh, me, me!

Trasher

8/31/2014:

Size TBD. Edition of around 30. Hand-numbered screenprint. Price TBD. Expected Summer 2014.

Obligatory

BB0c4xP.gif

:p

Salamando

8/31/2014:

Interested Parties said:
1. Mockingbird
4. Mockingbird's +3 (CD)
5. Kerrinck
6. Bii
7. Salamando

I'd love to be in on this too. Weird that I'm probably spending more on fancy-posters than games nowadays.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
8/31/2014:

Interested Parties said:
1. Mockingbird
4. Mockingbird's +3 (CD)
5. Kerrinck
6. Bii
7. Salamando
8. BreakyBoy

Yup.

Update on Fancy-Poster GAF Commission #1: Metal Gear Solid - Gray Fox by Ash Thorp

I went in to the printers today to approve the blue color. It looks great. Approved! But there was a problem that I spotted as well. So here's what happened:

IMG_20140415_115714_259_zps37e622f6.jpg

The regular edition. The above piece is still WIP -- it's missing red and the UV layer. This was printed on Astrosilver - Orion. It looks ok in the photo but there is a problem with it you cannot see. First, the white color looks like it's a glow in the dark color. 2nd, the paper stock is quite thin -- which is ok, but it means it's not as easy to handle. The bigger problem is the white. But since this was printed on a different paper than the one I requested -- which is Stardream Silver 285 gsm, and there is a problem with the white, the printer will go ahead and do a reprint. The paper that was sent to them was not what was requested -- there was basically a miscommunication and the job got started last week using the wrong paper and went by without notice until I came in for approval.

You see on the bottom of the print in the picture there is a silver square? That's the paper that it will end up being on -- and that is the jpeg difference I was alluding to.

So in-short, the regular edition was slated to be completed tomorrow but since it was on the wrong paper stock, the entire run will be trashed and it will be reprinted with the correct paper stock and a fixed white as well. To be honest, even with the different white, the current version now looks really good as well. But it doesn't hold a candle in its current state to the...

IMG_20140415_115859_364_zpsd81f7e19.jpg

Variant. Only needs a red layer and the varnish to finish. I was impressed when I saw it.

Especially here:

IMG_20140415_115912_216_zps4e84dd86.jpg

The left is the incomplete screenprint and the right is the digital proof (giclee copy). The digital proof is done by taking the file and simply hitting the print button. Here the black layer is activated on the letters. The difference between the screenprint and the digital proof here is night and day. And in person it is even more impressive.

So though the variant can be 100% done tomorrow, even if I did get it, I'd still need to wait on the silver because Ash has to sign both.

In other words, it will take a bit longer. Sorry. Almost there though. Also, all these photos are via cellphone cams so excuse those please. They really do look great in person. I was extremely happy with it.

Also, you know how it's 4-5 colors? Well for each color to be created, 2 passes had to be done. First the color pass, and then the metallic pass -- which is different than simply mixing them together to make 1 pass. Done for quality and it shows in person (you can't see any of the metallics in the pics above, but everything in those pics are metallics -- including the white border).

Although Brigitte Bardot seems pretty unfazed I for one am really impressed. Really looking forward to seeing the print in person but I will wait for as long as needed (although I'm still curious about that commission that I'm supposed to learn about with the sending of the invoice :p)

LaneDS

I say it a bunch but thank you Mockingbird for not only organizing this but also for overseeing the finer details of the printing process as well. Very excited to see both final products!

Sushigod7

Originally Posted by Interested Parties

1. Mockingbird
4. Mockingbird's +3 (CD)
5. Kerrinck
6. Bii
7. Salamando
8. BreakyBoy
9. IronRinn
10. Sushigod7

I'm down thanks again for all the extra work on the MGS print!

Wow those Metal Gears look amazing, can't wait. Also, Mockingbird if you see this - have we given you shipping information (don't remember if you've asked for it), or are you just going off our Paypal accounts for the address to ship to?

4/16/2014

Batman: The Black Mirror by Jock

Poster by Jock. 24"x36" screen print. 48-hour Timed Edition. $65

How to buy online: http://4twenty.bigcartel.com/ @ random time on 4/16/14

-

Batman: The Black Mirror (Black & White Edition) by Jock

Poster by Jock. 24"x36" screen print. 48-hour Timed Edition. $50

How to buy online: http://4twenty.bigcartel.com/ @ random time on 4/16/14

Whoa, I want that bad, do they have a twitter account or something I can get an alert on?

Natlebug

Neo Member
Does non-reflective glass make any difference when viewing a GID layer on a poster? Or because it's most likely dark, is there nothing to reflect? Kinda curious what route to take while framing 'New Eden' and 'Fist of the First Men'.

My other two Englert prints are framed with non-reflective glass and I love them. But I could save a decent amount of money by going with standard glass. Thanks.

4/17/2014:

Jaws by Cesar Moreno

d22169d039942a4c474ca457_533x177.jpg

Poster by Cesar Moreno. 12"x36" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 375. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

How to buy online: http://mondotees.com/view_category.asp?cat=12 @ a random time.

Where the Wild Things Are by Nicolas Delort

baed2a80367651c87cca6951_533x711.jpg

Poster by Nicolas Delort. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 250. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $40

How to buy online: http://mondotees.com/view_category.asp?cat=12 @ a random time.

Can somebody add me to the Mikasa - Craig Drake list?

Done.

Interested Parties:

1. Mockingbird
4. Mockingbird's +3 (CD)
5. Kerrinck
6. Bii
7. Salamando
8. BreakyBoy
9. IronRinn
10. Sushigod7
11. chibiboy

ohkay

Interested Parties:

1. Mockingbird
4. Mockingbird's +3 (CD)
5. Kerrinck
6. Bii
7. Salamando
8. BreakyBoy
9. IronRinn
10. Sushigod7
11. chibiboy
12. ohkay
I'm in. Attack on Titan is the first anime I've watched in a loooong while. Thanks for putting these together MB!

Omie

Looking for any leads on getting a Proctor TCM for a buddy of mine. We've tried EB but it haven't had any luck yet. He's looking to trade a Stout SotD and I'm adding a Durieux Die Hard to sweeten the deal. Please PM if you can help, thanks!

LaneDS

Drake red Bebop variant came in today, and looked much better in person than I was expecting.

Unrelated, there's a flat file/coffee table in my area on Craigslist for $750. Seems like a fair price, but I welcome opinions on that. Expensive, but I figure a flat file is a good investment since I don't plan to frame everything (as that'd be even more expensive) and I'd rather not store things in shipping tubes longer than necessary.

suplex

I know it's a coffee table too, so it's probably nice, but it better be really nice for $750.

I got my flat files for $100 a piece. They are 40+ years old, but were in overall good condition. A quick repaint and they look nice.

Unless you're looking for something fancy that doubles as a coffee table, I'd keep looking.

omgkitty

Drake red Bebop variant came in today, and looked much better in person than I was expecting.

Unrelated, there's a flat file/coffee table in my area on Craigslist for $750. Seems like a fair price, but I welcome opinions on that. Expensive, but I figure a flat file is a good investment since I don't plan to frame everything (as that'd be even more expensive) and I'd rather not store things in shipping tubes longer than necessary.

Link? Honestly that's ridiculous. I've seen people get flat files for like $50. Even if this is decked out and redone or something, there's no way it's worth that much.

Sigma722

I'd like to see pics!

That's somewhat high unless it is wood with a nice finish, and a viewing window of some sort.

Sigma722

Just found this beaut for 225 in my area:

00J0J_jh1p9HlTksr_600x450.jpg

Shame it's dimensions are shit. 22x33.

Edit:

Oh man, these guys are just 250 each. ObamaNotBad.jpg:

00E0E_1louxUN5RFf_600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom