• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

Boss Fight Kickstarter is up for anyone who missed out on the first edition:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1563446835/boss-fight-hand-printed-video-game-posters

They rock IMO

06R67jV.jpg

harSon

Banned
I got the Pulp Fiction poster from Mondo yesterday. I ordered it back in November so I completely forgot about it. This is my first foray into these types of posters since I always seem to be too late in ordering them. I was surprised by the quality of the paper they use. It's super thick and the colors really pop.

I'll take a picture when i get home from work.

LaneDS

I got the Pulp Fiction poster from Mondo yesterday. I ordered it back in November so I completely forgot about it. This is my first foray into these types of posters since I always seem to be too late in ordering them. I was surprised by the quality of the paper they use. It's super thick and the colors really pop.

I'll take a picture when i get home from work.

Oh awesome! Haven't gotten a shipping notification yet on that so would be excited to see pictures posted. Glad you dig it!

Trasher

Boss Fight Kickstarter is up for anyone who missed out on the first edition:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1563446835/boss-fight-hand-printed-video-game-posters

They rock IMO

06R67jV.jpg

The drama that goes along with it is pretty good stuff:

From an EB post (Daniel Danger):
theres also a huge amount of 'highly placed' artists who, as much as they wish they could reprint an edition, simply don't ...because well, they stated an edition, sold that edition, and thats that. sure, everyone WISHES they had more copies of a print that had alot of interest, or developed interest after the fact. thats not exactly a newsworthy reveal. the reason artists would be afraid of what people would say is because well, they inherently know its not cool and that voice of reason is speaking to them. ive done two open editions, stated up front, to counter this and fullfill a need to cater to casual buyers who dont want to play the print drop game, or simply dont know about it and stroll into the site. having items in the store every day at the exact same price no matter what vs a 15 minute burst every month has helped immensely with keeping my company afloat. so while i wish i had 100 more copies of 100 past prints ive done so i could make the phattest of stacks yo, i dont. because i stated an edition, printed that edition, and people bought out that edition with an understanding of how editions work. so i make new work and move on with my life.

heres where i stand on it, give or take. editions are a promise you make to the people who are supporting and investing in you and your work. that their purchase of your artwork will retain the notion of patronage they put into it; the artist will return that support into their investment and energy. this isnt necessarily referring to "ebay value", but more of a "i bought a special thing, and i supported you in the process as fan. and years down the line, i will still have my special thing and it will still be special." if the people who support you continue to feel like that support is appreciated and secure, you will have fans for life. so... i dont know why anyone would EVER mess with the trust of their patrons. how is that possibly going to pay off well in the end? because why would you ever invest a large amount of money into an art purchase if you didnt trust the artist to respect and go to bat to retain the value of that purchase.

(...and obviously some people just dont care either way and just want a pretty picture on their wall and they think were all fuucking nerds for giving a damn. hah! normies!)

tim, you mentioned wanting to change the culture of screenprint collecting, to sometime i assume thats less 'limited edition' in the traditional sense (ps, good luck turning THAT tide). i forget your wording, but i know youve mentioned in the past wanting to make these images available to anyone at any time, because the fans of broad pop culture are more universal than the fans of print collecting. casual purchases for casual buyers: a totally valid sales approach i will not argue with. but the biggest problem is as much as you talk about hardcore collectors, fixed editions, and the collector mentality as being so problematic and not what youre trying to get down with, and respond to collectors angry over surprise reprints like theyre silly for having these kind of thoughts; you never stop using the vernacular of the collecting frenzy world. its still "ONLY AVAILABLE" "NEVER AGAIN AVAILABLE" "LIMITED EDITION" "GOES ON SALE AT 2pm SHARP!!" "SOLD OUT IN AN HOUR" and all the hype on almost everything you release and promote. and the only reason i can think of why that would be the case is because youre FULLY aware that you have to heat the embers of the collector mentality to get the machine running in the first place. can you sell 1000 prints in the end if the first 100 dont disappear as quickly as possible and get that coveted 'sold out' flag? hell, you sell your AP copies for a markup, so you do recognize the value of rarity. but when someone who buys a last copy final chance $75 AP complains when a $40 reprint is released less than a month later, theyre the fools for not understanding your often-indecisive business model? how are you surprised people are confused? why are you telling collectors who support you that theyre fools for buying into the limited edition collector mentality that you dangle in front of them? if youre trying to change the collector culture, i dunno... to quote your best selling 10th edition print, maybe you gotta stop with the half measures.

On another note- I'm bummed those Carl and Ellie's sold out. Really wanted a pair. :(

krae_man

The drama that goes along with it is pretty good stuff:

From an EB post (Daniel Danger):

On another note- I'm bummed those Carl and Ellie's sold out. Really wanted a pair. :(

I just can't help but laugh. They are prints, not originals. It's not like this is new. There are several editions of Picasso's and whatnot. Been happening forever.

Risible

Danger's comments are spot on.

Yeah, I agree. Whether or not you agree that editions should be limited or not, if you create an edition of, say, 200 the buyer buys into it with that in mind. Changing the rules later is tantamount to bait and switch.

Yeah, I agree. Whether or not you agree that editions should be limited or not, if you create an edition of, say, 200 the buyer buys into it with that in mind. Changing the rules later is tantamount to bait and switch.

Hence why I never post about his stuff or his company's stuff on here myself. Though back when this thread started I used to, but when I found out about the edition size thing, because I disagree with his practices I decided to not give him any sort of mention after that.

IronRinn

I can't see where Danger originally posted that, but he's right about the language. I mean multiple editions, whatever, even Danger has done that. But yeah, if you want to make art so that everyone can have a copy you have to abandon the language of selling limited edition prints because otherwise it feels like you're trying to trick people. Seems simple enough.

Natlebug

Neo Member
I can't see where Danger originally posted that, but he's right about the language. I mean multiple editions, whatever, even Danger has done that. But yeah, if you want to make art so that everyone can have a copy you have to abandon the language of selling limited edition prints because otherwise it feels like you're trying to trick people. Seems simple enough.

The whole conversation is in the thread for Doyle's 'Drunken Promises' print. It's an interesting read once you get past 15 or so pages of trolling.

Geeez I have not been in this thread in forever. Super bummed I missed the Ico commission, but such is life. So how has everyone been?

I picked up a few things I'm really excited about since I was last here

Horkey!
IMG_6603_zpsrlkow5ni.jpg

Moss!
20150207_171818_zpshdwe39gj.jpg

Now it's time to go back 50 pages or so...

IronRinn

Geeez I have not been in this thread in forever. Super bummed I missed the Ico commission, but such is life. So how has everyone been?

Horkey!
IMG_6603_zpsrlkow5ni.jpg

Moss!
20150207_171818_zpshdwe39gj.jpg

Damn dude, these were you? I saw them over on EB. Very, very nice.

The whole conversation is in the thread for Doyle's 'Drunken Promises' print. It's an interesting read once you get past 15 or so pages of trolling.

Thanks! I'll give it a look.

LaneDS

Those LOTR prints look so great, congrats on having all three framed. I know I'll never have more than the Fellowship variant, which I guess is fine as the color scheme on the three variants aren't uniform and would look a little odd together I think.

Damn dude, these were you? I saw them over on EB. Very, very nice.

Yup, that was me. Thanks :)

Those LOTR prints look so great, congrats on having all three framed. I know I'll never have more than the Fellowship variant, which I guess is fine as the color scheme on the three variants aren't uniform and would look a little odd together I think.

A lengthy and pricey process, but well worth it. Not having seen any of the variants IRL or even a pic of a framed set I couldn't say how they compare, but this was posted on EB the other day

10250316_10102580614220238_7020766721874927099_n.jpg

I don't think the paper color would be much of an issue for me.

starkdesign

Neo Member
I was really torn on whether or not to get the Zelda Boss Fight print... until I saw who was printing it/involved. Then my mind was made up, total pass. I guess if I ever change my mind, I can wait for the next edition to be printed at least lol ;)

LaneDS

A lengthy and pricey process, but well worth it. Not having seen any of the variants IRL or even a pic of a framed set I couldn't say how they compare, but this was posted on EB the other day

10250316_10102580614220238_7020766721874927099_n.jpg

I don't think the paper color would be much of an issue for me.

I think all the variants look great but just felt they don't have the same uniformity you have there with the regulars framed side by side. Different paper, different inks... just to me doesn't like as nice framed side by side as the regulars.

Congrats again though, really does look rad!

Natlebug

Neo Member
Your frame up of the LotR trilogy is my favorite. I've been trying to get my hands on a RotK reg for some time now. The asking prices are pretty high, so I've been trying to secure a trade + cash. Someday I'll have that glorious set...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Horkey!
IMG_6603_zpsrlkow5ni.jpg

Definitely like the cohesion of the three regs. vs. the variants. Awesome frame up, homie.

I will say, though: I got my Fellowship reg. and it's stunning, but the metallics seem kind of unnecessary. Like, they don't pop from the colors surrounding them, and end up simply looking flat.

Your frame up of the LotR trilogy is my favorite. I've been trying to get my hands on a RotK reg for some time now. The asking prices are pretty high, so I've been trying to secure a trade + cash. Someday I'll have that glorious set...

I did a big push to get one about a month before Fellowship dropped, knowing prices would shoot up. My copy was damaged, but not in the image area so it never bugged me at all.
Good luck, patience will pay off.

Definitely like the cohesion of the three regs. vs. the variants. Awesome frame up, homie.

I will say, though: I got my Fellowship reg. and it's stunning, but the metallics seem kind of unnecessary. Like, they don't pop from the colors surrounding them, and end up simply looking flat.

Thanks! The fell beast on RotK also has metallics. They're not real flashy, but I find them to be a great subtle highlight.

LaneDS

My eyes got really big when I saw the latest e-mail from Mondo come in, as I saw AKIRA in big letters... and then read more closely.

Meier

My eyes got really big when I saw the latest e-mail from Mondo come in, as I saw AKIRA in big letters... and then read more closely.

I'd like to see that movie -- looks cute. Don't know if I have ever been interested in a print from Jay Shaw.

This is the only Shaw I have:

Mondo-Comic-Con-Jay-Shaw-Mimic-450x600.jpg

Signed by the artist and Del Toro, I absolutely love it. But I don't have a strong urge to collect more Jay Shaw prints. He has a tendency to do prints for fairly obscure titles so there's little interest for me in the properties most of the time, but I also have to wonder if I'm not turned off by the lack of hype/popularity/flip factor (whatever you want to call it.) Now I don't sell prints very often, but it's a nice feeling when things you own appreciate in value.

IronRinn

Yeah, I think we've talked about it before, but for me the problem is with the films he does, not the actual illustrations. I like his stuff but 8 times out of 10 I have never heard of the film the print is for.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
That's bloody fantastic.

Mark should make a companion piece that's vertical and it's just Homer bouncing off jagged rocks.

Meier

Limited Edition of Olly Moss's Silhouettes book is up. ~$75.00 shipped to the US. Cheaper for you European folks.

A little depressing but I have the original. My brother picked it up for me in London and it's signed so that is pretty nice. Well, by signed.. it has the circular M like on the product page here. My wife put up a little photo of part of our knick-knacks shelf and it was visible along with a Grave of the Fireflies candy tin replica from Japan [:***(].

Risible

Shaw was one of those artists who never did anything for me. I saw his rise over on Ebeans, and he seems like a really nice guy, but his posters never really speak to me personally.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The only Shaws I have are Paths to Glory and Repo Man. That Paths to Glory was one of the first I picked up before I really started to hoarding prints.

IronRinn

His poster for A Field in England is great too. Wish I had seen the movie at the time it was released so I could have picked it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom