• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuneDude

Neo Member
Gah, I know I haven't actually started shipping yet but this is pretty relevant to announce now. Don't want to say what it is or who the artist is but there will be a commission for 3rd/4th quarter of this year and the edition size will be the same as the Ico one.

Why I'm mentioning this now is because the way I plan to do this one is the same as book rights. For those that own Ico at the time the commission begins, you will have your numbered spot on this commission reserved. In other words, don't forget your numbers so I can easily match it up for you.

So is this the possible last commissioned piece or is this one officially not happening now?

Sigma722

If anyone is interested, I just received my Signed/Limited Moss Silhouettes book from Titan publishing, and in between buying it and receiving it decided I didn't really need it. If any of you gaffers want it for cost let me know. Roughly $80 shipped.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If anyone is interested, I just received my Signed/Limited Moss Silhouettes book from Titan publishing, and in between buying it and receiving it decided I didn't really need it. If any of you gaffers want it for cost let me know. Roughly $80 shipped.

basically when it didn't have a papercut inside? (joking!!!!!.... mostly)

Sigma722

basically when it didn't have a papercut inside? (joking!!!!!.... mostly)

That would have been nice. Basically I jumped on it in the rush so I wouldn't regret it if I missed it. Then I had time to think about it, and realized I have enough coffee table books. Not sure what is up with Olly and those extra papercuts...

Hey folks, I'm looking for some advice.

I want to get this one movie poster print framed;

sq6JX0Cl.png

I would like to get a decent mat around the border as well.

I'm looking at mainly black frames, any ideas as to what color I should get the mat in?

LaneDS

Hey folks, I'm looking for some advice.

I want to get this one movie poster print framed;

sq6JX0Cl.png

I would like to get a decent mat around the border as well.

I'm looking at mainly black frames, any ideas as to what color I should get the mat in?

Could have sworn there was a way on americanframe.com to preview what a piece would look like framed up with different frames and mats selected, but can't seem to find it.

Normally I'd go with a color that it's in the print to highlight the art in a particular way, but since you've pretty much got two colors to choose from I'm not sure how good either gold or black would look as a mat without seeing it.

You could get a black frame with hints of that gold color in it too, and skip the mat. Are you bringing it in to be framed professionally or doing it yourself?

Could have sworn there was a way on americanframe.com to preview what a piece would look like framed up with different frames and mats selected, but can't seem to find it.

Normally I'd go with a color that it's in the print to highlight the art in a particular way, but since you've pretty much got two colors to choose from I'm not sure how good either gold or black would look as a mat without seeing it.

You could get a black frame with hints of that gold color in it too, and skip the mat. Are you bringing it in to be framed professionally or doing it yourself?

I was going to use pictureframes.com I've used them before and they haven't let me down.

It's damn near impossible to match the orange/goldish color of the print, so it really limits me on my options as an accent with a mat.

Sigma722

I was going to use pictureframes.com I've used them before and they haven't let me down.

It's damn near impossible to match the orange/goldish color of the print, so it really limits me on my options as an accent with a mat.

american frame will send you some matte samples if you find a few colors you like, not sure if pictureframes.com will too. worth a shot

Trasher

I didn't get a chance to say this as I lost my internet connection for a few days not long after purchasing it, but thanks for posting this. I'm tossing up between keeping it for myself or giving it to my father who is also a fan of Westerns.

No problem. Just realized the reg version sold out.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
In like 15 minutes, this rad piece drops at Bottleneck:

Ian Miller
Fish Portal
Screen print
18"x24"
Signed & Numbered edition of 75
$40
Buy Here @ 12PM EST today (2/17)
cJfapKfGo6KlE4pUqO1xS-vnmr6PfkXRWAQAUigNahodkckIuAFSmwVXn62cm_Uyri65MVz3woAghiT6as3aQbKFxc8LyO17O-ReLBR4lOsubSrfeUG3FAsATzNpi_3yjjmD_jzX2QugPEZ60ndJommK0YRGULjU1xkPy0E=s0-d-e1-ft

KillGore

So after getting my first poster ever (MGS Ninja one), how much bigger should the frame be? Lets say the poster is 24 inches tall, would a frame 36 inches tall be too big?

IronRinn

So after getting my first poster ever (MGS Ninja one), how much bigger should the frame be? Lets say the poster is 24 inches tall, would a frame 36 inches tall be too big?

Frames are measured to fit the posters they are cut for. If you buy a 24" x 36" frame, it is made so that the interior dimensions will fit a poster measuring 24" x 36". The outside perimeter will be larger than that, depending on the width of the framing material. You can put a 18" x 24" poster in a 24" x 36" frame if you want, but you'll want to use a mat that will fill up all the empty space that would be around the print (additionally it would help to keep the print from touching the glass.) In the case of my example, the mat would be 6" on the top and bottom and 3" on the left and right (based on vertical orientation.)

Bii

Keep in mind, that MGS print's dimension is actually 18 1/4"x24" or something like that.

I keep putting off getting my stuff framed, worrying about how to take proper care of it and all that jazz. As soon as I start to think about doing stuff "properly", the cost just seems to skyrocket :'(

Do we need to be on a PM list to know what the new commission will be ? Or should I just keep checking the thread ?

Moving into a new apartment so I'm looking around for a new poster to hang up :)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Got my Ghost in the Shell framed and it's now up in my office.

gits2.jpg

Terrible picture, but it's hard to get a good direct photo between the bad lighting and the foil. I did a shadow box with some matting inside the frame.

gits1.jpg

Here's a close up to show the color inside of the frame.

Do we need to be on a PM list to know what the new commission will be ? Or should I just keep checking the thread ?

Moving into a new apartment so I'm looking around for a new poster to hang up :)

I would just hang around the thread. The list will probably go up when MB knows it's definitely a go.

LaneDS

Even if it's hard to see in photos, looks awesome and cool frame job. You happy with how it turned out?

Also, Horkey to the right?

Meier

Still can't believe I didn't get that print. Mondocon was a real piece of shit. :mad:

The Godzilla print they unveiled today looks awesome. First time I've been interested in awhile.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Even if it's hard to see in photos, looks awesome and cool frame job. You happy with how it turned out?

Also, Horkey to the right?

Thanks! I dig how it came out. Having it float is a nice touch keeping with what Motoko is doing there.

It's a hard print to frame. There's a lot of stuff going on with it. At one point I was looking at metal frames and silver mattes. Thought that would've been overboard with the foil.

Yeah, that's my Horkey on the right. I'm turning that into a Game of Thrones wall.

Still can't believe I didn't get that print. Mondocon was a real piece of shit. :mad:.

Maybe this year will be different, if there is one. I hope there is.

I just want an excuse to go back and eat.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Thanks! I dig how it came out. Having it float is a nice touch keeping with what Motoko is doing there.

It's a hard print to frame. There's a lot of stuff going on with it. At one point I was looking at metal frames and silver mattes. Thought that would've been overboard with the foil.

Yeah, that's my Horkey on the right. I'm turning that into a Game of Thrones wall.

Maybe this year will be different, if there is one. I hope there is.

I just want an excuse to go back and eat.

Yeap, best part of the trip was eating and drinking and exploring. Basically, the con was the lowlight.

IronRinn

ALL FOIL RUN! That's pretty exciting. Anyone take a guess at the artist? I can't figure it out, so many artists working with Bottleneck.

First guess was Raid71 but on second though it may not be him. Now I have no idea.

Preview of the Perillo print from them today:

w9O0y5K.jpg

fCbEmVW.jpg

Sweet, sweet metallic ink.

Edit: ICO HAS ARRIVED.

Edit 2: Only looked inside the tube but, damn, people weren't kidding about the paper. This thing looks like it was printed on card stock. Also, mystery packing material! What could the "[...]ason Code" be that MB ordered from Best Buy?

Man, I love Randy Ortiz (his Thing poster is perfect) but his Godzilla from Mondo feels underwhelming. I don't know if its maybe something you have to see in person to really get the feeling for it but it just didn't sing to me. Ah well.

KillGore

Frames are measured to fit the posters they are cut for. If you buy a 24" x 36" frame, it is made so that the interior dimensions will fit a poster measuring 24" x 36". The outside perimeter will be larger than that, depending on the width of the framing material. You can put a 18" x 24" poster in a 24" x 36" frame if you want, but you'll want to use a mat that will fill up all the empty space that would be around the print (additionally it would help to keep the print from touching the glass.) In the case of my example, the mat would be 6" on the top and bottom and 3" on the left and right (based on vertical orientation.)

Keep in mind, that MGS print's dimension is actually 18 1/4"x24" or something like that.

If I use a mat, would the frame size (24"x36") be too big for the poster (18"x24")? Is that normal with posters that use a mat or should the space be thinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom